Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Okon wrote: »
    I am loving this new Metallica album. For me this is a return to form for the boys, as this album is so much better than St.Anger/Death Magnetic... I do agree that 'Hardwired... to self-destruct' probably won't go down as a 'classic' metal album in years to come, but it is a solid enough album for a bunch of old men rocking it up in a studio!
    So of its good because it was some aul fellas that recorded it and not because of the music quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

kbannon wrote: »
    So of its good because it was some aul fellas that recorded it and not because of the music quality?

Both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Anyone else sick to death of hammet's use of the wah pedal? Those of u out there that are guitarists know a wah pedal can hide a multitude of dud notes etc. Its just boring and lazy at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

cd07 wrote: »
    Anyone else sick to death of hammet's use of the wah pedal? Those of u out there that are guitarists know a wah pedal can hide a multitude of dud notes etc. Its just boring and lazy at this stage

Highly overrated lead guitarist,The guy has like 1-2 memorable solo's. James' solo's even have more feel to them than Hammets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

cd07 wrote: »

Yes. And it's one of those things a lot of fans aren't willing to say.

And TBH I'm more annoyed at Lars and James for letting him use it so much. It IMO (coz ya know, music is subjective) throws me out of the songs on HTSD and ruins some of the better ones with lazy wah solos.

As a guitarist, I agree with the view that Kirk is just lazy at this stage. From a strictly "Metallica the business" point of view, I'm not sure why they keep Kirk around. He doesn't contribute much (sure he has landed Sandman and a few other riffs but seriously can't sit on those laurels for over 20 years).

I'd love to see the album with a different lead writing the solos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

From watching the making of videos, I'm getting the impression that James comes up with a million ideas, then Lars suggests that riff 26 goes well with riff 127 so let's combine them into a song. Is this right and was this the way they always did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Reati wrote:

Dream on!
    From watching the making of videos, I'm getting the impression that James comes up with a million ideas, then Lars suggests that riff 26 goes well with riff 127 so let's combine them into a song. Is this right and was this the way they always did it?

Has been more or less since the conception of the band

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Dream on!

LOL - I know, I know. I'm happy enough if it's someone good on YouTube to be honest - anything to hear it without the Wah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭briany

Reati wrote: »

As a guitarist, I agree with the view that Kirk is just lazy at this stage. From a strictly "Metallica the business" point of view, I'm not sure why they keep Kirk around. He doesn't contribute much (sure he has landed Sandman and a few other riffs but seriously can't sit on those laurels for over 20 years).

Metallica (well, Lars, James and Kirk) have been up and down the road together since they launched Kill 'em All back in 1983. Without a doubt, those men are brothers as much as men unrelated can consider themselves so. All the common experiences they shared together, some possibly very emotional and that brought them even closer such as the night Cliff died (Kirk nearly had Cliff's bunk, save for a twist of fate). And then, after all that, how could Metallica ever turn around and say to Kirk "You're not pulling your weight. You're sacked".

Imagine after a successful 40 year marriage, the man says to the wife, "Well, you're old and saggy, and you don't cook as good as you used to, so I'm trading you in for a younger model!" Would it be considered callous? I think so.

But from a musical standpoint, let's say Metallica did draft in some hot-shot lead guitarist. He/she could play these amazingly fluid solos and all that, but it just wouldn't be the same. It would cause another massive fracture in Metallica's fanbase. A lot of these lead guitar players, they can play, but I don't exactly hear a lot of soul and I don't find a lot of musical interest in it, either. So, the net result would be that Metallica could fire Kirk, and give up a lasting friendship for some minor temporal gain, and then really not gain anything at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

bid8FpT.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

briany wrote: »
    Metallica (well, Lars, James and Kirk) have been up and down the road together since they launched Kill 'em All back in 1983. Without a doubt, those men are brothers as much as men unrelated can consider themselves so. All the common experiences they shared together, some possibly very emotional and that brought them even closer such as the night Cliff died (Kirk nearly had Cliff's bunk, save for a twist of fate). And then, after all that, how could Metallica ever turn around and say to Kirk "You're not pulling your weight. You're sacked".

Imagine after a successful 40 year marriage, the man says to the wife, "Well, you're old and saggy, and you don't cook as good as you used to, so I'm trading you in for a younger model!" Would it be considered callous? I think so.

But from a musical standpoint, let's say Metallica did draft in some hot-shot lead guitarist. He/she could play these amazingly fluid solos and all that, but it just wouldn't be the same. It would cause another massive fracture in Metallica's fanbase. A lot of these lead guitar players, they can play, but I don't exactly hear a lot of soul and I don't find a lot of musical interest in it, either. So, the net result would be that Metallica could fire Kirk, and give up a lasting friendship for some minor temporal gain, and then really not gain anything at all.

Bingo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

Yeah i dont get this spit out the bone thing being one of the best thrash songs from the last 25 yrs! nonsense. Metallica have a tendacy to do these great riffs but the rest of the song lets them down. Even looking back to st anger. The title track was a fantastic riff, but the song as a whole was ****.
    spit out the bone has a great riff, but that riff is only there in a couple of parts of the song. When it comes in, yeah, its awesome, but rest of song doesnt inspire me. far better songs on the album. Its a good album. Fair play to them, they are 50 odd year olds. Never going to produce what they did back in the day.

briany wrote: »

Sure... and loads of marriage break down after 30 years for that reason and are the better of it :confused:

Anyway there is lots of reasons to stay together and I don't disagree with much of your thoughts on why but just because it's always been that way doesn't mean they wouldn't be better with a different lead.

Then again, as James and Lars control the writing process tightly for the most part, if they got a new lead likely isn't going to make much difference.

http://deandelray.libsyn.com/307-i-talk-about-metallicala-auto-show

Not sure if anyone is into podcasts, but there's this lad Dean DelRey that does a great rock podcast. Anyhoo his latest he talks about htsd, and in the first few minutes talks about how Metallica are constantly written off. Makes some good points, worth a listen imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭fluke

http://deandelray.libsyn.com/307-i-talk-about-metallicala-auto-show

Not sure if anyone is into podcasts, but there's this lad Dean DelRey that does a great rock podcast. Anyhoo his latest he talks about htsd, and in the first few minutes talks about how Metallica are constantly written off. Makes some good points, worth a listen imo.

Really enjoying this podcast ep so far :-) good shout

What DelRay says about Puppets I very much agree with. It is the masterpiece of Thrash Metal, and if someone can like Thrash but can't admit that, or if even worse they state that they prefer Reign in Blood, then I think they're just taking the Metallica hate a little bit too far. :)

Of course that's only my own opinion and everyone's entitled to their own, but to me it's got the perfect balance of the aggression and the songwriting and the musicality. It's also more accessible and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Being accessible can be a result of writing something that speaks to a lot of people. Not only that but speaking to people for thirty years, unlike a wildly popular but ultimately forgettable pop song. We can debate if the band sold out to be accessible on a real mainstream level on TBA all day, but few would say the band went back on any of its ideals for Puppets.

fluke wrote: »
    Really enjoying this podcast ep so far :-) good shout

No bother! If you're liking it I'd suggest you give a few others a goo. He's done a trend recently where he gets craftsmen in to talk about stuff, but go back a bit and he has people like dave lombardo and bill burr, dave jerden, pretty much all the black crowes, most of the Mars Volta, Jerry cantrell, for like 3 hours a pop. He actually had the editor of so what in, but I think the quality was quite poor, but still interesting all the same.
    I know a few people can't stand Dean, but I love listening to his voice and his old Hollywood stories. He did a great one on Joe Rogans podcast and has some great tales on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Second the Dean DelRay podcasts. Really enjoy some of them. I wouldn't be into all the musicians he interviews, but would still listen.

A few with former Black Crowes guys worth a listen too.

The Metallica one was decent too.

No bother! If you're liking it I'd suggest you give a few others a goo. He's done a trend recently where he gets craftsmen in to talk about stuff, but go back a bit and he has people like dave lombardo and bill burr, dave jerden, pretty much all the black crowes, most of the Mars Volta, Jerry cantrell, for like 3 hours a pop. He actually had the editor of so what in, but I think the quality was quite poor, but still interesting all the same.
    I know a few people can't stand Dean, but I love listening to his voice and his old Hollywood stories. He did a great one on Joe Rogans podcast and has some great tales on it.

I instantly became hooked after the Metallica episode. He is ultra-positive but in a really cool way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Not to go off topic, well, I just did, he had Marc Ford on a few times. Like the way he gets them to talk about every day stuff, paying the bills, family etc.

Marc Maron is another, who at times, will interview rock n roll folk.

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Not to go off topic, well, I just did, he had Marc Ford on a few times. Like the way he gets them to talk about every day stuff, paying the bills, family etc.

Marc Maron is another, who at times, will interview rock n roll folk.

DelRay reminded me a bit of Marc Maron actually.

fluke wrote: »
    DelRay reminded me a bit of Marc Maron actually.

I was thinking Jim Breuer.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The band are playing Jimmy Kimmel Live on the 14th.

https://metallica.com/blog/news/436789/jimmy-kimmel-live-block-party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Finally listened to this, need a few spins. Here Comes Revenge was the standout track. Hetfield sounds great throughout, nice punchy sound. Just do away with soloing, trim off the fat. 6 -7 minute songs are redundant, unless you have something to say.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Finally listened to this, need a few spins. Here Comes Revenge was the standout track. Hetfield sounds great throughout, nice punchy sound. Just do away with soloing, trim off the fat. 6 -7 minute songs are redundant, unless you have something to say.
    Everything about Kirk is bolted on. He really has given up trying. There was an interview with James which felt like he was saying the same thing about his lack of being there for writing the album.

Everything about Kirk is bolted on. He really has given up trying. There was an interview with James which felt like he was saying the same thing about his lack of being there for writing the album.
    Any chance of a link to the interview?

In other news I listened to the deluxe version of HTSD on spotify, I love the cover of when a blind man cries

Any chance of a link to the interview?

In other news I listened to the deluxe version of HTSD on spotify, I love the cover of when a blind man cries
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-james-hetfield-says-kirk-hammett-riffs-werent-there-during-hardwired-songwriting-process/
    Read into it what you may... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Ha ha, that's James Hetfield all over, in other words, Kirk the numpty didn't back up his phone, so I punished him and used" MY RIFF COLLECTION " to make this record, he was only called for the solos, then I fcuked him out of the studio and told him to stand in the corner for an hour....Oh yeah and by the way Rob contributed more than Kirk...

Poor aul Kirk hoping that he can contribute to the next metallica album. Looks like James took off his leather belt and smacked him with it...

Yeah he's still a control freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Safe to say Kirk won't make the same mistake again.. Or at least he cops on to backing everything up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Safe to say Kirk won't make the same mistake again.. Or at least he cops on to backing everything up.

Or he goes old school and makes riff tapes/cds like they did in the old days.

Advertisement