Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Sunstroke catered to 15k fans so this isn't comparable.

Great days. Well the first two in Dalymount anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

AC/DC and Metallica are 100% mainstream rock bands. Both transcend the genre for sure you don't headline Glastonbury or get a stage that only they can play on at the most historical rock venue in the UK otherwise simple. At their shows from chatting to people I've come across a multitude of people it's apparent they know very little about other rock or metal acts but those bands are the be all end all for them. The Chillis wider audience deserted them when they did Croker :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,150 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Croke Park is way to big Unless there getting one hell of a support card

Croke Park is grand for a concert if u get seats in the first few sections of the Hogan/Cusack. Sound doesn't travel great if ur far away from the stage. Standing area is also quite large as GAA pitches are generally longer/wider

We just have to wait and see. Somewhere like Slane will be a nightmare for me as I hate Field gigs and the VIP seated tickets cost a fortune

Support means nothing in croke Park... It's a terrible venue for 70% of the crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

AC/DC and Metallica are 100% mainstream rock bands. Both transcend the genre for sure you don't headline Glastonbury or get a stage that only they can play on at the most historical rock venue in the UK otherwise simple. At their shows from chatting to people I've come across a multitude of people it's apparent they know very little about other rock or metal acts but those bands are the be all end all for them. The Chillis wider audience deserted them when they did Croker :pac:

AC/DC, guns and roses are way more mainstream than Metallica. At a push people not into them would of heard enter sandman and NEM. Aviva is about the biggest they could fill, Croke Park zero chance.

rob316 wrote: »
    AC/DC, guns and roses are way more mainstream than Metallica

That hasn’t been the case since about August 1991

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

AC/DC, guns and roses are way more mainstream than Metallica.

Really? I don't think that's the case in 2018.

AC/DC, guns and roses are way more mainstream than Metallica. At a push people not into them would of heard enter sandman and NEM. Aviva is about the biggest they could fill, Croke Park zero chance.

All mainstream bands, listing bands that appear bigger not sure what that proves.

Not sure the knowledge of people not into them is relevant either I mean I could name 2 songs of Kanye West at a push but I'm hardly gonna go see the mug live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

AC/DC are a bigger draw for the regular Joe or Josephine on the street, as are Guns and Roses. Metallica have crossover appeal of course, but not to the same extent as those two. The may have a few radio friendlier tunes but the majority of their back catalogue would still be too heavy for most casual music fans. People who wouldn't go to a hard rock or, god forbid, an actual metal concert in a million years would still probably travel to see AC/DC or Guns and Roses play in a field, Metallica would be a much harder sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Arghus wrote: »
    AC/DC are a bigger draw for the regular Joe or Josephine on the street, as are Guns and Roses. Metallica have crossover appeal of course, but not to the same extent as those two. The may have a few radio friendlier tunes but the majority of their back catalogue would still be too heavy for most casual music fans. People who wouldn't go to a hard rock or, god forbid, an actual metal concert in a million years would still probably travel to see AC/DC or Guns and Roses play in a field, Metallica would be a much harder sell.

Exactly my point

• Advertisement

Exactly my point

You taking the bet too then? ;)

I know albums aren't the seller they used be but even so AC/DCs last didn't make top 5 here Metallica hit top spot hmmm.

Personally, I don't think Metallica will be hard sell for MCD next summer, whatever stadium in Dublin they play. In fact I think a lot of people are going to be surprised about how popular Metallica actually are! I think Metallica coming to Dublin in 2019 will be a BIG event...

Okon wrote: »
    In fact I think a lot of people are going to be surprised about how popular Metallica actually are! I think Metallica coming to Dublin in 2019 2003 will be a BIG event...

Probably more accurate.

Probably more accurate.

I dunno... I think they'll sell more tickets than they did in 2003. As I said, I think some people will be surprised.

2003 was only four years after their previous Dublin gig at The Point in 1999, next year will be ten years after Marlay Park in the summer of 2009. I think there will be big demand.

We'll see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Arghus wrote: »
    Exactly my point
    Personally, I don't think Metallica will be hard sell for MCD next summer, whatever stadium in Dublin they play. In fact I think a lot of people are going to be surprised about how popular Metallica actually are! I think Metallica coming to Dublin in 2019 will be a BIG event...

I think there's a middle ground here tbh. AC/DC and Guns n Roses certainly get more radio play and alot more mentions in the media but Metallica are huge in this country considering the population.

For a metal band with little radio play to get 35000 people to their last gig (3*3Arena roughly?) is pretty impressive and considering its been 10 years since they've been here i think with decent support 50k+ could be a target.

Just think that talk of Croker or Slane is a bit ambitious but as someone said Slane at 60000 is probably a success in a promoter's eyes and Metallica are probably not miles away from that particular figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Their website is being revamped this weekend.
    It’s time for a face-lift for Metallica.com! We’ve been quietly working behind the scenes to make your Metallica.com experience smoother, more exciting, and improved all-around, and it’s almost time to unveil the new site. What does that mean for you? We’ll be “under construction” for this upcoming weekend starting the morning of Friday, August 24th, so we will not be able to accept new Fifth Member sign-ups, changes to your profile, or orders in the Met Store. But never fear... we’ll be back, bigger and better than ever on Monday, August 27th.

Come check out the new and improved Metallica.com next week as we’ll be launching with several major announcements, new products and sales, and gearing you up for the return of the WorldWired tour in North America, kicking off on September 2nd in Madison, WI. See you then!

As to "launching with several major announcements", ...And Justice For All remastered? European Tour announcement?
    New album (okay that might be a bit of stretch considering they are still touring Hardwired)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

So the new site is up. Personally I think it didn't need to be done, I liked the way the last website looked and it seems like only yesterday they did it.

No major announcements yet on Europe for next year, but I guess it might come in September like Lars said in May and not a second before.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    So the new site is up. Personally I think it didn't need to be done, I liked the way the last website looked and it seems like only yesterday they did it.

Well, it was three years ago but that is fairly recent.

New watches in the shop and a free download of some live tracks from the last European tour for Fifth Members are today's appetizers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Well, it was three years ago but that is fairly recent.

New watches in the shop and a free download of some live tracks from the last European tour for Fifth Members are today's appetizers.

Was it 3 years? Had it in mind it wasn't long before Hardwired came out, the site still looked pretty fresh to me, and the site before that was up for yonks, that one was due a change for sure.

Saw the new watches, they look nice, I like the Puppets Cross one, but $500? I think I'll pass. Some seriously pricey s**t on the site now, only thing I do buy on the site is t-shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,870 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Slane

Metallica/Judas Priest and Ghost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Slane

Who ? What? Where ??

:eek:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Slane

I assume this is wishful thinking but I'd sell my left testicle to get to that if it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Slane

Source???

Ghost???
    C0ck rock !! Okay riffs, but the echoey (?) autotune sounding vocals are terrible.
    1 singer trying to sound like the twin vocals of Alice in Chains !!

Have we seen a rock band wearing masks before ? And a sax solo ??!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBpniZbO9_w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Pope on sax have made my day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,870 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Greg81 wrote: »
    Source???

Guys on metal Ireland are strongly rumouring it

Happy with lineup but not venue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Guys on metal Ireland are strongly rumouring it

Happy with lineup but not venue

I'd call BS on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Not even the original line up of GnR could entice me to Slane. **** that.

Pelvis wrote: »
    Not even the original line up of GnR could entice me to Slane. **** that.

well it enticed 70,000+ in 1992
    and 65,000+ in 2017 so ......

Slane is better than the sh1tehole of Marlay pk !!
    I think Malahide Castle was be excellent !

(not going if that 'band' of masks are playing tho !! WTF !?!?! ) :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Surely there are better bands than Ghost.

Wouldn't mind seeing them bring Power Trip out with them.

Advertisement