Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

They haven't played spit out the teeth yet. I am waiting for this anxiously.

You'll be a long time waiting, don't think they've ever even recorded that one ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

just listened to blackened from "justice for jason" there, it's vicious attacking bass playing but its rushed and occasionally inaccurate. James and lars worked hard on building that album and then handed it to jason to record in a day.
    The only way bass was going to be heard on that album (like billy corgan and kevin shields) would be if james played it himself.

I'd say they would have preferred a less harsh/overdriven performance from jason to blend in behind james and lars. He recorded his parts on his own too so hardly his fault.

I reckon they over-produced the drums and guitars and failed to produce jason to the same standard and just cut him out because it took from the guitar sound they wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd say they would have preferred a less harsh/overdriven performance from jason to blend in behind james and lars. He recorded his parts on his own too so hardly his fault.

They treated that man like ****, he was right to leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    They treated that man like ****, he was right to leave

they sure did, james in particular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

they sure did, james in particular

I think him leaving done everybody a world of good though, it set off a chain reaction of events and decisions that probably saved lives and possibly the band. It seems like everyones happier nowadays, and they 've maintained some sort of friendship and respect for each other

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Was listening to Brian Slagel on Dean Del Ray's podcast and Dean was on about the Metallica vinyls released by Warner, saying they were crap quality, pretty much the digital versions put on vinyl.
    I bought a bunch of albums off the website a few years ago, and they're "in storage" as they say.
    I fear these are part of that bunch... :(
    Surely the new remasters are the ones to have....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,869 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wonder will Metallica headline the euro festivals next summer ???

There touring Europe in 3 different instalments in 2018 (8 dates in Feb and 8 dates from 27th Mar-11th Apr and then 8 dates 26th Apr-11 May). They might come back in June and do a few euro festivals (Download, Rock Am Ring etc)

It's a pain having to travel abroad to see them cause either our Arena layout sucks or they won't make enough $$$ here. From clips/pics I've seen of the recent euro leg I can see why it would not work in the 3arena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wonder will Metallica headline the euro festivals next summer ???

There touring Europe in 3 different instalments in 2018 (8 dates in Feb and 8 dates from 27th Mar-11th Apr and then 8 dates 26th Apr-11 May). They might come back in June and do a few euro festivals (Download, Rock Am Ring etc)

It's a pain having to travel abroad to see them cause either our Arena layout sucks or they won't make enough $$$ here. From clips/pics I've seen of the recent euro leg I can see why it would not work in the 3arena

Would work in the 3arena thing looks smaller than Muses with a few cubes in the air a needless exercise for them, from the recordings I've seen on this tour the festival shows with the traditional back end stage were better than the in the round format ones, saying that I recently just purchased one for London the other day as I happen to be there when they play, prices are ludicrous no wonder they are still on sale.

I'd say they'll certainly be back fest money alright, rumored for Hellfest already as font is similar to Hardwired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I saw 2 teens wearing Metallica hoodies last week. They were the h&m brand I think. Metallica are more popular than ever. I doubt that these teens knew any Metallica songs. But Metallica are fashionable these days. They have mastered the internet. Lars was in the Napster war.....now Metallica give everything away for FREE.......ypu wouldn't have to buy their music if you didn't want to. It's all fúcking free.

It's called free press.. They are masters of it. I reckon they could easily pull 50k with the big stage in punchestown.

I saw 2 teens wearing Metallica hoodies last week. They were the h&m brand I think. Metallica are more popular than ever. I doubt that these teens knew any Metallica songs. But Metallica are fashionable these days. They have mastered the internet. Lars was in the Napster war.....now Metallica give everything away for FREE.......ypu wouldn't have to buy their music if you didn't want to. It's all fúcking free.

Metallica are a hugely mainstream act, It's more likely they knew heaps of their songs than heard of Napster that was nearly 20 years ago now those kids mightn't even been born :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I reckon they could easily pull 50k with the big stage in punchestown.

They've never managed to pull 50k here before when arguably they were more popular so unless it's a festival with a very strong bill, they'd be doing very well to get anywhere near 50k.

They've never managed to pull 50k here before when arguably they were more popular so unless it's a festival with a very strong bill, they'd be doing very well to get anywhere near 50k.

I disagree their online presence is insane, my mother is nearly 70 and said "I see Metallica are back" this is the woman that brought me by hand to buy master of puppets when I was seven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

just listened to blackened from "justice for jason" there, it's vicious attacking bass playing but its rushed and occasionally inaccurate. James and lars worked hard on building that album and then handed it to jason to record in a day.
    The only way bass was going to be heard on that album (like billy corgan and kevin shields) would be if james played it himself.

I reckon they over-produced the drums and guitars and failed to produce jason to the same standard and just cut him out because it took from the guitar sound they wanted.

Is it possible that they never were going to entertain Jason on the album anyway so his performance was irrelevant and therefore a one shot deal to appease him?

It is a terrible shame they never embraced at least his ability as i think and justice could have been so much better. I remember getting the 12" of harvester and being shocked at the sound.

Almost 30k in the RDS was the biggest they pulled afaik they were literally here every 2 years round then though, I'd say they'd actually manage to spring close to the 50k as it seems to be the norm of legacy acts gaining the punter who does 1 gig a year and Metallica are certainly that they likely would need reasonably named support to achieve it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I'd have to agree but like you said if they could get some good support acts i wouldn't be surprised. AX7 for example were supporting them in the States, i know they are not everyones cup of tea but they are big now.

Would lone to see a big stage show in the Aviva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I disagree their online presence is insane, my mother is nearly 70 and said "I see Metallica are back" this is the woman that brought me by hand to buy master of puppets when I was seven.

Would she go to the gig though...?????

Would she go to the gig though...?????

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

My mate is a PE teacher and stuck some Metallica on during a gym class. 15 yr olds were mouthing the words to Sandman.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    My mate is a PE teacher and stuck some Metallica on during a gym class. 15 yr olds were mouthing the words to Sandman.

Cool guy

Speaking of this fashion stuff the amount of teens/kids going around with Guns N Roses/ACDC/Metallica tees is insane and many of them could not name one song from the band or even know there a band ???. Designs are cool but the management of these bands are selling out a bit and it's all about the $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

These kids knew songs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Confusion got it's live debut at the Cologne show on the 16th..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Cool guy

Speaking of this fashion stuff the amount of teens/kids going around with Guns N Roses/ACDC/Metallica tees is insane and many of them could not name one song from the band or even know there a band ???. Designs are cool but the management of these bands are selling out a bit and it's all about the $$$

That has always happened....

Or was Che Guevara Irish ???

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

greenspurs wrote: »
    That has always happened....

Or was Che Guevara Irish ???

Well Che wasn't, but the dude who made the iconic image of him was... http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/jim-fitzpatrick-and-che-guevara-inspired-by-irish-rebels-288646.html

Interesting rig rundown video on their current tour. Suppose looking at it now it makes sense, and I think I'd heard before that they were using AxeFX units, but still interesting to see how much more technology goes into a production of Metallica's size it than the old SM57 in front of a cranked tube amp...

Also they should have spent a good half hour talking about Peter Green's Les Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

My point was , about the poster saying that the kids were wearing band tshirts, but probably didnt know any songs. and i meant that has always happened, Did all those people wearing the Che tshirts know about him, his ideals, who he was even.

Its like all these women/girls that wear lycra pants and hoodies to everything now... They havent all been to the gym, or keep fit ! :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    My point was , about the poster saying that the kids were wearing band tshirts, but probably didnt know any songs. and i meant that has always happened, Did all those people wearing the Che tshirts know about him, his ideals, who he was even.

Its like all these women/girls that wear lycra pants and hoodies to everything now... They havent all been to the gym, or keep fit ! :D

Oh I'd definitely agree. It's like that whole shimozzle with one of the Karda$hians releasing t-shirts with Metallica and Biggie on them. They're in no way fans of the artists, but want to be associated with the iconography as it's cool and edgy. A nice handy way to make a statement without actually having said anything.

Lol don't be shouting down yoga pants as daily wear though! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Got my London tickets this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Going to take a mini holiday at the same time. Booked tickets to see Metallica in Switzerland :eek: Should be an experience!

🤪

Exactly a month to Glasgow ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

31yrs ago Cliff left us :mad::mad:

Advertisement