Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    It's been discussed at length in the previous pages.

His contributions weren't taken on board. That's about it really

I think he has said over the years that he is generally happy with taking a backseat within his role in the band, in fairness he has contributed a lot on their best records, and wrote the riff that made them commercially successful (Sandman) but it has always been Hetfield and Ulrich driving the band. I think if Kirk didn't lose his iphone very little of his material would have been on the new album anyway, still a shame to lose it obviously just in case there was good stuff on it that could have put an extra song on the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Maybe James or Lars knicked the phone from him and hid it....!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Here Kirk put this in as a solo, Jesus James that sounds familiar, lol Kirk lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Now if only they'd have nicked his wah pedals :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Now if only they'd have nicked his wah pedals :pac:

rumor has it, he sleeps with them under his pillow. only a rumour though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Lol

Atlas is very Maiden-esque IMO. James' signature sound is all over it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Generally quite impressed with the album.

If I was to be critical I would have said they could have kept 2-3 of the songs as B-sides / bonus tracks and made a tighter / shorter album.

Spit Out the Bone is great but IMHO the final 2 minutes of "Halo on Fire" were worth waiting the last 8 years for. Epic!

Just listened to the full album, what I'm hearing is a mixture of fade to black (murder one), all sorts of puppets and black sounding stuff.............THEN Spit out the bone!!! Jesus, fcuking amazing, The album is one of those listen 3 or four times to take it all in, but fcuking hell it's savage. The halo sounded like load in parts, not a bad thing I've grown to like load nearing my 40's now.

Top stuff, solid album, most of these songs will feature in Metallica sets in the future, that's a given.

So yiz can all stop moaning about the typical Met set, theres a new album in town to mix it up :D

Just listened to the full album, what I'm hearing is a mixture of fade to black (murder one), all sorts of puppets and black sounding stuff.............THEN Spit out the bone!!! Jesus, fcuking amazing, The album is one of those listen 3 or four times to take it all in, but fcuking hell it's savage. The halo sounded like load in parts, not a bad thing I've grown to like load nearing my 40's now.

Top stuff, solid album, most of these songs will feature in Metallica sets in the future, that's a given.

So yiz can all stop moaning about the typical Met set, theres a new album in town to mix it up :D

setlist wont change much, very boring at this stage. always liked load and re-load.

• Advertisement

This fan club thingy on Friday would be an ideal spot to mix it up a bit. They'll play a good chunk of the new album I'd say but I'd love it if they dropped ES, NEM and S&D and played some of the lesser played tracks.

setlist wont change much, very boring at this stage. always liked load and re-load.

I disagree, moth, spit, hardwired, atlas will definitely rotate in New sets

I disagree, moth, spit, hardwired, atlas will definitely rotate in New sets

yes rotate is the word there, setlists wont be much different to the last decade or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

With one eye open?

Degag wrote: »
    With one eye open?

Does he grip his pillow tight???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    It's a cracker, loved it the minute I got a hold of it Saturday night,

Wasn't expecting it to be that good, better than DM, Load and Reload, St. Anger combined.

I like all their work but damn, production is very good, Hetfield's vocals are great, Kirk is great, lots of "Kirkness" on it, even if folks hate the use of the wah pedal, Rob even got more of a role in co-writing ManUNkind like the little doodle at the beginning and he even got a little doodle on Spit Out The Bone. Lars sounds great, he takes advantage of that kit of his alright, even when people say he's a shyte drummer. At the end of the day you can't get rid of Lars, he's the right drummer for them. Couldn't imagine the band without him.
    Kirks solos are awful, Lars is generally awful theres just no excuse for him and the production while better than DM is still not great. I really don't know what album you listened to :confused: the only thing that will be worse than Lars on the album, is Lars doing it live. He can't even remember nor play his own simplistic stuff.

Only had a few listens so far. Some good stuff on it. Definitely listenable although a few songs could be trimmed and a few could be binned. It's a lot better than I expected and I'm glad some of it is Load/Reload like since I always said they should've stayed doing that instead of trying to become relevant thrash again.

millington wrote: »
    Kirks solos are awful, Lars is generally awful theres just no excuse for him and the production while better than DM is still not great. I really don't know what album you listened to :confused: the only thing that will be worse than Lars on the album, is Lars doing it live. He can't even remember nor play his own simplistic stuff.

Only had a few listens so far. Some good stuff on it. Definitely listenable although a few songs could be trimmed and a few could be binned. It's a lot better than I expected and I'm glad some of it is Load/Reload like since I always said they should've stayed doing that instead of trying to become relevant thrash again.

Are you sure you wern't listening to DM? :confused::confused::confused::confused: The production is amazing and top notch, Hetfield is singing rather than screaming, he is vocally superb, Lars is playing better now than he ever did......what was the album you were listening to??????????

I thought Lars' drumming on this album is quite good too. However I do think some of the love for this album is a bit over the top. In my opinion It's good but not the masterpiece some would have you believe it is.

And the funny thing is, Kirk's use (overuse?) of the wah wah didn't really make an impression on me until somebody mentioned it here. Now it's annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Are you sure you wern't listening to DM? :confused::confused::confused::confused: The production is amazing and top notch, Hetfield is singing rather than screaming, he is vocally superb, Lars is playing better now than he ever did......what was the album you were listening to??????????

The drums are too loud, the guitar tone is still poor and it does still have a tinge of the DM sound. It is vastly improved but still.

I do agree that the vocals are surprisingly good but Lars just isn't. One dimensional and just overall below par. He was never the most technical but he was solid and some what creative on the first 4.

Yes if you compare Lars on the new album to Lars of the last 10 years it sounds good. Compare him to any other drummer in the metal spectrum that calls themselves a professional and hes just sub-standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The drums are too loud, the guitar tone is still poor and it does still have a tinge of the DM sound. It is vastly improved but still.

I do agree that the vocals are surprisingly good but Lars just isn't. One dimensional and just overall below par. He was never the most technical but he was solid and some what creative on the first 4.

Yes if you compare Lars on the new album to Lars of the last 10 years it sounds good. Compare him to any other drummer in the metal spectrum that calls themselves a professional and hes just sub-standard.

Jesus, do people ever stop comparing their work to the first 4/5. They will never top it, ever, take each album on its own merit. The new album is much better than St Anger and Death Magnetic, so for me a step in the right direction.

Lars have never been considered a top drummer, he's decent that is really about it. His drums sound the best on this album since the black album, whether that is down to the production or he has been practicing I don't know.

• Advertisement

The quality of the drumming doesn't make or break an album for me. I'd still prefer to listen to a substandard drummer on a Metallica record than a technically excellent drum virtuoso on most other metal albums.

The quality of the drumming doesn't make or break an album for me. I'd still prefer to listen to a substandard drummer on a Metallica record than a technically excellent drum virtuoso on most other metal albums.

Same as that, for me I'm genuinely surprised how good the songs are, a few of them I'll have to spin more than others, but I expected DM2 when the album was announced last year, this is not DM2. To me this is the difference between AJFA and Black.

This isn't just an album just because there is pressure for an album, this is amazing riffs, drumming, singing, writing, and I have 6 favorites already. I haven't heard Metallica write stuff like this for 25+ years, DM I don't like at all, except for 1 or 2 songs.

This album is fcuking amazing.... I get goose bumps listening to spit out the bone. That hasn't happened to me listening to a Metallica album since I first picked up MOP in 1987.

I'm going to post a more detailed review on this but the most pleasing thing for me about this album is their is parts where you think you are listening to KEA, Puppets, TBA and load. They really have borrowed a sound from each album.

The very fact the production is excellent makes this album infinitely more enjoyable to listen to than SA and DM.

Looks like we won't have to wait until Friday to hear all of the songs officially!

All videos will be released through Wednesday and Thursday.

The first one will be Dream No More at 17.00 today!

https://metallica.com/blog/news/435961/hardwired-comes-early-to-video

Release Times in GMT

17:00 GMT – “Dream No More” (Directed by Tom Kirk) - Gshow Globo, Brazil
    19:00 GMT – “Confusion” (Directed by Claire Marie Vogel) - Rolling Stone, USA
    21:00 GMT – “ManUNkind” (Directed by Jonas Åkerlund) – Bravewords, Canada
    23:00 GMT – “Now That We’re Dead” (Directed by Herring & Herring) – Pitchfork, USA

Thursday, November 17

01:00 GMT – “Here Comes Revenge” (Directed by Jessica Cope) – Triple M, Australia
    03:00 GMT – “Am I Savage” (Directed by Herring & Herring) – Ro69.JP (Rockin’ On), Japan
    05:00 GMT – “Halo On Fire” (Directed by Herring & Herring) – BiLD/Metal Hammer, Germany
    07.00 GMT – “Murder One” (Directed by Robert Valley) – Le Parisian, France
    09:00 GMT – “Spit Out The Bone” (Directed by Phil Mucci) – NME, England
    11:00 GMT – “Lords of Summer” (Directed by Brett Murray) – Aftonbladet, Sweden

Its a monster of a track, the one I have kept playing over the last 2 days. That slow heavy guitar is so reminiscent of the black album. James voice is so cool too, its like Alice Cooper. Killer riff too

You turn! To Stone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,859 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

cthulhu awakens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,251 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

rob316 wrote: »
    Its a monster of a track, the one I have kept playing over the last 2 days. That slow heavy guitar is so reminiscent of the black album. James voice is so cool too, its like Alice Cooper. Killer riff too

You turn! To Stone!

Ya it's a real heavy number, reminds me a little of Sad but True. Have enjoyed the stuff I've listened to so far, really feels MOP and AJFO-ish to me, with some others thrown in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Jesus, giving out about Lars' drumming was old 20 years ago. Get over it.

Advertisement