Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I've an anonymous amount of respect for the man, not just because of his talents but more so about his openess with his struggles with addiction and mental health issues, many people in his position wouldn't be as open about such issues

Is that his house he's in? Looks fairly 'normal' and the bottom drawer in front of him broken and on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is that his house he's in? Looks fairly 'normal' and the bottom drawer in front of him broken and on the floor.

I suspect it is, he seems very grounded at times, he's very lucky his wife stuck with him, he'd be fcuked otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I know the guy is in his mid 50s now but by jesus he aged a lot the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bambi wrote: »
    I know the guy is in his mid 50s now but by jesus he aged a lot the last few years

Look at pics of him right at start of Hardwired tour, he looks great, then forward to the last few dates, he really does look a mess, bloated and red faced, hindsight is a wonderful thing

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

I think this was debated on Instagram, and supposedly it's the photographers house..?

• Advertisement

I think this was debated on Instagram, and supposedly it's the photographers house..?

He lives in Vail now, his kitchen is probably bigger than my gaff :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The band posted a tribute to the late Ennio Morricone a couple of hours ago.

https://twitter.com/Metallica/status/1280147408513404930

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The band posted a tribute to the late Ennio Morricone a couple of hours ago.

https://twitter.com/Metallica/status/1280147408513404930

one of the best Intro songs of all time

did they always have it, didnt they drop it for the 1996/1997 tour ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

PTH2009 wrote: »
    one of the best Intro songs of all time

did they always have it, didnt they drop it for the 1996/1997 tour ?

Seems that way from what I can see on Setlist. It also lead me to the Cunning Stunts gig https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/1997/tarrant-county-convention-center-fort-worth-tx-73d6da0d.html Couple of songs done twice in succession. Wonder what the crowd thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

feylya wrote: »
    Seems that way from what I can see on Setlist. It also lead me to the Cunning Stunts gig https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metallica/1997/tarrant-county-convention-center-fort-worth-tx-73d6da0d.html Couple of songs done twice in succession. Wonder what the crowd thought of that.

Still got 18 unique songs discounting the medley and bass doodles so while strange, doubt anyone cared too much.

• Advertisement

feylya wrote:
    Couple of songs done twice in succession. Wonder what the crowd thought of that.

Double takes would be common for recordings, crowd probably would have been pre warned. I've been at a couple of recordings, warnings of double takes were given before the recording

Ah, I get that it was a cracking setlist, and I get that double takes are common, but I imagine it's hard to go Horray the second time Lars goes "dun dun, dun dun, bum" for Bells when you've just finished listening to it. I guess that's why they do 2 nights nowadays.

feylya wrote:
    Ah, I get that it was a cracking setlist, and I get that double takes are common, but I imagine it's hard to go Horray the second time Lars goes "dun dun, dun dun, bum" for Bells when you've just finished listening to it. I guess that's why they do 2 nights nowadays.

The power of editing, rarely shows up in my experience, crowds can sometimes be louder on second takes, as we were encouraged to do so, and people were. it would be interesting to experience a major production like this though, I only experienced small Micky mouse things

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The power of editing, rarely shows up in my experience, crowds can sometimes be louder on second takes, as we were encouraged to do so, and people were. it would be interesting to experience a major production like this though, I only experienced small Micky mouse things

Oh editing is a wonderful thing. I can still pick out the differences between S&M2 when it was in the cinema, vs what I saw though. I'm just wondering about tracks from Load, given that album's reception, and the crowd being told "We ****ed it up. Let's go again"

feylya wrote:
    Oh editing is a wonderful thing. I can still pick out the differences between S&M2 when it was in the cinema, vs what I saw though. I'm just wondering about tracks from Load, given that album's reception, and the crowd being told "We ****ed it up. Let's go again"

I wouldn't notice jack ****, my eye wouldn't be that good. Load tour was actually my first ever gig, haven't listened to the album in years, but I do like it, admire them for taking big chances

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Ecstasy of gold into Blackened in 04 was my first experience of Metallica live and is still untouched as a intro.

D.Q wrote: »
    Ecstasy of gold into Blackened in 04 was my first experience of Metallica live and is still untouched as a intro.

yeah it was the same for the 2009 Marley Park show, my first experience was Ecstasy of gold into Creeping Death in the same venue in 2008

Its a handy intro as its an indication of move your ass (from the bar, bathrooms etc) the show is starting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

D.Q wrote: »

Ecstasy into Battery the year before. Crunching stuff

out of the 4 times ive seen them im still yet to hear 'Battery' 'Fuel' and 'Of Wolf And Man' live

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

out of the 4 times ive seen them im still yet to hear 'Battery' 'Fuel' and 'Of Wolf And Man' live

Latter one hardly surprising?

Have seen em three times and Fight Fire With Fire, Fade to Black & Blackened not amongst the songs:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Similar, been three times, never heard Battery, Roam or Fade to Black. But have heard Clover which I thought was weird. Just watching these Metallica Monday gigs, James dropped a lot of F-Bombs mid-song long after I had thought he’d stopped in my mind. Seems he still liked a fcuk or sh1t well into this decade. When did that all stop (other than when the lyrics call for it)?

yeah it was the same for the 2009 Marley Park show, my first experience was Ecstasy of gold into Creeping Death in the same venue in 2008

Its a handy intro as its an indication of move your ass (from the bar, bathrooms etc) the show is starting
    :D

Surely that would be this one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

scudzilla wrote: »
    Surely that would be this one

That's the one, you're doing it wrong if you're waiting for TEOG!

lord lucan wrote: »
    That's the one, you're doing it wrong if you're waiting for TEOG!

Didn't they change this to a Saxon song for a few tours??

In response to someone a fw posts up, they dropped 'Ecstacy' on the Load tour (Indoor), seen them 4 times indoors on this tour and always missed Ecstacy, didn't like how they just wandered on stage with full house lights on, maybe that was just me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

scudzilla wrote: »
    Didn't they change this to a Saxon song for a few tours??

In response to someone a fw posts up, they dropped 'Ecstacy' on the Load tour (Indoor), seen them 4 times indoors on this tour and always missed Ecstacy, didn't like how they just wandered on stage with full house lights on, maybe that was just me
    They used Heavy Metal Thunder by Saxon during the World Magnetic tour but went back to Long Way after. It's still funny to watch the die hards start buzzing when it comes on and everyone else is just chatting and taking selfies!

Missed TEOG during the Poor Touring Me era,it was strange to see them just stroll on stage and play half of the first song with the house lights on. Maybe the band just wanted a break from the usual routine but ultimately I think they missed the usual intro to a Metallica show and have never repeated it.

lord lucan wrote: »
    They used Heavy Metal Thunder by Saxon during the World Magnetic tour but went back to Long Way after. It's still funny to watch the die hards start buzzing when it comes on and everyone else is just chatting and taking selfies!

Missed TEOG during the Poor Touring Me era,it was strange to see them just stroll on stage and play half of the first song with the house lights on. Maybe the band just wanted a break from the usual routine but ultimately I think they missed the usual intro to a Metallica show and have never repeated it.

yeah, it's mad when Long way comes on and pockets of people everywhere go nuts and, like you say, others just chatting away.

Funniest i think was GnR at Slane, Looney Tunes intro comes on and our group of 6 went nuts, getting real strange looks from everyone around us :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

long way, TEOG- and then battery or blackend is enough to give a heart attack of excitement

i'm not big into consistency but that's one sequence of events i want kept the way it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Similar, been three times, never heard Battery, Roam or Fade to Black. But have heard Clover which I thought was weird. Just watching these Metallica Monday gigs, James dropped a lot of F-Bombs mid-song long after I had thought he’d stopped in my mind. Seems he still liked a fcuk or sh1t well into this decade. When did that all stop (other than when the lyrics call for it)?

Hetfield lost a lot of that anger he put forth on stage, calmed his energy a bit. Instead now we get The Metallica Family etc, and it's cringe.

I noticed in seeing them live however, a lot of the OOhs, AAhs, Fúcks etc, they were all in the exact same places in songs. Not that they were rehearsed, but had become part of the routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    [/B]

Hetfield lost a lot of that anger he put forth on stage, calmed his energy a bit. Instead now we get The Metallica Family etc, and it's cringe.

I noticed in seeing them live however, a lot of the OOhs, AAhs, Fúcks etc, they were all in the exact same places in songs. Not that they were rehearsed, but had become part of the routine.

when you have as many women (young and older) in your life as james does, you would get pulled up a lot on things like langauge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

when you have as many women (young and older) in your life as james does, you would get pulled up a lot on things like langauge!

Exactly, and I think the guys tend to have their kids backstage with them too, listening to the shows.

I remember one gig in the RDS (I think), it was a kids birthday, and Het brought the child out so we could sing happy birthday

Advertisement