Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I think I would get sick in my hat and eat it if the Big 4 or 3 of them played Oxegen, it isn't their kind of fest. Sure their wasn't even a packed audience for RATM when they headlined a few years ago.
    And would Oxegen really affect the amount of people at a Big 4 that much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I really don't get why people are saying that IF a Big 4 show does go ahead here why it can't be on the same weekend as Oxygen. They would attract totally different corwds and I don't think that there would be many people who would be interested in going to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Can't see that vid.

EDIT: That's cool. Just saw it now. Also, I have heard(from a very good source), that there are NO PLANS for the Big 4 to play Ireland this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

EDIT: That's cool. Just saw it now. Also, I have heard(from a very good source), that there are NO PLANS for the Big 4 to play Ireland this summer.

That's a shame, seems at this stage, that they've earmarked everywhere except for some minor dates...but they need to announce them soon because money doesn't grow on trees and people want to make plans

Personally, I think I want to scrap any plans to see Metallica perform this year unless they do a show on their own, after that I think I'll concentrate on the wealth of other acts I've never seen live before...Metallica are making it pretty hard to be seen this year and Sonisphere with their no day ticket bull**** isn't helping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I really don't get why people are saying that IF a Big 4 show does go ahead here why it can't be on the same weekend as Oxygen. They would attract totally different corwds and I don't think that there would be many people who would be interested in going to both.
    No i think all the metallica gigs so far, have required curious people and friends of metalllica fans to sell out...

• Advertisement

No i think all the metallica gigs so far, have required curious people and friends of metalllica fans to sell out...

Not all of them...........the last couple maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

That's a shame, seems at this stage, that they've earmarked everywhere except for some minor dates...but they need to announce them soon because money doesn't grow on trees and people want to make plans

Personally, I think I want to scrap any plans to see Metallica perform this year unless they do a show on their own, after that I think I'll concentrate on the wealth of other acts I've never seen live before...Metallica are making it pretty hard to be seen this year and Sonisphere with their no day ticket bull**** isn't helping

I'd put money on a limited amount of Day tickets being available from around early/mid May.

They want to sell weekend tickets at the moment and by putting day tickets on sale now it will impact sales of weekend tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'd put money on a limited amount of Day tickets being available from around early/mid May.

They want to sell weekend tickets at the moment and by putting day tickets on sale now it will impact sales of weekend tickets.
    Hasnt it always been like that? They sell the weekend tickets only first and then the day tickets get released?

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Hasnt it always been like that? They sell the weekend tickets only first and then the day tickets get released?

yeah, but people are actually believing that there will be no day tickets

Max Power1 wrote: »

No way in hell am I goin to Oxegen. **** that.

• Advertisement

No way in hell am I goin to Oxegen. **** that.

There's no need for you to go

Then again, the Manic Street Preachers could be performing...

There's no need for you to go

Then again, the Manic Street Preachers could be performing...

Another reason not to go...................:-)

Ah come on....;)

Good morning masterofmetallica!

Not all of them...........the last couple maybe?
    all of them...

The organisers of the Download Festival in Britain have apparently decided not to book Metallica for this year's event because they think they're too boring.

Festival bosses think the band tour too often for people to remain interested in them.

Metallica played at Download in 2004 and 2006, but were dropped this time round in favour of Def Leppard.

Organiser Andy Copping says Metallica need to go away for a few years and then make a big comeback.

Source : http://www.phantomfm.com/entertainment/from-the-newsdesk/6804-metallica-are-too-boring.html

That just confirms to me how out of touch Copping is with the fans, the guy is a complet and utter cock

IMO this is just sour grapes because Sonisphere booked Metallica

Copping CONSTANTLY regurgitates headline bands (Def Leppard the most recent example), CONSTANTLY has the same bands on , year in , year out.

If they had booked Metallica for this year they'd have got the Big 4, a BIG achievement for any festival

The organisers of the Download Festival in Britain have apparently decided not to book Metallica for this year's event because they think they're too boring.

Festival bosses think the band tour too often for people to remain interested in them.

Metallica played at Download in 2004 and 2006, but were dropped this time round in favour of Def Leppard.

Organiser Andy Copping says Metallica need to go away for a few years and then make a big comeback.

Source : http://www.phantomfm.com/entertainment/from-the-newsdesk/6804-metallica-are-too-boring.html

That just confirms to me how out of touch Copping is with the fans, the guy is a complet and utter cock

IMO this is just sour grapes because Sonisphere booked Metallica

Copping CONSTANTLY regurgitates headline bands (Def Leppard the most recent example), CONSTANTLY has the same bands on , year in , year out.

If they had booked Metallica for this year they'd have got the Big 4, a BIG achievement for any festival
    lol

lol

That's actually wrong, Metallica played in 2003, 2004 & 2006!!!

Makes the crap he's spouting even more ironic!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Metallica wouldn't have played Download. They own quite a large stake in the Sonisphere Festivals which is why the Big 4 play them. Metallica wouldn't play Download and then play Sonisphere a month later. I call bollocks on that article tbh.

http://twitter.com/#!/Maverick_AC/status/45393965075279872

@thedarkworm I haven't booked them every year & I didn't say Metallica were boring...do your research...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Linkin Park (again), SOAD (again) and Def Leppard (again)...

Yeah thats WAY more exciting than the big 4. The hype leading up to The Def Leppard announcement was incredible considering the disappointment. People were thinking Pearl Jam, SoundGarden etc, instead they were saddled with a pretty much irrelevant band from the eighties.

I am so so glad I did not buy a Download ticket this year. Sonisphere are ****ing raping them.

• Advertisement

So i got very pissed off with Andy Copping dissing Metallica like that, i sent him a message on Facebook, here's how it went

FROM ME

So you wouldn't book Metallica this year because you find them boring?

Is this just sour grapes because Sonisphere have them lined up?

I've been going to Donington since 1985 and went for the final time 2 years ago, never again will i go, and that goes for plenty of my mates too, as we all seem to think you've lost touch with what Donington actually means to the fans.

Sometimes more bands IS NOT the way forward, you're forgetting that people go for the love of music, not any of the fancy **** you try to add.

The walks between arena's is ball aching, the trek back to the campsites is horrendous, the price of the food/drink is extortionate.

I guess this will just all be ignored though.

Thanks for reading....if you have

REPLY BY ANDY 14 MINS LATER

You are ill-informed and ignorant...the attendances at Download prove you are totally wrong...I'm more than happy to continue the successful route I have followed for this great festival. If you are never going to come again then it is your loss...I am sorry to hear that. It is your choice.

For the record, I did not say Metallica were boring. Also, I certainly don't have sour grapes over any other festival that has so very obviously tried to copy what we have achieved at Download but that is one pitfalls of being a very successful entity.

Thanks for your comments and for reading

Andy

FROM ME
    Here's the link where i read it, the biggest rock radio station in Dublin

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.phantomfm.com%2Fentertainment%2Ffrom-the-newsdesk%2F6804-metallica-are-too-boring.html&h=680ff60FkRS1xbm705DakdsHr2g

FROM ANDY

Don't believe everything you read Darren & I'm sure you're already aware of that. I was hideously mis-quoted and certainly would not NOT book Metallica..I love the band!

I appreciate your passionate enough to write to me

Andy .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

lol

It is a comedic article.

First, he claims Metallica should get a "real" comeback. Id hope it is not lost on him that SOAD are completely living on past glory. They released a double album weeks before they headlined Download 2005. They have released nothing since. Def Leppard are another regurgitated headliner, while Linkin Park dont hold a candle to any of the big four.

Sonsiphere has a more exciting, and diverse lineup. Even excluding the likes of Mastodon and Motorhead, between the Big Four, Slipknot, and Limp Bizkit, Sonisphere has blown Download out of the water.

You are ill-informed and ignorant...

Great way to treat a fan who has spent thousands travelling to his festival for over 20 odd years. You're a paying customer and his response to you is appalling. I would doubt whether this is the real Andy.
    For the record, I did not say Metallica were boring.

Well, he did, I mean he could claim next he didn't know the person he was talking to was a Journalist - then again, he could stop answering random Facebook emails to people thereby allowing them to use quotes and prove source - that way he wouldn't come across as such a dick.

I'm just waiting for this guy to announce that he's going to call the 3rd stage the 'Mike Starr Memorial Stage' now at this years festival. This guy is a ****** and I don't go to line his pockets I only go for the music.

Great way to treat a fan who has spent thousands travelling to his festival for over 20 odd years. You're a paying customer and his response to you is appalling. I would doubt whether this is the real Andy.

Well, he did, I mean he could claim next he didn't know the person he was talking to was a Journalist - then again, he could stop answering random Facebook emails to people thereby allowing them to use quotes and prove source - that way he wouldn't come across as such a dick.

I'm just waiting for this guy to announce that he's going to call the 3rd stage the 'Mike Starr Memorial Stage' now at this years festival. This guy is a ****** and I don't go to line his pockets I only go for the music.

It's 100% his page for sure

It's 100% his page for sure

He's an absolute disgrace, I doubt Metallica even wanted to play Download this year, given the prospect of a Big Four date and making more money with Sonisphere and around Europe that way

However, I would be interested to know why Metallica have ignored their 30th year completely - to me, as a Metallica fan, it's more important to see Metallica on their own celebrating their 30 years together. I would find that more important, and would like to know what their manager was telling Classic Rock last year, then a Big Four show.

He's an absolute disgrace, I doubt Metallica even wanted to play Download this year, given the prospect of a Big Four date and making more money with Sonisphere and around Europe that way

However, I would be interested to know why Metallica have ignored their 30th year completely - to me, as a Metallica fan, it's more important to see Metallica on their own celebrating their 30 years together. I would find that more important, and would like to know what their manager was telling Classic Rock last year, then a Big Four show.

I'm sure Mensch/Burnstein had plans but after the Big 4 show, and the clamour for more dates worldwide, they would have shelved those plans for future use.

I'm sure they'll mark the 30th anniversary of the band privately, as there are only 2 original members left in the band. Didn't Mensch & Burnstein mention something about 11 special shows worldwide???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I'm sure they'll mark the 30th anniversary of the band privately, as there are only 2 original members left in the band. Didn't Mensch & Burnstein mention something about 11 special shows worldwide???

The fact that they have not started this "Big Four" tour yet means that we cannot be sure what type of show they will put on ! It has been 30 years since their inception, 20 years since their most successful record and tour. We will get something cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I reckon last year there was discussion with Q Prime about doing something 'special' for the 30th anniversary,hence Mensch's hint at a special tour. I think that after the Big 4 dates last summer that the vibe was good and the band have decided to shelve that little plan in favour of more Big 4 dates. The Big 4 dates this summer are relatively short so there's room in late summer for something else.

There's also this little 'project' they're recording in may which could possibly tie in with it.

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    There's also this little 'project' they're recording in may which could possibly tie in with it.

Oh yes, that's something I want to hear:D

Advertisement