Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Safe to say Kirk won't make the same mistake again.. Or at least he cops on to backing everything up.

I'd say James ordered a big black board, "NOW KIRK, 10,000 LINES, I WILL NEVER FCUKING NOT BACK UP MY PHONE AND BE SO CARELESS, WRITE IT NOW,YOU BOLD LITTLE BOY".

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Or he goes old school and makes riff tapes/cds like they did in the old days.

Kirk used to get credit.

I read somewhere that James was so píssed off that he lost his phone, that he had people searching the dark web for someone selling kirks phone, his main concern was another band coming out with an epic album with their riffs and being some sort of rival to metallica. Typical James, bit like the Jason stuff.

Just saw their setlist from last night, yup they aren't playing many songs from hardwired. The comments all seem to be "where the fcuk is spit out the bone? I'll tell you where it is, Lars can't play it live, dyres eve part two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Just saw their setlist from last night, yup they aren't playing many songs from hardwired. The comments all seem to be "where the fcuk is spit out the bone? I'll tell you where it is, Lars can't play it live, dyres eve part two.

They'd murder it live. Let's not pretend they wouldn't. I'd love to see it done once though to settle the bet.

Regards kirk, I think James should have slapped him more and wrote the solos. Christ most of them are terrible. And he doesn't deserve a pass. losing a few riffs sure that happens but losing years worth is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Reati wrote: »
    They'd murder it live. Let's not pretend they wouldn't. I'd love to see it done once though to settle the bet.

Regards kirk, I think James should have slapped him more and wrote the solos. Christ most of them are terrible. And he doesn't deserve a pass. losing a few riffs sure that happens but losing years worth is ridiculous.

You might see it during their US run of shows next year, there'll be a lot of pressure to do live debuts of songs. Tbh I think a lot of Kirk's material is never really used anyway, Kirk was always happy enough to take the backseat and arrives in for solos, Lars and James always have the last word if there is a riff of Kirk's that they like but it's pretty rare. James is a riff machine, they both have a bank of riffs laying around I'd imagine anyway. Lars said himself there is never any shortage of material.

Either way I bet Kirk is sickened that he's going to be touring the next 3 years or so on an album he hasn't much material one, except for improvised solos.

• Advertisement

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    You might see it during their US run of shows next year, there'll be a lot of pressure to do live debuts of songs. Tbh I think a lot of Kirk's material is never really used anyway, Kirk was always happy enough to take the backseat and arrives in for solos, Lars and James always have the last word if there is a riff of Kirk's that they like but it's pretty rare. James is a riff machine, they both have a bank of riffs laying around I'd imagine anyway. Lars said himself there is never any shortage of material.

Either way I bet Kirk is sickened that he's going to be touring the next 3 years or so on an album he hasn't much material one, except for improvised solos.

Which he rehashed from KEA. Doubt spit out the bone will be played live. After millions of requests to play dyres eve, they finally played it in 2004, only 15 years later, Lars is bólloxed after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Which he rehashed from KEA. Doubt spit out the bone will be played live. After millions of requests to play dyres eve, they finally played it in 2004, only 15 years later, Lars is bólloxed after it.

Trujillo is dying to play it anyway, during that interview where the 4 lads went to 4 cities in Germany around the time HTSD came out, Trujillo said he was itching to play that live, James had a little snigger and says "He wants to play it because of the little bass solo on it!" but Trujillo seems enthusiastic about it anyway, better rehearse the f**k out of it, especially Lars.

I think Dyers Eve will always the most demanding on Lars, and he had a much bigger kit in those days, imagine playing that regularly on a lengthy tour, playing that on a reduced kit and Lars's age and pace, now I think he just about keeps time if he's lucky and I think wouldn't do it as much justice, I'd still love to see that one played more as well and Frayed Ends of Sanity though. I'd trade Sad But True for Frayed Ends of Sanity any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In all fairness Sad But True should've been out of setlists since about 94!

Mushy wrote: »

Yeah I would agree, I was never a big fan of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mushy wrote:

The whole set list needs a revamp nowadays, tis very boring and predictable

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Especially when you have a solid new album, I didn't care about DM so when they didn't play many tracks off it, it didn't bother me. Hardwired is completely different, they should be playing most of it live, like they did with every release up to the black album..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Especially when you have a solid new album, I didn't care about DM so when they didn't play many tracks off it, it didn't bother me. Hardwired is completely different, they should be playing most of it live, like they did with every release up to the black album..

I like dm but this really is a good album. They've a ****load of songs now, they need to jazz up the set list. I'm really bored of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Lads came across this really interesting articlt from 2014 where James and Kirk talk about different Metallica songs. Really gives a good insight in Kirk, he goes into a lot of depth on a few songs.

http://www.guitarworld.com/prime-cuts-metallicas-james-hetfield-and-kirk-hammett-critique-key-songs-band-s-harsh-noble-history

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Mushy wrote:

Pretty much this. Keep 3/4 classics in permanently, have a bank of 10-15 to alternate playing 3/4 a night (effectively what is their current sets), throw in 4/5 new album songs, then have 10-15 album tracks, allowing for 4 a night. It'll allow for a cover song too, assuming the 18 song set is kept.

I think that would be realistic, it'd give mote variety and a few surprises each gig. Maybe not as radical as some would like, but I struggle to see lars learning over 40 songs for a tour.

Pretty much this. Keep 3/4 classics in permanently, have a bank of 10-15 to alternate playing 3/4 a night (effectively what is their current sets), throw in 4/5 new album songs, then have 10-15 album tracks, allowing for 4 a night. It'll allow for a cover song too, assuming the 18 song set is kept.

I think that would be realistic, it'd give mote variety and a few surprises each gig. Maybe not as radical as some would like, but I struggle to see lars learning over 40 songs for a tour.

He's learned how to play dyres eve, I think it's been played 35 times since 2004, he can fcuking learn how to play spit out the bone, you can't have a cracking track like that and not play it because its to demanding on the drummer, if that's the case, bring Dave Lombardo on tour to do the fast tracks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

https://www.instagram.com/p/BN-tpkcjutg/

Really looking forward to this

He's learned how to play dyres eve, I think it's been played 35 times since 2004, he can fcuking learn how to play spit out the bone, you can't have a cracking track like that and not play it because its to demanding on the drummer, if that's the case, bring Dave Lombardo on tour to do the fast tracks :)

I personally don't mean specifically Dyers Eve, just various album tracks such as Jump in the Fire, Eye of the Beholder, Of Wolf and Man.

Lars in general struggles, 35 times since 04 isn't really impressive, although it's more than many songs.

I personally don't mean specifically Dyers Eve, just various album tracks such as Jump in the Fire, Eye of the Beholder, Of Wolf and Man.

Lars in general struggles, 35 times since 04 isn't really impressive, although it's more than many songs.

Yeah master of puppets has been played over 1300 times.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOIB25Tj0zA/

Should be worth a listen. They probably talk about hunting a good bit, but should be good all the same

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOIB25Tj0zA/

Should be worth a listen. They probably talk about hunting a good bit, but should be good all the same

Watched it earlier today, it was all about hunting in hour 2, most of it was all stuff you've heard before. He spent about 5 minutes talking about the new album. It's not bad, if you have 3 hours to waste.

• Advertisement

Watched it earlier today, it was all about hunting in hour 2, most of it was all stuff you've heard before. He spent about 5 minutes talking about the new album. It's not bad, if you have 3 hours to waste.

Cool. I kind of dip in and out of Joe Rogen. He trends to drag the guests into his own areas of interest, so kinda expected him to spend a bit of time if the hunting with James.

I think it's good they're doing more podcasts etc with this album. More facts and nuggets from the past tend to pop out in a 2 hour chat than in a carefully edited magazine interview

Cool. I kind of dip in and out of Joe Rogen. He trends to drag the guests into his own areas of interest, so kinda expected him to spend a bit of time if the hunting with James.

I think it's good they're doing more podcasts etc with this album. More facts and nuggets from the past tend to pop out in a 2 hour chat than in a carefully edited magazine interview

Yeah he got James into the rehab bit after 2 hours. It was good, but, I didn't realize James Hetfield had moved house again, he now lives in Colorado on a ranch, he hated the San Francisco buzz now, he hates politics and hipsters. Never knew he emoved from the base, HQ is still t San Francisco bay area.

Again the setlist from last night 17th contains the same shíte, play the new album please, Jesus Christ!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I don't like them opening with Breadfan either. They should at least start and finish with one of their own songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Has anyone got links to the podcasts? Or can tell me the names?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Beekay wrote: »
    Has anyone got links to the podcasts? Or can tell me the names?

Joe Rogan Experience #887 on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Cool. I kind of dip in and out of Joe Rogen. He trends to drag the guests into his own areas of interest

****in aye he was blabbering about cardio and working out for like half an hour and James was very clearly not interesting in talking about going to the gym.

****in aye he was blabbering about cardio and working out for like half an hour and James was very clearly not interesting in talking about going to the gym.

Tbh Joe Rogan brings people on to his show and talks about himself for a few hours, leaving the celebrity a bit bemused at the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Again the setlist from last night 17th contains the same shíte, play the new album please, Jesus Christ!!!!!!

If anything the new album made me listen to the old stuff more but yeh, live they need to get the setlist refreshed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Advertisement