Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Hair cut, no beard, lost weight. New man!

Yeah, he was looking like the local alco down the back of the pub whining ballads of a Sunday evening.

Back on form now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's good that he doesn't seem to be in the haze he was back in 2002 either when he first came out of rehab.

This tour was clearly one too long for him, I reckon the band is really done with long stints - tours lasting on and off for years off the back of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

It's good that he doesn't seem to be in the haze he was back in 2002 either when he first came out of rehab.

This tour was clearly one too long for him, I reckon the band is really done with long stints - tours lasting on and off for years off the back of this.

They play about 8 concerts in a 3 week leg, always at least one night between each concert and about 3-4 weeks between each leg.

They play 50 concerts a year max

Maybe they need to make small changes to their schedule, perhaps, but i don't think Metallica's touring schedule is as draining as it could be

Degag wrote: »
    They play about 8 concerts in a 3 week leg, always at least one night between each concert and about 3-4 weeks between each leg.

They play 50 concerts a year max

Maybe they need to make small changes to their schedule, perhaps, but i don't think Metallica's touring schedule is as draining as it could be

The Worldwired tour has gone on now since 2016. It's not so much the volume of shows, rather the continuing on/off touring travel and commitments running until at least October of this year.

This will most likely be the last of these tours that runs on for years.

Year maybe two year tours could be the future. Less shows almost certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Next tour will be performed by holograms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

They've pulled out of a couple of dates they were due to play as it clashes with a rehab date James has.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-pulls-out-of-sonic-temple-and-louder-than-life-festivals-james-hetfield-issues-statement/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

They've pulled out of a couple of dates they were due to play as it clashes with a rehab date James has.

I've an astonishing amount of respect for the man, more so since his openess about his mental health and addiction problems, I'd say the music industry is truly rotten for such issues

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Dead right. Mental/physical health is more important than a few gigs/money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Dead right. Mental/physical health is more important than a few gigs/money.

Especially since they really don't need the money at this stage in their careers, and are doing it for the love of just doing it (and of course, more of that sweet, sweet money!). But ya get what I mean:o

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Especially since they really don't need the money at this stage in their careers, and are doing it for the love of just doing it (and of course, more of that sweet, sweet money!). But ya get what I mean:o

I'm sure a lot of people rely on Metallica touring in order to pay their bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Master of Puppets is 34 years old today

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

This fan made documentary turned up in my YouTube Recommended earlier.

Anyone else here got the deluxe set of this? Gona sift through some of the good stuff on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Currently listening to the ReLoad album properly for probably the first time since it was released, enjoying it!

Currently listening to the ReLoad album properly for probably the first time since it was released, enjoying it!

Pretty good album, been a very long time since I listened to it though

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Pretty good album, been a very long time since I listened to it though

Me too! Charity store find, and I just figured why not, it was probably the one Metallica album I gave the least attention too.

Maybe next too Kill Em All, which I don't hate, but just never really listened too much except the usual live staples.

Maybe next too Kill Em All, which I don't hate, but just never really listened too much except the usual live staples.

Became very obsessed with metallica when I was younger, went through a phase of only listening to them, continuously, album after album, from kill'em all to the black album, in order, very interesting to hear their progression

Became very obsessed with metallica when I was younger, went through a phase of only listening to them, continuously, album after album, from kill'em all to the black album, in order, very interesting to hear their progression

Yes, they're an incredible band

Naturally production got better, technology improved, access to better technology and their natural agreement to allow Bob Rock to produce their sound more commercially meant a big change - but I think in general this band were always thinking about more complex music, as early as Ride the Lightning this is apparent. Naturally people got upset about the bands move from Thrash to more mainstream Metal and Rock with the Black Album....that said....the same people then rebelled effectively when Load/ReLoad came out.

So really Metallica have perhaps three layers of fans, if not more now, and a band with that kind of appeal simply can't be the same band all the time by definition.

So really Metallica have perhaps three layers of fans, if not more now, and a band with that kind of appeal simply can't be the same band all the time by definition.

I'd agree, from the very early days you could see they were destined for other things, I'm not sure if it was vision or if they were just going along with things, but ballads such as fade to black must have seriously thrown many at the time, they always seemed like they just wanted to challenge people, and challenge themselves, it has made them the band they are, it has made them far better musicians, metal has a tendency to go up its own hole, it needs to be challenged now and again, so to does its fans, there's more to the music world than just metal

I'd agree, from the very early days you could see they were destined for other things, I'm not sure if it was vision or if they were just going along with things, but ballads such as fade to black must have seriously thrown many at the time, they always seemed like they just wanted to challenge people, and challenge themselves, it has made them the band they are, it has made them far better musicians, metal has a tendency to go up its own hole, it needs to be challenged now and again, so to does its fans, there's more to the music world than just metal

This is all true, even St Anger had a place in time, and looking back is still the experiment - the sound even - that needed to happen at that time. If nothing else it got people talking, engaging, questioning. Metallica can't die as long as that happens.

• Advertisement

This is all true, even St Anger had a place in time, and looking back is still the experiment - the sound even - that needed to happen at that time. If nothing else it got people talking, engaging, questioning. Metallica can't die as long as that happens.

st anger is an interesting one, the struggles of the band is written all over the album, particularly hetfields personal struggles. i actually have an astonishing level of respect for the band, particularly hetfield from this period. i cant think of any other band that has allowed such an intimate view of themselves during their personally worse stage in their lives, it was astonishingly honest. none of us will ever be in that kind of position in life, i.e. be extremely famous, and willing to show the world, we re really not okay here, and here, lets put cameras in front of us during it. you have to respect that, i could never see myself being able to do this. the band was clearly in an extremely vulnerable place during that period, but they still done it, that takes gigantic balls

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I watched Jason's interview again, the Scuzz one, and I know there are 3 sides to every story, but can't help but feel the band were assholes to him about recording other music, James especially from what I can gather.

Granadino wrote:
    I watched Jason's interview again, the Scuzz one, and I know there are 3 sides to every story, but can't help but feel the band were assholes to him about recording other music, James especially from what I can gather.

They treated him like **** for 14 years, no wonder he left, hetfield was a very controlling person during that period, he has mentioned his abandonment issues as being partially due to his behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭klose

Granadino wrote: »

That generally seems to be what everyone thinks, don't think I've ever seen anybody back the other members over newstead leaving the band.

Still think it's their loss in the grand scheme of things as his backing vocals were gnarly as hell, he used to sing entire songs I imagine Hatfield wouldn't mind that these days as he gets older.

klose wrote:
    Still think it's their loss in the grand scheme of things as his backing vocals were gnarly as hell, he used to sing entire songs I imagine Hatfield wouldn't mind that these days as he gets older.

I'd say hetfield and Co have moved on to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'd say hetfield and Co have moved on to be honest

Oh no doubt about it, just felt newstead added more to the the band than Trujillo because of his backing vocals.

klose wrote:
    Oh no doubt about it, just felt newstead added more to the the band than Trujillo because of his backing vocals.

Oh newstead was great, glad I got to see him a couple of times, but the band have moved on, love trujillos tone though, more lower end than newstead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Have you heard the ****e Newsted has produced since he left !????

JAYSUS !!! …..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

greenspurs wrote: »
    Have you heard the ****e Newsted has produced since he left !????

JAYSUS !!! …..

i thought 'Heavy Metal Music' was a cracking album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

scudzilla wrote: »
    i thought 'Heavy Metal Music' was a cracking album

It is.

Advertisement