Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Not having a track called the Unforgiven 4 is probably the most innovative it got :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Not having a track called the Unforgiven 4 is probably the most innovative it got :D
    True. Not having a track called Unforgiven 4 is the pinnacle of Metallica's creativity post ...And Justice for All. I would even dare to say that this makes Hardwired more innovative than everything Michael Jackson released after 2001.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭briany

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Except maybe this one. I think Hardwired is very good and way more innovative than most of the stuff after 2001. I know it's been talked to death but fcuk I miss Newsted. He had incredible intensity. Love Trujillo too mind you but there was something about Newsted.

There was little innovation on Hardwired as far as I can tell. Innovation to me means a band doing something they've not done before, and there was little of that which I heard. It sounded much like DM in a band trying to encapsulate the aggression and musical stylings of an earlier period.

That would be fine, just disappointing when you consider that, once, an 8 year gap meant the difference between AJFA and ReLoad, and now means only a small leap forward, or perhaps even a leap sideways.

The most innovative things they've done in the 2000s and 10s are I Disappear and Lulu, the latter of which was well-received by almost no-one, but I'd consider innovative simply by the bizarre marriage of half-baked Metallica riffs and Lou Reed's fragile, aged sprachgesang.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

briany wrote: »
    Except maybe this one. I think Hardwired is very good and way more innovative than most of the stuff after 2001. I know it's been talked to death but fcuk I miss Newsted. He had incredible intensity. Love Trujillo too mind you but there was something about Newsted.

There was little innovation on Hardwired as far as I can tell. Innovation to me means a band doing something they've not done before, and there was little of that which I heard. It sounded much like DM in a band trying to encapsulate the aggression and musical stylings of an earlier period.

That would be fine, just disappointing when you consider that, once, an 8 year gap meant the difference between AJFA and ReLoad, and now means only a small leap forward, or perhaps even a leap sideways.

The most innovative things they've done in the 2000s and 10s are I Disappear and Lulu, the latter of which was well-received by almost no-one, but I'd consider innovative simply by the bizarre marriage of half-baked Metallica riffs and Lou Reed's fragile, aged sprachgesang.

I just think this album has a much wider appeal. I know people who would describe the 2000s stuff as just nondescript noise. I also know people who aren't metal fans that hum away to Atlas, Moth, Hardwired etc. That's innovation to me because it's sort of appealing to a wider audience. Anyway, opinions are exactly that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

True. Not having a track called Unforgiven 4 is the pinnacle of Metallica's creativity post ...And Justice for All. I would even dare to say that this makes Hardwired more innovative than everything Michael Jackson released after 2001.

Surely it'd be something smart like Un4given

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Surely it'd be something smart like Un4given

Un4gIVen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I just think this album has a much wider appeal. I know people who would describe the 2000s stuff as just nondescript noise. I also know people who aren't metal fans that hum away to Atlas, Moth, Hardwired etc. That's innovation to me because it's sort of appealing to a wider audience. Anyway, opinions are exactly that.

Innovation isn't about the band, having a wider appeal. It's about inciting change. To some degree a lot of what hard rock bands did in the '00s was lead by Load/Reload. That can be described as innovation. But Hardwired. I dunno, I enjoyed it, but it's an album that can appeal to more people. I'd describe it as appealovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Ohh super Metallica thread.........hello

Innovation isn't about the band, having a wider appeal. It's about inciting change. To some degree a lot of what hard rock bands did in the '00s was lead by Load/Reload. That can be described as innovation. But Hardwired. I dunno, I enjoyed it, but it's an album that can appeal to more people. I'd describe it as appealovation.
    To me innovation is more than inciting change, it has to bring new ideas to the table. A good example to use is the album Streetcleaner by Godflesh. Nothing sounded like it before it was released in 1989, and then loads of bands that followed in the 90's, including Korn and Fear Factory, were clearly influenced by it. Even hip-hop projects like Dalek later in the 00's.

One of the reasons why I singled-out Jayesdiem's post was because 'innovation' is not a word I'd throw about lightly. To me Hardwired has more an air of stagnancy about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

On record, what's the difference between Trujillo and Newsted? Not much I'd say? It's not like they had much influence on what made the albums...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I also know people who aren't metal fans that hum away to Atlas, Moth, Hardwired etc. That's innovation to me because it's sort of appealing to a wider audience. Anyway, opinions are exactly that.

That's just Metallica having the bait of a mainstream audience in the first place, if Havok for example released it the the spins would not be there to hit the ears of those non metal fans for their potential hums.

seachto7 wrote: »

On record, what's the difference between Trujillo and Newsted? Not much I'd say? It's not like they had much influence on what made the albums...
    Don't really know - people have they're intangible favourites. Newsted seemed to get much more involved vocally and for me just has a really strong presence. Again, not that Trujillo doesn't. It's just different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jason was always a fan favourite. He had big shoes to fill and he exceeded all expectations. Probably to the detriment of his relationship with James. Rob was a very different style to cliff and Jason, more orthodox funk metal bassist who made it as a studio session musician. He would have more of an ear to offer assistance in the studio with music in general rather than just bass and would probably be offered more respect from james than james would have offered Jason. However not to take from Jasons talent at all coz we all know james was a total cnt to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ha let's not forget robs contributing more than iPod hammet these days

I like Hammett but he comes across slightly vacuous. Anyone agree?

James is not vacuous at all but someone mentioned the physical and personality changes in him a few pages back and it's really scary. Hetfield now and Hetfield in the early 90s seem like two utterly different people. To me it's as if it's not even the same guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Kirk has been spent since the black album in my opinion. Still my favourite metal guitar player from the strength of the first five albums though. Such memorable solos.

James has lost a lot of stage presence since the early days, but it was all so raw then. It's to be expected I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Hopefully we'll see a performance of Spit Out The Bone next week in Denmark, being Lars's home turf I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a performance of it being it's been sort of a second home for them in the early days.

Hopefully the camera guys shoot it well if it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

The MOP remaster to be released November 10th. Roll on AJFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The MOP remaster to be released November 10th. Roll on AJFA.

Just scanning through the track list, demo version of a song called 'The Money Will Roll Right In' is a song I'd be interested in hearing. Never heard it or even heard of it until today. Wikipedia tells me it's by a band called Fang.

Just scanning through the track list, demo version of a song called 'The Money Will Roll Right In' is a song I'd be interested in hearing. Never heard it or even heard of it until today. Wikipedia tells me it's by a band called Fang.
    Nirvana covered it at Reading 1992:

The original:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Hopefully we'll see a performance of Spit Out The Bone next week in Denmark, being Lars's home turf I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a performance of it being it's been sort of a second home for them in the early days.

Hopefully the camera guys shoot it well if it happens.
    Yeah, possibly. They seemed to concentrate on "disk 1" of the album on the American part of the tour, so might go to "disk 2" for the European part.

Would like to hear that side live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Cant seem to link, but James took a nice tumble on stage last night, falling into one of the stage pits. Played on but id say he was sore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

^^^^^^
    Looked nasty alright but the legend kept playing on..

I'd say that tech got a good talking to afterwards, say it winded him more than anything, looked like the type of fall that would wind ya.

Yer man was a bit over dramatic ("tough year for music already" and the title 'James suffers serious fall'. He winded himself and continued playing ffs. It's not like he was nearly killed or anything.

I was expecting it to be worse when I found out on here, say it shook him and was a bit embarrassing, like a fall like that could ruin a tour like when Dave Grohl tripped in Stockholm two years ago so I'd say he had to check himself to see was he alright, like one second he had ground behind him, in the split second he turned around that little door opens and he's gone down into it!

Edit: Better link of the fall, looked a bit sore all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,869 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Going to enter the fifth member m&g contest for the Glasgow show but imagine it's hard too win it

Be cool too meet the band and really male the trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Yer man was a bit over dramatic ("tough year for music already" and the title 'James suffers serious fall'. He winded himself and continued playing ffs. It's not like he was nearly killed or anything.

Well. sometimes, it's simple falls like this that can lead to fractures or concusions... He could easily have landed on his arm or wrist and broken bones...

Well. sometimes, it's simple falls like this that can lead to fractures or concusions... He could easily have landed on his arm or wrist and broken bones...

But he didn't. So it was a simple fall that fair enough it could have been worse but it wasn't.

And even if he did break a wrist, it would hardly be in the same category as Chris Cornell or Chester Bennington which is what I presume he was getting at with this initial comment.

• Advertisement

There's a few lads here who need to get the ol' irony-ometers serviced.

Advertisement