Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I wouldn't call it dated in the respect that everything is dated from its inception. Like what gives one decade/generation the standard to judge previous ones as dated? I like the pots and pans drums, original and annoying.

For St. Anger it's the lack of solos tying into the nu metal sound of the mid 90's to early 00's. Not sure if that was intentional on the bands part (Kirk is dead set against it in SKOM when he rightly claims the lack of solos will date the record to that period) or just following the popular thing at the time.

St. Anger hasn't really aged that well, but something like, say, Reign in Blood still sounds as fresh as the day it came out over 30 years ago. Guess you can blame the awful production on St. Anger for that.

As a drummer, I actually really like the snare sound on the title track but not for the whole album...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Yeah, that's why is sounds as dated as it does.

They wanted to bring the original aggression back to the music, hence the title, but it mostly came off as contrived.

It's cack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

For St. Anger it's the lack of solos tying into the nu metal sound of the mid 90's to early 00's. Not sure if that was intentional on the bands part (Kirk is dead set against it in SKOM when he rightly claims the lack of solos will date the record to that period) or just following the popular thing at the time.

St. Anger hasn't really aged that well, but something like, say, Reign in Blood still sounds as fresh as the day it came out over 30 years ago. Guess you can blame the awful production on St. Anger for that.

As a drummer, I actually really like the snare sound on the title track but not for the whole album...

I think St Anger is a kind of unholy amalgamation of nu metal and thrash. It doesn't sound the same as Limp Bizkit or Papa Roach, it has that same reaching back to AJFA as Death Magnetic has. Honestly I think they basically ran out of ideas by the time of St Anger and have stuck to the same formula since of overly long songs and stock riffs. If you're going to do pots and pans for one song, you might as well go all the way and do it for every song. That's the one remarkable feature of the album, Bob Rock's bass sound is pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Personally I always found Kill em All a bit hard to listen to once Master and Justice came out.

Personally I always found Kill em All a bit hard to listen to once Master and Justice came out.

I love KEA myself but it was quite a leap in quality from that to RTL to MOP in a pretty short space of time.

Phantom Lord is a tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Went up to Slane with the family yesterday, great afternoon out and a nice outside bar/eating area attached to the castle.

Had a walk round the concert area and went to where we stood, amazing how well the whole area has repaired itself, you'd never have guessed only 8wks ago the place had 75k Metal fans in there

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Who is going to S and M in temhe cinema?

Shame no drink can be consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Who is going to S and M in temhe cinema?

Shame no drink can be consumed.

Both the lighthouse and cineworld allow you to bring in drink from their bars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Was there anyone more metal than Jason..At the top of there game here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dexter647 wrote: »

fcuk yea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

dexter647 wrote: »

Go back 7 years earlier....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Said it countless times before, Jason is my fav ever member of the band, met him a couple of times and he ALWAYS made sure he had time for fans, cos he was one.
    Thought it was criminal how they didn't entertain the fact of him rejoining.

Even though Rob has been in the band, what, 16yrs now, i still dont see him as a full member, how fcuked up is that.

Truly hope Jason is in a happy place and has found peace with himself as i know he's had a very rough time

scudzilla wrote: »
    Said it countless times before, Jason is my fav ever member of the band, met him a couple of times and he ALWAYS made sure he had time for fans, cos he was one.
    Thought it was criminal how they didn't entertain the fact of him rejoining.

Even though Rob has been in the band, what, 16yrs now, i still dont see him as a full member, how fcuked up is that.

Truly hope Jason is in a happy place and has found peace with himself as i know he's had a very rough time

The past is the past and all that.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

He's selling his gaff if anyone's in the market and has close to $3m to spare.

https://loudwire.com/jason-newsted-california-home-2-89-million/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He's selling his gaff if anyone's in the market and has close to $3m to spare.

https://loudwire.com/jason-newsted-california-home-2-89-million/

That's actually a bargain going by our standards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭shanec1928

for such a belter of a tune is there a reason it was only ever performed once?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

That's actually a bargain going by our standards

List is only $2.89 million so I think a solid offer of 2.5 cash would seal it! :pac:

shanec1928 wrote: »
    for such a belter of a tune is there a reason it was only ever performed once?]

That’s certainly the best of the 4 off those tracks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Same as No Leaf Clover I’m imagining it’s a practice run for S&M 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭klose

Outlaw torn getting a play tonight

klose wrote: »

S&M version of that track is outstanding, the definitive version for me.

I know we’ll get the usuals but I hope they don’t just play the same songs as they did at S&M 1.

Ktulu could be swapped for Orion or TLITD and Outlaw Torn with any number of songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

klose wrote: »

I hope they release that as the video on their YouTube channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I hope they release that as the video on their YouTube channel.

They definitely will, they released the day that never comes the other day and it sounded amazing, I reckon it will be played at s&m2.

I saw the video of them playing it with trujillo (years and years ago probably the last time they played it live) on backing vocals and I appreciate it's a thankless task following up newsteads vocals but you could barely hear his, be interested to see his performance this time round. Like the other poster said the s&m performance of outlaw torn is the definitive version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

S&M version of that track is outstanding, the definitive version for me.

Love the outro so dig the one on the Memory Remains single, the way it way meant to be, probably shouldn't have cut it and just dropped one of the weaker tracks.

Love the outro so dig the one on the Memory Remains single, the way it way meant to be, probably shouldn't have cut it and just dropped one of the weaker tracks.

I think they could have used strings on the original Outlaw Thorn and Bleeding Me, some of those Load/Reload tracks took on another life with orchestral arrangement to supplement them.

I think they could have used strings on the original Outlaw Thorn and Bleeding Me, some of those Load/Reload tracks took on another life with orchestral arrangement to supplement them.

Hero Of The Day was another one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭rednik

Went to the gig in Munich last week great performance. First time to see Ghost and thought they were very good, not around though to see them in November.

48623732508_873abf5bfa_c.jpg

48623735013_d19d5a8721_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

rednik wrote: »
    Went to the gig in Munich last week great performance. First time to see Ghost and thought they were very good, not around though to see them in November.

48623732508_873abf5bfa_c.jpg

48623735013_d19d5a8721_c.jpg

i wish i could fit in and have that suit

Advertisement