Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭briany

I was a little bit surprised that Hardwired did not feature an instrumental track. I thought they were trying to re-establish that tradition with Death Magnetic. Not that I mind because having to have an instrumental would come off as forced to me. Metallica's first four instrumentals actually sound like they were meant to be that way, with the first sounding like a bass version of Eruption and the latter three sounding like self-contained compositions. S&R really just sounded like a bunch of riffs with no vocals on top, and that's probably what another instrumental would have sounded like as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Someone close to the band posted a 'Thank You' on the website this morning.
    Now that the four of us are back at home, getting settled and decompressing after one of the craziest, wildest and greatest weeks of our career, word has gotten to us over the weekend that Hardwired...To Self-Destruct is number one in a staggering 57 countries, Top 3 in 75 countries and Top 5 in 105 countries! We’re not quite sure we can even name 105 countries!

Wow... what an insane awesome ride it’s been. We are stunned, beyond grateful and truly appreciative that not only have Metallica fans embraced Hardwired…To Self-Destruct beyond our wildest expectations, but more importantly, we’re proud to see that hard rock and metal is still viable and matters in 2016…TO SO MANY PEOPLE! The support, excitement, and love from all corners of the planet means so much to us and we are sincerely blown away by the response.

The story has just begun and there is so much more to come, but we want to thank you for making this such a special time in Metallica history. We look forward to seeing you out on the road as we’re just getting started here. Please keep your posts, photos, comments, critiques and stories coming our way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Someone close to the band posted a 'Thank You' on the website this morning.

I think it was Ross Halfin, he's the bands long time photographer, tours with a lot of bands, English guy, think he's been touring with them since MOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    I think it was Ross Halfin, he's the bands long time photographer, tours with a lot of bands, English guy, think he's been touring with them since MOP.

I know Halfin does their photo shoots, but would he have access to posting on the bands website, or would that fall on whoever runs the site?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I know Halfin does their photo shoots, but would he have access to posting on the bands website, or would that fall on whoever runs the site?

No idea, maybe he has access, he's a long time part of their team really, so he'd be trusted enough, he goes to a lot of their shows and you'd see him running around the back of the stage with a camera, if he doesn't have access to the site he could just e-mail pictures and whatever statement to the people who run the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Halfin is allegedly one of the biggest tools in the business and not a very nice person, yeah he's grand if you're in a band but to normal people....

scudzilla wrote: »
    Halfin is allegedly one of the biggest tools in the business and not a very nice person, yeah he's grand if you're in a band but to normal people....

I remember one time I saw a clip of Halfin trying to round up members of The Big 4 for a picture, it might be on the Sofia DVD, think I seen it on youtube somewhere, was something to do with the Big 4, he was giving out to bystanders to get out of his way or something, he was being kind of contrary in trying to get the shot he wanted and Kirk gave him this really dirty look and said something but you can't hear what he says, it's like he was saying "Shut the f**k up!" or something to Halfin, clip might still be on Youtube, might see if I can find it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I remember one time I saw a clip of Halfin trying to round up members of The Big 4 for a picture, it might be on the Sofia DVD, think I seen it on youtube somewhere, was something to do with the Big 4, he was giving out to bystanders to get out of his way or something, he was being kind of contrary in trying to get the shot he wanted and Kirk gave him this really dirty look and said something but you can't hear what he says, it's like he was saying "Shut the f**k up!" or something to Halfin, clip might still be on Youtube, might see if I can find it!

Post it here if you find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And most his photos are crap, I never seen a halfin shot and thought "wow he nailed that!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

BAM!

At about 1:09 he tries to get Kirks attention and Kirk tells him to shut up.

• Advertisement

The face on Kirk there lol

BAM!

At about 1:09 he tries to get Kirks attention and Kirk tells him to shut up.

HAHAHA that's the one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He's a proper bell-end from all reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Haven't had a chance to listen to this as an album yet. I was going to buy the CD today, but will give it a digital spin first...
    While it's not blowing me away, it's as good as if not better than DM, and I didn't think DM was too bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

Not a bad album at alll. Best in a long while.
    Whats with all the hate for murder one! Best song on the album.

Vanhalla wrote: »

i wouldn't say it's the best (Now that we're dead or Spit) but i'm getting to really like Murder One, some people are saying the lyrics are corny but fcuk me, it's a nod to Lem, what where they meant to sing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Vanhalla wrote: »

Lol, it's good, but it needs the video, if you're listening to it without the video, you haven't a clue what it's about.

Spit out the bone is the best song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

dream no more my favourite, Its the one I keep playing over and over.

We've all had a while with the album, what's everyone's Top 5 tracks, in order

Mine are

1st Now That we're Dead
    2nd Spit out the Bone
    3rd Moth into Flame
    4th Dream no More
    5th Murder One

Halo On Fire is their best musical output since The Black Album as far as I'm concerned.
    The rest of the album is class too but this song really gets me going. I've been singing "YEOOW HALO ON FAY-ARRR, MIDNIGHT KNOWS IT WEEeEELLL...FAST, HIS DESIRE....." for days in my head.

But honourable mentions to Spit Out The Bone. Dat breakdown though -_-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We've all had a while with the album, what's everyone's Top 5 tracks, in order

Mine are

1st Now That we're Dead
    2nd Spit out the Bone
    3rd Moth into Flame
    4th Dream no More
    5th Murder One

It just isn't growing on me, and its a shame as the opening is very AJFA and the opening riff is one of the best on the album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

My top 5 would be

Dream no more
    Spit out the bone
    Murder one
    Halo on fire
    Here comes revenge

One thing I'm really loving is Hetfields vocals and lyrics.

Spit Out The Bone
    Dream No More
    Halo On Fire
    ManUNkind (Grown on me in the last few days)
    Here Comes Revenge

I have days where I really enjoy Confusion too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Really enjoying the album. There's a few duds in it but far superior to Death Magnetic. My top 5:

1 - Spit Out The Bone
    2 - Dream No More
    3 - Atlas, Rise!
    4 - Am I Savage?
    5 - Now That We're Dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

That Kirk is some legend isn't he, I watched the Halfin youtube clip and Kirk justy told him to f off, mad bastard that was a brilliant watch thanks for posting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm actually liking atlas rise and moth into flame and not "like" as in "This isn't pure ****e".

"like" as in "This is class and better than a lot of the Black album"

Bit shocked tbh but at least there's plenty of mediocre ****e on the album too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

First five tracks are good. After that, the arse falls out of the album. Halo on Fire is a horrible mess. Escape meets Metallica family at girly Fight Club.

Shame as this could be their last album. EPs from here on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

ush wrote: »
    First five tracks are good. After that, the arse falls out of the album. Halo on Fire is a horrible mess. Escape meets Metallica family at girly Fight Club.

Not even spit out the bone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

ush wrote: »

Not even spit out the bone?
    I kind of ruined it for myself by watching the videos first. I've only listened to the album once. So in my head Confusion is someone having PTSD when theres a papperjam in the photocopier, ManUnKind is something Ghost would have done to appear BLACK METAL, and Spit out the Bone is a three foot ninja in red pyjamas. Murder One with subtext telling what you already know about Lemmy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Top 5 would be,
    1. Now That We're There
    2. Dream No More
    3. Moth
    4. Halo
    5. Confusion

Savage and Murder are the two weakest tunes on the album.

Liking this album a lot. I actually enjoyed watching the videos before the album came out. Helped give each song an individual identity.

Advertisement