Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »
    Giants Stadium NJ is as near as you'll probably get,most likely an outdoor show in a stadium i'd say.

That would be pretty spectacular in it's own right

Do you reckon there would be an opener, like at Sonisphere, or would Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer take turns to kick things off at various dates...you'd never know the line up from night to night - except I can't see Metallica performing first or anything but last on any night lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

That would be pretty spectacular in it's own right

Do you reckon there would be an opener, like at Sonisphere, or would Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer take turns to kick things off at various dates...you'd never know the line up from night to night - except I can't see Metallica performing first or anything but last on any night lol

I'd say there'll be an opener(i'd love Machine Head myself but they're on hiatus atm) and then Anthrax,Megadeth,Slayer and Metallica in that order. Can't see the running order changing and in fairness the 4 bands seem cool with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

seachto7 wrote: »
    will Anthrax have a cardboard cut out as a singer this time?

More importantly wilol they ever get around to releasing the new album. I have a feeling that Belladonna is digging in his heels again behind the scenes.

When he first got back with Anthrax the same shyte happened with him refusing to be involved with releasing a new album. Then he left (again) and Dan Nelson came in. A full album was recorded with Nelson and just before it was to come out, Nelson was fired.

Then Bush came back for a few gigs, and got involved with rerecording some of the Nelson songs with the idea of being able to write some brand new songs with the band for the new album.

Then he got shafted ( for the second time) because Belladonna wanted back in (yet again, and one can only assume that the sound of a cash register was going off in his head as the Big Four rumours had started about that time) and was claiming he would be behind releasing a new album with the band.

Belladonna returned, toured with the band, and the new album that was due last year never happened. Then it came out that new songs were being recorded to release on the new album. Then in December Scott Ian came out and said that the new new album was pretty much done with 8 of the tracks full recorded and produced.

Since then there has been rumblings of yet another Belladonna influenced delay coming up.

Just wish that they had never shafted Bush and kept him in the band.

EDIT: For some reason I thought the post I replied to was in the Big Four thread. Maybe a mod can move the Anthrax stuff to that thread to avoid a "This is the Metallica thread" type spat. :D

Well I have to say that really and truly sucks for the US fans. The announcement today was short and sweet and couldn't have been more crushing for US Thrash Metal fans.
    Four of the heaviest bands of all time, share one stage for the one and only U.S. appearance, Saturday April 23rd 2011 - Empire Polo Club, Indio, CA

Surely a tour could have happened, launching just one date in one indoor club, absolutely stupid

Well I have to say that really and truly sucks for the US fans. The announcement today was short and sweet and couldn't have been more crushing for US Thrash Metal fans.

Surely a tour could have happened, launching just one date in one indoor club, absolutely stupid

It's an outdoor show,there'll be thousands of tickets. I reckon they're testing the waters to see if the demand is there for a Big 4 tour. The Rock/Metal market in the US is nowhere near as strong as Europe,they won't commit to a tour to play in front of half empty stadiums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I joined the Metclub today in a spur of the moment decision, now if only my browser would support all those exclusive videos =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I joined the Metclub today in a spur of the moment decision, now if only my browser would support all those exclusive videos =/

How much did that set you back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I joined it years ago but left a couple of years later. The only good thing about it was the magazine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

It cost €40 roughly ($60 Converted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

John Bush would have deserved a shot at the big four gig if he had not been shafted the first time around.
    As it is, I don't think Anthrax deserve a place on it. A reformed Suicidal Tendencies would rock it out in my opinion, with Rob T on bass \m/
    Testament would be a better option than Anthrax too..
    Anthrax seriously f**ked up on the promotion of WHCFYA. They built up a good bit of steam and press for it, and blew it. I wouldn't mind, it was a pretty decent album, and the live dvd was pretty awesome too.
    They must be counting themselves as seriously lucky to get on a Big 4 bill....

It probably should be Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament.

• Advertisement

John Bush would have deserved a shot at the big four gig if he had not been shafted the first time around.
    As it is, I don't think Anthrax deserve a place on it. A reformed Suicidal Tendencies would rock it out in my opinion, with Rob T on bass \m/
    Anthrax seriously f**ked up on the promotion of WHCFYA. They built up a good bit of steam and press for it, and blew it. I wouldn't mind, it was a pretty decent album, and the live dvd was pretty awesome too.

I think that Anthrax having a bit of history with Metallica has helped. When Metallica went to NY to record KEA they shared a rehearsal space with Anthrax and the the Anthrax boys helped them out with stuff(toasters,showering etc.). They've remained friends over the years,particularly with Scott Ian,so it was always likely that Anthrax get the nod. From my own point of view they deserve it but i'm a big fan of Anthrax so i would say that!

The way Testament have been on their albums and more impoetantly live over the last few years they would blow the other three away if they were on the bill.

As for Anthrax being on the bill with the other three, Anthrax can more than hold their own in a live enviroment with that trio, and if Bush was there in place of Belladonna there would be a good chance of them being the band of the night. I can only put Anthrax being underrated down to people not having seen them live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Not to drag the thread off topic, but my bias always was with the John Bush era of Anthrax.

Testament may be a better band than Anthrax and might be a more popular draw as this gig is being marketed as 'the big 4' and like it or not, back in '80's Anthrax were considered one of the big 4 and Testament weren't.

It wouldn't make any sense to call this gig '3 of the big 4 plus Testament who are better than Anthrax'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PierceNWT

I have all the albums and my favourite is Welcome Home.

Testament may be a better band than Anthrax and might be a more popular draw as this gig is being marketed as 'the big 4' and like it or not, back in '80's Anthrax were considered one of the big 4 and Testament weren't.

It wouldn't make any sense to call this gig '3 of the big 4 plus Testament who are better than Anthrax the other three live'.

FYP :p

I don't think there is any debate on Anthrax and their role in the original Big Four. I loved Anthrax in the 80's and 90'S with Belladonna, then Bush came in and showed how much better they could be. The only problem I have now is going back to Belladonna after having loved the Bush era.

Anthrax live, with Bush or Belladonna, are an excellent band who are probably still tighter in terms of sound than Megadeth and Metallica are live.

Metallica are the big draw on the bill, no doubt about that, but I reckon Anthrax will never play directly before Metallica if it becomes a US tour.

Them 2 videos are 4 minutes of pure awesomeness! Beavis & Butthead rule!:)

I preferred Beavis & Butthead videos where the song 'sucked'

I preferred Beavis & Butthead videos where the song 'sucked'

Butthead seems to hate Metallica and spends his time fighting with Beavis about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Lol, Beavis to me looks like Jason Newsted but with blonde hair. Is that a coincidence or is he actually modelled after Newsted.

Oh and I believe they're making a new series of Beavis and Butthead as well

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Lol, Beavis to me looks like Jason Newsted but with blonde hair. Is that a coincidence or is he actually modelled after Newsted.

Newsted was always referred to, during his time in Metallica, as a major fan of the band by MTV who had the best job in the world. I remember several interviews in which they'd ask Jason, from a fan point of view, how the bands sound had developed over time. They'd also constantly remind him almost that he was a fan of the band who had been plucked from relative obscurity on the metal scene to play with Metallica.
    Riddle101 wrote: »
    Oh and I believe they're making a new series of Beavis and Butthead as well

Yes! Yes!

This will be happening later this year, I don't believe there's a release schedule for the programmes as of yet, but they've been working on them for about 6 months now - hopefully they keep to the old style grainy type and don't just add in new graphics and effects (unless its part of a cliche sketch or something)

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/they_re_back_PZVN8lcKHQYVIYx3xAJRtM

I haven't put this with the super thread because it sort of covers musical development as opposed to Metallica as such (although it does make a good point about their attitude towards Jason). In any case, these are some files which follow the bass writing and development in Metallica from Cliff to Rob.

First, Master of Puppets, credited partly to Burton - this is his original bass track from that song (you can easily identify this) and you can hear his distinctive style of playing

Next, from the same album, Leper Messiah - drum and bass only - a song credited to just Hetfield and Ulrich. Notice the plain bass, which would have been written by James, aimed at keeping time with the guitar and the basic drum pattern. It's obvious from listening to this song that the strength of the composition lay in the vocals, lyric and guitar work.

Jump forward to 1988, and Jason gets a writing credit for Blackened, and you will realise how much this song was written from the bass perspective. You have to skip to 0.36 to hear the first notes, and then it kicks in again at 0.56 and you can clearly hear the detail and the songs basic structure in this piece

If we compare this to a song Jason recorded, but didn't write (again a bass piece James would have written for Jason to use) we can see that in the case of 'Sad But True' it's a very simple and plain piece of music just written to back up the guitar work that's already been done

again, compared to 'Where The Wild Things Are' (skip to 2.34) we can see the performance is a lot more involving

Finally, with Rob, we have a pretty good return to what Cliff was doing. The track 'All Nightmare Long' is a perfect example of where the bass almost leads the entire song and feels like a fundamental part of the instrument as opposed to just being there to give a deeper sound to the drumming and guitars

Another great example being the 'Day That Never Comes' - you might call it the only thing on Death Magnetic representing a ballad, which in itself means that there shouldn't be a lot for the bassist to do - and yet during the chorus this is one lead bass

Compared with Nothing Else Matters, Jason might have as well left the stage when this song was performed every night (skip to 1.05)...

Pretty much sums up why I never played for Metallica, they just don't respect the bass.*

I do think that an awful lot of their music, even some of the great stuff they have done, could have sounded a hell of a lot better if they let Jason play with the freedom he had when he was with Flotsam and Jetsam. I loved how he sounded live on the Doomsday for the Deceiver tour.

Even with Rob, I feel they are not taking advantage of his abilities and are not even getting 50% of what he could bring to their sound.

Or maybe I am not a top class bass player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Kess73 wrote: »
    Pretty much sums up why I never played for Metallica, they just don't respect the bass.*

I do think that an awful lot of their music, even some of the great stuff they have done, could have sounded a hell of a lot better if they let Jason play with the freedom he had when he was with Flotsam and Jetsam. I loved how he sounded live on the Doomsday for the Deceiver tour.

Even with Rob, I feel they are not taking advantage of his abilities and are not even getting 50% of what he could bring to their sound.

Or maybe I am not a top class bass player

Agreed. I wouldn't expect them to give Rob the freedom he had in Suicidal/Infectious etc but give him some proper scope to work with. I like Death Magnetic a lot but wish there was a just a bit 'more' to it (and I don't mean length).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Metallergy

young-metal-fan.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I haven't put this with the super thread because it sort of covers musical development as opposed to Metallica as such (although it does make a good point about their attitude towards Jason).
    I've merged it into the Metallica thread as it only took 3 replies before it drifted off-topic and while it may cover musical development, it's still basically a thread devoted to Metallica and what does this thread's title read?

Never seen this before, rare rehearsal footage from Metallica probably in 2000

And a 2000 documentary from VH1

and, pretty cool, one of Jason's first ever solo's in Metallica, December 1986

Looks like rehearsals for the Summer Sanitarium jaunt in 2000. Would've been their last tour with Jason. Great to hear a bit of 2x4 in there,always wanted to hear that live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

lord lucan wrote: »
    Looks like rehearsals for the Summer Sanitarium jaunt in 2000. Would've been their last tour with Jason. Great to hear a bit of 2x4 in there,always wanted to hear that live.

Didn't ya go to Donington in 95??

Advertisement