Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Gold dust I'd say. I wonder what time they sold out at. What's the latest someone got one?

Yeah I tried to plemás them into letting me have one of the display ones but no joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Gold dust I'd say. I wonder what time they sold out at. What's the latest someone got one?

I asked at 14.00 and they were all gone. Some fans have been on to Probity merch on Instagram apparently to get them to print some more but I can't see it happening tbh. Was raging myself as it was the only thing I was planning on buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Yeah i was raging about the t-shirts. Really wanted the 'Meath' one, but they'd all gone by the time i got there. Settled for one with skulls that said Meath on the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

lord lucan wrote: »
    I asked at 14.00 and they were all gone. Some fans have been on to Probity merch on Instagram apparently to get them to print some more but I can't see it happening tbh. Was raging myself as it was the only thing I was planning on buying.

I'm sure it's probably the same with every city on the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭CraftySue

tusk wrote: »
    Have to say, as a long time fan, it was fantastic to see so many kids there. Wonderful to have the younger generation be able to appreciate what I grew up moshing to.

I've been to some strange gigs over the years, for all different bands and acts from all different genres, and I'm proud to say that this was easily the most diverse gig I've ever been to.
    Saw Metallica in the RDS over 14 years ago, I was pregnant at the time. Remember noting back then 3 generations of a family in front of me really into it.
    This year we went to Slane and I brought my 14 year old, such a great day, a lifetime family memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

CraftySue wrote: »
    Saw Metallica in the RDS over 14 years ago, I was pregnant at the time. Remember noting back then 3 generations of a family in front of me really into it.
    This year we went to Slane and I brought my 14 year old, such a great day, a lifetime family memory.

Wow. that was 14 years ago? I was there too as a young teen. Time flies. Great gig too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm sure it's probably the same with every city on the tour.

I bought one in Barcelona when Ghost were hitting the stage and there was still plenty left,I think demand at Slane massively outstripped supply,they probably done the same number print run as every other city but Slane was one of the biggest attendances of this European run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Yeah there's Madrid and Lisbon ones for sale on their website too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Slane is a fantastic and unique open air venue, what do people expect from an open field if you want a lovely clean venue with spotless facilities go watch them in a stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Bassfish wrote: »
    Saw a lad about 14 in Slane with his dad with a Ride The Lightning t-shirt on just before Metallica came on bouncing with excitement, couldn't stand still, kept saying Dad Dad I'm going to see Metallica, I can't believe I'm going to see Metallica! T'wud do your heart good :D

Just on this and it doing your heart good, there was a young kid and dad a few people ahead of me, said kid really didn't have a great view, so he proceeded to climb up on his father's shoulders, everyone around them, gathered round just to make sure the kid was safe while enjoying the view, and of course having a good old time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Just on this and it doing your heart good, there was a young kid and dad a few people ahead of me, said kid really didn't have a great view, so he proceeded to climb up on his father's shoulders, everyone around them, gathered round just to make sure the kid was safe while enjoying the view, and of course having a good old time.
    Nurturing the next generation of headbangers :D

Couple more pro-shot video from Slane Castle have appeared online.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Leppard Messiah

weiland79 wrote: »
    All in all a great day was had. The rain stopped just in time and it turned into quite a pleasant evening. The stage show was fantastic and sound quality where i was standing was great.

Thought the setlist was poor enough, not sure who they were catering to, cant imagine that casual Metallica fans were in the majority.
    The encore is just standard and run of the mill at this stage.
    Wouldn't it have been a much more satisfactory end to the night if they'd finished with Battery or Blackened or anything else really.

couldnt make it myself due to last minute health issues but judging by the videos ive seen and talking to about 6 different people that were at it there was a huge casual fan crowd there..it say 20-30k didnt know much apart from the black album and whiskey in the jar..surprised they didnt drop the likes of frantic and a few of the hardwired tracks to play more of a greatest hits set with the likes of fade to black and roam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

couldnt make it myself due to last minute health issues but judging by the videos ive seen and talking to about 6 different people that were at it there was a huge casual fan crowd there..it say 20-30k didnt know much apart from the black album and whiskey in the jar..surprised they didnt drop the likes of frantic and a few of the hardwired tracks to play more of a greatest hits set with the likes of fade to black and roam

It's the 'WorldWired Tour' to support the album, they're always going to play 4-5 songs off it.

Well James did say, "you'll hear some old stuff, and some new stuff". Shame they didn't include something off Load & Death Magnetic as every other album got attention, with Hardwired... To Self-Destruct getting the most spotlight. I was pretty happy with the setlist either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Leppard Messiah

It's the 'WorldWired Tour' to support the album, they're always going to play 4-5 songs off it.

personally would have had no issues with he setlist just thought Lars would have realised how many casuals were there and tweaked the setlist slightly..he is usually quite good at that..id say less than half the audience knew the hardwired songs...was probably more of a festival type crowd than a hardcore metallica crowd

personally would have had no issues with he setlist just thought Lars would have realised how many casuals were there and tweaked the setlist slightly..he is usually quite good at that..id say less than half the audience knew the hardwired songs...was probably more of a festival type crowd than a hardcore metallica crowd

This shouldn't be an excuse for anyone at any gig with the wide array of options available to listen to music these days. But that's my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So over a week since the gig and been so busy, listened to the set a few times now and amazed at how well they sounded

Few points though

Would have loved Whiskey to be an addition to the set rather than instead of Thing/Harvester.

Feel the band didn't really get the 'specialness' of the occasion, they're playing stadiums throughout this run and this was, i think, the biggest show of the summer for them.

Wish they'd drop the Metallica Family thing, it really is getting cringy now

I thought they were good, Far from the best i've seen them and very far from the worst.

I just can't warm to Rob, he's been with the band now for 16yrs, a year longer than Jason but i still only see him as an extra, as great a player as he is.

That walk back to the red coach park was a killer, was chatting to someone at gig who said she'd seen them in Barcelona and it wasn't like this, yeah, cos thats a stadium with an infrastructure to take hundreds of coaches and cars, this is a field in a 1 road in, 1 road out tinpot town

Merch was shocking, queues were shocking, posters/slane shirts selling out by 2pm was shocking.

Whats next for them when it comes to Ireland, it's a tricky one, if they play Dublin will peoples attitude be , "Fcukin amazing at Slane, here MCD, here's another 100quid for a ticket" or "****in amazing at Slane but i'm not paying out another 100quid for a ticket" Tricky one indeed

I can see them returning to Europe to hit the lucrative festival market next summer, come next year it would be 8yrs since they headlined Donington so can see them there, which leaves us with a possible RDS/Aviva show

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

scudzilla wrote:
    Feel the band didn't really get the 'specialness' of the occasion, they're playing stadiums throughout this run and this was, i think, the biggest show of the summer for them.

Say wha, the 'specialness'?
    scudzilla wrote:
    Wish they'd drop the Metallica Family thing, it really is getting cringy now

Agree
    scudzilla wrote:
    Whats next for them when it comes to Ireland, it's a tricky one, if they play Dublin will peoples attitude be , "Fcukin amazing at Slane, here MCD, here's another 100quid for a ticket" or "****in amazing at Slane but i'm not paying out another 100quid for a ticket" Tricky one indeed

Again, say wha? People will pay whatever, relax, there's no trickiness involved, they certainly won't be having to worry about poor attendance's for a while

Note: metalheads are nuts in their ideas and notions, what planet do we be coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Agree

Again, say wha? People will pay whatever, relax, there's no trickiness involved, they certainly won't be having to worry about poor attendance's for a while

Note: metalheads are nuts in their ideas and notions, what planet do we be coming from?

This attitude blows my mind TBH.

Fans are allowed to criticise their favorite band, we are all consumers after all; if the typical fan feels the set was ****e or the venue a pain to get to or the extortionate ticket price for what is was on the day was poor value for money then he/she is entitled to that opinion.

Metallica could have collectively farted into a megaphone at Slane here and some would still proclaim it to be the best thing ever.

The people who went and had fun; fair play, glad ye enjoyed it but just because some here dare to criticise the event (many who actually where there) doesn't mean they are any less of a fan or 'elitist'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Population of London - 8.1 million, Berlin - 3.5 million, Amsterdam bout a million etc.

Slane - Almost 1,000 people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Couple more pro-shot video from Slane Castle have appeared online.

Why do they upload these as unlisted? I don't get it, they'd be getting decent views and generating a bit of revenue as opposed to the nothing the 3k S&D is doing when unlisted

They removed One as well, or maybe just changed the link since there was an error at the start saying it's Whiskey in the Jar

How/Where do you find these unlisted videos anyway?

Why do they upload these as unlisted? I don't get it, they'd be getting decent views and generating a bit of revenue as opposed to the nothing the 3k S&D is doing when unlisted

They removed One as well, or maybe just changed the link since there was an error at the start saying it's Whiskey in the Jar

How/Where do you find these unlisted videos anyway?

They took One down, then re-uploaded due to the error at the start.

They could be unlisted due to them being MetClub exclusive, then eventually listed. Probably.

They took One down, then re-uploaded due to the error at the start.

They could be unlisted due to them being MetClub exclusive, then eventually listed. Probably.

Yep they did, found it in the comments of one the other unlisted videos, here it is if anyone else wants it

Bit pointless so, signed up there and One and S&D are the only 2 on it, at least they're not behind a paywall I suppose Lars being Lars and all

Yep they did, found it in the comments of one the other unlisted videos, here it is if anyone else wants it

Bit pointless so, signed up there and One and S&D are the only 2 on it, at least they're not behind a paywall I suppose Lars being Lars and all

I'm looking at the same tab now, and I'm seeing 11 videos, from Lisbon through to Amsterdam.

I'm looking at the same tab now, and I'm seeing 11 videos, from Lisbon through to Amsterdam.

I meant Slane only, the performance might be 99% the same but there's something about the performance being the same one you were at

I meant Slane only, the performance might be 99% the same but there's something about the performance being the same one you were at

Ah whoops :pac:

I'm seeing Whiskey, One, and Rob & Kirk's cover of Wild Rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

James fcuked up in Amsterdam, starts the spiel (are you alive, to be alive you should know how to be dead) before 'Now that we're dead' then realises they're not playing it 😂

"You can listen to that one later, this is Here comes revenge" 😂😂

Ah whoops :pac:

I'm seeing Whiskey, One, and Rob & Kirk's cover of Wild Rover.

Yeah between public and private iv got 4 on yt, those 3 and Seek&Destroy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

scudzilla wrote: »
    James fcuked up in Amsterdam, starts the spiel (are you alive, to be alive you should know how to be dead) before 'Now that we're dead' then realises they're not playing it ��

"You can listen to that one later, this is Here comes revenge" ����

That's the best thing about live gigs TBH :)

Advertisement