Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

About as likely as Lars saying he was wrong about Napster

Lars did no wrong there in my book.

Would you walk into a shop and put a bar of chocolate in your pocket?

Still plenty more money to be milked I suppose.

Metallica are not playing for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

skallywag wrote: »
    Lars did no wrong there in my book.

Oh I fully agree, was just making a point, seeing the South Park episode today (legally on Netflix I add) with him not being able to afford his gold bath because of pirating just had it on my mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Not sure if you're joking or serious there

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

skallywag wrote:

Fcuk yea, I'd rob anything
    skallywag wrote:

Should artists play for free? What's the craic with metalheads and not liking success, always found that weird?

• Advertisement

Not sure if you're joking or serious there

I am quite serious, I really believe that the money is quite low on their motivation for touring, they have shed loads of the stuff.

I genuinely think that they are mainly doing it for the love of it. Howard Stern sums it up pretty well when they did a few numbers on his show, his comment that they genuinely still seem to be loving it, and not just going through the motions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Metallica made their money a long long time ago and continue to make vast money from merch alone.

They love to play and don't have to play to earn a living.

This is Metallica we're talking about here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I’m probably disagreeing with most on here but to me, money is the bigger driver for Metallica touring over the love of it. But don’t get me wrong, that’s the same for 95% of bands, no matter what they say and I’d be the same too.

They’ve been millionaires since the mid 90s but millionaires want to be multi millionaires and multi millionaires want to be billionaires and Metallica are safely in the multi millionaire category now but that doesn’t mean the drive to be richer isn’t there.

I know the show is expensive to put on and they’ve a huge crew but they’re still pulling in big bucks. And the meet and greets and backstage tickets? Do you honestly think Lars is doing that for the love of it or is it the €1500 ticket?

No one here knows exactly what drives them so we’re all just guessing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Well the band certainly enjoy making money. Tour ticket prices are frankly a rip off these days and meet and greets prices are pretty obscene too, but if people are just dying to pay for them then you can basically charge whatever you want really.

Whether that comes from the band themselves or management is up for debate.

Metallica could call it a day tomorrow and still be raking it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jason is on record saying he could live very comfortably solely off the royalties from the Black Album.

It's not about money its about been the biggest and best. They built it, its a business. Did Steve Jobs turn around and say "right I've made 10bn, wind it up now, that's enough money for anybody"?

Know your worth, charge what you can get, you worked damn hard to get to where you are. They'll keep going another 10 years, slowly lessening the schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I highly doubt they're keeping their ticket prices to a minimum, enough to cover tour expenses.

I highly doubt they're keeping their ticket prices to a minimum, enough to cover tour expenses.

Definitely not, if you are going to tour then you are going to charge the going rate. I do not see Metallica charging any less than other bands of an equal caliber.

That said, I still do not believe that money is their main motivation to tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

rob316 wrote: »
    Jason is on record saying he could live very comfortably solely off the royalties from the Black Album.
    I think he's on the record saying that he was pretty much sorted before the Black Album even came out based on the revenue the band was making and the financial advice they were getting in the few years prior.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

PTH2009 wrote: »
    ... hoping it will be a Album/DVD of S&M2. That would be a nice xmas viewing

Not in tme for Christmas viewing, but the e-mail today did say the S&M 2 album is being released in February 2020... so not too long to wait. (Cool cover too.)

image.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Okon wrote: »
    Not in tme for Christmas viewing, but the e-mail today did say the S&M 2 album is being released in February 2020... so not too long to wait. (Cool cover too.)

image.jpeg

Better than nothing

Looking forward to it later, enjoy it everyone

At the risk of going against the grain, I never really warmed to the S&M thing.

For me the defining sound is from '83 to '88. Would loved to have seen them on the Justice tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

skallywag wrote:

Fcuking judas! Get him!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭klose

For me the defining sound is from '83 to '88. Would loved to have seen them on the Justice tour.

I really liked the s&m album but can see why people don't dig it.

I think form 83 to 88 there's still even a big difference in hetfields vocals I wouldn't group those years together personally but I think most who weren't around back done would give anything to see a justice era performance from them.

Think they've a pretty great sound at the moment looking at their YouTube videos of the current tour, the cunning stunts videos hetfield sounds pretty bad imo.

Loved S&M2 setlist was pretty good and surprising

The outlaw torn was magical

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That was brilliant. Much more ambitious and experimental. The orchestra wasn't just supporting Metallica it stood out much more. I was just grinning the whole time that dude with the bass did cliffs solo.
    Sounded amazing, James especially and I am thoroughly jealous of anyone that got to see that live.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Did James look nervous when he was singing Unforgiven 3? He looked like he was ****ting it on the second night. Can't wait to see the film on Sunday.

Felt it was similar to the arena show of the current tour

I got flashbacks of some of the moves etc I saw in Glasgow

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mobitron

rob316 wrote: »

"I got plans for those millions and it ain't for fxxkin' sandwiches"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Went to see it in cineworld last night. If the music wasn't blaring it would have been like any normal film. Most people were just sitting watching. I was expecting a better atmosphere. Metallica sounded great. I really enjoyed Unforgiven III. Its so rare to see James sing without his guitar...defo out of his comfort zone. Pulling teeth was savage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

That metallicaxx website has something about 5 festivals on it in the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That metallicaxx website has something about 5 festivals on it in the link?

Getting announced for string of US festivals

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The timer has stopped, but there's nothing there now?

So playing a few fests,, headlining two nights at each.

Would assume be different sets per night

The timer has stopped, but there's nothing there now?

Tis slowly loading up. Live video on it with dates for the gigs.

Think it sets a dangerous precedent for festivals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

They must be fairly optimistic that James will be good to go for those festival appearances.

Advertisement