Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

rob316 wrote: »
    I'll never remove the image from my head of Lars and Mustaine crying together.

I've really gone down the wormhole on Dave & Metallica since watching the Doc again. Really feel bad for the guy. He's right too, he was never given the opportunity of a 2nd chance. I wonder was it a case that the guys already had Hammett lined up on the QT or at least had their eye on him. Plus, that's a hell of a lot of personality in one band - him & James, there could only be room for one ultra alpha personality. Kirk, on the other hand, is so easy going, seems to be the total opposite of Dave personality wise.

Had he stayed, I don't believe Metallica would sound anything like they do, and potentially wouldn't have been as successful.

I think it took huge balls for Dave to play with the band on their 30th-anniversary show. After all that had gone down (I know the Big 4 happened also, but that wasn't the same). Imagine how he must have felt though, having to get back up there, playing those old songs.

Another thing, I seen recent comments where James called him a big mouth etc, in relation to Mustaine talking about possibly recording or collaborating with Metallica. He almost took it back in the same breath, but this led to Dave apologizing profusely in a recorded interview later, saying he loves James etc.

I think Het harbours resentment for Dave, and tries to cover it up, but let's his mask slip a little too. Like at the 30th shows, when he introduced Mustaine to the stage, he didn't come across all to genuine. Even Kirk seemed more genuine, and i can only imagine how he feels, given all Mustaine has said about him in the past (how do I taste Kirk?)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Fan filmed footage of Eye Of The Beholder posted on the band's YouTube.. Along with this from their Twitter
    For the next nine weeks, we’re going to celebrate #30YearsOfJustice with a live video of each song from the record. Let’s kick this thing off with “Eye of the Beholder” shot live on a camcorder at the Cow Palace in San Francisco on December 10, 1988.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,150 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    I thought it was a great documentary, a very hard watch though, must have been agony wondering if James was ever coming back to the band.

Apparently though the Lars and Dave meeting had a chunk of footage edited out where Lars was in tears, over Dave's issues and everything he had to deal with in his head after being fired, I also know that when that footage was shot it was 2 days after 9/11 and there was a certain amount of tension in the room over that and it was also Dave Mustaine's 40th birthday the same day, I'd imagine it was the last place Dave wanted to be after that atrocity happening.

There's a great podcast (if you're willing to put up with a bit of chris jericho) on jericos show with Ron Mcgovney and his perspective of the early days fills in a lot of blanks because he was the grounded one between massive multi million dollar egos.
    No doubt dave had to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

sugarman wrote: »
    Skom is an attrociously staged documentary in parts, their scripting and 'acting' is like something out of WWF! I don't believe it was intended to be, but there was definitely a lot playing up to the camera and almost certainly scenes told to be reshot/re-enacted by directors/crew.

I laughed at it .... :D
    Just another money making exercise by the once great bastions of rock...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It’s been years since I watched it so maybe I’d feel differently if I watched it now but at the time I thought they were like little spoilt children with their little tantrums when they didn’t get their own way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,870 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sugarman wrote:
    Skom is an attrociously staged documentary in parts, their scripting and 'acting' is like something out of WWF! I don't believe it was intended to be, but there was definitely a lot playing up to the camera and almost certainly scenes told to be reshot/re-enacted by directors/crew.

What makes you think that?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What makes you think that?

The staged interviews and set up scenes.

The staged interviews and set up scenes.

Which ones would they be?

Which ones would they be?

Lars saying foooooooock would be an obvious one

Lars saying foooooooock would be an obvious one

Not in my eyes, but who knows, the extended version of that scene is interesting, apparently that confrontation went on for hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Not in my eyes, but who knows, the extended version of that scene is interesting, apparently that confrontation went on for hours

Imagine having to listen to that little príck ranting on for hours. I thought James showed a lot of poise. Many others would have at least grabbed him by the throat when he roared FUUUUUUUUUUCK directly into his face

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I've really gone down the wormhole on Dave & Metallica since watching the Doc again. Really feel bad for the guy. He's right too, he was never given the opportunity of a 2nd chance. I wonder was it a case that the guys already had Hammett lined up on the QT or at least had their eye on him. Plus, that's a hell of a lot of personality in one band - him & James, there could only be room for one ultra alpha personality. Kirk, on the other hand, is so easy going, seems to be the total opposite of Dave personality wise.

Had he stayed, I don't believe Metallica would sound anything like they do, and potentially wouldn't have been as successful.

I think it took huge balls for Dave to play with the band on their 30th-anniversary show. After all that had gone down (I know the Big 4 happened also, but that wasn't the same). Imagine how he must have felt though, having to get back up there, playing those old songs.

I think Dave being fired was a long time coming though, like he was fired firstly after the Dave's dog/Ron McGovney's car argument where James got a punch in the face for kicking Dave Mustaine's dog after scratching Ron's car. There was probably more heated exchanges after that which weren't mentioned. Then I heard another story in an older interview where Metallica were on their way to New York to record Kill Em All, and they were all in like a rest stop in a restaurant getting food and Dave went psycho at some people in this restaurant and started a big fight, I think that instigated his ousting from the band, he was his own worst enemy in those days and he probably would have brought the whole band down if he had stayed.

I'm glad the hatchet's been buried between them though. Dave had a rough ride through his career, think the firing and watching Metallica's success go to the moon escalated his drug use, must have been hard even if Megadeth had decent enough success, he did feel like he couldn't enjoy his own success as much because people gave him s**t for getting the boot. Think it was just meant to be. They'd have been over by the end of the 80's if Dave had stayed, they might not have took off of Dave would have OD'd on something, anything could have happened.

Another one from the Justice Remaster, man I love the energy they had in the Justice performances.

Somebody left a flanger on during the song though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Sziget apparently announcing first headliner next week, could be them. Didn't think would fit in as thought was all stadiums but never know

Kirk fell on his face during a show in South Dakota a few nights ago, and Lars took the piss out of him then once the song finished haha

Lady Justice Funko being released next month, available for pre-order..

https://twitter.com/Metallica/status/1040691898049093633

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Lady Justice Funko being released next month, available for pre-order..

https://twitter.com/Metallica/status/1040691898049093633

Looks cool, but I don't like those Pop Vinyl things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

$ that's all they're about now.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

$ that's all they're about now.......

And the Tallica Family Tallica Family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Metallica - Avenged Sevenfold - Slash - Alice in chains-  Royal Blood
    My prediction for Slane next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

PTH2009 wrote: »
    And the Tallica Family Tallica Family

yeaaaaaah!!

D.Q wrote: »

I actually wouldn't mind that. Just put Slash ahead of Avenged..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Be a good day out! Food and pints during Avenged then get nice spot on the hill.

Although Royal Blood wouldn't be that low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mushy wrote: »

Although Royal Blood wouldn't be that low

Exactly they were main support to GnR there just last year.

Harvester from Donington 1991.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

If anyone has the three big box sets - is there a download card for the vinyl only content?

Here we go again...................... :rolleyes:

as Whitesnake once said . :)

There will be news ? ....... .

A tweet by a MCD promoter 'hinted' at it .
    I tweeted asking about Met coming to Ireland... he replied 'Stay tuned' ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

greenspurs wrote: »
    There will be news ? ....... .

A tweet by a MCD promoter 'hinted' at it .
    I tweeted asking about Met coming to Ireland... he replied 'Stay tuned' ......

Good ol' Twatter

• Advertisement

Mark Kavanagh of The Star has tweeted.....

"2 huge open air Irish concerts for Summer 2019 are being announced in the next couple of weeks"

Advertisement