Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

You mean to tell me you weren't this hyped up a couple of weeks before Lulu came out...?????

What's Lulu? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

What's Lulu? :)

I wish I could blank it from my memory too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

You mean to tell me you weren't this hyped up a couple of weeks before Lulu came out...?????

Lulu was dropped unexpecedly. No one knew it was coming so I'd love to know how anyone could have been hyped about it. It was streaming the day it was announced they were working on it.

There wasn't much hype about DM as far as I remember, this is different, it's technical and got the tempo of RTL, MOP and AJFA. Maybe splitting up with Bob was a good thing, he brought the tempo of metallica way down.

I'd say Jason is fcuking raging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Metallica channelling their inner Maiden. 3 songs so far and I'm liking the vibe from the new album so far,moth into flame has been on heavy rotation in the car lately and I'm loving it,absolute better of a track. Looking forward to giving this a few spins but on first listen it's very Metallica but not Metallica if that makes any sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Getting a Hallowed Be Thy Name vibe from it.. Just 4 weeks to go..

Lyrics
    Bitterness and burden
    Curses rest on thee
    Solitaire and sorrow
    All Eternity

Save the Earth and claim perfection
    Deem the mass and blame rejection
    Hold the pose, reign perception
    Grudges break your back

All you bear
    All you carry
    All you bear
    Place it right on, right on me

Die as you suffer in vain
    Own all the grief and the pain
    Die as you hold up the skies
    Atlas, Rise!

How does it feel on your own?
    Bound by the world all alone
    Crushed under heavy skies
    Atlas, Rise!

Crucify and witness
    Circling the sun
    Bastardize and ruin
    What have you become?

Blame the world, and blame your maker
    Wish ‘em to the undertaker
    Crown yourself the other savior
    So you carry on

All you bear
    All you carry
    All you bear
    Place it right on me, right on me

Atlas, Rise!

Atlas, Rise!

Masquerade as maker
    Heavy is the crown
    Beaten down and broken
    Drama wears you down

Overload, the martyr stumbles
    Hit the ground and heaven crumbles
    All alone, the fear shall humble
    Swallow all your pride

All you bear
    All you carry
    All you bear
    Place it right on, right on me

Atlas, Rise!

Atlas, Rise!

lord lucan wrote: »
    Metallica channelling their inner Maiden. 3 songs so far and I'm liking the vibe from the new album so far,moth into flame has been on heavy rotation in the car lately and I'm loving it,absolute better of a track. Looking forward to giving this a few spins but on first listen it's very Metallica but not Metallica if that makes any sense!

There was a part in that where the harmonies sounded like Maiden alright. Some solo from Kirk too.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Getting a Hallowed Be Thy Name vibe from it.. Just 4 weeks to go..

2 and a bit (Nov 18)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Seems a bit long and over indulgent. It will grow on me though, Moth in Flame probably my favourite song in years.

Ranking the 3 released so far, I'd go

1. Moth Into Flame
    2. Atlas, Rise!
    3. Hardwired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Moth into flame is an absolute belter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Have to say lads I love that track and cannot wait for the new album...Looking like it's going to be a cracker:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Got a maiden vibe off it myself, dying to hear the rest.

I hope it doesn't leak like Death Magnetic did in 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I don't know, might do a few before when a few million copies of CDs have been distributed, someone will smuggle them out. Or someone with a sneaky flash drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I hope it does, just to piss off Lars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭fluke

I hope it does, just to piss off Lars.

That's a real backward and destructive mentality. Say what you will about his skills but he's still a part of the band, and like it or not part of what made them so successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I'm only half liking the new tracks, it's not really anything new... I'm a bit bored of tbh. I might buy the new album, and will travel to see them when they tour, but I'm just finding it hard to get excited about this. It just feels like another Death Magnetic to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Kirk with the recycled Suicide & Redemption lick in the middle of the solo seemed a bit lazy. It fits and all, but seems a bit strange to include a snippet of another song in this.

Love Atlas Rise though. Hetfield sounds great. Kinda get a feel of Dyer's eve from the intro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Really really liking the new sound. Death magnetic seemed to be the same idea spread over the whole album. This feels so much fresher. Vocals much improved. Much better flow and groove to the songs. Getting very excited about the album now, Metallica are back baby.

D.Q wrote: »
    Really really liking the new sound. Death magnetic seemed to be the same idea spread over the whole album. This feels so much fresher. Vocals much improved. Much better flow and groove to the songs. Getting very excited about the album now, Metallica are back baby.

Me too, James has given up shouting and barking into the mike and is actually singing. The first 3 songs are savage, none of the songs on DM were anywhere near this new sound or as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

rob316 wrote: »
    Seems a bit long and over indulgent. It will grow on me though, Moth in Flame probably my favourite song in years.

So I played the **** out of it since yesterday and I really like it now. I still feel its a bit long and doesn't know where to end, but its catchy and the production is seriously sharp on this and the other tracks so far.

As some one else said DM felt very like the same idea applied to each track. Really looking forward to the 18th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭briany

To me, these songs are saying that the album will be very much to Death Magnetic what ReLoad was to Load. Very much a kindred thing, with a few tweaks and refinements here and there. That would be fine, except that Load and ReLoad were a year apart while this will be just over 8 years. You'd think in that time they would have made a significant departure, what with how Metallica have been over their career. To give an example of what I mean - 8 years is the same time difference between Justice for All and Load. Two wildly different sounds within the scope of heavy music.

And that's not to say that I think what I've been hearing is *bad*, but I do wonder how much their heart is in what they're making at the moment, given it felt like they'd been sort of dragging their heels in even making an album to begin with. Is it a thing they were doing totally of their own free will or something out of a mounting feeling of obligation as the years ticked past? And then the further question are they playing what they want to hear or what they think the fans want to hear, and devising a sound they think will please the most people? On the other hand, it could be that they've settled on this current sound, they're happy with it, and content to ride it into the sunset of their career. Maybe they see that as a fitting bookend to have started off thrashy and to finish thrashy, but I do kind of miss when Metallica would routinely alienate a large proportion of its fanbase with its new album, a tradition of theirs going right through from Justice to St. Anger and even on to Lulu if you want to count that as a full-fledged Metallica album.

fluke wrote: »
    That's a real backward and destructive mentality. Say what you will about his skills but he's still a part of the band, and like it or not part of what made them so successful.
    What's your point? Even die-hard Metallica fans acknowledge that Lars is a complete muppet.

What's your point? Even die-hard Metallica fans acknowledge that Lars is a complete muppet.

Die-hard Metallica fans also find it the most trite sentiment in the universe at this stage.

briany wrote: »
    Die-hard Metallica fans also find it the most trite sentiment in the universe at this stage.
    That's because it's true.

That's because it's true.

Many things are true....and quite obvious, also, which is why people giving reminders on them is utterly redundant.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    Many things are true....and quite obvious, also, which is why people giving reminders on them is utterly redundant.
    Is mentioning that Metallica haven't released a good album since 1988 and are unlikely to anytime soon also redundant in the same way?

Surely Metallica fans shouldn't have to be reminded of this.

Advertisement