Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nothing wrong with Ghost imo. Ignore the gimmicks and they have some great songs.

But that’s for another thread. I’m not going to get too excited about a possible gig because some people on a different forum heard some rumors. That’s serious ‘man down the pub’ stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Nothing wrong with Ghost imo. Ignore the gimmicks and they have some great songs.

But that’s for another thread. I’m not going to get too excited about a possible gig because some people on a different forum heard some rumors. That’s serious ‘man down the pub’ stuff.

Yep, a lad in the Slane thread heard "For definite" that Metallica were playing next year.....

:rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Hopefully some announcement will be forthcoming on Monday to put an end to the speculation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,150 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

greenspurs wrote: »
    well it enticed 70,000+ in 1992
    and 65,000+ in 2017 so ......

Slane is better than the sh1tehole of Marlay pk !!
    I think Malahide Castle was be excellent !

(not going if that 'band' of masks are playing tho !! WTF !?!?! ) :eek:

1992 was less than 50000 i'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ghost???
    C0ck rock !! Okay riffs, but the echoey (?) autotune sounding vocals are terrible.
    1 singer trying to sound like the twin vocals of Alice in Chains !!

Have we seen a rock band wearing masks before ? And a sax solo ??!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBpniZbO9_w

Actually it's a backing vocalist so there is 2 singers ;) ...well for live shows,he's a dude that bangs a tambourine too your amateur recording link just thought he wasn't important enough to bring into focus and tbh he's probably not. You quite clearly don't seem to grasp what autotune is or Alice in Chains for that matter either btw.

• Advertisement

Actually it's a backing vocalist so there is 2 singers ;) ...well for live shows,he's a dude that bangs a tambourine too your amateur recording link just thought he wasn't important enough to bring into focus and tbh he's probably not. You quite clearly don't seem to grasp what autotune is or Alice in Chains for that matter either btw.

So I haven't a clue then ?? :rolleyes:

I don't like the "Bells & Whistles" approach.....
    But Jaysus, this is some version !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCFwY6ISEMs

So I haven't a clue then ?? :rolleyes:

I don't like the "Bells & Whistles" approach.....
    But Jaysus, this is some version !!!!

Well the words you put down seemed to suggest so, autotune fine tunes off pitch vocals and sounds nothing like whats going on in vid posted maybe you were alluding to tracks being used I gather rather than the presence of someone else doing back up vocals. The other part is opinion based despite them supporting Alice in Chains few years ago I don't draw much comparison musically fair enough if you do actually.

The bells and whistles approach seems well in more than ever bands are constantly trying to adapt to sell the visual aspects of their live show which some might see before hear the music these days but tbf it's always been there whether it's costumes,props,pyro,imagery could be describing Iron Maiden with those even.

Well the words you put down seemed to suggest so, autotune fine tunes off pitch vocals and sounds nothing like whats going on in vid posted maybe you were alluding to tracks being used I gather rather than the presence of someone else doing back up vocals. The other part is opinion based despite them supporting Alice in Chains few years ago I don't draw much comparison musically fair enough if you do actually.

The bells and whistles approach seems well in more than ever bands are constantly trying to adapt to sell the visual aspects of their live show which some might see before hear the music these days but tbf it's always been there whether it's costumes,props,pyro,imagery could be describing Iron Maiden with those even.

Who are you ? Dave fcuking Fanning ??!
    Cop on.

Who are you ? Dave fcuking Fanning ??!
    Cop on.

Ya you got me I'm actually Dave Fanning!! :pac:

I seem to have struck a nerve you should probably step back from public forums, if you're not open to interaction why bother posting in the first place?

Suggestion block me or report my post that triggered you but you can certainly take your cop on remark and shove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

• Advertisement

Ya you got me I'm actually Dave Fanning!! :pac:

I seem to have struck a nerve you should probably step back from public forums, if you're not open to interaction why bother posting in the first place?

Suggestion block me or report my post that triggered you but you can certainly take your cop on remark and shove it.

Self righteous , "i knowit all" bullsh1t usually triggers my "STFU Nerve" ...
    I'm all for interaction, but I don't accept Music Guru's and their opinions being used to try belittle my opinions.

Oh and you know what you can do with your suggestion.....

Last word.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Greg81 wrote: »

So they've announced watches and their own brand of whiskey so far.. Probably busy rehearsing to announce what we're all really waiting for....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Greg81 wrote: »

Surprised that James would put his name to that, considering his alcohol problems in the past. The $$$ comes first at Metallica HQ these days :(

Self righteous , "i knowit all" bullsh1t usually triggers my "STFU Nerve" ...
    I'm all for interaction, but I don't accept Music Guru's and their opinions being used to try belittle my opinions.

How very strange...

This to me is a question of sorts hence you opting for a question mark
    but the echoey (?) autotune sounding vocals are terrible.
    So I responded whilst explaining what autotune actually is that wasn't belittling your opinion your statement was false.

I then did say you were entitled to your opinion that Ghost are trying to sound like AIC however I don't agree,Music Guru that's a nice compliment at the end of the day I suppose. Sound.

Regards,
    Dave F.

How very strange...

This to me is a question of sorts hence you opting for a question mark So I responded whilst explaining what autotune actually is that wasn't belittling your opinion your statement was false.

I then did say you were entitled to your opinion that Ghost are trying to sound like AIC however I don't agree,Music Guru that's a nice compliment at the end of the day I suppose. Sound.

Regards,
    Dave F.

Now you are like matt cooper - The Last Word ?

I don't care -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If it finally gets Ghost here, then good!

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Surprised that James would put his name to that, considering his alcohol problems in the past. The $$$ comes first at Metallica HQ these days :(

Exactly !....

Does the money come before the music now ? :confused:

I suppose they aren't the first band to try flog their fans though, nor will they be the last :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,868 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

greenspurs wrote:
    Does the money come before the music now ?

I think this is a lot more complicated than the economics of it, they come from a generation of fan memorabilia, kiss comes to mind, but the world is changing, particularly the music industry, fans have a different perception of 'value', they'd wanna be careful here, for an act, whereby they believe helps inclusiveness, may in fact cause resentment and anger, thus having the opposite desired effect

People aren’t buying music any more and the income from streaming is pretty poor so bands are trying to make money from other avenues.

That’s why you see all these paid meet and greets and VIP packages at gigs and bands going off in all sorts or directions when it comes to merchandise.

Mushy wrote: »
    If it finally gets Ghost here, then good!

Yeah I’d be on for that.

Don’t see the AIC comparison myself either for what it’s worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

People aren’t buying music any more and the income from streaming is pretty poor so bands are trying to make money from other avenues.

That’s why you see all these paid meet and greets and VIP packages at gigs and bands going off in all sorts or directions when it comes to merchandise.

Those meet and greets sound good in theory but come across so awkwardly when you see the footage of them. I mean, it’s very cool to meet the guys but it comes across as so cold and transactional:

“give me 2k and I’ll allow you to spend 180 seconds in close proximity to me. I also agree to write my name on no more than two of your personal items. We can also engage in up to 60 seconds of awkward conversation”.

Jayesdiem wrote:
    “give me 2k and I’ll allow you to spend 180 seconds in close proximity to me. I also agree to write my name on no more than two of your personal items. We can also engage in up to 60 seconds of awkward conversationâ€.

You can understand why hetfield doesn't do them anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,870 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would Lord Mountcharles and all the suits in the vip section not all look shocked when they see an odd looking band like Ghost on stage ???

It would be prob be even worse in Croke Park but be kind of ironic though ha

PTH2009 wrote:
    Would Lord Mountcharles and all the suits in the vip section not all look shocked when they see an odd looking band like Ghost on stage ???

I'm sure they're well used to and have been well entertained by past slane entertainers, bands such as ghost wouldn't surprise them a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

housemap wrote: »
    Nevar forget the napster debacle, huge thumbs down to this 'band'

I had stopped buying any Metallica merchandise and stopped following their music after Lars Ulrich had used the power of the legal system to fight Napster's users who shared Metallica's music. To do this to Metallica's own fans was extremely stupid and very rude.

"METALLICA representatives compiled the more than 60,000-page list of 335,435 Napster user IDs over one weekend in response to Napster's promise to terminate the accounts of users who trade material without permission... I [Lars Ulrich] showed up at Napster and started pulling 335,000 names out of a pickup truck. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,150 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

victor8600 wrote: »
    I had stopped buying any Metallica merchandise and stopped following their music after Lars Ulrich had used the power of the legal system to fight Napster's users who shared Metallica's music. To do this to Metallica's own fans was extremely stupid and very rude.

"METALLICA representatives compiled the more than 60,000-page list of 335,435 Napster user IDs over one weekend in response to Napster's promise to terminate the accounts of users who trade material without permission... I [Lars Ulrich] showed up at Napster and started pulling 335,000 names out of a pickup truck. "
    That's great

victor8600 wrote:

At the time I was pissed over this, but now I understand why they did it. I do think they were right to do this, but probably went about it arseways, there was elements of arrogance, ignorance and naivety from the Metallica camp, particularly lars, during this process, but I think he realised that the fundamental business model of the music industry in its entirety was under treat due to this technology, and I think he was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Lars was easily the worst possible spokesperson for the anti-napster movement. A more punchable human being you would struggle to find. He really was completely up his own arse back then.

Funnily enough the backlash from that debacle seemed to have finally instill some degree of humility into him. Not nearly as obnoxious as he used to be.

NEWSFLASH -

Another Boardsie has confirmed that Metallica have been confirmed for Slane '19 ...........

Yep.....

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote:
    Another Boardsie has confirmed that Metallica have been confirmed for Slane '19 ...........

Anything official on that?

Advertisement