Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    please no more stadiums, the sound is just ****

Would love another in the round gig in the 2 Point 3 Arena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭briany

Initially, I was worried that putting out a video for every song would be try-hard, and possibly spreading things a bit too thin in terms of budget and therefore production value. Well, the production value for a lot of these videos isn't exactly top of the range, but they do use some interesting visual concepts and they tell stories and that's not necessarily something you need a whole lot of money to do anyway. And more than that, if you're the kind of person who would flick around the songs unless one grabbed you immediately, the videos offer something to focus in on until the song develops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

briany wrote: »
    Initially, I was worried that putting out a video for every song would be try-hard, and possibly spreading things a bit too thin in terms of budget and therefore production value. Well, the production value for a lot of these videos isn't exactly top of the range, but they do use some interesting visual concepts and they tell stories and that's not necessarily something you need a whole lot of money to do anyway. And more than that, if you're the kind of person who would flick around the songs unless one grabbed you immediately, the videos offer something to focus in on until the song develops.

I found the videos good but distracting, particularly spit out the bone, I prefer to listen to it than watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Sam Dunn reviewed the new album..

I can't stand this kind of heavy metal poindexter, even has the cocker spaniel hairstyle :D

He should be reviewing vintage wines or something.

Just listened to the full thing. It's a cracker. Only weak tracks(IMO) are the title track, Confusion, and Murder One.

Everything else is excellent, my favourite being Halo On Fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just listened to the full thing. It's a cracker. Only weak tracks(IMO) are the title track, Confusion, and Murder One.

Everything else is excellent, my favourite being Halo On Fire.

Even though Murder One isn't a great track i'm letting them away with it as it's a great nod to Lemmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Auld bastard who has moved from going to Wacken to having tickets for Band of Horses. Age.

That said; I'm after listening to the new album. YES! It fúcking rocks. Some classic Metallica tunes right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Was just listening to Lords Of Summer on the deluxe version of the album, some lyric changes on it and Kirk's solo is a little shorter than the demo/live version they did, musically it sounds better (except the solo being shorter) well polished up, lyrics are a bit meh...still like how it sounds though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Wailin

Anyone else think the sound is crap? Like St. Anger? Thin spineless sounding drums and guitars with too much mid tone. The metallica sound has evolved (or devolved) over the years and was at its best with the black album...pounding drums and awesome guitar tone, now it just sounds like inside a thin can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Confusion is one of my early favorites! Love the riff.

Wailin wrote: »
    Anyone else think the sound is crap? Like St. Anger? Thin spineless sounding drums and guitars with too much mid tone. The metallica sound has evolved (or devolved) over the years and was at its best with the black album...pounding drums and awesome guitar tone, now it just sounds like inside a thin can.

You must be listening to a completely different album? It sounds way better than that pile of crap!

You must be listening to a completely different album? It sounds way better than that pile of crap!

The more I read about this album and the comments on various forums, there is something very clear. Metallica have two different types of fans, the first 4 folks and the black album on wards folks. They have pleased both parties with this album.

I have friends that actually hate spit out the bone and all of the trashy stuff and love the load/reload type of songs, then there is folks that think the whole lot is shíte, which completely confuses me:confused: What were you listening to??????????

My personal favorite is spit out the bone, YEAH. (love that bit at the end)

I'm a first 4 guy so the load/reload type songs don't appeal to me as much, BUT I still like them, the album is a fcuking cracker, best music from metallica in over 25 years.

Confusion sounds like it was lifted off ReLoad

Double post - sorry

Confusion sounds like it was lifted off ReLoad

There are a couple like that. The vocal stylings of Dream No More really remind me of Where the Wild Things Are, for example. I enjoy ReLoad, anyway, and if Metallica are basically going to retread their career with their last albums then might as well get a few sounds from the Load/ReLoad era as well.

There are a couple like that. The vocal stylings of Dream No More really remind me of Where the Wild Things Are, for example. I enjoy ReLoad, anyway, and if Metallica are basically going to retread their career with their last albums then might as well get a few sounds from the Load/ReLoad era as well.

I was listening to Lars on his take of the new album and he was saying that the problem they have at the moment is that they have too much material to decide what goes where and what's going to please certain fans. There's also a shít load of stuff from years back that they are going through that was forgotten about. He also said the writing and recording of this album was very short compared to others, it didn't take months to put it together and throw it out there.

It definitely sounds like they pulled out a few older tapes and put tracks together out of them. The album pulls you in so many directions in their past it's insane, it's like a cauldron of every style of music they have created since their release of KEA, you can easily listen to a track and say, yeah that belongs in 1984 or 1986, this belongs in 1996 or this belongs in 2008, love it.

There's also a shít load of stuff from years back that they are going through that was forgotten about.

It always makes me wonder, though, if you're taking a riff that didn't make the cut years ago and are using it now, isn't that basically admitting that your standards have dropped? Nobody writes a riff and goes, "That's great!.....Let's forget about it!"

It always makes me wonder, though, if you're taking a riff that didn't make the cut years ago and are using it now, isn't that basically admitting that your standards have dropped? Nobody writes a riff and goes, "That's great!.....Let's forget about it!"

No he was saying that there is too much stuff, he said some of it they didn't like then and they do like it now. He said also he was making a track for hardwired with James and thought it was excellent, then two weeks later he said "no that's shíte put that the press somewhere", it may have been a cracker to the fans though. You never know, spit out the bone could have been one of those discarded riffs just because he didn't like it at the time.

Thought Dream No More reminded me of Thingy???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Band are live with Daniel P. Cater.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_one#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Band are live with Daniel P. Cater.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_one#

on the ould youmamatube:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finally got around to giving the album a listen today, thought it was alright. Some very good moments but overall I wasn't blown away or anything. Will give it a few more listens before judging properly though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Any songs off Hardwired... that ye could see having legs in a live scenario? And by that, I mean a song that might see regular play 5 or 10 years from now (if Metallica play on that long), not just in the album's associated tour. 8 years on from Death Magnetic and perhaps only Cyanide gets any regular play in a live setting. Odd, because I don't even think that's the strongest song on DM.

Any songs off Hardwired... that ye could see having legs in a live scenario? And by that, I mean a song that might see regular play 5 or 10 years from now (if Metallica play on that long), not just in the album's associated tour. 8 years on from Death Magnetic and perhaps only Cyanide gets any regular play in a live setting. Odd, because I don't even think that's the strongest song on DM.

The gas thing is that the strongest songs will probably not go into a new set list, just thinking back, dyres eve was never played live until 2004. It was not the best for Lars, so he hates playing it, I can see the same with spit out the bone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Finally got around to giving the album a listen today, thought it was alright. Some very good moments but overall I wasn't blown away or anything. Will give it a few more listens before judging properly though.

That's my impression, couple of nifty tracks where hetfield goes back to the vocal and riff styling's of the 80's but most of it sounds like the sloppier tracks off load/reload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

moth into flame from bbc sessions last night:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So after listening to this non stop for a week, here are my thoughts.

Pro's
    -Production is very good overall
    -James sounds great vocally
    -Best collection of riffs he has wrote since the black album
    -A piece of every era sound of Metallica is on this.

Cons
    -Its just overly long, the intro's are too long on some tracks. Most songs could do with shaving 30 to 60 seconds off each.
    -The way the album is laid out doesn't work, CD1 has the strongest tracks, then CD2 has Confusion and Spit Out The Bone, the rest is just filler and quite unforgettable.
    - The drumming, we all know Lars sucks, but he can't keep any tempo and the drums just don't add anything to the rest of the tracks.

If it was shorter and dropped a few tracks this could be a really great album, I would put it right up next to the black album, but for me I'm going to have to file with Load. A huge step up from St Anger and Death Magnetic though.

A solid 3.5/5 stars it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Wailin wrote: »

While I agree the sound is definitely poor, it's FAR from St. Anger :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Reading people's thoughts on the new album and how much better they think it is than the past few albums but production issues aside, am I in the minority's by saying I actually like Death Magnetic. It does have a couple of poor tracks (Cyanide and TDTNC) but the rest imo is brilliant.

Advertisement