Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Question is, if they are coming back and (this isn't just someone using the MCD Facebook page to have a bit of fun at our expense), who could they potentially announce as supports?

Why ?
    If they are not coming , does it matter?

Maybe wait and see if they announce a gig ? :confused:

OOOOPSSS !!! Nearly forgot about yer man on her that said they are definitely playing Slane next year ! DEFINITELY :rolleyes::D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Question is, if they are coming back and (this isn't just someone using the MCD Facebook page to have a bit of fun at our expense), who could they potentially announce as supports?
    Big 4 could be pretty cool. If not already retired Slayer could be tempted back for a few nice paydays next Summer.

Other than that maybe AX7 and a.nother.

Could see both selling pretty well at Aviva or RDS perhaps but Slane probably a bit out of reach unless you had really strong support - Rammstein or Slipknot as almost co-headliners or something.... well one can dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Me undies

No more sweaty clam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,150 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Slane is doable, its gone too big anyway. A 60000 slane with strong support would be brilliant.

Just seen Slayer are actually headining some festival in France in June of next year so Big 4 would be a possibility alright. Still thnk it would fit the Aviva far better than Slane.

• Advertisement

Just seen that MCD put up another link to a James Hetfield video a few hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Degag wrote: »
    Just seen that MCD put up another link to a James Hetfield video a few hours ago

And this from edition.ie

What’s Metallica’s relationship with Ireland?
    Lars Ulrich:
    Ah Ireland, it’s great. I visit when I can. The shows are always memorable, and the crowds give it their all. I was actually in Dublin only a few months ago. My wife is a lifelong Radiohead fan, so I booked some flights, a hotel, and we saw Radiohead live in Dublin. It was great. We considered bringing this tour, but the arena would not work due to the stage layout and the amounts of pyro we had planned. But I can tell you now we will return to Dublin in 2019.

http://edition.ie/2017/12/28/an-interview-with-metallica/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

There is to be an announcement of more shows for summer 2019 next month according to their website, it was posted at the end of their last run through Europe in May. The shows are to run from May until August next year.

Somehow I think Ireland will get a visit around August, they come here in August a lot. They did in 03, 08 and 09. Could well be June either, they came in June in 04 and 06 as well if I remember right. I'm there anyway whenever they play.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

As Lars said Dublin, that must rule out Slane!

(Unless he thinks Slane is Dublin of course. :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Okon wrote: »

There's other places outside of Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Dublin is fine. Please just come. Doesn’t matter where.

Okon wrote: »

Well Axl last year did say at the end of Paradise City at Slane,

Slane Castle, Dublin Ireland, thank and good ****ing night :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

wonder where they'll be. Hopefully Marlay park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

D.Q wrote: »
    wonder where they'll be. Hopefully Marlay park.

Hopefully not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Well it'll be Marlay or the RDS. Prefer Marlay myself, won't be indoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,870 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

D.Q wrote: »
    Well it'll be Marlay or the RDS. Prefer Marlay myself, won't be indoors.

i think the RDS is closed next summer to get redeveloped ??

Was at Queen in Marlay Park in July and it was ok but it was a smaller setup with the stage to the side. Metallica would draw a bigger crowd and the stage will prob be where it was in 2008/9 or in front of the house ??

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭glucifer

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i think the RDS is closed next summer to get redeveloped ??

Was at Queen in Marlay Park in July and it was ok but it was a smaller setup with the stage to the side. Metallica would draw a bigger crowd and the stage will prob be where it was in 2008/9 or in front of the house ??

So Big Mick confirmed to a friend of a friend that Metallica will play Croke Park in 2019... there is also this floating around online...
    Metallica Self Destruct Stadium tour 2019

Europe leg 1 (May )

Coimbra, Portugal - Estadio Citado De Combria
    Barcelona, Spain - Camp Nou stadium
    Milan, Italy - San Siro stadium
    Rome, Italy - Stadio Olympico
    Paris, France - Stade De France
    Berlin, Germany - Olympic Stadium
    Gelsenkirchen, Germany - Veltins Arena

Europe Leg 2 (June)

Frankfurt, Germany - Commerzbank Arena
    Warsaw, Poland - Dedek Stadium
    Zagreb, Croatia - Stadium Maksimir
    Horsens, Denmark - CASA Arena Horsens
    Helsinki, Finland - Olympic Stadium
    Vienna, Austria - Ernst Happel Stadium
    Zurich, Switzerland - Letzigrund Arena

Europe leg 3 (August)

Amsterdam, Netherlands - Amsterdam Arena
    Belgium, Brussels - King Boudewijn Stadium
    Dublin, Ireland - Croke Park Stadium
    London, England - Wembley Stadium
    Glasgow, Scotland - Hampden Park Stadium
    Shefffield, England - Don Valley Stadium
    Cardiff, Wales - Millennium Stadium

Now I don't know anything about GAA so I don't know if Croke Park would be available in August.

I also read an article recently about Garth Brooks, something regarding Irish dates being looked at again and that Croke Park is definitely not a potential venue for him as another promoter (ie not Aiken) has all the 2019 dates booked already.... that and the previous debacle of course. So MCD has Croker tied up...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It would be available in May or June, there is no chance of Croke Park being available in August, when all the big matches are played.

It would be available in May or June, there is no chance of Croke Park being available in August, when all the big matches are played.

Depends when in August the stadium would be needed by the band. Didn't Michael Bublé play there this year a week before some big match? That's if I'm remembering correctly.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Depends when in August the stadium would be needed by the band. Didn't Michael Bublé play there this year a week before some big match? That's if I'm remembering correctly.

Buble was the first week of July, from August on there are big games on in Croke Park every week, even if there was a free week they'd keep that open in case of a replay, Metallica would only half fill Croker anyway, unless they've had an unexplicable spike in popularity here.

• Advertisement

Buble was the first week of July, from August on there are big games on in Croke Park every week, even if there was a free week they'd keep that open in case of a replay, Metallica would only half fill Croker anyway, unless they've had an unexplicable spike in popularity here.

Ya I thought Croke Park would be way to big for them but they haven't played Ireland in what will be 10 years, so there's that, there's also the fact that they are doing huge stadiums in the US and the goodwill from releasing their best album in years. They have a great team behind them so I'd imagine if they choose Croke Park then it will because they know they can sell it out, even if they sell it out on the day.

They have really been going all out in terms of venue size for the US stadium tours and perhaps if they only do London & Dublin they might have demand.... who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The GAA are aiming to keep Croke Park free of concerts in July and August.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0702/974700-gaa-look-to-end-july-and-august-croke-park-concerts/

Aviva in my opinion would be the perfect venue. Easy to get to and with a proper support could see 50k ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Pairc ui choimh would be perfect,would be great to have them in Cork for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

glucifer wrote: »
    So Big Mick confirmed to a friend of a friend that Metallica will play Croke Park in 2019... there is also this floating around online...
    Metallica Self Destruct Stadium tour 2019

Helsinki, Finland - Olympic Stadium
    At least this information is total BS as Helsinki Stadium is going through renovations and closed until summer 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,150 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Croke Park is the the worst music venue I've ever been to. It's 100% geared towards profit and provides no entertainment for half the venue. Marley Park is at least a million times better. I had free tickets for the rolling stones this year valued at €120 and at best you're looking at the screens listening to patchy sound.

Croke Park is the the worst music venue I've ever been to. It's 100% geared towards profit and provides no entertainment for half the venue. Marley Park is at least a million times better. I had free tickets for the rolling stones this year valued at €120 and at best you're looking at the screens listening to patchy sound.

Never been to Croke Park, hope it's not there anyway. Would love more than anything if it were Cork but there is not a hope of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,870 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Croke Park is way to big Unless there getting one hell of a support card

Croke Park is grand for a concert if u get seats in the first few sections of the Hogan/Cusack. Sound doesn't travel great if ur far away from the stage. Standing area is also quite large as GAA pitches are generally longer/wider

We just have to wait and see. Somewhere like Slane will be a nightmare for me as I hate Field gigs and the VIP seated tickets cost a fortune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Croke Park is way to big Unless there getting one hell of a support card

We just have to wait and see. Somewhere like Slane will be a nightmare for me as I hate Field gigs and the VIP seated tickets cost a fortune

There has NEVER been a support card in a stadium gig here for a rock concert, one established name if anything that's it.

Wouldn't go if it's in one of those Dublin stadiums meself waste of my time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

sugarman wrote: »
    To be fair, the only real "rock concert" held in a stadium here in recent years has been AC/DC.

Youve to back to mid 90s when Sunstroke festival was held in Dalyer with a full support card and then back to the early 80s to Garden Party also held in Dalyer.

If Metallica brought Alice in Chains and Avenged Sevenfold with them last time they played here.. can't see any reason they wouldn't be able to bring a similar line up to a stadium gig.

Rolling Stones,U2,The Police,Bon Jovi and Chilli Peppers whatever your preference are still rock bands even if Sugaman on boards in his opinion decides they aren't really rock.

Sunstroke catered to 15k fans so this isn't comparable.

Advertisement