Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I wish for a change that NEM and Sandman weren’t either the last 2 songs of the night or the last 2 before the encore.

They’re going to play them, we know that. But throw them in at song 6 or something and separate them.

SOTB should be the show closer.

In a way, i'm glad they changed from Seek as show closer - how many years on the trot was that the last song? I'd nearly always take it as queue to start moving towards the exits.

Sandman isn't a great song for show closer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Ah, the Metallica setlist. Everyone has their own favourites, but ffs they could do so much better than that.

I know they did the tour where the fans voted and it was pretty much the same set, but would love to see them shake it up a bit. Drop some of the overplayed songs and put in something else off the same album.

ozzy jr wrote: »
    Ah, the Metallica setlist. Everyone has their own favourites, but ffs they could do so much better than that.

I know they did the tour where the fans voted and it was pretty much the same set, but would love to see them shake it up a bit. Drop some of the overplayed songs and put in something else off the same album.

Have the exclusively dropped all the St. Anger stuff? I'd still have a soft spot for Frantic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

I just looked at setlist from my 1st Metallica gig in Poland 2004.

The Ecstasy of Gold
    (Ennio Morricone song)

Blackened

Fuel

The Four Horsemen

Fade to Black

Frantic

King Nothing
    (w/ The Outlaw Torn jam)

No Leaf Clover
    (First time played live in Europe since November 19, 1999)

St. Anger

Sad but True

Creeping Death

Battery

Encore:
    Wherever I May Roam

Nothing Else Matters

Master of Puppets

'Full Metal Jacket' Clip

One

Enter Sandman

Encore 2:
    Dyers Eve
    (First time played live in Europe)

Seek & Destroy
    (w/ Let There Be Rock outro)

I would be happy to hear that again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    SOTB should be the show closer.

In a way, i'm glad they changed from Seek as show closer - how many years on the trot was that the last song? I'd nearly always take it as queue to start moving towards the exits.

Sandman isn't a great song for show closer

Seek had been the show closer from the Madly In Anger With The World Tour up until the By Request run they did a few years ago. So a good 11 years as show closer. Also the bands 3rd most played song..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

My First Metallica show - Point Depot , Oct 30 1992 (one of my mates got one of James guitar plecks, but it disappeared on him)

The Ecstasy of Gold

Enter Sandman
    Creeping Death
    Harvester of Sorrow
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    Sad but True
    Wherever I May Roam
    Bass Solo
    Through the Never
    The Unforgiven
    Justice Medley
    Guitar Solo
    Nothing Else Matters
    For Whom the Bell Tolls
    Fade to Black
    Master of Puppets
    (Short Version)
    Seek & Destroy
    (Extended Version)
    Whiplash

Encore:
    One
    Last Caress
    Am I Evil?
    (half)
    Battery

Encore 2:
    Stone Cold Crazy

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Never liked the medleys. And the bass/guitar solos were too long in those days. Great gig otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Never liked the medleys. And the bass/guitar solos were too long in those days. Great gig otherwise!

Or "guitar Doodles" as they like to call em ! :)

That was the " in the round " set up - great gig

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Have the exclusively dropped all the St. Anger stuff? I'd still have a soft spot for Frantic

I'd rather listen to it live than the record anyway, with real drums, not pots and pans.

They just seem to have completed disregarded it. Probably a bit embarrassed with that whole era, some kind of monster doc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

which james was better Drunk or sober/clean ???

Lars still drinks/takes drugs, not sure about Kirk and rob

Jason enjoyed the liftstyle no doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I personally would love a St Anger song thrown in there with the list, always liked Sweet Amber off that album.

Also I'd gladly love to see Sad But True off the setlist occasionally and put in The God That Failed instead, it's a very underrated song from the Black album that doesn't get played very much. I don't know I'm just tired of Sad but True at every show.

Love when they open with Blackened, but I wish Hetfield would stop using that Gibson V for the song, he has used it in a lot of performances of it in recent years and it sounds like s**t on any footage I see where he's playing that song with that guitar. Wish he'd use the Explorer or the Iron Cross.

Also tonight they are playing Minneapolis, bet the doodle tonight will be a Prince song!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

PTH2009 wrote: »
    which james was better Drunk or sober/clean ???

Lars still drinks/takes drugs, not sure about Kirk and rob

Jason enjoyed the liftstyle no doubt

Think James was more out of his shell and wild and made him the better frontman back in the good old days, but he got married and had kids, that was hardly going to wash forever. He's domesticated now, still has his good moments onstage, except with the "Metallica family" stuff he spouts on stage (cringe)

Lars I believe doesn't take drugs anymore, and gave up cocaine in 2008, apparently one of the Gallaghers from Oasis inspired him to give it up. I'd imagine he still likes a drink, think I remember reading in an interview, he doesn't binge anymore, likes a few glasses of wine and that's it and I think a shot of tequilla during perfomances. No idea really about Jason, I hear he liked a joint now and then, a bit like Cliff.

I think most of James' in-concert banter has always been scripted, we're just more aware of it now as everyone has camera phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Greg81 wrote: »
    I just looked at setlist from my 1st Metallica gig in Poland 2004.

RDS that year almost identical Dyers Eve & Four Horsemen out...we got Holier Than Thou and Whiskey instead. :)

Really hoping to see soon they've cut back on the Hardwired stuff, it's mad how they really fancy it although they did the same with Death Magnetic, St Anger wasn't an album tour at all looking back only playing 2 songs consistently no prizes for what they were, someone mentioned Sweet Amber only played once ever, Some Kind of Monster a single even albeit a bad one just 3 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The tour where fans voted, when you bought tickets you voted, Lars said that initially during the FC sale the setlist was crazy, full of rarities, then it went on general sale and the NEM, Sandmen brigade turned up

Used to love it when they mixxed up the setlist, favourite ever opener for me was in Manchester on the Black tour, opened with Wherever i May Roam. Damn that GMEX was a sexy venue, an old train station i believe, closed for gigs now though

First MetOnTour video from Wisconsin.

No Leaf Clover
    made a return to the set list last night.

Just wondering whats the latest from all the "in the know" sources and contacts. It's all gone a bit quiet since the Ozzy/Priest announcement.

Is it still Slane on June 8th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Haaaaaaaa

I think most of James' in-concert banter has always been scripted, we're just more aware of it now as everyone has camera phones.

Very much this. Even down to the YEAHS in songs, he does them at the same place every time.

• Advertisement

Very much this. Even down to the YEAHS in songs, he does them at the same place every time.

I'd take it over Robs "Can I get a huhhhhhhhhhh" :mad:

Does my head in that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,150 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Think James was more out of his shell and wild and made him the better frontman back in the good old days, but he got married and had kids, that was hardly going to wash forever. He's domesticated now, still has his good moments onstage, except with the "Metallica family" stuff he spouts on stage (cringe)

Lars I believe doesn't take drugs anymore, and gave up cocaine in 2008, apparently one of the Gallaghers from Oasis inspired him to give it up. I'd imagine he still likes a drink, think I remember reading in an interview, he doesn't binge anymore, likes a few glasses of wine and that's it and I think a shot of tequilla during perfomances. No idea really about Jason, I hear he liked a joint now and then, a bit like Cliff.

James was very much in his shell back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,870 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

James was very much in his shell back in the day.

hes a much happier human being nowadays, you can see him trapped in old footage, kinna sad actually

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Just wondering whats the latest from all the "in the know" sources and contacts. Is it still Slane on June 8th?

The AJFA Remastered box set announcement will be before the European Stadium Tour announcement... and that should be tomorrow if not later today. (Assuming it's done to tie-in with the 30th anniversary of AJFA's release.)

FWIW, I still think it'll be a proper stadium gig when it is announced. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed Slane is just random nonsense.

Okon wrote: »
    The AJFA Remastered box set announcement will be before the European Stadium Tour announcement... and that should be tomorrow if not later today. (Assuming it's done to tie-in with the 30th anniversary of AJFA's release.)

FWIW, I still think it'll be a proper stadium gig when it is announced. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed Slane is just random nonsense.

:confused: Didn't ...And Justice For All have it's 30th anniversary 2 weeks ago?

zcorpian88 wrote: »

Also tonight they are playing Minneapolis, bet the doodle tonight will be a Prince song!

Bingo!

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    :confused: Didn't ...And Justice For All have it's 30th anniversary 2 weeks ago?

No! (They say Wikipedia is wrong.)

Okon wrote: »
    No! (They say Wikipedia is wrong.)

Huh, I genuinely didn't know that, I always assumed the album was released in August 1988.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭glucifer

Leaked pic of the Justice boxset

• Advertisement

Wonder what doodle this is... :D

40200410_244963302888435_723127273049309864_n.jpg

Advertisement