Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭briany

Well there are a couple of songs that he's claiming he wrote 100% by himself

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/dave-mustaine-metallica-no-life-til-leather/

Lars is trying to claim credit on the original versions of these songs? Lars' main contribution to songs throughout the years has been as an arranger of sorts e.g. "Fock! That riff is amazing! Play that one bit three times, and then play that other bit at the end. That'll be the 'tail'".

In that regard, he may have a claim on the original songs, but it's maybe impossible to prove, and I think his role in the songwriting process gets him credit because of an understanding he has with Hetfield, and Mustaine may not see it the same way.

But I think Lars should let it go. I watched a video of Eddie Trunk talking about this little dispute, and he says that, in Metallica's defence, they've always been quite generous with publishing and royalties. For example, when they went to do their covers album, they did not demand 50 percent of the publishing rights to the songs in exchange for bringing the original artist back to public attention. A practice that Trunk says certain big bands have engaged in. So it does seem a little bit odd that Lars would be demanding credit on two songs on an album that wouldn't make hardly any money anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,148 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

briany wrote: »
    I think Dave Mustaine is credited on 6 Met songs, total. What I want to know is whether the Met lads did so out of a sense of fair dues to Dave, or because if they hadn't, Dave could in some way prove that those were his riffs they were using and take them to task.

Dave has supposedly claimed that they were using some of his stuff on Leper Messiah, too, so if Metallica were crediting him out of a sense of duty, then this would have been a strange omission (if it were true, that is).

Dave claims to have invented a certain guitar style named the spider riff. He showed it to James who then used in leper Messiah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Dave claims to have invented a certain guitar style named the spider riff. He showed it to James who then used in leper Messiah.

The riff was used in Ride'. Video of DM playing it on Youtube and talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭briany

With how proud Dave seems to be of his spider chord technique, I'd say he's sorry guitar playing techniques can't be patented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Still have no idea how Kvelertak got support on this whole European tour, only guess is that a lot of money changed hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

scudzilla wrote: »
    Still have no idea how Kvelertak got support on this whole European tour, only guess is that a lot of money changed hands
    I think this is the way Metallica supports bands they like.

finhex wrote: »

Nah, if that really was the case they'd bring a different band out for each 2 wk run, and maybe a band people have heard of, they're charging enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Nah, if that really was the case they'd bring a different band out for each 2 wk run, and maybe a band people have heard of, they're charging enough

In fairness a supporting band normally does the full run. And I'd be surprised if people going to Metallica hadn't at least heard of Kvelertak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Hmmm...if only Metallica had a Scandiwegian connection. That might even explain the god awful Volbeat as support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

ush wrote: »
    Hmmm...if only Metallica had a Scandiwegian connection. That might even explain the god awful Volbeat as support.

Rob Caggiano plays guitar for Volbeat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Mushy wrote: »

In fairness a supporting band normally does the full run. And I'd be surprised if people going to Metallica hadn't at least heard of Kvelertak

I have to be honest - I'd say the majority, including myself, have never heard of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I have to be honest - I'd say the majority, including myself, have never heard of them.
    That's exactly why James & co pick bands they like as a support act. In case of Metallica support means that band is supported by Metallica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

That's exactly why James & co pick bands they like as a support act. In case of Metallica support means that band is supported by Metallica.

part of the ' metallica familee ' .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Story behind James's new guitar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Great gig in Geneva. 22k people only standing places, good setlist. Managed do grab guitar pick and buy poster. Super happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Story behind James's new guitar.

This is great, James is awesome, super interesting and creative guy. Anyone see that great interview he did with Joe Rogan? Worth a watch. Very into sustaining his family organically, hunts himself, tries to grow his own food, and makes honey and keeps bees. Really into building cars and bikes and does a bit of art. The "garage guitar" is class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

The Geneva gig finally rolled around and it was really enjoyable. Thought there were a couple of off moments (songs have possibly gotten too quick for them in parts), but solid throughout and very entertaining. Good setlist of old and new; digging the new album.

Finally got around to watching Some Kind of Monster when I got back. Interesting to see the process during St Anger - was hoping the retrospective would talk more about their feelings towards that contentious album and the reaction to it though.

🤪

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Man For Justice

Album Master Of Puppets.

00:00 - Battery
    5:14 - Master of puppets
    13:50-The Thing That Shold Not Be
    20:26 - Welcome home(Sanitarium)
    26:53 - Disposable heroes
    35:09 - Leper Messiah
    40:51 - Orion
    49:21 - Damage Inc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Album Master Of Puppets.

00:00 - Battery
    5:14 - Master of puppets
    13:50-The Thing That Shold Not Be
    20:26 - Welcome home(Sanitarium)
    26:53 - Disposable heroes
    35:09 - Leper Messiah
    40:51 - Orion
    49:21 - Damage Inc

Grand so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Following facebook post. Metallica will be back to Europe for stadium shows. Do you think there is a chance they will play in Ireland???

WOW! As another amazing run of European shows comes to an end, we are a little speechless (when does that happen?) and stunned by the overwhelming response and outpouring of love you have all shown us! After 39 shows in 29 cities in front of 650,000 of you crazy die-hard ‘Tallica fans, we'll be packing up our gear and heading home for the summer.

Along the way, you helped us break attendance records across the continent 29 times, sometimes breaking the record from show number one in a venue just two days later with the second show! It is staggering to us that all of this is still happening after 37 years as a band, and we could not be more honored.

Lucky for us, we’ll be back!! Look for info here in September about our return in May of 2019 for a run of stadiums through August. And already we cannot wait! Until then, THANK YOU!!

• Advertisement

Greg81 wrote: »
    Following facebook post. Metallica will be back to Europe for stadium shows. Do you think there is a chance they will play in Ireland???

Somehow I imagine stadium officials in Ireland being d**kheads on letting a heavy metal band play on their precious grounds. But I'd like to see it happen.

Could end up them playing two shows back to back in the 3 Arena maybe since it's not that big of a venue. They played there when it was the point in the 90's a couple of times, but they've attracted a lot of fans since then, so it could end up being two shows which would be class.

Indoor here would be unreal...defo not gonna happen.

Gonna be an outdoor field if they come for sure the stadiums here are brutal for gigs.

Last 2 Slanes were May, Castle owner was only saying recently has an act for next year one that has never played there before. :p

Indoor here would be unreal...defo not gonna happen.

Gonna be an outdoor field if they come for sure the stadiums here are brutal for gigs.

Last 2 Slanes were May, Castle owner was only saying recently has an act for next year one that has never played there before. :p

We don't have a full scale arena that has the stage in the middle of the floor like where Metallica have been playing the last while. We need something like the Odyssey in Belfast, I seen Metallica there in 2010, and it's a great venue, we have nothing like that down our way. The 3 Arena is nice and all but it's very compact isn't it? can fit a lot in it, but if Metallica were to play there, they couldn't do the middle of the floor thing, I think their whole stage is like custom made and everything, they do put a lot of effort and money into the look of their concerts. And indoor Irish arenas can't facilitate it. Unless they were allowed play in a stadium, which I can't see happening.

Stadiums are sacrosanct in this country and only particular acts can play in them....f**king Garth Brooks and Ed Sheeran and the like!

I hear Coldplay are rumoured for Slane next year. A bit lame for Slane.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    We don't have a full scale arena that has the stage in the middle of the floor like where Metallica have been playing the last while. We need something like the Odyssey in Belfast, I seen Metallica there in 2010, and it's a great venue, we have nothing like that down our way. The 3 Arena is nice and all but it's very compact isn't it?

Saw them in London last year defo woulda fit,they wanted the numbers; only doing the biggest cities biggest venues in the UK wasn't coincidence. Muse fitted their monstrosity of a yolk in the 3.
    zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Stadiums are sacrosanct in this country and only particular acts can play in them....f**king Garth Brooks and Ed Sheeran and the like!

I hear Coldplay are rumoured for Slane next year. A bit lame for Slane.

Was more referring to AC/DC they played Aviva 3 years ago terrible as a music venue :)

Coldplay can get in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Could easily see Metallica do the Aviva but with a very strong support. Big 4 would be ideal but with Slayer gone....

It's all crap about stadiums being sacrosant here, and that a metal act wouldn't be allowed to play is rubbish. If MCD booked it and paid for it then there would be no issue at all.
    I'm a huge Metallica fan but there is no way i can see them playing a stadium here, the bands management would put them out to promotors, MCD would have a look and realise that it's a HUGE risk to put them on in Landsdowne when last Marley show was such a poor seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It's all crap about stadiums being sacrosant here, and that a metal act wouldn't be allowed to play is rubbish. If MCD booked it and paid for it then there would be no issue at all.
    I'm a huge Metallica fan but there is no way i can see them playing a stadium here, the bands management would put them out to promotors, MCD would have a look and realise that it's a HUGE risk to put them on in Landsdowne when last Marley show was such a poor seller.

While I agree for the most part, that last Marley show was a time when they had played in 09, 06, 03 and I think 05 was in there too. Market saturation, so with a long break now hopefully numbers will increase again

It's all crap about stadiums being sacrosant here, and that a metal act wouldn't be allowed to play is rubbish.

Yeah exactly it's not like they are putting on Oathbreaker or Emperor in the stadium it's one of the most mainstream bands of any genre. Who the feck hasn't heard of Metallica?
    Mushy wrote: »
    While I agree for the most part, that last Marley show was a time when they had played in 09, 06, 03 and I think 05 was in there too. Market saturation, so with a long break now hopefully numbers will increase again

Almost correct no 05

RDS shows were
    03 w/Darkness,Linkin Park
    04 w/Slipknot,Lostprophets
    06 (Download Ireland)w/A7X,Alice in Chains,Stone Sour

Stadium in Cork be a good option I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Marley was 2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I’m sure they did 05 with Iron Maiden in RDS?

Advertisement