Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Lithium93_ wrote: »

I wonder how much he has made over the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

PTH2009 wrote: »
    One thing im a bit disappointed in for the upcoming Metallica European tour is the support act. The US leg got a bit of quality in Volbeat, Gorja and A7X and Europe is getting a Norwegian band which a weird name. The Kvelertak i heard is alright but would of much rathered Volbeat

Cheap skates as usual money mad they are

Cliff is still worth a fortune to his family, regardless of what James and Lars did for his parents after he died. I think James once said that Ray and Jan will never work again.

How much is Cliff Burton Worth?

From online.

Cliff Burton net worth: Cliff Burton was an American musician who had a net worth of $1 million. Cliff Burton was born in Castro Valley, California in February 1962 and passed away in September 1986. He was best known for being the bassist for the heavy metal band Metallica. Burton joined the band in 1982 and played on their first three studios albums. Their debut album Kill 'Em All was released in 1983 and was certified 3x Platinum. Metallica's second album Ride the Lightning was released in 1984 and was certified 6x Platinum. Their third album Master of Puppets was released in 1986 and was also certified 6x Platinum selling almost five million copies. Burton also received a posthumous writing credit for the song "To Live Is to Die" on Metallica's fourth album …And Justice For All. He was also posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as part of Metallica in 2009. Burton was named the 9th greatest bassist of all time by a Rolling Stone readers' poll in 2011. In 2013 Aria guitars released the Aria Pro II Cliff Barton Signature Bass. Cliff Burton passed away on September 27, 1986 at the age of 24. He was killed in a bus accident while Metallica was on tour in Sweden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Cliff is still worth a fortune to his family, regardless of what James and Lars did for his parents after he died. I think James once said that Ray and Jan will never work again.

How much is Cliff Burton Worth?

From online.

Cliff Burton net worth: Cliff Burton was an American musician who had a net worth of $1 million. Cliff Burton was born in Castro Valley, California in February 1962 and passed away in September 1986. He was best known for being the bassist for the heavy metal band Metallica. Burton joined the band in 1982 and played on their first three studios albums. Their debut album Kill 'Em All was released in 1983 and was certified 3x Platinum. Metallica's second album Ride the Lightning was released in 1984 and was certified 6x Platinum. Their third album Master of Puppets was released in 1986 and was also certified 6x Platinum selling almost five million copies. Burton also received a posthumous writing credit for the song "To Live Is to Die" on Metallica's fourth album …And Justice For All. He was also posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as part of Metallica in 2009. Burton was named the 9th greatest bassist of all time by a Rolling Stone readers' poll in 2011. In 2013 Aria guitars released the Aria Pro II Cliff Barton Signature Bass. Cliff Burton passed away on September 27, 1986 at the age of 24. He was killed in a bus accident while Metallica was on tour in Sweden.

Is that $1m when he died?

Because I would have thought the royalties from his work on his albums with the band would have generated a lot more than that through the years

Is that $1m when he died?

Because I would have thought the royalties from his work on his albums with the band would have generated a lot more than that through the years

I'd imagine that he's generated more than a million dollar's through royalty payments since his death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I'd imagine that he's generated more than a million dollar's through royalty payments since his death.

I read in an article recently that Ray still gets royalty cheques and Ray actually gives (I think) a significant amount of that money to Cliff's old high school in the form of music scholarships, read the article last week somewhere.

Edit: http://teamrock.com/news/2017-08-14/cliff-burtons-father-donates-metallica-royalties-to-fund-scholarship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The first Kvelertak is seriously good, their more recent stuff not so much. But I'd rather them than a commercial band aimed at teenagers, like A7X.

Aimed at teenagers a band whose last album was a concept album about history and space including songs about Giordano Bruno being sentenced to death...okay I'm questioning my upbringing now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Aimed at teenagers a band whose last album was a concept album about history and space including songs about Giordano Bruno being sentenced to death...okay I'm questioning my upbringing now :rolleyes:
    Holy crap, when did this happen? Consider me gobsmacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Holy crap, when did this happen? Consider me gobsmacked.

Last year, they also left major label of own accord and released album with no prior promotion or scheduled release date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

^^^^

and it was a fantastic album, especially the last song "Exist". Check it out lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Last night's show from Edmonton:

From the bits of that I watched it looks like they're on form on this tour. I thought it was pretty good (apart from the God awful group drum solo - whoever came up with that idea in a band meeting should be slapped!).

Fleming Rasmussen in a new 50 minute interview about AJFA and the bass controversy.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/metallica-producer-blames-band-sound-quality-justice-2125345

From the bits of that I watched it looks like they're on form on this tour. I thought it was pretty good (apart from the God awful group drum solo - whoever came up with that idea in a band meeting should be slapped!).

Yeah it's pretty corny alright.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Yeah it's pretty corny alright.

It's not quite at the 'we are family' level of cringeworthy but not far off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,869 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

roll on October

I reckon it will be loud in the Hydro

It's not quite at the 'we are family' level of cringeworthy but not far off.

Yeah James has become a bit...eh...civilized and domesticated...quite the family man now. Certainly a changed man from the semi drunk, sweary, shouty Hetfield of the 80's and 90s.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Yeah James has become a bit...eh...civilized and domesticated...quite the family man now. Certainly a changed man from the semi drunk, sweary, shouty Hetfield of the 80's and 90s.

He certainly has. Did you see them on Carpool Karaoke? He's gets quite into singing a song from 'The Little Mermaid'. The episode itself isn't great but some of the facial expressions James has when the host (Billy Eichner) says something weird or gets them to sing Rihanna are funny.

He certainly has. Did you see them on Carpool Karaoke? He's gets quite into singing a song from 'The Little Mermaid'. The episode itself isn't great but some of the facial expressions James has when the host (Billy Eichner) says something weird or gets them to sing Rihanna are funny.

I seen a little bit of it, didn't the dude in the car ask them did they ever send a dick pic? Like wtf? They are middle aged rockstars that have been famous most of their lives and have been married for a good portion of their lives also, think they are a bit passed the point of dick pics like! The look on Roberts face says it all after yer man said it lol. Rob is like, "Wtf are we doing with this guy?"

I didn't see the little mermaid bit now, sure Hetfield has two daughters, he probably had to sit through the movie a million times like every other parent and it stuck in his head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Watching the Edmonton show now. Enjoying it. The new songs sound good live and fit well. Have no particular inclination to hear anything off death magnetic ever again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭briany

D.Q wrote: »
    Have no particular inclination to hear anything off death magnetic ever again

That's what people said about St. Anger, too. Probably going to be the fate of each Metallica album from the post-Newsted era.

This time 9 years ago we were all heading to Marley Park too see Tenacious D and Metallica play

https://www.metallica.com/tour/10633

1st time seeing Metallica and remember lost my friend in the crowd and found him about 2 hours after the show, our phones went dead and the fear of myself and my dad trying to find him lol. I enjoyed 2009 more tbh

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This time 9 years ago we were all heading to Marley Park too see Tenacious D and Metallica play

https://www.metallica.com/tour/10633

1st time seeing Metallica and remember lost my friend in the crowd and found him about 2 hours after the show, our phones went dead and the fear of myself and my dad trying to find him lol. I enjoyed 2009 more tbh

My lasting memory of that day was taking forever to get in because, according to MCD anyway, there were only a small number of ticket scanner machines available. I joined the queue just as Sweet Savage were starting and I wasn't in before they finished.

My lasting memory of that day was taking forever to get in because, according to MCD anyway, there were only a small number of ticket scanner machines available. I joined the queue just as Sweet Savage were starting and I wasn't in before they finished.

didnt miss much they are ****e, only good part was when James joined them for Killing Time, saw that from the food stalls

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

briany wrote: »
    D.Q wrote: »
    Have no particular inclination to hear anything off death magnetic ever again

That's what people said about St. Anger, too. Probably going to be the fate of each Metallica album from the post-Newsted era.

Except maybe this one. I think Hardwired is very good and way more innovative than most of the stuff after 2001. I know it's been talked to death but fcuk I miss Newsted. He had incredible intensity. Love Trujillo too mind you but there was something about Newsted.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Except maybe this one. I think Hardwired is very good and way more innovative than most of the stuff after 2001.
    Most of what stuff after 2001?

Except maybe this one. I think Hardwired is very good and way more innovative than most of the stuff after 2001.
    Most of what stuff after 2001?

Most of Michael Jackson's stuff.

Most of Michael Jackson's stuff.
    That makes sense then. Since the notion that Hardwired is even remotely innovative is laughable.

Ask a really, really stupid question, get a really stupid answer. It's all subjective super fan, that's what's great about music.

• Advertisement

Ask a really, really stupid question, get a really stupid answer. It's all subjective super fan, that's what's great about music.
    A college lecturer once told me "there's no such thing as stupid questions, only stupid answers".

Hardwired is about as innovative as unzipping your trousers, taking your dick out, and pissing in a toilet.

Advertisement