Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

In hindsight, Load wasn't that bad. Different, and not a metal album, but it was something different when compared to the black album. That's all I want anyway. If it's different and good, I'm happy.
    Still looking forward to hearing the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭fluke

I'd love if they played more Load stuff (Reload suffers from Sequelitis, even if the songs were written in the same period as Load, it just doesn't click the way Load does).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

fluke wrote: »
    Aside for the new material Metallica are sort of cornered in terms of setlists (their setlist fan submission thing a couple of years ago was pretty uninspired - all good songs but all the songs Metallica frequently play). Nobody really wants to hear St Anger stuff, and Load/Reload material seems to be off the table also.

Lars did talk about that in depth, when tickets went on sale to fan club members they voted and the setlists were awesome, then tickets went on general sale and the One, Nothing Else Matters brigade took over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't mind the songs they include usually but the same ending drives me nuts. It's either NEM and ES as the last songs in the main set and S&D as the last encore or S&D as the last song in the main set and NEM/ES as the last song in the encore.

Play ES third in the set list or something for God's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Sad but True is a godawfully boring song. I hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

Some really cool pics posted up on Therapy?'s Facebook page.
    Metallica and Anthrax Belfast '86

scudzilla wrote: »
    Lars did talk about that in depth, when tickets went on sale to fan club members they voted and the setlists were awesome, then tickets went on general sale and the One, Nothing Else Matters brigade took over

Any link to article/clip where he says this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Aside from the new material, Metallica are sort of cornered in terms of setlists (their setlist fan submission thing a couple of years ago was pretty uninspired - all good songs but all the songs Metallica frequently play). Nobody really wants to hear St Anger stuff, and Load/Reload material seems to be off the table also.
    To be fair , we got the first ever full version of Frayed through it. A few other lesser played songs like Justice and St Anger too (which regardless of what you think of the album, is a pretty good song imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Maybe they weren't into bands which have long outstayed their welcome.

Maybe this thread isn't for you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Moth Into Flame from their appearance on Fallon last night..

And James on what the album is about lyrically, taken from their interview with the BBC here http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37504227
    It's dealing with fame - and for everyone that's their goal: 'I want to be famous!'

And there's also the topic of, 'Man, are we really doing this right?' In the timeline of history, man has been around for a nanosecond and I'm thinking: 'Are we done now? Have we had our time?'

There's a lot of polarization going on in the States, and I see it other places as well. But it just seems like you have to get more extreme to balance out the other extreme. We've got to find some balance in the middle here somewhere.

We stay away from politics and religion. That just seems to polarize people even more. We all have our own beliefs, but at the end of the day, we're trying to connect with people and it seems like political views don't do that as much as music does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

buck65 wrote: »
    Sad but True is a godawfully boring song. I hate it.

I've been wanting that song to be thrown off their setlist for years, they play it at every single show, only because it was a single, I think it's probably their most overrated song, give me The God That Failed any day instead or something they never play off the Justice album, like Eye of the Beholder or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Maybe this thread isn't for you so.
    Perhaps somewhere without boring sods like Lithium93 posting the same old crap about the same old bands instead of being adventurous would be better. What do you think?

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    I've been wanting that song to be thrown off their setlist for years, they play it at every single show, only because it was a single, I think it's probably their most overrated song, give me The God That Failed any day instead or something they never play off the Justice album, like Eye of the Beholder or something.

I wish they'd swap out Sad for The Frayed Ends Of Sanity..

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I wish they'd swap out Sad for The Frayed Ends Of Sanity..

Yeah, quality tune, saw the clip of them playing it for the first time in full in Helsinki, would like to hear it too instead of Sad but True. I'd pick a lot of songs off most of their albums instead of Sad but True, I'd rather hear 2 instrumentals on the same night than Sad but True again, it needs to be put out to pasture in favour of something else on the older albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭KH25

I'd gladly hear sad but true over nothing else matters.

KH25 wrote: »
    I'd gladly hear sad but true over nothing else matters.

They play both at every show going by every setlist for the past 25 years or so, they are permanent staples for a show. I like nothing else matters to be honest, I know it's played a lot but I never complain about it really. I would pick fade to black over it though.

When is the last time they played Escape?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

When is the last time they played Escape?

When they played it the only time, their music festival they tried 2012?...basically they played RTL in full so obviously couldn't avoid playing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Perhaps somewhere without boring sods like Lithium93 posting the same old crap about the same old bands instead of being adventurous would be better. What do you think?

If you aren't interested in the topic being discussed then there's no reason to post. Particularly if it's to insult other forum users.

Please keep on topic and play nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I love these 'making of' videos they're doing. Interesting to see Lars' involvement with arrangements etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

That new album is pretty poor.Heard a few songs sh1te

ROY RACE wrote: »

Basing an album 8 years in the making on 2 singles :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

ROY RACE wrote: »

Walk on, you've never posted in this thread before.

John Bush on the band from an interview with Metal Insider
    I don’t think anyone expected Metallica to become the beast that they became. Well, maybe Lars did because Lars is Lars (laughs). They became this giant monstrosity of a band regardless of genres. You could sense there was something about them that was special, and people felt this connection that was a little more than the average band was getting, but to what degree, I don’t know. I think a lot of times it is about the timing, and their timing was perfect, and they certainly backed it up with a lot of important music and records that were just pivotal. They just exploded on the Black record. It’s all just very solid and legitimate because they’re an amazing band – they wrote songs that just connected with a lot of people. Even during those years where people were saying, "Oh, they cut their hair!” on the Load album – to me, they were always doing something to push the envelope a little bit.

When you have a long career, there are going to be times when you don’t hit the mark every time, in terms of always connecting with people. I love U2, and there was a time when there was a huge backlash with that band – they became so big there was that natural reaction to go, “Ah, I don’t like them anymore.” I know that feeling, because I feel that way towards bands as well. Even back then, though, Metallica was doing things that were pushing the boundaries – for that I always respected them. They didn’t try to mail it in and reproduce Master of Puppets every time, which you can’t do. I think that’s a mistake – I’d rather see bands trudge forward and say, “We’re here – this is where we’re at now.” You always look back and see that the roots of the band are entrenched, but I like when bands move forward and hit new territory – Metallica has always done that.

http://www.metalinsider.net/interviews/interview-john-bush-talks-armored-saint-live-album-metallica-pledgemusic-campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The more I listen to it, the more i love Moth Into Flame.

It's a lot better than Hardwired - maybe they should have put this out first! Really looking forward to this new album now. No harm they are leaving the ballad out, but I wonder, will we get our usual instrumental track on there - I hope so, these are usually stand outs for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Pointed out to me that Hardwired's chorus steals lyrics from Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown) from Tenacious D's Pick of Destiny movie

Now I cannot unhear :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I read an interview with Kirk where he said they paid homage to Bowie on master of puppets rather than blatantly steal a riff from him!

he said check out the song "andy warhol" to hear our amazing homage to bowie ha!!

Pointed out to me that Hardwired's chorus steals lyrics from Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown) from Tenacious D's Pick of Destiny movie

Now I cannot unhear :P

Shít out of luck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Shít out of luck?

Tenacious D:
    Yes you are fücked
    shizz out of luck
    now I am complete
    and my cöck you will suck

Metallica
    We are so fücked
    shizz out of luck
    hardwired to self destruct

• Advertisement

Tenacious D:

Metallica

""Wait... waaaaitttt.....waaaaittt you mutha Fúka!!!! We challenge you to a Rock Off!!!"

Love that song, Grohl does a great job as Beelzeboss too!

Advertisement