Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Was surprised not to see my name printed on London ticket,thought it'd be like for European dates with having to show I'd.still waiting on two seated tickets from pre sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

RIP Cliff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I read a story the other day about Metallica considering giving Lars the sack back in the early 90's. Kirk confirmed the story, but laughed it off.

Imagine the band without Lars. Seems unthinkable really. I know he's not the best drummer and all (I find him fine), but his input in the songwriting process is immense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I read a story the other day about Metallica considering giving Lars the sack back in the early 90's. Kirk confirmed the story, but laughed it off.

Imagine the band without Lars. Seems unthinkable really. I know he's not the best drummer and all (I find him fine), but his input in the songwriting process is immense.

Big time, they'd be a different animal altogether. As far as I understand, James collects his hundreds of riffs, and it's on Lars to collate them into some semblance of a song. Metallica without Lars would not be the same.

It follows on that they're a band that are stronger than the sum of their parts. Kirk's a sloppy guitarist, James' voice was pretty bad for many of the early albums, Lars drumming is what it is (I'm not a drummer but I can tell it's not out of this world).

But it's also worth noting that I don't think I've ever seem them claim to be the absolute best at what they do, like you don't get Kirk claiming he's better than Satriani or Buckethead, Lars saying he's better than Dave Lombardo, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,870 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Big time, they'd be a different animal altogether. As far as I understand, James collects his hundreds of riffs, and it's on Lars to collate them into some semblance of a song. Metallica without Lars would not be the same.

It follows on that they're a band that are stronger than the sum of their parts. Kirk's a sloppy guitarist, James' voice was pretty bad for many of the early albums, Lars drumming is what it is (I'm not a drummer but I can tell it's not out of this world).

But it's also worth noting that I don't think I've ever seem them claim to be the absolute best at what they do, like you don't get Kirk claiming he's better than Satriani or Buckethead, Lars saying he's better than Dave Lombardo, etc.

No matter how sloppy they are they have sold millions of albums and have wrote some belters. There live shows are out of this world and there a huge influence in the world of music and a very recognised band (non rock fans would of heard of Metallica)

I wonder if Cliff had not died where they would be now ???. Sober James better than drunk James???, don't Kirk and Lars still have drug issues ??

Wasant it download 2004 where they have to play without Lars ?? And the show was a bit meh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

PTH2009 wrote: »

Wasant it download 2004 where they have to play without Lars ?? And the show was a bit meh

That was a last minute cancellation with little or no time for rehearsals so I don’t think that’s a fair assessment on Metallica without Lars. I haven’t heard any of that gig so don’t know was it any good though.

That was a last minute cancellation with little or no time for rehearsals so I don’t think that’s a fair assessment on Metallica without Lars. I haven’t heard any of that gig so don’t know was it any good though.

tech was different back then lol but found a copy of a few songs from that set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

tech was different back then lol but found a copy of a few songs from that set

Have the full MP3 of that show and it's class, Lombardo was/is a beast, don't think i've heard Battery played that hard for years.

Was also at the show with a few mates, was stood waiting for Metallica and my mates Paul and Danny from Breed 77 joined us (pretty surreal with them, seeing as they'd opened the main stage that day), Paul had told me that the whispers from the inner sanctum is that Lars wasn't there and they were planning something.

Some clowns after the show were trying to get refunds due to no Lars, personally it's one of my most memorable Metallica gigs.

Story came out later that Lars was flying from (??) to Germany before the gig and had a complete panic attack in the air, 'apparently' it stemmed from some columbian marching powder

PM's welcome with gmail address if you want the gig on mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Confusion got it's live debut at the Cologne show on the 16th..
    They have played it few times before, I was at Copenhagen last February and they played that there.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭montec

gerrybbadd wrote: »

It was actually around 1986 when they considered replacing Lars, Scott Ian was apparently there when the discussion took place. Lombardo was out of Slayer at the time and people were putting two and two together, but I don't think Lombardo was ever approached.
    Then Cliff died and everything changed. Ulrich positioned himself at the business end of things, even more so, and rest is history as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Doing one of those pop up shops bout 5 mins from Old street tube station on their London dates, running from the 18th-23rd (even though the show I'm going is the 24th they playing so not sure if that's a mistake).

Those shops worth going to or is it just to flog sh1te :D

Doing one of those pop up shops bout 5 mins from Old street tube station on their London dates, running from the 18th-23rd (even though the show I'm going is the 24th they playing so not sure if that's a mistake).

Those shops worth going to or is it just to flog sh1te :D

Probably a few decent things but i'd say a majority would be shite they can't get rid of elsewhere

They put this up today, Battery from 1986 in Japan.

They put this up today, Battery from 1986 in Japan.

Probably one of Jason's first gigs with the band

scudzilla wrote: »
    Probably one of Jason's first gigs with the band

According to the gig listings on Metallica's site, this would have been gig number 4 for Jason.

According to the gig listings on Metallica's site, this would have been gig number 4 for Jason.

Close enough, i knew Jason's first shows was a mini tour of Japan, crazy when you think about it, not even 6wks after Cliff's death and they were back on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭glucifer

21 years ago today I attended my 1st Metallica gig in the Point Depot. October 9th 1996, anyone else there? I'll be seeing them for the 13th time in London Sunday week.
    https://youtu.be/b2Nr_jkOLhI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

glucifer wrote: »
    21 years ago today I attended my 1st Metallica gig in the Point Depot. October 9th 1996, anyone else there? I'll be seeing them for the 13th time in London Sunday week.

WOW ! never saw that before !
    One of my mates got James's pick, but it 'disappeared' when it was handed around the bus on the way home while lads were looking at it !!! :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

Seen them in Manchester and Sheffield on that tour, first seen them at Donington in 85, wasn't into them that much at the time.

Used to love it when they really mixed setlists around, when i see them at the G-MEX in Manchester in '92 it was the first time they ever opened with Wherever i may Roam

scudzilla wrote: »
    Seen them in Manchester and Sheffield on that tour, first seen them at Donington in 85, wasn't into them that much at the time.

Used to love it when they really mixed setlists around, when i see them at the G-MEX in Manchester in '92 it was the first time they ever opened with Wherever i may Roam

Setlist for Dublin in 96 was pretty great looking back

SO WHAT
    CREEPING DEATH
    SAD BUT TRUE
    AIN'T MY BITCH
    WHIPLASH
    BLEEDING ME
    KING NOTHING
    ONE
    WASTING MY HATE
    BASS/GUITAR DOODLE
    NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
    UNTIL IT SLEEPS
    FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS
    WHEREVER I MAY ROAM
    FADE TO BLACK
    KILL/RIDE MEDLEYIncludes excerpts of "Ride the Lightning", "No Remorse", "Hit the Lights", "The Four Horsemen", "Seek and Destroy" and "Fight Fire With Fire"
    ENCORE
    LAST CARESS
    MASTER OF PUPPETSShort Version
    ENTER SANDMAN
    ENCORE #2AM I EVIL?
    BREADFAN
    MOTORBREATH

It's a shame Load songs get overlooked these days

amazing that an 'in the round' setup would fit in an old kip like the point and 20 years later the 3arena struggles too fit that kind of setup and many irish fans have too travel abroad too see shows

cant wait for Glasgow on the 26th and have entered the 5th member meet and greet comp for it :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

amazing that an 'in the round' setup would fit in an old kip like the point and 20 years later the 3arena struggles too fit that kind of setup and many irish fans have too travel abroad too see shows

cant wait for Glasgow on the 26th and have entered the 5th member meet and greet comp for it :D:D

It would fit its just the balcony seats wouldn't see any of it

It would fit its just the balcony seats wouldn't see any of it

You sure?

https://youtu.be/moCcF6ZaAkY

So what do you reckon, it's just a capacity issue? I mean the smallest venue on the UK run is the Hydro in Glasgow which is 13K....

I do remember reading on the 'Poor Touring Me' tour that ticket sales were lower than traditional tours because, in the likes of the Point for example, the stage took up nearly the entire floor.

I for one would love to see Metallica in the Point one more time but didn't mind travelling to the Odessy in 2010 either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Going to London myself Sunday week. Can't wait. Haven't seen them since download 2012

So what do you reckon, it's just a capacity issue? I mean the smallest venue on the UK run is the Hydro in Glasgow which is 13K....

I do remember reading on the 'Poor Touring Me' tour that ticket sales were lower than traditional tours because, in the likes of the Point for example, the stage took up nearly the entire floor.

Not sure, wouldn't have mattered as much then for ticket sales, albums were being flogged.
    D.Q wrote: »
    Going to London myself Sunday week. Can't wait. Haven't seen them since download 2012

That was the last time I saw them too, picked up tickets for the 2nd London date meself wouldn't have travelled specifically being honest but in London then so why not. :cool:

Ya, last I saw em was Download in 2012 too. Nothing beats indoors in the round though

• Advertisement

Ticketmaster are now saying that I've to collect my tickets at the venue... balls

Advertisement