Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

According to here the exchange rate between Finnish Markka and Euro is
    One EUR is equivalent to 5.94573 FIM.
    so 20,000 / 5.94573 = 3363.76 so he is close enough.

Edit: And as Scudzilla pointed out, it's the band's fee, not the ticket price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

€4,000 to hire Metallica sounds like a good deal to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

It was expensive enough..... they didn't have St Anger recorded yet ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

itarumaa wrote: »
    There was a story some time ago in Finnish newspaper about Metallica.

They had a gig in Northern Finland in December 1984:)

1500 people saw them playing and their fee was 20 000 finnish markka, current money it is about 4000 euro.

The town they played is called Nivala, a small 10 000 people town in Finland.
    I was there but no way I can remember ticket price... :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

finhex wrote: »
    I was there but no way I can remember ticket price... :-D

Sorry man, my bad

This was in 1984 - I'm sure the fee is much higher, although thinking about it, I would pay 4K to see a hungry and raw Metallica from 1984 with Cliff Burton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Id say these days its 4K with at least 2 extra zeros on the end of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Sorry man, my bad

This was in 1984 - I'm sure the fee is much higher, although thinking about it, I would pay 4K to see a hungry and raw Metallica from 1984 with Cliff Burton.[/QUOTE]

LOL 4k and a time machine.

I wonder what would have happened if James had shot his vocals out in 1994?

He came quite close to doing it and I think that there's a very real chance he could have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I wonder what would have happened if James had shot his vocals out in 1994?

He came quite close to doing it and I think that there's a very real chance he could have

Wasn't there talk of John Bush being looked at again to sing for Metallica around that time. He was the first choice for the job as vocalist for Metallica when they started, with him turning them down before they recorded Kill Em All and they asked him to join again when they were writing Ride The Lightning.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Wasn't there talk of John Bush being looked at again to sing for Metallica around that time.

Yes, this comes from an interview Hetfield gave RIP Magazine, he asked Bush personally to join because he would have rather focused on his guitar skills and not lose his voice completely. Bush was the only vocalist that the band considered as a potential frontman - meaning despite how good Jason was they were never going to give him a song to sing on his own outside the live arena.

I think if Jason had stayed, and worked through the **** that went with St Anger, they might have let him sing lead vocals on a song or two from the studio (****, they might have even given him a writing credit).

Of course Bush made all that money recently from those Burger King commercials so he doesn't need to worry about the PRS cheques lol

• Advertisement

Yes, this comes from an interview Hetfield gave RIP Magazine, he asked Bush personally to join because he would have rather focused on his guitar skills and not lose his voice completely. Bush was the only vocalist that the band considered as a potential frontman - meaning despite how good Jason was they were never going to give him a song to sing on his own outside the live arena.

I think if Jason had stayed, and worked through the **** that went with St Anger, they might have let him sing lead vocals on a song or two from the studio (****, they might have even given him a writing credit).

Of course Bush made all that money recently from those Burger King commercials so he doesn't need to worry about the PRS cheques lol

Bush is a top notch singer. Would have been interesting to have seen how he would have worked out soundwise.

When he was with Anthrax they often did Maiden, Metallica, Pantera, and Thin Lizzy covers at gigs and he was able to carry off the covers with ease.

Most of the Metallica covers he did with Anthrax were from Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets, and he sounded great on those songs.

His singing on Anthrax's covers of Maiden's Remember Tomorrow and on Killers was great as well.

The Thin Lizzy tracks he sung with Anthrax were Cowboy Song, Massacre, and Bad Reputation.

Must admit when Joey Vera, another Armored Saint man that could have ended up in Metallica, brought out his A Chinese Firedrill solo album a few years back that I was hoping that Bush would be involved as those two write very well together.

Bush is a top notch singer. Would have been interesting to have seen how he would have worked out soundwise.

When he was with Anthrax they often did Maiden, Metallica, Pantera, and Thin Lizzy covers at gigs and he was able to carry off the covers with ease.

Most of the Metallica covers he did with Anthrax were from Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets, and he sounded great on those songs.

His singing on Anthrax's covers of Maiden's Remember Tomorrow and on Killers was great as well.

The Thin Lizzy tracks he sung with Anthrax were Cowboy Song, Massacre, and Bad Reputation.

Must admit when Joey Vera brought out his A Chinese Firedrill solo album a few years back that I was hoping that Bush would be involved as those two write very well together.

I have the Japanese edition of "The Sound Of White Noise" and there is a bonus cd of cover versions on it. "Cowboy Song" being one of them. I have to say, they ****ing got it spot on with that one! Great cover.

I have the Japanese edition of "The Sound Of White Noise" and there is a bonus cd of cover versions on it. "Cowboy Song" being one of them. I have to say, they ****ing got it spot on with that one! Great cover.

Yep the same version of that song is also on CD1 of the UK single release of Only.

Their studio cover of Remember Tomorrow is on the Black Lodge single.

I saw John Bush in Tower Records a few years back when he was still in Anthrax giving out to the bloke behind the counter that they didn't have the latest Anthrax CD in stock. It was hardly his fault!

I saw John Bush in Tower Records a few years back when he was still in Anthrax giving out to the bloke behind the counter that they didn't have the latest Anthrax CD in stock. It was hardly his fault!

Must have been a fair few years back if it was Bush, as his last studio album with Anthrax was in 2003, and it was also Anthrax's last proper studio album period.

He left Anthrax in 2005 and rejoined Armored Saint full time in 2006. He only came back to do a few shows with Anthrax in 2009 when Dan Nelson was shipped out, but Bush was still a member of Armored Saint at that point.

The last time he played live in Ireland with Anthrax was in 2004.

Must have been a fair few years back if it was Bush, as his last studio album with Anthrax was in 2003, and it was also Anthrax's last proper studio album period.

He left Anthrax in 2005 and rejoined Armored Saint full time in 2006. He only came back to do a few shows with Anthrax in 2009 when Dan Nelson was shipped out, but Bush was still a member of Armored Saint at that point.

The last time he played live in Ireland with Anthrax was in 2004.

yeah, that sounds about right, it was around 2002-2004 I think. They were definitely playing in Dublin that night anyway. I remember that for sure.

yeah, that sounds about right, it was around 2002-2004 I think. They were definitely playing in Dublin that night anyway. I remember that for sure.

Had to be 2004 if they were playing in Dublin.

So anyway, back to Metallica........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

:confused: This thread is nothing but Metallica.

who? ;)

• Advertisement

who? ;)

Have the Rolling Stones killed

Malice_ wrote: »
    :confused: This thread is nothing but Metallica.

Yup

I'd rather not speak about Bullet for my Valentine, just saw their video for Bittersweet Memories, and heard some of the....ahem, lyrics...in that song, I at first taught it might have been a practical joke they played on the public....alas it was not...

So, back on Metallica, can someone answer me a question - I've seen on the San Diego 92 DVD the band use a video in lieu of a support act - and I'm wondering if they did the same in Europe at the time. I'm trying to find out what bands supported Metallica on the Black Album tour....and I can't seem to find a record of any band supporting them...ever

Not until around 94 when they started touring with Suicidal Tendencies and Alice In Chains - and of course there was the package tour they did with GNR and FNM in 92...but other then that, nothing? So was there a support band in Dublin 92?

I'd rather not speak about Bullet for my Valentine, just saw their video for Bittersweet Memories, and heard some of the....ahem, lyrics...in that song, I at first taught it might have been a practical joke they played on the public....alas it was not...

So, back on Metallica, can someone answer me a question - I've seen on the San Diego 92 DVD the band use a video in lieu of a support act - and I'm wondering if they did the same in Europe at the time. I'm trying to find out what bands supported Metallica on the Black Album tour....and I can't seem to find a record of any band supporting them...ever

Not until around 94 when they started touring with Suicidal Tendencies and Alice In Chains - and of course there was the package tour they did with GNR and FNM in 92...but other then that, nothing? So was there a support band in Dublin 92?

There was none. They used the same video introduction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sbailie2002

Master of Muppets album by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sbailie2002

They had no support. I was at the gig in the point depot and they played for nearly 3 hrs. Total class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I first got into Metallica about 3 months after they were here with Danizig in 88......
    that would have been my dream gig...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

[/B]

There was none. They used the same video introduction

Yep,a video of Metallica history from '81 to '92 interspersed with random moments from the band backstage roaring "we're gonna kick your ass" and other such nonsense! Quite funny looking back on it now,having no support didn't take away from the atmosphere at all. If anything the video just hyped up the crowd even more.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Yep,a video of Metallica history from '81 to '92 interspersed with random moments from the band backstage roaring "we're gonna kick your ass" and other such nonsense! Quite funny looking back on it now,having no support didn't take away from the atmosphere at all. If anything the video just hyped up the crowd even more.

The 96 gig in the Point(with the in the round setup)topped it in my opinion. ****ing mental gig.

• Advertisement

They had no support. I was at the gig in the point depot and they played for nearly 3 hrs. Total class.

Friend of mine saw them in either Melbourne or Sydney on the same tour, and said that they played for over 4 hours. Said it was absolutely insane too. They even played some songs twice, even three times!

Advertisement