Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Cannot wait to see this live this time next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭klose

Amazing performance, kirk nails that solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Am I the only one who doesn't see the point of band + orchestra...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Granadino wrote: »

Did you like the original S&M?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Shur it allows m€tallic$ to release another rehashed version of old songs for the members of the Metalli-Family to lap up, pay to watch it in a cinema, and buy the 'limited edition' platinum cd/dvd of the gig....

Purely driven by money … Ground breaking stuff of course …. :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    Shur it allows m€tallic$ to release another rehashed version of old songs for the members of the Metalli-Family to lap up, pay to watch it in a cinema, and buy the 'limited edition' platinum cd/dvd of the gig....

Purely driven by money … Ground breaking stuff of course …. :rolleyes:

I don't know why they don't just get rid of Kirk and Rob tbh. They'd get a ****load more cash if there was only 2 of them in the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I might come across as a bit of a fanboy here but I don’t think it’s purely about the money.

I presume they like to challenge themselves and do something different to the norm. Playing the same songs the same way for the past 3 years must get a bit boring and they’re probably on autopilot at this stage so with this, they have to do a bit extra to make it work.

Don’t get me wrong though, the money helps!

I've always loved S&M (it was the second ever release I picked up from the band) and I've always wondered what material released after 1999 would sound like with orchestral arrangements.

It will be interesting to see what songs get that treatment this time around especially if they dare tackle St. Anger stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Did you like the original S&M?

No, but I thought Nothing Else Matters off it sounded great. One or Master of Puppets or Battery with an orchestra? What's the point? It sounds like they added the Dream Theater keyboard player for a set. I don't see the point of it at all.
    Why not do Slayer with an orchestra or Carcass...
    I agree with them possibly just wanting to keep it fresh.
    I'd like to see them do a full set of covers again sometime, similar to the Garage Days II set they did in late 90s. Or a whole new set of covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No

I'm going to roger waters instead

No, but I thought Nothing Else Matters off it sounded great. One or Master of Puppets or Battery with an orchestra? What's the point? It sounds like they added the Dream Theater keyboard player for a set. I don't see the point of it at all.
    Why not do Slayer with an orchestra or Carcass...
    I agree with them possibly just wanting to keep it fresh.
    I'd like to see them do a full set of covers again sometime, similar to the Garage Days II set they did in late 90s. Or a whole new set of covers.

I thought they butchered that on S&M TBH but fair enough.

I think most of the earlier material doesn't lend itself too well to orchestration because, well, that stuff is like an orchestra in itself; there's not enough space between the notes for the symphony to really leave a mark. S&M works best with the material from the Loads and the two new songs that were released at the time of it's conception.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭klose

The load/reload stuff off the original s&m album sounded the best, still an awesome album in total and looking forward to s&m2.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Granadino wrote:
    No, but I thought Nothing Else Matters off it sounded great. One or Master of Puppets or Battery with an orchestra? What's the point? It sounds like they added the Dream Theater keyboard player for a set. I don't see the point of it at all. Why not do Slayer with an orchestra or Carcass... I agree with them possibly just wanting to keep it fresh. I'd like to see them do a full set of covers again sometime, similar to the Garage Days II set they did in late 90s. Or a whole new set of covers.

Shur why would tallica do slayer or carcass songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Shur why would tallica do slayer or carcass songs?

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I thought they butchered that on S&M TBH but fair enough.

I think most of the earlier material doesn't lend itself too well to orchestration because, well, that stuff is like an orchestra in itself; there's not enough space between the notes for the symphony to really leave a mark. S&M works best with the material from the Loads and the two new songs that were released at the time of it's conception.

I always thought it would be a good idea but I don't think kamen did a good job at all with the old stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭COH

If anyone flew over for S&M2 there is a sports bar/bowling alley near the chase centre called Lucky Strike doing a pre-gig Metallica party... the Guinness is pure sh*te but should be good craic for anyone looking to get in the swing of things early.

Cant bloody wait for the gig later now !

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

COH wrote: »
    If anyone flew over for S&M2 there is a sports bar/bowling alley near the chase centre called Lucky Strike doing a pre-gig Metallica party... the Guinness is pure sh*te but should be good craic for anyone looking to get in the swing of things early.

Cant bloody wait for the gig later now !

enjoy u lucky SOB

So i imagine the movie will be combined footage of the 2 nights ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Good mix there.

That iron Foundry piece sounds a bit bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

gerrybbadd wrote: »

****ing hell didnt expect some of those tracks

Awesome

Sound quality ain't the best but it sounds pretty cool I reckon.

I'm kinda hoping for a different setlist on Sunday, but I know it's unlikely. Anesthesia on upright bass is pure Rob Scallon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

We're so used to the band using the Ecstasy tape, but when an orchestra gets added to it/plays it, it just amps the majestic factor a little bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Will they be doing an album like last time? S&M was so good first time around I'd love to see proper professional footage

• Advertisement

Will they be doing an album like last time? S&M was so good first time around I'd love to see proper professional footage

Well it's going to be in cinemas for one night so I'd say they'll release a DVD alright.

The audio will probably be on livemetallica to purchase in a week or so's time

Advertisement