Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Jeez...slipped off the first page there for a second :P

Haven't seen much talk about S&M in here, great album
    One of my favourite songs off it for me is Devil's Dance, I think Kamen does a really good job of composing the symphony for this...works so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Beekay wrote: »

One of my favourite songs off it for me is Devil's Dance, I think Kamen does a really good job of composing the symphony for this...works so well.

Absolutely, great album, and this is one of the stand-out tracks on it - really improved from the studio version, mind you, I've always liked Load and felt it had some of their best material (Bleeding Me, Hero Of The Day, Devil's Dance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Absolutely, great album, and this is one of the stand-out tracks on it - really improved from the studio version, mind you, I've always liked Load and felt it had some of their best material (Bleeding Me, Hero Of The Day, Devil's Dance)

An honourable mention must go to Outlaw Torn from Load too!? Great song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

An honourable mention must go to Outlaw Torn from Load too!? Great song.
    Beekay wrote: »
    Jeez...slipped off the first page there for a second :P

Possibly my favourite new era metallica song.

I also think it was one of the best S&M songs (that sounds like an innuendo but you know what i mean). The arrangements really suited what is naturally quite a melodic song anyway.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Possibly my favourite new era metallica song.

I also think it was one of the best S&M songs (that sounds like an innuendo but you know what i mean). The arrangements really suited what is naturally quite a melodic song anyway.

Bleeding Me is my fave new era Metallica song - even though it's 15 years old now!!!!!! :eek:

• Advertisement

Bleeding Me is my fave new era Metallica song - even though it's 15 years old now!!!!!! :eek:

Songs like that should not be forgotten, sometimes I wish Metallica would take a leaf out of Maiden's book and purposely tour to utilize the material from specific albums. Can you imagine - KEM, RTL and MOP only show - followed by AJFA, Black shows (throw in a few B sides and covers from Garage Days and maybe invite Jason back lol) and then Load/ReLoad tour finally followed by a covers tour where they play nothing but Metallica retuned covers...that is the way forward for this band on tour, and they don't even have to release a new album during it lol

Or at least play 10 nights in Madison Square Garden or some other world famous venue, dedicate each night to an album and tape the whole thing for those who can't make it

Songs like that should not be forgotten, sometimes I wish Metallica would take a leaf out of Maiden's book and purposely tour to utilize the material from specific albums. Can you imagine - KEM, RTL and MOP only show - followed by AJFA, Black shows (throw in a few B sides and covers from Garage Days and maybe invite Jason back lol) and then Load/ReLoad tour finally followed by a covers tour where they play nothing but Metallica retuned covers...that is the way forward for this band on tour, and they don't even have to release a new album during it lol

Or at least play 10 nights in Madison Square Garden or some other world famous venue, dedicate each night to an album and tape the whole thing for those who can't make it

F***in hell :eek: that would be one short set!!!! I couldn't imagine them playing too many songs live from ReLoad??? Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much filler on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I would kill to see Fixxer live . . .

F***in hell :eek: that would be one short set!!!! I couldn't imagine them playing too many songs live from ReLoad??? Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much filler on it.

That's the very point, the dedicated sets would mean the band could experiment with songs from Load and ReLoad...people who don't want to hear it don't need to attend - but I for one would love to hear some extended material from ReLoad

I mean these guys spent months, maybe years, writing individual songs that became tracks on albums - and then the public decide their favourites based on what the record label says they should release as singles - and some of these amazing compositions are just never performed live and others are left as forgotten filler....such a shame....

That's the very point, the dedicated sets would mean the band could experiment with songs from Load and ReLoad...people who don't want to hear it don't need to attend - but I for one would love to hear some extended material from ReLoad

I mean these guys spent months, maybe years, writing individual songs that became tracks on albums - and then the public decide their favourites based on what the record label says they should release as singles - and some of these amazing compositions are just never performed live and others are left as forgotten filler....such a shame....

What's the link there? Won't open for me? Personally, I think Reload is chock full of filler, only a couple of decent tracks on it.

• Advertisement

What's the link there? Won't open for me? Personally, I think Reload is chock full of filler, only a couple of decent tracks on it.
    Obviously, because its the reject songs from Load!

Apart from Memory remains, fuel, and maybe where the wild things are, the rest of the songs are not the best. But as an album its still not a bad album, just not up to the standard of the rest of the metallica back catalogue.

It's Low Man's Lyric live

I would kill to see Fixxer live . . .

I believe the nearest we ever got was the Fixxxer/Die Die My Darling Jam at Woodstock 1999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I believe the nearest we ever got was the Fixxxer/Die Die My Darling Jam at Woodstock 1999

Got the same jam in Dublin in '99 too.:)

Always reckoned that Attitude:

and Bad Seed:

from ReLoad would be savage live.

Bad Seed (in it's embryonic stage)was used as an intro on Cunning Stunts and for many North American dates of the Poor Touring Me Tour. By the time they got to Dublin they were using Memory Remains.

I had always wondered what that intro from Cunning Stunts was meant to be, there is no excuse for not having known however!:p

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Obviously, because its the reject songs from Load!

Apart from Memory remains, fuel, and maybe where the wild things are, the rest of the songs are not the best. But as an album its still not a bad album, just not up to the standard of the rest of the metallica back catalogue.

The first four songs and WTWTA are decent songs, but the rest of that album is cack imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I quite like reload. Its the only 'tallica album i have on tape and it got played to **** when i got it. Everything exept low mans lyric is a decent song. Prince charming is a seriously underrated song, the riff is a bit deep purple influenced but the only thing that annoys me are Kirks solo's are a bit boring on the album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich has been cast in an HBO drama also starring Nicole Kidman and Clive Owen. The film, called "Hemingway And Gellhorn", is described as "a drama centered on the romance between Ernest Hemingway and WWII correspondent Martha Gellhorn, Hemingway's inspiration for "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and the only woman who ever asked for a divorce from the writer." Ulrich will play Dutch documentarian Joris Ivens in the TV movie.

The first photo of Ulrich on the "Hemingway And Gellhorn" set can be seen on RollingStone.com.

This will be Ulrich's first substantial role in a feature film after making a cameo as himself in 2010's Russell Brand comedy "Get Him To The Greek". He also appeared in the 2004 documentary about METALLICA, "Some Kind Of Monster".

Ulrich is due back in the studio in May with METALLICA to begin recording a yet-to-be-revealed new project, which guitarist Kirk Hammett described to RollingStone.com.com as "more a recording project than a bona fide METALLICA album."

The band has also scheduled several more "Big Four" tour dates, including one in Indio, California on April 23.

When asked about acting in "Get Him to the Greek", Lars said in a 2010 interview, "It was so much fun. I mean, they sent the script and I learned my lines. And when I showed up on the set, none of it mattered — they just took the script and threw it away. We were just improvising and having fun and insulting each other, and it was a great time. Russell, obviously, is a stand-up comedian, first and foremost, or at least he started as a stand-up comedian, so it's all just improvising."

So i'm thinking it's not gonna be new Metallica Material, more likely either covers or re-recording (my bet) some old Metalli-faves

Heard on Radio Nova this morning that Warner Bros(Metallica's record label)may be purchased by the guy who owns Napster!?

We all know what happened between that company and Mr Ulrich, now don't we!? Should be interesting to see how it turns out.............?

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    So i'm thinking it's not gonna be new Metallica Material, more likely either covers or re-recording (my bet) some old Metalli-faves

DOnt think its going to be re-recording old stuff. Didnt they always say how they never look back etc and that a greatest hits album is only released by old past it bands?

IMHO think it will be a sort of "garage inc 2" so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Heard on Radio Nova this morning that Warner Bros(Metallica's record label)may be purchased by the guy who owns Napster!?

We all know what happened between that company and Mr Ulrich, now don't we!? Should be interesting to see how it turns out.............?
    Hasn't Metallica finished their contract with Warner Brothers? They had a contract to release a certain number of albums through them and Death Magnetic was the last one

Hasn't Metallica finished their contract with Warner Brothers? They had a contract to release a certain number of albums through them and Death Magnetic was the last one

Dunno?

lord lucan wrote: »
    Always reckoned that Attitude:

and Bad Seed:

from ReLoad would be savage live.

Bad Seed (in it's embryonic stage)was used as an intro on Cunning Stunts and for many North American dates of the Poor Touring Me Tour. By the time they got to Dublin they were using Memory Remains.

IMO, those are two of the worst songs that they have ever written. The only good thing about Bad Seed was/is the heavy as **** signature Hetfield riff on it.

DM was the last album on their WB contract. They haven't re-signed to WB,they said they would weigh up their options including releasing material themselves rather than through a record label.

IMO, those are two of the worst songs that they have ever written. The only good thing about Bad Seed was/is the heavy as **** signature Hetfield riff on it.

Horse for courses i suppose. I never understand the love for Fixxxer and WTWTA. Better Than You even won a grammy!!:eek::eek:

Horse for courses i suppose. I never understand the love for Fixxxer and WTWTA. Better Than You even won a grammy!!:eek::eek:

There probably wasn't any other nominees that year!!? :pac:

Both songs are better than BTY, imo.

There probably wasn't any other nominees that year!!? :pac:

Jethro Tull.:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Jethro Tull.:pac::pac:

PMSL - remember that!!!!!??

Advertisement