Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I actually think I read that somewhere tbh.

That would be the infamous Playboy US Interview of 2001 (it was recorded literally a few weeks before Jason left, over Christmas 2000 and then published in April 2001 after he had departed) - infamous because they interviewed all four band members separately and then combined their answers (not in an attempt to fool anyone, but rather to get more truthful responses)

I want to warn you, if you do read this, it's some tough **** to take....
    "I wasn't surprised that Jason Newsted quit Metallica. Just two months earlier, I'd spent a day with each of the four, and I've never seen a band so quarrelsome and fractious. Most of the barbs were cloaked in humor—Newsted mocked Hetfield's singing, Hetfield mocked Ulrich's drumming, and Ulrich, whom I interviewed last, responded to several of Hetfield's quotes with scorn.
    PLAYBOY: Had you seen Metallica while Cliff was alive?
    NEWSTED: Yes. In Phoenix, with Wasp, before Master of Puppets came out. Front row. Right in front of Cliff Burton, worshiping. Drooling. Banging madly. Fourteen bucks for a shirt, which was all the money in the world at that time. We only went to see Metallica. As soon as Metallica was done, we walked out. They just crushed it, and we knew everything they did by heart.

PLAYBOY: Pretty cheap that they didn't pay your airfare. Were they tough on the people who were auditioning?
    NEWSTED: One guy comes in, he's got his bass signed by the guy from Quiet Riot or something. And James just goes, "Next!" Like that, before the guy even got to plug in. Guys were, like, crushed.

PLAYBOY: Tell me about the first year with them.
    NEWSTED: Hazing. And a lot of emotional tests.
    HETFIELD: We were mourning through anger. "You're here instead of Cliff, so here's what you get." It was therapy for us.
    NEWSTED: One time, it's four in the morning, they're hammered and knocking on my hotel door when we were in New York. "Get up, ****er! It's time to drink! Pussy!" You know? "You're in Metallica now! You better open that ****ing door!" They kept pounding. Kaboom! The door frame shreds, and the door comes flying in. And they go, "You should have answered the door, bitch!" They grab the mattress and flip it over with me on it. They put the chairs, the desk, the TV stand—everything in the room—on top of the mattress. They threw my clothes, my cassette tapes, my shoes out the window. Shaving cream all over the mirrors, toothpaste everywhere. Just devastation. They go running out the door, "Welcome to the band, dude!"

PLAYBOY: Did you know they were telling people you were gay?
    NEWSTED: No. I mean, dude, there was so much, that's like a minor detail.

PLAYBOY: Why did they do that and why did you put up with it?
    NEWSTED: Because it was Metallica, it was my dream come true, man. I was definitely frustrated, fed up and kind of feeling unliked. They did it to see if I could handle it. If you're going to fill the shoes of Cliff Burton, you have to be resilient.

It goes on and on, but there is much worse stuff
    PLAYBOY: Jason, as time went on, did the band stop hazing you?
    NEWSTED: They actually got tougher as time went on. The second and third years were the most brutal. Instead of fraternity pranks, there were things that cut deep and were based on disrespect.

PLAYBOY: What did they do that was disrespectful?
    NEWSTED: Turning the bass down on And Justice for All. Not listening to my ideas, musically.

PLAYBOY: Is Jason even on And Justice for All?
    HETFIELD: His picture is on it [big laugh]. Someone sent me a joke CD, with a sticker on the outside that says, "And Justice for All—now with bass!"
    ULRICH: It's the only record of ours that I'm not entirely comfortable with. It became about ability and almost athletics, rather than music.
    PLAYBOY: But he could respect you by letting you release the album?
    NEWSTED: We're getting really close to some things we shouldn't be talking about. I would like him to see that this music is truly a part of me, like his child is a part of him.

PLAYBOY: What did James say when you told him that you wanted to release the album?
    NEWSTED: I won't go there. We have to change the subject.
    HETFIELD: Where would it end? Does he start touring with it? Does he sell shirts? Is it his band? That's the part I don't like. It's like cheating on your wife in a way. We're all married to Metallica. Married to each other.

PLAYBOY: So what is Jason supposed to do during the hiatus?
    HETFIELD: I don't ****ing know. I'm not his travel agent.
    HAMMETT: I just hope we can survive this in one piece without tearing each other's ****ing throats out.

PLAYBOY: Lars, do you think that Jason should be able to release his album?
    ULRICH: I wouldn't be able to look him in the eye and go, "You can't put that record out." That's not who I am as a person. That's pretty much all I have to say. I just can't get caught up in these meltdowns. I've got some issues in my family life, with my wife, that are a little more weighty than, like, whatever James Hetfield and Jason Newsted are bickering over.

PLAYBOY: What if Jason were to put it out anyway?
    HETFIELD: I don't know. It would disappoint me a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

this is brilliant though
    NEWSTEAD: One guy comes in, he's got his bass signed by the guy from Quiet Riot or something. And James just goes, "Next!" Like that, before the guy even got to plug in. Guys were, like, crushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Motley Crue, I've removed that link to the Playboy site. We can't have Boards users potentially being negatively affected by the overly-retouched, surgically-enhanced garbage that they peddle as "Entertainment for men".
    I was only watching an interview yesterday, with Metallica on Headbangers Ball in late 92 in San Francisco (Rikki Rach...something, he was doing it)
    That would be Riki Rachtman.
    I don't get why Mustaine seems to come off better to most people. I've seen interviews with him and Lars and to be honest they seem just as petty and childish as each other.
    It's all relative. Just because Dave Mustaine is less of a twat than Lars Ulrich doesn't mean he isn't still a twat. He's at a slightly lower level of twatishness :).

"where's my little danish buddy lars...we talked about digging a hole in the ground and filling it with pot and smoking it through the ground"
    SKOM extras!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

"where's my little danish buddy lars...we talked about digging a hole in the ground and filling it with pot and smoking it through the ground"
    SKOM extras!

Whiny ****er - Mustaine that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Malice wrote: »
    It's all relative. Just because Dave Mustaine is less of a twat than Lars Ulrich doesn't mean he isn't still a twat. He's at a slightly lower level of twatishness :).

My point is they're on equal levels of twattishness. I'd even consider going as far as saying Mustaine is worse. At least Ulrich showed some acknowledgement of being a dick.

But maybe my opinion is coloured by the fact that I think mustaine can't sing for **** :p

Mustaine: First, DISSECTION didn't have to be canceled. I made clear to my agent that I won't play with Satanic bands, and the promoter booked the band without checking with the agent. Because I'm a legend, I don't need to play with people who have gone on record and said they're an enemy of mine. Because I believe in God and he believes in Satan, that means we're enemies, right? It doesn't mean I can't pray for the guy; it just means he doesn't like me and he said so. And I told them that I was stepping off the bill. I never said to cancel those guys. Second, the guy B]DISSECTION[/B] frontman [B]Jon Nödveidt[/B threatened me in France. I have two first-degree black belts and I was just awarded a fourth-degree black belt from the World Taekwondo Federation. If the guy wants to threaten me, bring it. I went, he wasn't there. I try really, really hard to live my life peacefully, and this guy went on record saying he was my enemy. You know what? Something happened to him. He committed suicide, didn't he? Oh, bummer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

My point is they're on equal levels of twattishness. I'd even consider going as far as saying Mustaine is worse. At least Ulrich showed some acknowledgement of being a dick.

But maybe my opinion is coloured by the fact that I think mustaine can't sing for **** :p

He can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

Mustaine: First, DISSECTION didn't have to be canceled. I made clear to my agent that I won't play with Satanic bands, and the promoter booked the band without checking with the agent. Because I'm a legend, I don't need to play with people who have gone on record and said they're an enemy of mine. Because I believe in God and he believes in Satan, that means we're enemies, right? It doesn't mean I can't pray for the guy; it just means he doesn't like me and he said so. And I told them that I was stepping off the bill. I never said to cancel those guys. Second, the guy B]DISSECTION[/B] frontman [B]Jon Nödveidt[/B threatened me in France. I have two first-degree black belts and I was just awarded a fourth-degree black belt from the World Taekwondo Federation. If the guy wants to threaten me, bring it. I went, he wasn't there. I try really, really hard to live my life peacefully, and this guy went on record saying he was my enemy. You know what? Something happened to him. He committed suicide, didn't he? Oh, bummer.

Bloody Hell the man is insecure

Motley Crue, I've removed that link to the Playboy site. We can't have Boards users potentially being negatively affected by the overly-retouched, surgically-enhanced garbage that they peddle as "Entertainment for men".

Fair enough, but Playboy in the US do produce some good Journalism from time to time, and that particular interview is an interesting one to read (as you can see from the quotes) but I respect your decision to remove it

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I was never a fan of Ulrich and his conduct on various issues over the years that I'm not going to get into have just confirmed for me just how much of a twat he is. I sat through Some Kind of Monster and saw little or nothing there that made me think any different. I haven't had the same exposure to Dave Mustaine so he rates lower on the twat scale.

Fair enough, but Playboy in the US do produce some good Journalism from time to time, and that particular interview is an interesting one to read (as you can see from the quotes) but I respect your decision to remove it
    It's not about the interview at all, it's the rest of that site that is the issue. I agree 100% that the interview is worth reading. The problem is the rest of that site and what it promotes. Do a Google search for "playboy" and see what comes up in the site description. Is the quality of the site's articles mentioned anywhere? In fact, is the word "article" mentioned anywhere? Wouldn't they promote the articles if they were trying to draw readers in with them? Or maybe there's other content on the site that they use to attract viewers?

If someone wants interviews with musicians or high-quality, non surgically-enhanced erotic art pictures there are plenty of far better sources on the Internet.

Anyway, rant over, have I mentioned that I believe Ride The Lightning is the best Metallica album and anyone that thinks different is wrong? :p

It's not about the interview at all, it's the rest of that site that is the issue. I agree 100% that the interview is worth reading. The problem is the rest of that site and what it promotes. Do a Google search for "playboy" and see what comes up in the site description. Is the quality of the site's articles mentioned anywhere? In fact, is the word "article" mentioned anywhere? Wouldn't they promote the articles if they were trying to draw readers in with them? Or maybe there's other content on the site that they use to attract viewers?

If someone wants interviews with musicians or high-quality, non surgically-enhanced erotic art pictures there are plenty of far better sources on the Internet.

Anyway, rant over, have I mentioned that I believe Ride The Lightning is the best Metallica album and anyone that thinks different is wrong? :p
    it is one of the most famous and boundry crushing interviews in rock music ever though!

it is one of the most famous and boundry crushing interviews in rock music ever though!
    And your point is?

For the second time, I'm not disagreeing with posting the interview or its relevance, I'm just saying don't link to the Playboy site.

True enough, the first time I ever read this I was shocked, but given that they had already parted with Newsted by that stage, I wasn't surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

http://www.ilikethat.com/metallica/interviews_playboy.cfm

the interview in full not on playboy so we don't offend anyone

He can't.

Just watched Cliff Em All, and there was a a piece on there from Cliff's 2nd ever gig...it was amazing how well the line up of Burton, Hetfield, Mustaine and Ulrich could have been if fate had of had other plans

Also watched the Roseland Ballroom concert and was impressed, would have easily liked to see Metallica do a full tour playing nothing but cover versions

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭blackpowder

i,m a 34 year old rock n roll rebel i,m probabley one of matalliccas biggest fans so i should get respect for coming on here matallicas best song are as i know everyone will agree with me are ;
    the frayed ends of sanity
    hero of the day
    garage days the long version
    so what ( their orginal masterpiece)
    the day that should not be is also a matallica classic

p.s matallica should look out for their loyal fans i have never seen them in concert but i hope to in 2011 with my metal buddies

are all your buddies cavedwellers too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

i,m a 34 year old rock n roll rebel i,m probabley one of matalliccas biggest fans so i should get respect for coming on here matallicas best song are as i know everyone will agree with me are ;
    the frayed ends of sanity
    hero of the day

p.s matallica should look out for their loyal fans i have never seen them in concert but i hope to in 2011 with my metal buddies

There is so much wrong with that post. I...don't even... know... what
    :(

• Advertisement

i,m a 34 year old rock n roll rebel

Good for you, well done, I wish there were more people like you
    i,m probabley one of matalliccas biggest fans

Glad to hear that
    so i should get respect for coming on here

OK, respect to you I suppose...bit odd that one...
    matallicas best song are as i know everyone will agree with me are

OK, I have a few friends with spelling difficulty, so I'm not going to attempt to criticize you over the spelling or bad grammar as I wouldn't want to be disrespectful, but em...due to the fact you're one of the band's biggest fans and due to the fact that this thread includes the bands name in it's title you might have made a considerable effort to make sure you spelt the bands name correctly

Metallica have never released a song called Garage Days

Diamond Head originally wrote So What, it is not a Metallica song, just a popular Metallica cover

True enough, but what you've actually done here, is to confuse 'The Day That Never Comes' with 'The Thing That Should Not Be'

Look forward to meeting you at the front lines - please remember to bring a big poster flag declaring your love for your chosen band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Good for you, well done, I wish there were more people like you

Glad to hear that

OK, respect to you I suppose...bit odd that one...

OK, I have a few friends with spelling difficulty, so I'm not going to attempt to criticize you over the spelling or bad grammar as I wouldn't want to be disrespectful, but em...due to the fact you're one of the band's biggest fans and due to the fact that this thread includes the bands name in it's title you might have made a considerable effort to make sure you spelt the bands name correctly

Metallica have never released a song called Garage Days

Diamond Head originally wrote So What, it is not a Metallica song, just a popular Metallica cover

True enough, but what you've actually done here, is to confuse 'The Day That Never Comes' with 'The Thing That Should Not Be'

Look forward to meeting you at the front lines - please remember to bring a big poster flag declaring your love for your chosen band

Even though you were so right in all your points, if I could be a completely pedantic, picky prick... Diamond Head did not write so what? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_What%3F
    :o

D.Q wrote: »
    Even though you were so right in all your points, if I could be a completely pedantic, picky prick... Diamond Head did not write so what? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_What%3F
    :o

Ah **** I was thinking of Am I Evil

So What was Anti Nowhere League wasn't it....

FECK!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭blackpowder

i will matallica are flagtastic

OK....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

pmsl
    :rolleyes:

Maybe Blackpowder doesn't actually mean Metallica but is talking about this or this?
    i,m probabley one of matalliccas biggest fans so i should get respect for coming on here
    I can forgive a certain amount of bad spelling if the user raises some well thought-out points. I'm not too fond of a user posting something like that and bringing an odd attitude of entitlement with them. For your own sake please proofread and spellcheck your posts before submitting them.
    Lastly, respect isn't given it's earned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I for one welcome our new uber metal overlord.

A man so metal that he has to check himself for rust, warrants the respect of each and every one of us. Manowar would kill to be so metal.

Malice, you will offer him your respect and fall on your Mod sword. :P

All hail our new king.

Hail Blackpowder.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Manowar would kill to be so metal.

BANNED

no disrespecting the kings, it's in the charter....somewhere....really small print...

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    I for one welcome our new uber metal overlord.

A man so metal that he has to check himself for rust, warrants the respect of each and every one of us. Manowar would kill to be so metal.

Malice, you will offer him your respect and fall on your Mod sword. :P

All hail our new king.

Hail Blackpowder.
    Pfft, if he was that metal he'd be made of aluminium so nothing as weak as rust could possibly affect his metalness.

Advertisement