Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

reminds me of meeting james unexpectedly on sth william st dublin when he was in a cast over the pyro incident.
    i went "hey james hows the arm?"
    he was a bit taken aback as i strolled over to him ( me larger) but i then said sorry, would see him at the gig and backed away seeing his unease.
    at that he said gettin better man and extended a hand, was cool so shook hands had a few words and i buggered off.

Dunno what he's like about signing stuff but i thought he was nice enough to a stray fan he met!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »
    In regards to Metallica,the only rule they have is if you happened to bump into James in the street and happened to have your ESP Explorer with you and wanted it signed,it'll be signed but you can't have a pic of him signing it. AFAIK that applies to the M&G's too. It's to do with guys using the pics to sell multiple guitars with fake sigs on Ebay and using the pic as provenance.

There was a guy in my class at school, met Dave Mustaine after a gig (maybe SFX in 2001) and asked him if he wanted to go to Fibbers - according to him Mustaine just smiled the menacing smile he does and said "that'd be too much like work" and walked off

There's a video I seen of even Axl Rose stopping to sign a guitar, so that technically makes him more approachable then Dave Mustaine

Here it is

Can't defend that coat though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Can't defend that coat though

Or that handle bar moustache. Dear god what was he thinking....

On the subject of Mustain being an asshole, there was a story going around last year when they played the Marquee down here and the band turned up to see a tribute to themselves in Fred's. Apparently, Dave stayed behind the mixing desk for the night, while the rest of the band mixed with the crowd. At the end when Dave was leaving someone asked him for an autograph and Dave took offence and apparently through him against the wall and said "not tonight". He did sort of mention it at the gig the next day, made some excuse, but still an asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,820 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Punchestown is being mentioned now.

Why cant they play somewhere with a stand lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Punchestown is being mentioned now.

Why cant they play somewhere with a stand lol

Source? Fairyhouse was mentioned prior to the gig in 2009, but MCD got their grubby little mits on it and changed it to Marlay Park. This is the reason why I didn't go second time 'round. Marlay is a **** venue for a gig imo - due to the planning/infrastructure in this city.

• Advertisement

punchestown is worse, anyone remember ac/dc?

councils are a joke, care only about the income it generates.

what about aviva? they could do the in the round gig there and with the big 4 defo sellout?

punchestown is worse, anyone remember ac/dc?

councils are a joke, care only about the income it generates.

what about aviva? they could do the in the round gig there and with the big 4 defo sellout?

That would be cool? What's the sound like in there for gigs? I remember hearing from someone who attended the M****** B**** concert there, that the sound was atrocious......?

no idea what the sound would be like, would imagine metallica have an expert crew with them though.
    one line array not to much unlike another....

they should just do a week in the point:P

I was just thinking:

Does anyone remember the "Wherever We May Roam" mega tour?? IIRC, they had 3 stages on the go during that tour!? For instance, when they were playing their gig in the Point, the crew would be setting up the stage(s) in the next two cities. Couldn't they do something similar for this tour, seeing that there are 4 bands on it, and it's a big undertaking???

Also, I saw a gap in the schedule between the German & Italian dates. Surely it wouldn't be much hassle for them to come over here in between those dates? Failing that, they could play here on their way back to USA after the French gig, which is on July 9th??

http://www.metallica.com/page.asp?id=13367

they should just do a week in the point:P

The where? Ah no, I'm messing, but think of a day when people will say that...:(

Think bigger,a month in Vicar Street

• Advertisement

The where? Ah no, I'm messing, but think of a day when people will say that...:(

Think bigger,a month in Vicar Street

That would be cool. The foundations of the place would probably collapse after their first song, though!!?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I was just thinking:

Does anyone remember the "Wherever We May Roam" mega tour?? IIRC, they had 3 stages on the go during that tour!? For instance, when they were playing their gig in the Point, the crew would be setting up the stage(s) in the next two cities. Couldn't they do something similar for this tour, seeing that there are 4 bands on it, and it's a big undertaking???

Also, I saw a gap in the schedule between the German & Italian dates. Surely it wouldn't be much hassle for them to come over here in between those dates? Failing that, they could play here on their way back to USA after the French gig, which is on July 9th??

http://www.metallica.com/page.asp?id=13367

Even on there recent indoor and outdoor tours they usually have 2 stage sets on the go leapfrogging each other around Europe.

At the moment it looks like this short burst will be done and dusted in Europe in a 2 week period. Wouldn't rule out an Irish date just yet(not at Punchestown though,it's a feckin' hole!).

Failing that, they could play here on their way back to USA after the French gig, which is on July 9th??

You'd have to exclude Megadeth, who are booked to begin the Mayhem tour on July 10th in California (Megadeth themselves are one of the headliners and miss the first date but join the tour on the second date in the USA which means they'll prob be flying back before Metallica hit the stage in France)

You'd have to exclude Megadeth, who are booked to begin the Mayhem tour on July 10th in California (Megadeth themselves are one of the headliners and miss the first date but join the tour on the second date in the USA which means they'll prob be flying back before Metallica hit the stage in France)

Good!!! :D The Big 3 will do for me then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

After AC/DC I'll never go to a gig in Punchestown again, no matter who's playing.

After AC/DC I'll never go to a gig in Punchestown again, no matter who's playing.

I'm glad to hear that. People need to send a message to Irish concert promoters that they can't simply mess us around any longer by expecting us to accept the disgraceful treatment\organisation and security some events bring. It is genuinely refreshing to see someone on this board make a stand against this kind of thing.

The problem with holding concerts in this country is that our cities are unable to handle crowds of 40,000 plus due to s***e planning, s***e organisation etc, and our road networks also being s***e!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

The problem with holding concerts in this country is that our cities are unable to handle crowds of 40,000 plus due to s***e planning, s***e organisation etc, and our road networks also being s***e!!!
    +1

posters are criticising (justifiably) Punchestown but Marlay Park is as bad if not worse.....

Max Power1 wrote: »
    +1

posters are criticising (justifiably) Punchestown but Marlay Park is as bad if not worse.....

+1 million. Went there for 'Tallica in '08, and will never go to that venue again. Getting in/out of the place was just horrible - made the mistake of taking our own car to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

+1 million. Went there for 'Tallica in '08, and will never go to that venue again. Getting in/out of the place was just horrible - made the mistake of taking our own car to it.
    I did that for Green Day last year, nightmare getting out.

So whats the latest news on the last Big 4 announcement??

• Advertisement

There is no latest news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

never was and never will happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Thats exactly what I said after that gig aswell............

.........still went in 09 though :o

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I said after that gig aswell............

.........still went in 09 though :o

LOL. I spent over an hour queueing in that little lane on the way into the arena(sitting in a ****ing wheelchair), and it was no fun let me tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

LOL. I spent over an hour queueing in that little lane on the way into the arena(sitting in a ****ing wheelchair), and it was no fun let me tell you.

Does anyone remember at the 08 gig how the front entrance was closed off, and people had to go the long way around to get into the concert. Spent about two hours to 2 and a half hours queing to get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

never was and never will happen

As much as it pains me to say it there's no chance at all of a Big 4 show on Irish soil.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember at the 08 gig how the front entrance was closed off, and people had to go the long way around to get into the concert. Spent about two hours to 2 and a half hours queing to get in

Yeah, missed most of Tenacious D, queued for about 90 mins, fcukin ridiculous.

As for the car parking, i had a sneaky little trick on that score.

When i moved over here 5yrs ago i worked for Sword Event Guard for a month, did various shows at Marley Park and The Point, i just drove into Metallica and told them i was working for Swords and was gonna park in staff park, it's right next to disabled car park, 2 mins from arena entrance and a much easier drive out at end of night :-)

Funny story from one of them Marley Park shows, SnowPatrol were headlining and i was put on to the entrance door to the bands management/production area, told to not allow access to ANYBODY without the right pass.

About 5pm this guy comes up and starts to walk in, i fcuk him off telling him he aint got the right pass, he kept saying he had to get in there as his pass was with the tour manager, likely story i said, now fcuk off.

Was Gary Lightfoot, Singer of SnowPatrol :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fair play to him though, he never once said "Do you know who i am", and they must have been happy cos at the end of the gig they gave me a SnowPatrol goodie bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I must be the only one that had no issues with Metallica at Marley Park in 09, we had a few cans outside and strolled in before Mastodon, no queues. I thought everyone left in an orderly fashion, we went up to Taylors pub to wait for a bus.

Punchestown for AC/DC was a nightmare setup to get to and I live in Newbridge, I honestly think that was the worst, Slane for Oasis was quite bad too but not as bad as AC/DC

Nea wrote: »
    I must be the only one that had no issues with Metallica at Marley Park in 09, we had a few cans outside and strolled in before Mastodon, no queues. I thought everyone left in an orderly fashion, we went up to Taylors pub to wait for a bus.

Punchestown for AC/DC was a nightmare setup to get to and I live in Newbridge, I honestly think that was the worst, Slane for Oasis was quite bad too but not as bad as AC/DC

09 was fine for getting in, was 08 that was the nightmare.

Think that was mainly due to a lot more bands in 09, hence a lot of the kids went early and were in early

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    09 was fine for getting in, was 08 that was the nightmare.
    Think that was mainly due to a lot more bands in 09, hence a lot of the kids went early and were in early

'Twas indeed. ****ing horrible. I rang MCD and ranted at the woman on the other end of the line for half an hour, but they didn't give a **** as they already had my money! :mad:

Advertisement