Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Do they not have individual net worth in the 100s of millions of dollars?

If they're not at that level of wealth, they're not far off. They're all set as far as money goes - there is no doubt about that. They're probably smart enough to keep band and personal finances separate such that even if Metallica imploded financially, the members would still be fine.

Additionally, although I understand that money from recordings is a mere ghost of what it once was, Metallica would be one of the few bands who could surely still see a hefty return on this IP each year. I believe that they have the rights to their music now under Blackened recordings, would have the clout to cut a bespoke deal with Spotify, as well as there still being money in licensing music out to television and film.

To reiterate: Metallica will never be truly hurting financially. The only thing that might happen is that the revenue is not great enough to maintain the lifestyle to which they're accustomed. Maybe James or Lars will no longer be able to maintain 7 opulent properties throughout the States plus a fleet of motor vehicles and gobs of fine art on the walls. As South Park so hilariously pointed out - they'd be consigned to a life of only semi-luxury, downgrading to a Gulf Stream III private jet which lacks onboard surround sound system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Never said they were.

But there was certainly a tactic admission from both James and Kirk that they working hard to recoup revenue they lost in the early 2010's.

It's not just that. Rich people always want to be richer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I dunno about that, Metallica can basically pick and choose whatever gig they want to play these days and when to play it. They don't need to pay the bills; there is enough in the bank a long time now to pay for that.

I really don't buy that they find touring and making records tiresome. You can accuse Metallica of a lot of things but they still bring it live; no question about that. I think this is just a little blip that Hetfield needs to address right now before it becomes a bigger issue down the line.

Nail on the head there with the last sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Never said they were.

But there was certainly a tacit admission from both James and Kirk that they were working hard to recoup revenue they lost in the early 2010's.

I reckon they've made that back and then some since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Lars and James are worth in excess of 300m each by all accounts, The reason why they tour has to be because they like doing it. They wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

I see quite a few people assuming that it's the touring that has caused this. I suppose it's the likely scenario, but perhaps it has nothing to do with it. Maybe it's to do with other life pressures.

As another poster alluded to, I hope this is more of a pre-emptive thing rather than full blown meltdown.

In any case I hope they are back better and stronger soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Degag wrote: »
    Lars and James are worth in excess of 300m each by all accounts, The reason why they tour has to be because they like doing it. They wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

I see quite a few people assuming that it's the touring that has caused this. I suppose it's the likely scenario, but perhaps it has nothing to do with it. Maybe it's to do with other life pressures.

As another poster alluded to, I hope this is more of a pre-emptive thing rather than full blown meltdown.

In any case I hope they are back better and stronger soon.
    They also tour to keep the business running, they have long term employees etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Metallica is a business with employees simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They are the one metal band who don't have to hit the road for just money. Lars and James are in the 100s of millions bracket. They created it though and want to keep going, its like a business you don't just stop when you reach the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

If they didn’t want to tour anymore they’d stop and lay off whatever employees they had.

‘They’ is the important word there though. Look at Slayer; Kerry King would’ve been happy to go for another 10 years i’d say but Tom wants to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Rumour flying around that it's not alcohol he's in rehab for, the word opioids is being used.

• Advertisement

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Rumour flying around that it's not alcohol he's in rehab for, the word opioids is being used.
    The tom petty special, that would suggest he's being patched up to go onstage.

Fook

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Couldn't hurt to have James talk to Nikki Sixx, IF it is opioids..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Know of the word but what drugs are they ???

Heroin?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've suspected other addictions for sometime as that term has been used since scom days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Strong pain killers.

skallywag wrote: »
    Strong pain killers.

Jesus :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

skallywag wrote: »
    Strong pain killers.

Very addictive. Might have been a little twig of the shoulder or something that set it off. It's mostly physically demanding music and these guys are getting on a bit now.

Of course this is all pure speculation but if it is pain killers that would make a lot of sense.

Also James is known for having an addictive personality, he once had to quit social media for a time as he felt it was getting out of hand, he seems to be very cautious the minute something becomes an issue for him and fair play to him.

I've been struck by the amount of opioid-related deaths in the last decade among famous people, and the problem is rampant in wider American society, judging from the documentaries I've seen on the subject. Paul Gray from Slipknot, Tom Petty, Prince.... Prince in particular is someone who I would have thought was into really clean living.

And perhaps more than alcohol it's a problem that's easier to hide unless you know the little signs.

One thing about Hetfield, though - he knows that he has an addictive personality, so I doubt he'd even take painkillers unless he had no other choice.

I wonder what exactly was the trigger that started him taking them? Assuming that the rumour IS true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Here's a recent piece John Oliver did about the opioid issue in America. As he mentions, it's a follow up from an episode he did a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

I wonder what exactly was the trigger that started him taking them? Assuming that the rumour IS true?

We'll have to wait for that info, one thing about James is he was always pretty open about his struggle with addiction, he seemed very much on top of it in interviews like he knows he has some problems but he was open when talking about it, I had a slight suspicion on his appearance in charity photos of late, the return of the hair and the mustache was cool, many people commented on it, but something in his complexion was off, like he looked a bit run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So Randy Blythe shared this on Jamey Jasta's Instagram, after Jasta posted a photo of Hetfield, shortly after the news had broken.
    I got sober while we were on tour with Metallica almost 9 years ago. The first day of that run, one of my crew guys came to me and said “Hey, Hetfield’s looking for you”- we had been touring with them in the States & Europe for over a year and I was just RAGING, especially in Europe, but inside I was MISERABLE. He knew I had been trying to quit drinking, it wasn’t working for me anymore, & it all came to an end in Australia. A HUGE FACTOR in my willingness & ability to get sober while on ****ing heavy metal tour was the fact that I had James & some of his crew who were also sober to talk to - I didn’t have to do it alone.

James & crew babied me through my first month of sobriety out there on the road - it was a heavy trip. I couldn’t have done it without them. When I saw the news about James today, I hurt so bad inside for him, because he was there for me when I was in such bad shape - I know how dark it can get. But it was also a very strong reminder for me of what I am, & what waits for me if I **** up & forget I am alcoholic. If you’re an alcoholic, NO ONE IS IMMUNE, no matter how long you have been sober. James is in the right place right now, though, & as he has gone there of his own volition, it sounds like to me he wants sobriety back - and that is the key to it all, you have to want it. So my thoughts & prayers are with him - I love that dude. He literally helped SAVE MY LIFE.

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    We'll have to wait for that info, one thing about James is he was always pretty open about his struggle with addiction, he seemed very much on top of it in interviews like he knows he has some problems but he was open when talking about it, I had a slight suspicion on his appearance in charity photos of late, the return of the hair and the mustache was cool, many people commented on it, but something in his complexion was off, like he looked a bit run down.

To me, he looked like he'd gained an awful lot of weight

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

briany wrote: »
    The band members aren't 25-30 anymore. The duration of the tour is down to its layout - chunks of dates time off in between. Thus far, it works out at about 60 shows a year, which is pretty tame. Back in their prime, the band would tour its absolute arse off, for example doing 222 dates in a little over a year on the Damaged Justice tour. That's insane.

The thing is though that the Damage Justice tour was the height of their alcohol and drugs abuse. They might have been young but they definitely used a lot of chemicals and alcohol to power themselves through that tour schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

briany wrote: »
    One thing about Hetfield, though - he knows that he has an addictive personality, so I doubt he'd even take painkillers unless he had no other choice.

Hmm, why would a person with a history of addiction try painkillers. I guess anything can be a mystery when you overthink things.

ush wrote: »
    Hmm, why would a person with a history of addiction try painkillers. I guess anything can be a mystery when you overthink things.

Pain perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Pain perhaps?

The crushing monotony of life under late capitalism?

Rumour had it tom petty had a broken hip and the doc gave him fentanyl for the tour

• Advertisement

Rumour had it tom petty had a broken hip and the doc gave him fentanyl for the tour

Whether that case is true or not, it is a route to addiction that people abuse painkillers that had were legitimately prescribed, initially. They take them to manage the pain, and then keep taking them, even after that pain has ceased.

Someone who, outwardly, has been so careful in managing his addictive tendencies, like James, would probably be reticent to take something like strong painkillers, unless he had to manage quite significant pain and had little other choice. Unless he'd been living under a rock, he'd know what a problem illicit Oxy and Fentanyl use is, particularly in the States.

Advertisement