Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

They didnt sell out Marley which is less than half the capacity of Slane, they'd need a load of support and even still..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Bookies have Coldplay as favourites for Slane 2019, followed by Radiohead and The Killers. Fleetwood Mac also listed. Metallica not in top 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Was going through this the other night, it's been said a major band who hasn't played there will play, Coldplay have supported there before , will the killers come back after playing the RDS this June , I was really just hoping its Metallica , highly doubt it though but as i said to the gf people go to Slane just cause its Slane, so it might still sell well with just Metallica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    I'm just telling ye what I know.
    Make of the info what ye will !

Also, consider the following publicly known info:
    Metallica are due to start their Euro tour in May and Lord Henry Mountcharles has confirmed that a major band (that has not played Slane before) is going to play an early June show.

Could it possibly be Metallica??
    (The answer is yes, 'cos they're booked to play there!) :D

But, what we want to know, is how do you know?

All you are doing is adding 2+2 = Metallica in Slane !

Paddy Casey is touring next year, and he has never played Slane .......... :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

mightyreds wrote: »
    Was going through this the other night, it's been said a major band who hasn't played there will play, Coldplay have supported there before , will the killers come back after playing the RDS this June , I was really just hoping its Metallica , highly doubt it though but as i said to the gf people go to Slane just cause its Slane, so it might still sell well with just Metallica

People even go mental for Garth Brooks so while I say they wouldn't sell it out I would be surprised either. Foo Fighters drew 60k when they headlined who wouldnt be that popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Metallica are due to start their Euro tour in May and Lord Henry Mountcharles has confirmed that a major band (that has not played Slane before) is going to play an early June show.

Source? As much as I'd love it to happen, I doubt it will.....? They're just not big enough to fill a place like Slane.

Remember for years the ACDC rumours, and that never happened.

Source? As much as I'd love it to happen, I doubt it will.....? They're just not big enough to fill a place like Slane.

Remember for years the ACDC rumours, and that never happened.

AC/DC - Slane 2019. You heard it here first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Campsite booked :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

AC/DC - Slane 2019. You heard it here first!

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Who's gonna run the sweep-stake for who's playing Slane in 2019? I'll have a tenner on Motorhead.... oh hang on... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,150 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Okon wrote: »
    Who's gonna run the sweep-stake for who's playing Slane in 2019? I'll have a tenner on Motorhead.... oh hang on... :eek:

It's motorhead ft David grohl I heard

Meat Loaf ?
    Hes never played there .................................

But..
    "he'd do anything for love, but he wont do that ..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Anyone want my Metallica cds for cheap? If so, pm.

James can't really sing anymore. I wouldn't want to go to a concert because of his voice. Get Marianne Faithful on lead vocals permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭colmufc

greenspurs wrote: »
    But, what we want to know, is how do you know?

All you are doing is adding 2+2 = Metallica in Slane !

Paddy Casey is touring next year, and he has never played Slane .......... :rolleyes:

Paddy casey has played slane thou so that's him ruled out

colmufc wrote: »
    Paddy casey has played slane thou so that's him ruled out

as a headliner ???? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yknaa

New evidence of early Metallica uncovered ;-)

https://twitter.com/tcdresearchcoll/status/1010169891956166656?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Seeing as there's nothing going on with the band right now, Chris Jericho did a podcast with Ron McGovney recently, linked below.

Interview itself starts at 3:43 for those wanting to get right to it, and not listen to Jericho's rambling.

Ron McGovney is the original Metallica bassist, and it was his garage that not only hosted auditions for the band but also served as their first rehearsal space! Ron recounts how he met James Hetfield in junior high, what happened to their highschool band, Leather Charm, his first introduction to drummer Lars Ulrich (and what he thought when he heard Lars play), and how Dave Mustaine ended up in Metallica. He also shares details about Metallica’s first couple of live shows (including playing with Saxon at the Whisky A Go Go on the Sunset Strip), how and why Ron was replaced by Cliff Burton, what his relationship with Mustaine was like during and after their days in Metallica, and how his friendship with James has survived over the years. Plus, Ron was at Metallica’s Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction, and joined them onstage for their big 30th Anniversary concert in San Francisco!

That’s a great interview, thanks for posting. He comes across like a very decent bloke with no regrets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,150 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ron was great, very interesting chap. It's like his version of events brings everyone else's version back to reality!

As for jericho..
    "Ron we'll talk about the dynamic within Metallica after I tell you the dynamic in my band fozzy is awesome because of ddt yoga" and then a 3min ad for yoga..

Also stumbled on this when I found the Jericho/McGovney interview, soundboard from the Los Angeles show in September 1992, with John Marshall filling in for James on guitar...

• Advertisement

Ron was great, very interesting chap. It's like his version of events brings everyone else's version back to reality!

As for jericho..
    "Ron we'll talk about the dynamic within Metallica after I tell you the dynamic in my band fozzy is awesome because of ddt yoga" and then a 3min ad for yoga..

The only downside to Jericho's podcast for me, and probably other podcasts as well, the obvious break in the interview to shill/advertise something..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The only downside to Jericho's podcast for me, and probably other podcasts as well, the obvious break in the interview to shill/advertise something..

I gave up listening to Podcast One Podcasts for this very reason.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I gave up listening to Podcast One Podcasts for this very reason.

He and JR jumped from Podcast One, but that's neither here nor there.. Don't know how bad the ads are on Westwood One for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Me undies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

oh me undies, me undies

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

MCD's Instagram a/c yesterday posted a live Metallica video from earlier this year, and today a James RTL Q&A link... are they teasing an (MCD promoted) Metallica Ireland gig for Summer 2019, or is it just a couple of random posts that mean nothing?????

Now let's play the guess the venue game again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Okon wrote: »
    MCD's Instagram a/c yesterday posted a live Metallica video from earlier this year, and today a James RTL Q&A link... are they teasing an (MCD promoted) Metallica Ireland gig for Summer 2019, or is it just a couple of random posts that mean nothing?????

Now let's play the guess the venue game again...

*waits for Slane guy to come back with "confirmed"

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    *waits for Slane guy to come back with "confirmed"

+1 :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

With a really good support line up, they may just about trickle to a respectable crowd at Lansdowne Road.

Is the RDS closed next summer for refurbishment?

• Advertisement

Question is, if they are coming back and (this isn't just someone using the MCD Facebook page to have a bit of fun at our expense), who could they potentially announce as supports?

Advertisement