Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

Interview with Joel McIvor on Tom Dunne Show this evening. Discussing Cliff's 30th Anniversary. You'll be able to listen back on the Newstalk website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Pointed out to me that Hardwired's chorus steals lyrics from Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown) from Tenacious D's Pick of Destiny movie

Now I cannot unhear :P

First thing I thought of when I heard it!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So What! thought it'd be cool to have a Fifth Member report on Webster Hall for a fresh "fan backstage" perspective, it's a lengthy read.
    I think I am going to throw up.

I am a nervous wreck.

I am standing at the barrier watching Metallica do a sound check all by myself.

What???

How did this happen to me?

I mean I love them and have been a card-carrying Club Member for eight years. We all have a path in life, and mine didn’t lead me to Metallica until 2008. I met Pete (my husband) when we were both in the U.S. Army in 1997. I had just returned from Korea and he was the second person I met when I arrived at Fort Hood, Texas. He was not the typical person I was attracted to. He swore, a lot. He had tattoos. He smoked cigarettes. He rode motorcycles. He listened to metal. Opposites attract right? My Dad was going to kill me if I brought this guy home. When I was a kid, my very strict, Sicilian Catholic father never wanted me to listen to Metallica or that type of music (it might be the devil). So I grew up on ‘70s classic rock and ‘80s pop. Pete proposed to me on Valentine’s Day 1999. “Nothing Else Matters” was playing in the background. We got married in May 1999. Pete had our wedding bands engraved “Nothing Else Matters.” My family met Pete for the very first time at our wedding.

Six years later in 2005 our lives would forever change. Pete was in a horrible near death motorcycle accident. I was four hours away from home when I got the phone call that I needed to get the hospital immediately because he was not going to make it. He broke nearly every bone in his body, severed his spine, suffered through fourth degree burns, and sustained a traumatic brain injury. When I got to the hospital, he was in a coma. Evidently, he not only was thrown from his bike, he slid under a car, was wrapped up in the car’s muffler, and the driver had no idea there was a body attached underneath and began to drive dragging him about half a block. He was in the coma for about three weeks. When he woke up, he had no idea who I was. He just knew that me being around brought him comfort so he always wanted me to stay. I slept most nights on two folding chairs next to his bed, because every time he would reach out to for my hand, if I wasn’t there he would scream and have tantrums. At this point they said he would never walk again. He was in the hospital for three months. When he came home he was bedridden and was only mobile if I physically picked him up and put him in his wheelchair. He had no strength to do anything himself as he lost 50 lbs. in the hospital from muscle atrophy. It was very difficult for him as he was in the Army for 10 years and never had to rely on someone else to do anything for him. He would sit in his wheelchair angry and depressed, holding his cane on his lap and breaking things in his path with it.

Over the next three years of therapy, he was able to start walking again completely on his own. He doesn’t even have a limp now. Once he reached this accomplishment, he said to me, “Metallica is coming to Oakland in December, can we go?” I had to say okay. At this point nothing had motivated him to leave the house and interact with people other than family. So even though I wasn’t that interested in going to see Metallica, I felt I needed to do it for him. Another life changing moment. My first concert, on the barrier, at one point James reached out and touched my hand, I swear I felt electricity. I left that night with a bruise of a footprint on my back from a crowd surfer, but I knew I needed more of this in my life. The crazy raw energy from the crowd, it was so contagious, you couldn’t help but feel like one singular body. This was the first time since Pete’s accident I saw light in his eyes. Something motivated him to live again. I knew in that moment, Metallica brought him back to me and as long as I live, I was going to take him every chance we had. In that environment, listening to their music, feeling the energy of the crowd, he was allowed to be himself and not be ashamed. So I became the designated line holder so he could keep his body rested until the concert, then we banged our heads together on the barrier. Depending on the crowd activity he might be bedridden once we got home for a while and back in his wheelchair. But it is all worth it to him, and to me, to see him smile and want to live again. For that, I will be forever grateful. Where he broke nearly every bone in his body, severed his spine, suffered through 4th degree burns, and sustained a traumatic brain injury. Where he broke nearly every bone in his body, severed his spine, suffered through 4th degree burns, and sustained a traumatic brain injury. Once I became a fan there was no turning back. I hit it hard (well I think so anyway). Twenty shows in those eight years. All on the barrier. All waiting in line starting at 2am, making friends that I now call family. The experience of the wait is all a part of the show; we all build the tightest bonds in those hours. Then we all meet up and head to the next show. We have each other’s backs, we sing, we bang our heads, we lock arms so others can’t come between us. They also try to protect me and Pete from the surge of the crowd moshing behind us. Afterword we hug, cry, smile, and say see you at the next gig. It’s family.

Has this really happened to me?

I started out in the “loser” line today. For those of you wondering what that is, it is a term used by Club Members that do not win tickets to a concert that is only available through a random drawing we enter. We all wait in this line hoping that people don’t show up who have tickets and we will be let in until capacity reached. I learned about this line in San Francisco in 2011 at the Fillmore for the 30-year anniversary shows. In my experience with this line, we have always ended up making it in. So here I was again, hoping for a chance to get into Webster Hall for this epic event. My bag was packed and I was ready to meet up with my friends.

Around 10am I got a somewhat cryptic message to meet up at the Electric Lady Studio at 12:15, don’t be late and keep this information to myself. Um, ok. So I gathered my bag and headed over. A little over a week prior to this, the Club had reached out and asked if our chapter had someone readily available in Manhattan with no other information, just someone to be there at the drop of a hat. I work in Manhattan and am there every day. I just thought maybe someone wanted to do a short interview about our chapter. I heard nothing from the Club again until I got the text to meet up at the studio. So I was completely in the dark about the day’s events that were about to unfold and frankly had written off any chance of them even getting back in contact. I met up with Steffan at Electric Lady Studios and he said, “Do you know what this is about?” I had no clue except it must have something to do with Metallica. He said, “This is the new album playback. You need to turn in your phone, they will give you a notepad and pen. I will come back for you in two hours.” Steffan handed me a laminate to wear around my neck and said, “Tuck this under your shirt and don’t lose it.” Oh my gosh!!! Is this really happening?

I was one of the last people to get a seat after going through security and turning all my belongings in. I saw an empty seat close to the door. I wanted to sit as soon as possible because I felt like I was going to pass out. I asked the man next to it if this seat was taken. He replied no so I took a seat and opened up my notebook. A bit confused, a bit anxious, but very excited. I looked around; it was dark with fluorescent bulbs hanging down, a bit boogie nights feeling. I had never been in a studio before so I had no idea what the norm is. I made small talk with the man sitting next to me, his name was Rod, he was from Australia, he seemed intrigued with the big doe eyed, and smiley face look I have on my face the whole time. He could obviously tell I was not press or even a writer. After we were done, Steffan came to get me and asked whom the man was I was talking to. Oh, that is my new friend Rod, from Rolling Stone Magazine.

We leave the building and I thought this is the end of the day. I just met the Lars, James, and Kirk, I got a picture with them I was on cloud nine. Then Steffan and I went to a hole in the wall down the street to wait out the time for the Webster Hall show to start. We watched a soccer game, “our” team won (Spurs! – SW! ED), ate some chicken wings, I asked if I could tell anyone where I was yet and he said no not yet. Then we headed over to Webster Hall. I saw from a distance the line to get in. I tried not to make eye contact or be seen even though I wanted to go over and hug everyone. We went in through a side entrance and met up with security on the first floor. I listened in on the security briefing and it was hardcore. They talked about the different passes to get in, how to keep things orderly, where to stand, and to remain calm at all times. I was introduced to a couple people, one of them being the head of security, Seth, so they would know I was allowed to be wandering around all night. Then we headed up to the second floor. As we walked in I look up and Metallica was on the stage doing a sound check.

But this, wow! Never in my lifetime did I think I would get an opportunity like this. I actually got to see the steps they take, the routine, the hard work (and I mean hard) that these guys have to put into an event. I counted at least three times they played “Orion” to make sure they had it perfect for the show later. After the first time, Lars asked me how it sounded. I said, “It sounds awesome!” He said, “You are too kind.” I just chuckled and smiled. Really, I was just in shock that I was there. How could I hear if something was wrong or even tell them if I did, right? I still felt like, “Why did they pick me for this?” I felt so undeserving, but grateful and humbled.

I was so timid and nervous at first, following my “chaperone” around like a baby. I was so scared I would get in the way or mess something up. But, then he said wander around, soak it all in. So I stood right in the middle of the barrier as each member of the band would step in front of me and play. There were people taking pictures and videos all around. Security was everywhere. As I was standing there just staring and smiling at everything I see, Lars came out to ask how it’s going. Then much to my surprise James came out to the floor and came up to me back to back playing as I stared in awe at Kirk. I had no clue he was there, I just felt a warm back against my back. I turned to see what it was. I can’t imagine the look of shock on my face. I was in another world. What a prankster. Certainly shocked the heck out me. Then Lars came back out. Asked me if I play drums, I said no very adamantly not wanting to embarrass myself when he asked if I wanted to get behind his kit and bang some notes out. So instead, he said to come up and sat me just in front of the kit. I could barely move. I was in complete shock. I had Robert to my right asking me where I am from and telling me he is going to visit my old hometown of Santa Cruz after they get back to California. Kirk was sitting next to me on my left telling me no eye contact but laughing as he said it. Lars was sitting on the stage in front of me, and James began to sing “Fade to Black”. Lars got up and said, “I’ll be right back,” banged out a few notes, then sat in front of me again. This was unbelievable. If I was dreaming, I never wanted to wake up. If I was awake, I never wanted to close my eyes. James threw a pic at me it slid on the stage floor toward the drum kit. I jumped up and grabbed it, put it in my pocket immediately as I would if I was on the barrier. He laughed and said, “She got it!”

It felt like sound check went on for an hour and a half at least. New songs, old songs, not every song they were going to play that night. But for that moment, I was really truly the fifth member of the band. The interaction they share onstage, they are brothers. They were serious, they were goofy, they were nice, they were charming, and they were freaking awesome! I am an even bigger fan now.

We started to walk upstairs to the third floor, very steep steps in this old historic building. I was so out of shape climbing these stairs. How do these guys put on an entire show size sound check, then play the actual show? I definitely need to get my booty in shape, and I think they might just be a little older than me. Wow, the effort they have to put in just to maintain, is incredible.

I got to the “backstage” area. There was food and beverages and a completely new crew of people making things function properly. The band came in to eat; well I saw James and Kirk. I hadn’t seen Robert or Lars upstairs at this point. I can’t remember any names I was told; I feel awful about that. Well, maybe I remember one or two, no offence to anyone else.

This was just a completely overwhelming experience. (It is a day later and my head is still in the clouds.)

First, it was all business, they were looking over their itineraries for the upcoming days. Then they started eating and socializing with the rest of the crew. These are real people.

All of the sudden Jim Breuer walked in. James and Jim shot the breeze for a while. It was really cute; they are genuine friends. I finally built up the courage to talk to James. I told him my story of how I became a fan, I told him I felt guilty because I haven’t been a fan long and he smiled and said very sarcastically, “Oh right, because if you weren’t a fan as of a certain date you are not a real fan?” Then just smiled and chuckled a little. He made me feel right at ease. He was genuinely touched by my story. He put his hand over his heart a couple times then he hugged me probably three times. I told him how Metallica brought Pete back to me after his accident and I swear I saw a tear in his eye. He asked if he could have a chapter shirt. Luckily, I had them as I was going to sell them in the loser line throughout the day. He asked me what my husband’s name is (who all along had no idea what was going on, the last text he got from me was, “They are taking my phone, good luck in line, I think I am going to be able to get into the show so don’t worry about me, love you.” Something like that.) I told him his name is Pete and if it was not for him, I am not sure if/when I would have ever listened to Metallica. He changed my life. I must have been so annoying to everyone; I was really worried about getting Pete his cough drops since I left with all our stuff and hadn’t seen him for at least six hours. I might have even mentioned it during this conversation as I heard the crowd running in…eek, I am such a dork and I worry about him way too much.

Then the entire band was backstage doing a tuning session. It was so quiet compared to the sound check. Not sure how many songs they went through, I could barely hear. That lasted at least half an hour. My times may be completely wrong, but I was so overwhelmed, because then I was being introduced to Chloe, Robert’s wife, and Jim Breuer was against the wall on his phone. I was interchanging cell phone charges in the outlet for a few people; someone brought a toddler up. This was real life. The sound check ended. All the guys walked past me and smiled. Just before they were about to hit the stage, Lars turned around, came back to me, gave me a big bear hug, and gave me a really solid kiss on my cheek. Too bad I had to wash my face when I got home.

I went downstairs to buy some merch before the show started, because Pete was front and center on the barrier and couldn’t leave. So I snuck behind the insane crowd who were chanting for Metallica to come out and bought the stuff I needed. I went back upstairs, trying to scope out a place to watch the show from. I ended up in the balcony closest to the stage, standing between Jim Breuer and Chloe Trujillo. This was insane. I was looking down at the crowd. I saw Pete, he was doing ok; I saw my family. My Metallica Family. The band took the stage and the crowd freaked out. A huge mosh pit started circling, crowd surfers were going nuts. I kept looking at Pete to see if he was okay, if his glasses were broken. It was crazy to see from this angle. I realized I get kicked in the head a lot when I am down there. The band was interacting with the crowd, showing them so much love. They were amazing. They played “Orion” and the crowd got quiet. Afterwards, James exclaimed, “We miss you Cliff, 30 years gone.” Never forgotten. Wow! The show took on a whole new meaning. It was not just a show, it was about family, whether fans, reporters, photographers, crew, band members, or brand new listeners who are skeptical, like I once was. We all belong. We are all the fifth member.

The band came back for the encore… James looked out into the crowd and said, “Where’s Pete?” What??? Was this really happening? Pete yelled back and raised his arms. James said, “This is dedicated to you, you’re a survivor…” They played “Whiskey...” I just know this was on the set list for Cliff. It is also just happens to be my favorite cover they perform. I was overwhelmed with emotion. I felt so much love through their passion. After they finished the song, James put his hand to his heart and said, “That was for you Pete.” James remembered his name! He was really listening when I was talking to him. Not sure if he remembered my name, but Pete was just fine by me. After all, if it wasn’t for Pete, I wouldn’t have even been there in that moment, listening to music I love, and loving a family I never knew I needed to make me whole.

So, now it is about five days post show. I am still in disbelief that this all happened. It has been a whirlwind of emotions. Did I do the right things, did I say the right words, did I make a fool of myself, did they really pick the right person for this (I still don’t know how I got so lucky other than just being in the New York Chapter of the fan club and possibly the fact that I stayed pretty calm and didn’t freak Steffan out when we first met), should I have asked for an autograph? I was so overwhelmed. I was so happy for this opportunity but at the same time I felt guilty that it was me and not my friends. This was the most surreal, exciting experience of my life. I just keep finding myself thinking of small things, like James holding his heart, Lars coming back and giving me a hug and a kiss, Kirk winking at me, and Robert sitting next to me asking me questions about my life. They are really real, not just a machine. I got to be a part of their world. It may have been a brief moment for them, but it was a huge moment for me, that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Please don’t wake me, I want to live in this dream forever. I can’t wait to tell my dad. Now he goes to Metallica Giants night every year, he watched them do the National Anthem for the Warriors and the Sharks, he never misses a live stream when I am at a concert, and he will re-watch it over and over until he finds me. He is an “unofficial” fifth member. I think on my next visit to Santa Cruz to, I am going to have him officially join the Club. He even has my 90-year-old grandma watching it with him. Metallica is in us all, some of us just take a little longer to realize it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

apologies if this was posted earlier, im too lazy to check. might bring back some memories in here:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

That was a crazy gig!!

• Advertisement

That was a crazy gig!!

my first ever gig, some great memories watching it last night. i was only a pup at 18, in the big smoke, more or less on me own. it was overwhelming really, was in awe watching them.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    my first ever gig, some great memories watching it last night. i was only a pup at 18, in the big smoke, more or less on me own. it was overwhelming really, was in awe watching them.

That was my 3rd Metallica gig(after Dublin '92, and Donington '95).

I read about it in Kerrang the week before that gig, and I was blown away. Was mad getting a stage like that into a kip like the Point!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

That was my 3rd Metallica gig(after Dublin '92, and Donington '95).

I read about it in Kerrang the week before that gig, and I was blown away. Was mad getting a stage like that into a kip like the Point!!!

ah ive great memories of the point, seen some great gigs there but they have done a fantastic job of modernising it.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I think I was at that gig. Was that the one with tenacious d supporting?

no coc supported them. they were great to. didnt even know about them before the gig. fan now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Nah that was '08

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

ah ive great memories of the point, seen some great gigs there but they have done a fantastic job of modernising it.

Time for a little bedtime story from yer Uncle Scud

I moved here from Wales in July 2006, had a job starting in Sept '06 so was after something small and not too strenous to tide me over, applied for Sword Event Gaurd who were doing security for the Marlay Park gigs, they put me as night time security in the old point, 3 14hr shifts per week, easy money

Turn up on my first night , was a Monday, now no gigs were on, but i was working the Pearl Jam gig there on the Wed.

So i turns up, and loads of gear is being loaded in, nothing scheduled though, find out it's Pearl Jam's stage being set up and tested for the Euro tour, which was kicking off on the Wed in Dublin, so the crew set up the stage and the lady who did the lights stayed until around 3am perfecting things.

Cue the Tuesday night, Pearl Jam played a full 2 1/2 rehearshal show to about 10 people (myself included) met the guys and they were sound.

Come 4am, there's only myself and a few other security on site so what is a man to do, PLAY THE FECKIN DRUMS THATS WHAT!!!!

Gig was awesome on the Wed too

I quit on the Friday :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

no coc supported them. they were great to. didnt even know about them before the gig. fan now

Same as yourself. I had heard of them, but their set was blinding that night. Went and bought Wiseblood the next day, and it's a great album.

Lol no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Photos from their latest video shoot

https://metallica.com/media/photos/23824

Lars looked bored as f&@k lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

They really are churning out videos very fast aren't they?

With previous albums they didn't have as many videos out before the album's release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    They really are churning out videos very fast aren't they?

With previous albums they didn't have as many videos out before the album's release.

I think it's the nature of modern music marketing. The video for Moth into Flame is being shot at the same time with the same director as the new one.

Slayer shot a trilogy 3 videos for Repentless with the same director. The window for marketing an album seems to be shorter these days so the video release schedule is closer together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Not sure if anyone else has seen this.

It's actually ****in cool. The guy nailed the guitar and drum sounds perfectly.

• Advertisement

If my auntie had bollox, she'd be my uncle.

seachto7 wrote: »
    If my auntie had bollox, she'd be my uncle.

EmeiAe5.gif

:pac:

Sorry, but these "if Hardwired was on AJFA" videos are silly. Fair play to the work gone into them, but I don't see the point other than people with too much time on their hands showing how good they are editing music.
    "If Achtung Baby was on AJFA" etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sorry, but these "if Hardwired was on AJFA" videos are silly. Fair play to the work gone into them, but I don't see the point other than people with too much time on their hands showing how good they are editing music.

I enjoyed it the first time I saw one but now everyone is doing it and the novelty has worn off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I enjoyed moth into flames one, the rest are shíte and everyone is at it now so yeah the novelty has worn off at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I'm not too sure what the point of them is either? I'd understand if they made shyte of it again so this was a way to display that the songs are good, but just badly produced. But imo the tones and production here are good. The one where they ran through each albums sounds was interesting, but it's not as if I'll ever listen to that even a second time...

I only posted it because I thought it was cool. Tbh the new songs are better sonically than Justice by far. I think it's interesting though, how so many people are like "nah man they've changed their writing style is so different now just listen to the riffs and structure".... Throw a few justice tones on the new tracks and you'll see the writing is exactly the same.

Atlas Rise teaser and a countdown to the song being released on Monday.

https://metallica.com/atlasrise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Atlas Rise teaser and a countdown to the song being released on Monday.

https://metallica.com/atlasrise

Really looking forward to this album, moth into flame is fcuking amazing, it's technical too. Never saw so much anticipation for a metallica album since the release of AJFA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Never saw so much anticipation for a metallica album since the release of AJFA.

You mean to tell me you weren't this hyped up a couple of weeks before Lulu came out...?????

Advertisement