Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

PMSL - remember that!!!!!??

It became a running joke with the band for years. You couldn't make it up!:D

For those who don't know what we're on about,Jethro Tull,a folk musician famed for his flute(:pac:) won the grammy for best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal album over Metallicas AJFA in 1989.

IIRC the band thanked him for not releasing an anything when they won best album for TBA in '91.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

lord lucan wrote: »
    It became a running joke with the band for years. You couldn't make it up!:D

For those who don't know what we're on about,Jethro Tull,a folk musician famed for his flute(:pac:) won the grammy for best Hard Rock/Heavy Metal album over Metallicas AJFA in 1989.

IIRC the band thanked him for not releasing an anything when they won best album for TBA in '91.:D

Also I think it was Alice Cooper announcing the winner, everybody expected him to announce Metallica but when he opened the envelope the whole place went quiet, even Alice looked/sounded shocked

scudzilla wrote: »
    Also I think it was Alice Cooper announcing the winner, everybody expected him to announce Metallica but when he opened the envelope the whole place went quiet, even Alice looked/sounded shocked

Not entirely sure but i think that may have been the first year they had a Hard Rock/Heavy Metal category. Obviously the old fuddy duddies at the Grammy's weren't too well up on this new breakout genre!:pac:

Lol,here we go:

And the Metallica riposte.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Thanks for posting those videos. I think the second one is on one of the Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica movies but I hadn't seen the first one before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Not entirely sure but i think that may have been the first year they had a Hard Rock/Heavy Metal category.

The award won by Jethro Tull was actually the Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental - only ever given once, in 1989, and the other nominees that year asides from Metallica were Iggy Pop, AC/DC and Jane's Addiction. Due to the embarrassment the award was then split in half.

The Grammy for Best Hard Rock Performance began in 1990, the first nominees included Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith and Motley Crue - all beaten by Living Colour

A year later Motley Crue, Jane's Addiction, Faith No More and AC/DC all lost out - again to Living Colour:mad:

Also in 1990, the Grammy's began Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance and this is what Metallica have won six times since

Oddly enough most of the artists nominated (with the exception of the winners) in the first category would have been more associated with the second

Sadly, they have removed the Grammy Award for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance and Grammy Award for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance since 2004 but do still award the Grammy Award for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal

Does anyone actually pay attention to the grammy's?

There was that one guy....but he's dead now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

The what now?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's like a school sports day. There's a prize for everyone. They have so many categories - Best rock song by a bloke standing on one leg etc.

• Advertisement

Creeping Death and the Ten Commandments!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mobitron

It's like a school sports day. There's a prize for everyone. They have so many categories - Best rock song by a bloke standing on one leg etc.

Didn't Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull used to play the flute on one leg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

New Metallica website is pretty sweet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Creeping Death and the Ten Commandments!:)

Hehe That works very well as a soundtrack.

On a semi related note, The Ten Commandments is out on blu ray and it looks amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Yeah it's a lot better then the way it used to look, IMO

It is, yes:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Triple H to use a Metallica song as his entrance music in his match against the Undertaker at Wrestlemania according to their facebook page. Rumours circulating that they''ll be there to play it live.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Bloody hell, the new version of the Metallica site is broken to feck. Says I'm not a Metclub member then says I need to be a member to buy a membership...

Degag wrote: »
    Triple H to use a Metallica song as his entrance music in his match against the Undertaker at Wrestlemania according to their facebook page. Rumours circulating that they''ll be there to play it live.

New song? Old song? From Whom the Bell Tolls is for my money:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Not sure if this has been posted here before, pretty good parody of Metallica and they take it fairly well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

There's a great interview with him and the New Metallica up on metallica.com. Worth watching. About 30 minutes long.

I'm still eager to hear about this project? Anyone hear anything about Day tickets for Sonisphere - they really shot themselves in the foot with that one.

I'm still eager to hear about this project? Anyone hear anything about Day tickets for Sonisphere - they really shot themselves in the foot with that one.

Not really shot themselves in foot, they woulda been stupid announcing day ticket sales as it would hammer weekend ticket sales.
    They'll put day tickets on sale about a month before, wit Big 4 day tickets about £20 dearer than the other 2 days.
    Anybody fancy a bet on that?

scudzilla wrote: »
    Not really shot themselves in foot, they woulda been stupid announcing day ticket sales as it would hammer weekend ticket sales.
    They'll put day tickets on sale about a month before, wit Big 4 day tickets about £20 dearer than the other 2 days.
    Anybody fancy a bet on that?

I'm banking on them doing that. I've ZERO interest in the other 2 days and won't spend the money on a weekend ticket just to go on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 thedaveman

It's interesting to see a classic and the band evolve over the years -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mark86

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted here before, pretty good parody of Metallica and they take it fairly well.

take what well, tongue down the throat? dick up the ass? this was a meta$$ica tribute show right.. what a disgusting do. bloated music business get together ego-massage of the highest order is not parody

its typical there's only a metallica 'superthread'. but then i wouldn't want retarded fanboys in numbers all over my favourite childhood of choice prompting a containment vessel thread, so f**k it. many retards in this life n they have made these scumbags amongst the biggest grossers in the music biz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

mark86 wrote: »
    take what well, tongue down the throat? dick up the ass? this was a meta$$ica tribute show right.. what a disgusting do. bloated music business get together ego-massage of the highest order is not parody

its typical there's only a metallica 'superthread'. but then i wouldn't want retarded fanboys in numbers all over my favourite childhood of choice prompting a containment vessel thread, so f**k it. many retards in this life n they have made these scumbags amongst the biggest grossers in the music biz.

I take it your not a big fan of Metallica then...:pac:

If you had bothered to look, there are many treads dedicated to all types of different bands. But, then again, I guess you are just too metal for us people who actually like the band.

mark86 wrote: »

Awesome that you've made it to this appreciation thread, you seem like a long time closet Metallifan, just join in and post some Metallica awesomeness and you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mark86

the man from del monte says nomnomnomnom..

67f291b050b516b1c6e7c78682f03204.jpg

awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

too easy mark, you can do better?

Advertisement