Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,868 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Majority of outdoor venues are ****e in Ireland, I may consider going to Europe to see them indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭glucifer

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Majority of outdoor venues are ****e in Ireland, I may consider going to Europe to see them indoors

It's a stadium tour

glucifer wrote:
    It's a stadium tour

That sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

That sucks

They rarely do indoor gigs now tbh.

Didn't they do a few on the most recent? Some of the shows looked incredible, they're playing well to, considering their ages

• Advertisement

Didn't they do a few on the most recent? Some of the shows looked incredible, they're playing well to, considering their ages

Ya they did an arena tour, saw an in London and it was immense. Only seen em indoors 4 times; Dublin 96 & 99, Belfast 2010 and London 2017. Seen them countless times outdoors... indoors is miles better but the likelihood of getting an indoor show in Ireland in the next 5 years is precisely zilch

glucifer wrote:
    Ya they did an arena tour, saw an in London and it was immense. Only seen em indoors 4 times; Dublin 96 & 99, Belfast 2010 and London 2017. Seen them countless times outdoors... indoors is miles better but the likelihood of getting an indoor show in Ireland in the next 5 years is precisely zilch

Yea I've realised this myself, it's a pity, those point gigs were incredible, earls court gigs were pretty good to, whenever the hell they were

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Their last European Tour - which only finished in May - was all indoor arenas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,870 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Okon wrote: »

And the previous euro legs were indoors. Saw them on the UK run in Glasgow and It was immense

Hopefully the Irish date is announced soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

The US tour they've just started is also indoors :D

• Advertisement

nice touch, all concert goers to their north american tour will be able to download the audio of the show afterwards for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

nice touch, all concert goers to their north american tour will be able to download the audio of the show afterwards for free

Nice touch indeed, I wish more bands did this sort of thing.

They haven't played indoors here since 99

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Don't the Grateful Dead do something like this as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

They haven't played indoors here since 99

I suppose I'd be ruffling feathers politically if I counted the gig at the Odyssey Arena in Belfast in May 2010 as 'here' would I? :)

I suppose I'd be ruffling feathers politically if I counted the gig at the Odyssey Arena in Belfast in May 2010 as 'here' would I? :)

Yup!!! :-)

Lithium93_ wrote:
    Don't the Grateful Dead do something like this as well?

Unsure of that, but I guess a quick Google would solve this mystery

Ya I got a "free" copy of the HWTSD when I paid €120 to see them in London. Sound. Keeps their album sales looking good I guess. Extortionate price for a concert ticket

glucifer wrote:
    Ya I got a "free" copy of the HWTSD when I paid €120 to see them in London. Sound. Keeps their album sales looking good I guess. Extortionate price for a concert ticket

Yea I seen those prices as we were considering going, must cost a fortune to run such a tour though

Yea I seen those prices as we were considering going, must cost a fortune to run such a tour though

Certainly, but they've tripled their ticket price

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-manager-explains-how-band-tripled-ticket-prices/

I'll sound like Grampa Simpson now but I saw them in 1996 and the ticket cost £20

• Advertisement

glucifer wrote:
    I'll sound like Grampa Simpson now but I saw them in 1996 and the ticket cost £20

Was that the point gig? My ticket stub has faded, can't read it. I think we overly blame artists for rising ticket prices, as I suspect, all costs of running shows have steadily risen over the years, but blaming the artists is tangible, blaming the systems that create the show is not, a lot more to it I suspect, I'd really love to hear from accountants from within the industry to see what's going on

glucifer wrote: »

£15.50 for the Point show in '92.

The SFX/Top Hat shows in the '80s were probably under a tenner.

Was that the point gig? My ticket stub has faded, can't read it. I think we overly blame artists for rising ticket prices, as I suspect, all costs of running shows have steadily risen over the years, but blaming the artists is tangible, blaming the systems that create the show is not, a lot more to it I suspect, I'd really love to hear from accountants from within the industry to see what's going on

You have it right here from one of their managers "We realized the top price for a METALLICA ticket could be much higher than it used to be, and we charged it — and there was no audience pushback on it... The ticket price thing has changed everything."

There ya go, nothing about the rising costs of touring etc, they realised they could charge more and they did.

The rise in ticket prices has coincided with the decline in album sales.

In the old days, tickets were cheap as tours were primarily to promote an album and album sales usually went up on the back of a tour. As no one buys music anymore, it's now the opposite where the tour itself is where bands get their money from.

And I suppose, the production costs have had to increase as bands put on better shows to attract ticket sales.

glucifer wrote:
    There ya go, nothing about the rising costs of touring etc, they realised they could charge more and they did.

The rise in ticket prices has coincided with the decline in album sales.

I suspect this is a lot more complicated than we think, I'd love to chat to the money people, they can tell a lot, I'd say the cost of things such as insurance has shot off as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,870 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Reading up on Ghost so it's bacisally a solo project with the singer changing identities every album. So if they do play Slane we won't get any of the old songs. The 1st and 2nd popes looked way cooler

Hope for an announcement tomorrow but not hopeful as very little leaks have come out the last few days

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Reading up on Ghost so it's bacisally a solo project with the singer changing identities every album. So if they do play Slane we won't get any of the old songs. The 1st and 2nd popes looked way cooler

They still play older songs. Year Zero and Monstrance Clock are still in the set regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

glucifer wrote: »

Saw them in London myself was actually the least memorable of the times I've seen them surprisingly given all the others were outdoors, granted I wasn't in the thick of it found out they were playing exact time I would be there bout 2 months in advance so only managed to grab a middleish tier seated ticket (don't know how the higher ups coped :eek:) the latest album wasn't very good despite it being better than the 2 that preceded it so even if they did debut 'Spit out the Bone' knowing you were robbed of 'Blackened' was a bit of an oh well from me, Saw much better shows around that period last year too that weren't as pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

There's no real indication of an announcement tomorrow is there? Or is it normally kept that much under wraps?

I seem to remember Slane gigs and knowing there was an announcement coming up for it, doesn't seem that way now

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    There's no real indication of an announcement tomorrow is there? Or is it normally kept that much under wraps?

I seem to remember Slane gigs and knowing there was an announcement coming up for it, doesn't seem that way now

probably wont be an announcement, and cant see the tallica headlining either, i think the internets is having another one of those over excitement rumor attacks, but of course i may stand completely corrected tomorrow

Advertisement