Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭briany

Is mentioning that Metallica haven't released a good album since 1988 and are unlikely to anytime soon also redundant in the same way?

Surely Metallica fans shouldn't have to be reminded of this.

It's not so much redundant as it is blatantly untrue, and an opinion espoused by self-appointed purists of the genre. There are some things that are wildly popular but are fleeting in it, but the Black Album was not only wildly popular in its time, and it continued to sell very well for years and years afterward and spawned several of the band's most popular live staples. One may not agree with the direction the album took, but I don't much care for Miles Davis either, but I can see from the impact he had that he must have had something going on and was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

briany wrote: »
    It's not so much redundant as it is blatantly untrue, and an opinion espoused by self-appointed purists of the genre. There are some things that are wildly popular but are fleeting in it, but the Black Album was not only wildly popular in its time, and it continued to sell very well for years and years afterward and spawned several of the band's most popular live staples. One may not agree with the direction the album took, but I don't much care for Miles Davis either, but I can see from the impact he had that he must have had something going on and was good.
    How well the Black Album sold doesn't make any difference. I hate using the term 'sell-out' to describe something, but rather they just traded their creativity for something with a glossy sheen. And they had plenty of creativity on RtL, MoP and AJFA. It's not a bad album by the way, just average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Is mentioning that Metallica haven't released a good album since 1988 and are unlikely to anytime soon also redundant in the same way?

Ahh now. C'mon now. Whisht would ya. Have ye not listened to Lulu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

You've made handsome Lars sad now.

06j.jpg

I hope you're happy you monster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Do you have to be a purist to know that there's a lot of filler on the black album?

Typical designed-to-be-commercially-succesful rock album, 5-6 major tracks and then a bunch of by the numbers tunes to keep things moving along.

Compare to the first four albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,609 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Can you not just leave Metallica for the Metallica fans and let them be happy with it? The constant baiting is a bit sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. I personally think this new album is theirs, no Bob rock downing the tempo and no scrambling for a big producer to tell them what to do, this is going to be the first Metallica album written by themselves the old way since 1988. Can't wait for it to be released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Arghus wrote: »
    Can you not just leave Metallica for the Metallica fans and let them be happy with it? The constant baiting is a bit sad.
    I am a Metallica fan. The only difference is I don't treat them as sacred cows and I openly acknowledge their failings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,204 ✭✭✭✭briany

How well the Black Album sold doesn't make any difference. I hate using the term 'sell-out' to describe something, but rather they just traded their creativity for something with a glossy sheen. And they had plenty of creativity on RtL, MoP and AJFA. It's not a bad album by the way, just average.

It's not just how well the Black Album sold, but how well it continued to sell for years afterward which speaks of a lasting appeal rather than just a period of it being trendy, and when something lasts, I have to believe there's something to it. It put out 4 big hits for the band. The songs from the album have more cumulative live plays than any other Metallica album. The album had critical acclaim. I think when people call it 'average', they're just saying 'I never cared for it', which is totally fine, but it's weird to me when one tries to funnel a subjective opinion into some sort of fact when there's plenty of objective, statistical evidence to the contrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just received my 'Back to the Front' book in the post and had a flick through and it looks great. Can't wait to have a good scan through it later on.

One mystery cleared up on my quick scan though. The photo of them in a castle that always seems to be shown with the photo of them on the road in a Co. Louth village that we've always presumed to be Blarney Castle is in fact not in Ireland at all, but in Wales (Conwy Castle).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭fluke

What's your point? Even die-hard Metallica fans acknowledge that Lars is a complete muppet.

I made my point! Look your rationale is really basic.

As it is the band tethered on becoming a legacy act such was the lack of their output over the last few years, and you hope the album leaks so that Lars is pissed...so as to what.. discourage the band from recording more material in the future??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

briany wrote: »
    It's not just how well the Black Album sold, but how well it continued to sell for years afterward which speaks of a lasting appeal rather than just a period of it being trendy, and when something lasts, I have to believe there's something to it. It put out 4 big hits for the band. The songs from the album have more cumulative live plays than any other Metallica album. The album had critical acclaim. I think when people call it 'average', they're just saying 'I never cared for it', which is totally fine, but it's weird to me when one tries to funnel a subjective opinion into some sort of fact when there's plenty of objective, statistical evidence to the contrary.

The Black Album sells an average of 1 million copies a year today (worldwide) >260,000 per year in the US alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just received my 'Back to the Front' book in the post and had a flick through and it looks great. Can't wait to have a good scan through it later on.

One mystery cleared up on my quick scan though. The photo of them in a castle that always seems to be shown with the photo of them on the road in a Co. Louth village that we've always presumed to be Blarney Castle is in fact not in Ireland at all, but in Wales (Conwy Castle).

Hmmmm, any chance of a link to that pic, i grew up 4 miles from Conwy and only left there 10yrs ago, would be surprised if it was Conwy

scudzilla wrote: »
    Hmmmm, any chance of a link to that pic, i grew up 4 miles from Conwy and only left there 10yrs ago, would be surprised if it was Conwy

The middle pic in post #5873 in this thread is one of the photos in the book although it is wider in the book and you can see more of the castle. There are 3 others in the book too.

The middle pic in post #5873 in this thread is one of the photos in the book although it is wider in the book and you can see more of the castle. There are 3 others in the book too.

That's not Conwy, 100% sure of that

That's not Conwy, 100% sure of that

I'm only going by what's written in the book and I shouldn't really disagree with someone who grew up 4 miles from the place but when you compare the wider picture that's in the book with Google maps, you can clearly see features common to both, e.g. the bowling green on the opposite side of the river that's behind Cliff's head and there are a couple of houses too.

And if you saw the other pictures (sorry no scanner at home), you'd see that it definitely is Conwyn.

I'm only going by what's written in the book and I shouldn't really disagree with someone who grew up 4 miles from the place but when you compare the wider picture that's in the book with Google maps, you can clearly see features common to both, e.g. the bowling green on the opposite side of the river that's behind Cliff's head and there are a couple of houses too.

And if you saw the other pictures (sorry no scanner at home), you'd see that it definitely is Conwyn.

It's definately not Conwy, 100% sure of that, knew as soon as i saw the pic, i don't think that's a bowling green, and if it was, the castle doesn't extend to the bowling green at Conwy, like it does in the pic, there is a small river (River Gyffin) in between the castle and the green

It's definately not Conwy, 100% sure of that, knew as soon as i saw the pic, i don't think that's a bowling green, and if it was, the castle doesn't extend to the bowling green at Conwy, like it does in the pic, there is a small river (River Gyffin) in between the castle and the green

Maybe it's not a bowling green, but on the far side of the river (river can't be seen in the picture, obscured by wall) there is some sort of manicured field. You'll have to take my word for it but in the wider picture you can clearly see the features I've marked on the picture below.

11gu82q.jpg

And the other pictures, one is outside the castle which I compared with Google Street view and is bang on, one contains that path that runs up the middle of the ruins (and you can see the bay in the background) and the last one is that feature at the north west of the castle which seems to be 2 ball shaped stone yokes.

I'll scan in the full page in work tomorrow and you'll see.

EDIT - looking again, I think they're standing on the tower to the right of the star I've marked looking out towards the other features I've marked

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Metal Hammer review of the new album for those interested:

http://teamrock.com/review/2016-11-02/metallica-hardwired-to-self-destruct-album-review

Here's the full page. Should be enough to convince you.

34si5a9.jpg

• Advertisement

Here's the full page. Should be enough to convince you.

34si5a9.jpg

wow, i apologise, also quite happy now, heading home in dec on the pressie run, will have to go up the castle and sniff the spot where cliff stood

wow, i apologise, also quite happy now, heading home in dec on the pressie run, will have to go up the castle and sniff the spot where cliff stood

I'm loving the book by the way, even if it was bloody expensive. It's a great read with loads of great shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Just seen on their website that the are spending the week of the album's release in Europe. Wonder will they be coming here?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Just seen on their website that the are spending the week of the album's release in Europe. Wonder will they be coming here?

I saw something on their FB page about a special announcement in the UK this week relating to the album launch week, so my guess is they'll be doing a launch gig in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Pete Moss wrote: »
    I saw something on their FB page about a special announcement in the UK this week relating to the album launch week, so my guess is they'll be doing a launch gig in London.

They are having an intimate gig in HMV in London or something along those lines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    They are having an intimate gig in HMV in London or something along those lines

Midnight signing in HMV Oxford St on the 18th and a Fifth member gig in London the following day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Yeah right! More like end of next year, something was said that Europe will be a no go until the end of next year, I see two shows in 3 arena on the cards, you'll have to be quick to get tickets for the first show I'd reckon.

I'd be very surprised to see a show here this year, this is just a once off I'd say. Didn't they do a special show in London for the release of Death Magnetic too sure?

They're playing a small London show at House of Vans on Nov 18th, free tickets but you have to pay 20quid to charity on the door

Register here for the ballott

http://houseofvanslondon.com/events/calendar/events/metallica-hardwired-at-house-of-vans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That's some venue, looks small enough. i'd imagine you'd be deaf in no time :). http://www.archdaily.com/585818/house-of-vans-london-tim-greatrex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Moth to Flame is a cracking tune.

Advertisement