Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I think Load is a great album. Some great tracks on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Load came along at the right time for me, as I had been mad into metal from about 89 to 95, and metal only,mainly Metallica. I had short hair, and used to get ribbed by the metallers for having short hair.

Around 94/95, I was getting more into alternative music like Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc but I was still listening to Slater, Megadeth, Testament etc. I wouldn't have really been into them (grunge) during the early 90s...

AS a guitarist, I was kind of falling between 2 stools regarding the riffs I was trying to come up with.

Superunkown by Soundgarden blew me away as a 16 yr old, as I then knew I didn't have to write AJFA type riffs to make good music.

So, at first when Load came out, I thought "what the hell" but I never hated it, and have grown to like it more now. I agree with previous poster. As a standalone album it ain't bad, and Bleeding Me is a stonking tune. I think the Load tracks still work live.

I also liked Metallica's Load era image too bar the eyeliner, especially James, as now there was someone who looked cool in a "Metal" band, but had short hair. I still think James Hetfield looks kind of timeless from 96, he could still pull off that look now, (as he pretty much is). Though he looked sh*tcool around the black album, and could defo pull that look off now...
    I always thought his Woodstock 94 mulllet was cool too...

I'm not a fan of Reload at all, bar maybe fuel and unforgiven2 and low man's lyric. I think Load is a better album. Feck it, Mama Said is a class song if it were by any other band......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

D.Q wrote: »
    I think Load is a great album. Some great tracks on there.

Wouldn't say "great". Personally, I would say "very good". There are about 6/7 really good songs and about 7 really poor songs(by Metallica standards).

Re-Load on the other hand, is complete and utter tripe!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Load is the better of the two in my opinion but the phrase "not as good as you hoped they would be but not as bad as you feared they might be" is apt I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I have mixed feelings towards Load and Re-Load. While they're not entirely great, they do have some stand out songs on the albums. E.G Load- Until it Sleeps, 2X4 and Ain't My B!tch, Re-Load - Memory Remains and Unforgiven 2. On the other hand, I can see where people might hate the album, and it definetely would be at the bottom of Metallica's list of albums with the likes of St Anger. But still I appreciate it for what it is. It was a time when Metallica had really matured as a band and wanted to try new things, quite like the Black Album but even more different then that. But still, they're not albums that I would speak highly of when talking about Metallica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I got into Metallica in 1991 aged 13. I very quickly devoured their back catalogue and was eager for more. To say I was looking forward to the release of Load would be an understatement. I remember picking up the CD in the summer of '96 as I'd gotten a new CD player a few months previously. The pictures of the band's new look and Kirk and Lars acting the prat had been doing the rounds in the likes of Kerrang and Headbanger's Ball so I was prepared to a certain extent for a change in sound. The problem was that I wanted an album with the speed of Kill Em All and the heaviness of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. Load wasn't that album and it was a crushing disappointment to me at the time. I'm sure it's an okay album on its own merits but I'll always hate it for what it wasn't.

It certainly taught me a very valuable lesson - never buy a CD on the name of the artist alone. Obviously it's far easier these days to figure out whether you're going to like an album before you buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It would be safe to say then that everyone agrees that DM is better than Load.
    First time I heard DM, I thought "yeah, not bad", then kind of didn't listen to it for a bit, but am into it now. I like it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Death Magnetic is actually my favourite album, I don't even notice the clipping

seachto7 wrote: »
    It would be safe to say then that everyone agrees that DM is better than Load.
    First time I heard DM, I thought "yeah, not bad", then kind of didn't listen to it for a bit, but am into it now. I like it...

I completely disagree. For me, I'd put on Load before I'd put on Death Magnetic.

The songs just have lasting value. While I enjoyed DM, I wouldnt go back to it as much as I would other albums. I never feel inclined to listen to it. If I want to listen to Metallica playing thrash metal, then I will always put on MOP/RTL or AJFA. Why would I want a lesser quality version in DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

they would have made a much more interesting album than '…And Justice For All'.
    More Interesting! It's a goddamn classic!
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Pretty much a certainty that had Cliff not died then Lars would have been fired

Pretty much a certainty that he wouldn't, seeing as Ulrich co-founded Metallica

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    More Interesting! It's a goddamn classic!

Pretty much a certainty that he wouldn't, seeing as Ulrich co-founded Metallica

haha I don't think Metallica have made a more interesting album than AJFA.

As for Lars being fired, Lars is an INCREDIBLY underrated drummer. His involvement would be seriously missed had he been fired IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Load is a pretty decent rock album in my eyes, and imho was the last Metallica album to have more good tracks than poor/boring tracks.

Reload is dull. St Anger is rubbish, and Death Magnetic is just about average, I would go as far as to say if DM was the debut album from a new band that it would not have been received as favourably by critics and music fans as DM was with the Metallica name on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I completely disagree. For me, I'd put on Load before I'd put on Death Magnetic.

I agree with this, Death Magnetic was good, but it was NOWHERE near as good as Black Album and Master of Puppets for me personally - I still watch old YouTube footage of tours around 84 to 92 and wish I could invent time travel

I also think Load, for me, has a more listen able quality - maybe that has something to do with the clipping wars, but the sound on DM puts me off listening to it on as regular a basis as I'd like

The first time I listened to DM I felt that it was a great return to form, and for me it still rates above a lot of their albums as an excellent release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Given that he was a recognised ecclectic, I dont believe Cliff Burton would have shifted, let alone spun in his grave. Cliff could well have accepted the Load era Metallica, and could well have been an integral part of it.

Metallica's evolution began after And Justice For All. Metallica fans need to accept that. Many try and tell themselves that the Black Album was part of the old order. It simply wasnt. Tracks like Enter Sandman, My Friend of Misery, Sad But True, Nothing Else Matters and Wherever I May Roam would have been completely out of place on ANY previous Metallica album.

Load is a superb album which I have come to appreciate more and more. Usually when I am on a long walk, or protracted period of exercise, I would usually ramp up Load on my IPod and sail away for a blissful 69 mins. Songs like "Ronnie" which were originally panned, happen to be firm favourites of mine. Equally, I would suggest that "Bleeding Me" and "The Outlaw Torn" are some of Metallica's best epics. "Wasting My Hate" is underplayed. As a song it should appear in Metallica's live set more often. Sadly, it has made a solitary apperence in the past 10 years of Metallica setlists"

ReLoad is more difficult to appreciate. Some of the songs are forgettable. The Lyrics of "Prince Charming" are crap in the context of a banging tune. "Better Then You" had huge potential, but at a certain point it does full flat. In my opinion "Fixxer" would be Metallica's best epic, only for the fact that the verses suffer from the same flaws as "Prince Charming".

One saying they like "St Anger" is like saying you like George W Bush i.e. there is no reason for you to like it, other then you are trying to get a rise out of people. It is tough to pick out really poor songs in Metallica's catalogue prior to St Anger. "Thorn Within" and "The House That Jack Built" could be contenders. "Escape" manages to be a very annoying song, and I simply ignore it now. "Where The Wild Things Are" can also fall into this catagory. However, songs like "Purify" and "Invisible Kid" are simply bad, and at a strech will be called music. "Frantic" is a cringeworthy song, and the only saving grace for St Anger is that Lars was denied his wish to have the album called "Frantic". On the World Magentic Tour "Frantic" was played 6 times. In 188 shows, ony 6 contained a song from St Anger. Each time, it was the same song.

In the Academic year 2008-2009 I listened to Death Magnetic every day. I like the album. But as a rule "That Was Just Your Life" will get a regular airing, and the rest will be played on a very sporadic basis on my IPod. I think Death Magnetic had other virtues, which were maybe non-musical. For example, I believe that most peoples objections to Death Magnetic came after a period of liking the album. After a while most people accepted it as decent, and a good sight better the St Anger. However, many simply felt it was not good enough to warrant a place alongside Metallica's more celebrated albums. Either way, people did like it. Second, the tour was so expansive, that most Metallica fans got a chance to see the band. Many people saw them on multiple occasions. I also believe the band is stronger then ever before, and are playing bettter live shows then they have for years.

haha I don't think Metallica have made a more interesting album than AJFA.

As for Lars being fired, Lars is an INCREDIBLY underrated drummer. His involvement would be seriously missed had he been fired IMO.

The problem with And Justice For All though is that Lars f*cked with it. He edited out Jason Newsted in the album, which was a downer. I mean why would someone want to damage their own album? As good as the album turned out to be, I would always put Master of Puppets before AJFA. Simply because production wise and song wise it was kickass.

And I agree somewhat about Lars. In the 80's you could make an argument for Lars being one of the best. But over the years his drumming skills have deteriorated. Still though, I don't know who could have replaced him if he had been fired. Unless they got some new chap who was reletively unknown, I can't really think who would replace him.

Het-Field wrote: »
    "Where The Wild Things Are" can also fall into this catagory.

I like this, maybe because it was the only thing Newsted was given credit for writing between 1992 and 2001 (amazing when you think about that), but I do like the song

Does it have anything to do with that children's book? I've never read the book so not sure what it's about, and Newsted never really gave an interview about this...but did talk about My Friend Of Misery (and subsequently the Blackened) saying on both occasions his songs were reversed and then Hetfield and Ulrich took credit for them in that respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Riddle101 wrote: »
    The problem with And Justice For All though is that Lars f*cked with it. He edited out Jason Newsted in the album, which was a downer. I mean why would someone want to damage their own album? As good as the album turned out to be, I would always put Master of Puppets before AJFA. Simply because production wise and song wise it was kickass.

And I agree somewhat about Lars. In the 80's you could make an argument for Lars being one of the best. But over the years his drumming skills have deteriorated. Still though, I don't know who could have replaced him if he had been fired. Unless they got some new chap who was reletively unknown, I can't really think who would replace him.

I downloaded and album called "...And Justice for Jason"

Basically a fan has recorded his own Bass and put it into the mix, and he's done a damn good job, listening to the album with a full bass sound is a TOTAL different experience, and much better than the original.

So i went out on the lash into town last night, got the DART in from Malahide to Grand Canal Dock.

I got on the dart and sat right at the front, wit my back to the wall, driver on the other side.

After a few mins i thought my mind was playin tricks on me, i could hear 'Orion' blaring out :confused::confused:

Sure enough the driver was listening to Master of Puppets, and quite loud too, pretty funny :D:D:D

I downloaded and album called "...And Justice for Jason"

Yeah, it's a brilliant record

This article claims that Rock Band, just earlier last year, used the master tracks from And Justice For All to create a bass friendly track inclusion on Rock Band. So my question is...erm...is this Blackened with Jason Newsted on bass?

http://bassguitarrocks.com/rock-band-liberates-jason-newsteds-blackened-bass-line

And now, for the live version

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

So i went out on the lash into town last night, got the DART in from Malahide to Grand Canal Dock.

I got on the dart and sat right at the front, wit my back to the wall, driver on the other side.

After a few mins i thought my mind was playin tricks on me, i could hear 'Orion' blaring out :confused::confused:

Sure enough the driver was listening to Master of Puppets, and quite loud too, pretty funny :D:D:D

yes, this infestation knows no bounds. the plague has truly taken hold

have barricaded myself in; treadmills facing outward. the weak have long succumbed.. seems like the entire population. but i will be strong

some have even learned to operate public trains containing entire pens contaminated with the metallivirus. what next? yet may learn to roam from the predetermined route which carries them and further contaminate

we must topple the towering granite corporate establishment of 'Metallica' which threatens to generalize and encapsulate metal as a whole as.. some kind of Nickelback

Metallergy wrote: »
    yes, this infestation knows no bounds. the plague has truly taken hold

have barricaded myself in; treadmills facing outward. the weak have long succumbed.. seems like the entire population. but i will be strong

some have even learned to operate public trains containing entire pens contaminated with the metallivirus. what next? yet may learn to roam from the predetermined route which carries them and further contaminate

we must topple the towering granite corporate establishment of 'Metallica' which threatens to generalize and encapsulate metal as a whole as.. some kind of Nickelback

Errrrr, awesome first post.......i think :confused::confused:

7dce170292_588289_o2.jpg

Just to add, found this online, I think it's quite cool and ordered myself one. If you're interested in buying the original Metallica T Shirt that Jason wore in Cunning Stunts (and was pictured wearing on the ReLoad inlay card) then you can find it here:

http://www.goodrock.com/store/p-3574-metallica-flaming-sun-shirt.aspx

The shirt comes with the original Summer 1994 US Tour dates - Metallica print a similar shirt through their official website but it doesn't have these dates on the back

Metallica%20flaming%20sun%20shirt%20MET2025.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

gay-metallica.jpg

I always liked it when Jason sung. It just seems a bit refreshing hearing someone else on vocals you know

Notice an unfamiliar voice at the start? That's Cliff!:eek:

This gig was recorded about a week or so before I was born

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

There was a story some time ago in Finnish newspaper about Metallica.

They had a gig in Northern Finland in December 1984:)

1500 people saw them playing and their fee was 20 000 finnish markka, current money it is about 4000 euro.

The town they played is called Nivala, a small 10 000 people town in Finland.

itarumaa wrote: »
    There was a story some time ago in Finnish newspaper about Metallica.

They had a gig in Northern Finland in December 1984:)

1500 people saw them playing and their fee was 20 000 finnish markka, current money it is about 4000 euro.

The town they played is called Nivala, a small 10 000 people town in Finland.

I think it's likely that, while recording their album Ride The Lightning, Metallica performed in Finland.....but, I think it's highly unlikely that even by their standards 4,000 Euro a ticket would be a little steep

I would imagine it was closer to 4Euro

• Advertisement

I think it's likely that, while recording their album Ride The Lightning, Metallica performed in Finland.....but, I think it's highly unlikely that even by their standards 4,000 Euro a ticket would be a little steep

I would imagine it was closer to 4Euro

I think he means the band's fee was 4,000euro ;)

Advertisement