Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah exactly it's not like they are putting on Oathbreaker or Emperor in the stadium it's one of the most mainstream bands of any genre. Who the feck hasn't heard of Metallica?

Almost correct no 05

RDS shows were
    03 w/Darkness,Linkin Park
    04 w/Slipknot,Lostprophets
    06 (Download Ireland)w/A7X,Alice in Chains,Stone Sour

Stadium in Cork be a good option I wonder?

I'd be all up for Cork, could just sit out the back and hear it despite being 15km away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    I’m sure they did 05 with Iron Maiden in RDS?

Maiden played there in 05 alright with Marilyn Manson and Turbonegro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Somehow I imagine stadium officials in Ireland being d**kheads on letting a heavy metal band play on their precious grounds.

I don't think a heavy metal band has ever been prevented playing a stadium here before so there's no reason to think it would happen now. Money trumps most things so getting a payday would take precedence over any ill informed notion that having a rock band play your venue is a bad idea. Remember Black Sabbath and Motorhead played Dalymount Park in the '80s when Ireland was a million miles from what it is today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mushy wrote: »
    While I agree for the most part, that last Marley show was a time when they had played in 09, 06, 03 and I think 05 was in there too. Market saturation, so with a long break now hopefully numbers will increase again

Unfortunately with the prices Metallica will be charging promotors there is no way in hell i can see MCD taking the risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,870 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Big if but I can see them play A field like Marley Park, Punchestown or Phoenix Park if they do decide to come here. RDS be a good shout but isn't been redeveloped next summer ???. Aviva, Croke Park and PUC in Cork too big Unless they have an unreal support bill but from the support were getting for the Stones next week promoters here like to go cheap

If they skip Ireland again for this run than I think we may never see them here again !!

• Advertisement

They wouldn't fill Landsdowne or Croker but of the other outdoor venues around Dublin used these days, Marlay Park, Malahide Castle, Kilmainham Hospital would all be suitable venues I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

They wouldn't fill Landsdowne or Croker but of the other outdoor venues around Dublin used these days, Marlay Park, Malahide Castle, Kilmainham Hospital would all be suitable venues I'd say.

Any idea what is the capacity in Kilmainham Hospital?

Greg81 wrote: »
    Any idea what is the capacity in Kilmainham Hospital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Thanks.

That could be suitable venue in my opinion.

Thanks.

No chance, they've already said it's going to be a stadium run, thats 40k +, it's Landsdowne or nothing.

They've already said they're only doing 50 shows max per year and in 2wk bursts, why would they come and play an 11k capacity venue here when they could play a 50k stadium in central europe.

• Advertisement

In my opinion it would be too, as Scud has said though Metallica's management = 11k that all? well that's unsuitable, ya let's do Stade de France!

Stadium run just means outdoors in my opinion. I’m sure in Europe they’ll be playing festivals in fields and all sorts of places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

scudzilla wrote: »
    Mushy wrote: »
    While I agree for the most part, that last Marley show was a time when they had played in 09, 06, 03 and I think 05 was in there too. Market saturation, so with a long break now hopefully numbers will increase again

Unfortunately with the prices Metallica will be charging promotors there is no way in hell i can see MCD taking the risk

Oh yeah, then there's that problem. Wait and see though, I'm sure they'll find somewhere suitable (Malahide maybe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,150 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No chance, they've already said it's going to be a stadium run, thats 40k +, it's Landsdowne or nothing.

They've already said they're only doing 50 shows max per year and in 2wk bursts, why would they come and play an 11k capacity venue here when they could play a 50k stadium in central europe.

Because they're decent people :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The last couple of out door ones didn't do big numbers, they aren't a huge draw here. Slane, Aviva is fantasy stuff. They don't appeal to the mainstream like guns and roses or acdc.

Hope they come anyway it's like 10 years since I've seen them.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Marley was 2008

and 2009.

We were lucky in the 2000's with Dublin Metallica gigs in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2009. If you throw in The Point gig in July 1999, that was six Metallica Dublin gigs in ten years! But none since then, so it's a case of feast and famine.

It would be great to see them back here again next summer... but I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Okon wrote: »
    and 2009.

We were lucky in the 2000's with Dublin Metallica gigs in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2009. If you throw in The Point gig in July 1999, that was six Metallica Dublin gigs in ten years! But none since then, so it's a case of feast and famine.

It would be great to see them back here again next summer... but I'm not holding my breath.

I was at all 5 of the 2000's gigs. It was burnout really at that stage.

Be chomping at the bit to see them back again though. I've promised my wife i'd bring her. There's nothing like a live Metallica show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Marley was 2008

And 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Get excited - they're booked for Slane, June next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Are we doing a sweepstake?

I'll put my €20 on Croke Park Summer 2019...

(Much easier than that trek at Slane too!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I’ll eat my shoes if they come to Ireland this time. I just can’t see it, though wherever they do play, I’ll be there. There’s a song in that......

Okon wrote: »
    Are we doing a sweepstake?

I'll put my €20 on Croke Park Summer 2019...

(Much easier than that trek at Slane too!) :)

Not a chance they'll play either Croker or Slane. Metallica would never sell the 60k tickets it would take to make it viable for a promoter to even consider one of those venues.

Not a chance they'll play either Croker or Slane. Metallica would never sell the 60k tickets it would take to make it viable for a promoter to even consider one of those venues.

Nobody should wish to see a band they like on croke Park. As someone mentioned in the stones thread the nearest you can sit to the stage is further than the back of the 3 arena and that will cost you 200 quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Nobody should wish to see a band they like on croke Park. As someone mentioned in the stones thread the nearest you can sit to the stage is further than the back of the 3 arena and that will cost you 200 quid

Who wants to sit at a gig (unless they really need to?!)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    Who wants to sit at a gig (unless they really need to?!)

Well you're going to ****ing need to if standing isn't available

Not a chance they'll play either Croker or Slane.

My €20 is on the table, pick a venue if you want to play the game! :D

I'll be the bookie if ya want

2019 Irish Metallica Gigs

2/7 No Irish Gig
    Evens Malahide Castle
    Evens Marley Park
    6/1 3 Arena
    8/1 Landsowne
    20/1 Croke Park
    33/1 Slane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,870 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'll be the bookie if ya want

2019 Irish Metallica Gigs

2/7 No Irish Gig
    Evens Malahide Castle
    Evens Marley Park
    6/1 3 Arena
    8/1 Landsowne
    20/1 Croke Park
    33/1 Slane

RDS Arena would be an option but I think it's being redeveloped for the summer of 2019 ??

Wonder would they play PUC In Cork too ??

Id go with No Irish gig or Marley Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

PTH2009 wrote: »
    RDS Arena would be an option but I think it's being redeveloped for the summer of 2019 ??

Wonder would they play PUC In Cork too ??

Id go with No Irish gig or Marley Park

I hope to **** they never ever play Marley Park again.

Advertisement