Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

people do a lot of moaning about slane, I've been there a good few times and never failed to have a good time. fair enough, getting in and out is a pain, but the venue is unique enough that I don't have a problem with it.

I camped up there for 2 nights for GnR.. so no traffic problems.
    The worst part of the day was trying to get outthat fcuking Red exit afterwards.. :pac:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

greenspurs wrote: »
    I camped up there for 2 nights for GnR.. so no traffic problems.
    The worst part of the day was trying to get outthat fcuking Red exit afterwards.. :pac:

Same, it was our first time camping at it and it really made the trip, we had a great session at the campsite and it was cool to hear them rehearsing black hole sun, we chilled out in the sleeping bags the following morning while the rain came, it was lovely. dried up and all just in time for the gig itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

bennyl10 wrote: »
    The 'Slane' affect will add 10kish aswell,

foo fighters had 50-60k, anything around that they'd be happy

Yup, think they’ll pull 50k anyway. A decent support and 60k is definately achievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,151 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The blizzards are hot favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭rob316

To support Metallica? Christ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

PCros wrote: »
    I don't know about that for this one, a lot of folk on this thread and the one in Gigs seem to be put off by Slane as a venue.

True

My OH wants to go but shes really put off by Slane. So asked a mate and he said he’d go but then backed down when told it was Slane.

I’ll be going though but not mad on Slane either. It’s a kip of a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

wouldn't be surprised if they were opening act on the day, not main support though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

bennyl10 wrote: »
    wouldn't be surprised if they were opening act on the day, not main support though

If they have to go down the road if getting the obligatory Irish act, why not go for Therapy? New album out today and it’s pretty good.

Gnr was great Metallica will be great... Whingers just leaves more pit tickets for the rest of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

If they have to go down the road if getting the obligatory Irish act, why not go for Therapy?? New album out today and it’s pretty good.

FYP! :P

• Advertisement

If they have to go down the road if getting the obligatory Irish act, why not go for Therapy? New album out today and it’s pretty good.

That's the band I want on the bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Big Nasty wrote: »
    FYP! :P

Yeah I didn’t know what to do there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Let’s not forget that Tenacious D supported Metallica in Marlay Park in 2008 so it literally could be anyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Christ, I'd absolutely love to see Therapy? and Metallica on the same bill. I'll not get my hopes up for support bands though. Too often in this country, they're a disappointment. Didn't Paddy Casey support Pearl Jam back in 2006?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Do you have to pay for camping at slane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,871 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

shamrock55 wrote:

Yes, as they are generally private land

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

shamrock55 wrote:

You don't actually camp at slane castle grounds. there's slane farm which is a ten minute walk away (we could hear sound checks and warm ups foo fighters year) think we paid about €20 for two nights with use of their facilities and kitchenette. there are also farmers who let out their fields for camping too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

**** that. from a height. Outdoor festivals and good sound are not compatible at all.
    Rich money grabbing feckers who forget where they came from and convince themselves now it's better for the fans!
    We don't want huge productions, just the band on stage a few lights and feckin rock........

Just play 2 nights at the 3 arena and we all can enjoy it without the slane BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

**** that. from a height. Outdoor festivals and good sound are not compatible at all.
    Rich money grabbing feckers who forget where they came from and convince themselves now it's better for the fans!
    We don't want huge productions, just the band on stage a few lights and feckin rock........

Just play 2 nights at the 3 arena and we all can enjoy it without the slane BS.

I prefer my rock outdoors. Sure the sound would be better indoors but slane is a better venue for Metallica than the point IMO. Much better atmosphere outdoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

snoopy84 wrote: »
    You don't actually camp at slane castle grounds. there's slane farm which is a ten minute walk away (we could hear sound checks and warm ups foo fighters year) think we paid about €20 for two nights with use of their facilities and kitchenette. there are also farmers who let out their fields for camping too

Do you just rock up the day before or do you have to book a spot,or can you even just arrive the morning of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

VonZan wrote: »
    I prefer my rock outdoors. Sure the sound would be better indoors but slane is a better venue for Metallica than the point IMO. Much better atmosphere outdoors.

We can agree to disagree VonZan, i value the music hugely over the sense of event, if the sound is muck it ruins the experience for me but i do understand your point of view, hope you enjoy the feck out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Do you just rock up the day before or do you have to book a spot,or can you even just arrive the morning of?

Book ahead. Google slane farm camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭colmufc

Kevski wrote: »
    Let’s not forget that Tenacious D supported Metallica in Marlay Park in 2008 so it literally could be anyone...

They have a new album in November also so I would not be surprised to see them support again

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

shamrock55 wrote:

also you won't be able to drive up to campsite the day of concert as roads are closed, that's why we go up night before. slane farm camp has free shuttle buses on the night before to bring you up and down to the town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Has anyone any idea - even rough - when an official announcement including date might occur? Id love to be able to book camping.

Has anyone any idea - even rough - when an official announcement including date might occur? Id love to be able to book camping.
    Announced as Monday at 9am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Degag wrote: »
    Announced as Monday at 9am.

It will be Westlife or Ed Sheeran ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It will be Westlife or Ed Sheeran ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Definitively wont be ed sheeran :P

Westlife wil do every night in croke park possible :P

Stolen from another forum. Looks like Slane on 8th June.

https://imgur.com/a/9uWurLG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭finhex

All this seems so funny now :cool:

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    Get excited - they're booked for Slane, June next year.
    jacksie66 wrote: »
    Yeah, good one..
    Not a chance they'll play either Croker or Slane. Metallica would never sell the 60k tickets it would take to make it viable for a promoter to even consider one of those venues.
    It's a done deal. Mark my words. They're booked for Slane.
    I can clear that up for you... They ARE coming here, and they're playing in Slane.
    Lithium93_ wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Until I see otherwise, and not from someone on an internet forum.
    rob316 wrote: »
    Just couldnt see them doing such a big venue. Thats 80,000, they would be doing well to do half that.
    gerrybbadd wrote: »
    June?

Holy Shít, that's all the proof I needed!!!

Mr Man on the Internet has confirmed all I need to know, just by telling me a month.

Eh ya, still vague.
    Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Who would/could even be booked to support such a hypothetical gig?
    I'm just telling ye what I know.
    Make of the info what ye will !

Also, consider the following publicly known info:
    Metallica are due to start their Euro tour in May and Lord Henry Mountcharles has confirmed that a major band (that has not played Slane before) is going to play an early June show.

Could it possibly be Metallica??
    (The answer is yes, 'cos they're booked to play there!) :D
    They didnt sell out Marley which is less than half the capacity of Slane, they'd need a load of support and even still..
    Source? As much as I'd love it to happen, I doubt it will.....? They're just not big enough to fill a place like Slane.

Remember for years the ACDC rumours, and that never happened.
    gerrybbadd wrote: »
    *waits for Slane guy to come back with "confirmed"
    greenspurs wrote: »
    Why ?
    If they are not coming , does it matter?

Maybe wait and see if they announce a gig ? :confused:

OOOOPSSS !!! Nearly forgot about yer man on her that said they are definitely playing Slane next year ! DEFINITELY :rolleyes::D
    Okon wrote: »
    As Lars said Dublin, that must rule out Slane!

(Unless he thinks Slane is Dublin of course. :) )

Advertisement