Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I probably should do more but for now...
    HomerEatingPopcorn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

mark86 wrote: »
    the man from del monte says nomnomnomnom..

67f291b050b516b1c6e7c78682f03204.jpg

awesome.

You must have know about this picture to go looking for it, i wouldn't have said it's the most flattering pic of the guys to post but whatever floats your boat i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

would love to have seen james' face when he saw that all the same:D

feckin wind up merchants:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mark86

scudzilla wrote: »
    You must have know about this picture to go looking for it, i wouldn't have said it's the most flattering pic of the gays to post but whatever floats your boat i guess

FYS.

keep digging..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

mark86 wrote: »
    FYS.

keep digging..

Was hoping i didn't have to get this out

trollspray.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Even fanboys can laugh at the band. I love this!:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mark86

eesh, look what the cat dragged in. that is Poison to my eyes

and ears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Interesting interview with Lars:

"Dave Lombardo is God!"

On members of the four bands — Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax — getting up on stage at jamming on Diamond Head's "Am I Evil?" in Sofia, Bulgaria in July 2010:

Ulrich: There was a time, sure, when there was a competitive edge to all of us, but I really don't feel that anymore. No matter how much anybody will push it in the press, or how many people don't buy it, I can tell you hand-on-heart that there's no competitive edge. It's not a bunch of 27-year-olds trying to see who's got the biggest dick. Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, we all kind of have our own little niche, our own little unique place. So it's not sorta like, Who's better at this? 'Cause at the end of the day, we all do our own thing. And when it comes to drums, Dave Lombardo [Slayer] is, by far and away, God. There's no competitive edge, but if there was, Dave would win. Lombardo could kick the rest of our asses with just a whip of his little finger. So there was no competitive edge. That's the thing that I can truly say is the biggest difference now.

http://www.megadeth.com/home_popup.php?news_id=1899

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

"Dave Lombardo is God!"

On members of the four bands — Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax — getting up on stage at jamming on Diamond Head's "Am I Evil?" in Sofia, Bulgaria in July 2010:

Ulrich: There was a time, sure, when there was a competitive edge to all of us, but I really don't feel that anymore. No matter how much anybody will push it in the press, or how many people don't buy it, I can tell you hand-on-heart that there's no competitive edge. It's not a bunch of 27-year-olds trying to see who's got the biggest dick. Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, we all kind of have our own little niche, our own little unique place. So it's not sorta like, Who's better at this? 'Cause at the end of the day, we all do our own thing. And when it comes to drums, Dave Lombardo [Slayer] is, by far and away, God. There's no competitive edge, but if there was, Dave would win. Lombardo could kick the rest of our asses with just a whip of his little finger. So there was no competitive edge. That's the thing that I can truly say is the biggest difference now.

They've all grown up/cleaned up etc., so there is no animosity between them now.

I would give my right arm for Big 4 show in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

"Dave Lombardo is God!"

Hate to tell ya Lars, but you never were any sort of competition to the best drummers that played with the other bands from the "Big Four"

Lombardo, Bostaph, Benante, Menza, and Samuelson (RIP) were all leagues ahead of him, and the opening trio from that list are still excellent drummers who added a lot more to their styles since the 80's/90's, unlike Lars who has declined on many levels.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Hate to tell ya Lars, but you never were any sort of competition to the best drummers that played with the other bands from the "Big Four"

Lombardo, Bostaph, Benante, Menza, and Samuelson (RIP) were all leagues ahead of him, and the opening trio from that list are still excellent drummers who added a lot more to their styles since the 80's/90's, unlike Lars who has declined on many levels.

And here we go again......................:rolleyes:. This thread is like ****ing Groundhog Day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

And here we go again......................:rolleyes:. This thread is like ****ing Groundhog Day!

Well if Lars is going to be going on about it being competitive back then, then I see nothing wrong is saying that he was never in the same class as those other drummers, and is even further from their class nowadays.

It's hardly the same as saying Metallica are better/worse than Band A or Band B.

In other news our resident Metallica-hater mark86 has been sitebanned :(. I enjoyed his brief contribution.

Malice wrote: »
    In other news our resident Metallica-hater mark86 has been sitebanned :(. I enjoyed his brief contribution.

poor Mark, he will be remembered fondy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I didn't, I mean he was looking for trouble by coming here and posting what he did, I don't know what he expected to achieve other then to waste his own time

Most hardcore Metallica fans know the band is also one of the most flawed Metal acts ever (in that for everything you can think to say positive about the band you can think of three negative things), doesn't mean we're going to stop listening

On the topic though, I saw this rather satirical "preview" of Some Kind of Monster 2, a horror film also titled Jason Returns
    Eight years after leaving Metallica in disgust, bassist Jason Newsted visits his former band apparently seeking to make amends. Once granted entry to the practice space, Newsted slips on a pair of brass knuckles and gives drummer Lars Ulrich the sustained and merciless beating that he deserves. After pounding Ulrich's hands into bloody stumps that will never grasp a pair of drumsticks again, Newsted paralyzes singer James Hetfield with a Taser and then yanks out his goatee, hair by hair.

Current bassist Robert Trujillo, pulling double duty as bodyguard, tries to subdue Newsted, but Jason promptly strikes him dead with a karate chop to the throat. As ineffectual guitarist Kirk Hammett begs for his life, Newsted drags a razor blade across Hammett's throat and plays air bass solos as his former colleague bleeds out on the floor.

Newsted is charged with four counts of first-degree murder but catches a lucky break when Dave Mustaine ends up as jury foreman, persuading the other jurors to rule the killings justified, since they were the only way to prevent Metallica from releasing a follow-up to 2008's Death Magnetic.

I didn't, I mean he was looking for trouble by coming here and posting what he did, I don't know what he expected to achieve other then to waste his own time

Most hardcore Metallica fans know the band is also one of the most flawed Metal acts ever (in that for everything you can think to say positive about the band you can think of three negative things), doesn't mean we're going to stop listening

On the topic though, I saw this rather satirical "preview" of Some Kind of Monster 2, a horror film also titled Jason Returns

PMSL

Ah it's fun to watch trolls make muppets of themselves every so often. You know as well as I do he was just looking for a reaction off someone and was no doubt disappointed when no one reacted the way he wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

y'know, nothing else matters came on the radio the other morning, and i realised that both the drum sound and the playing are totally un-needed.
    a big reverby heavy footed drum pattern that would have benefited from a more subtle dryer approach....would it have hurt to use a little sidestick, or maybe a ride cymbal?

ever noticed lars has rarely if ever used a ride cymbal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

y'know, nothing else matters came on the radio the other morning, and i realised that both the drum sound and the playing are totally un-needed.
    a big reverby heavy footed drum pattern that would have benefited from a more subtle dryer approach....would it have hurt to use a little sidestick, or maybe a ride cymbal?

I always thought his lack of ride was a bit strange. It pops up on a few songs on Ride the Lightning, but I can't remember any Metallica song outside of that album that uses it. What I wish he would do is get rid of that china cymbal. He really over uses it live and really kills the flow of the songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Bleeding Me
    Memory Remains
    Whiplash
    Disposable Heroes
    Until it Sleeps
    Ride the Lightning
    Hit the Lights
    Mama Said

Off the top of my head. This is going to wreck my head for the next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

A great version of NEM is the 'elevator' version which was a b-side and features no drums at all. Much better than the original I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

A great version of NEM is the 'elevator' version which was a b-side and features no drums at all. Much better than the original I think!

love that version

also, does anyone else notice how much nothing else matters has changed, when you compare the live in mexico 93 version to the current version...the sound has changed radically and the song almost seems different, whereas the 93 version was very much a cover of the studio version of the song. or am i the only one hearing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I always thought his lack of ride was a bit strange. It pops up on a few songs on Ride the Lightning, but I can't remember any Metallica song outside of that album that uses it. What I wish he would do is get rid of that china cymbal. He really over uses it live and really kills the flow of the songs.

I disagree, well he may overdo it live but I like his china sound, ESP on justice, its probably the only sound I like on that album.

Bleeding Me
    Memory Remains
    Whiplash
    Disposable Heroes
    Until it Sleeps
    Ride the Lightning
    Hit the Lights
    Mama Said

Off the top of my head. This is going to wreck my head for the next month.
    What's this list for?

What's this list for?

Sorry bout that. These are a few songs I could think of that Lars uses the ride cymbal on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I disagree, well he may overdo it live but I like his china sound, ESP on justice, its probably the only sound I like on that album.

Well, I was mostly taking about it in the live setting. He seems to add it to songs that never had it in the first place and just doesn't sound right to me. Tbh, it I think he uses it live to cover up fills that used to be in the songs but can't/doesn't play anymore, but that's just my opinion. I don't think he over does it on albums though.

Well, I was mostly taking about it in the live setting. He seems to add it to songs that never had it in the first place and just doesn't sound right to me. Tbh, it I think he uses it live to cover up fills that used to be in the songs but can't/doesn't play anymore, but that's just my opinion. I don't think he over does it on albums though.

He certainly loves his china/snare china/snare combos live, and it is to cover fills I'd guess. I can remember how bloody disappointed I was when I saw them for the first time (Black Tour in the Point). I couldn't get over how bad he was live, especially as I had been drumming for about 5 years and was a big fan of his drumming on AJFA. After that album, he just went downhill in my opinion. The drumming on the black album is pants altogether.

Sorry bout that. These are a few songs I could think of that Lars uses the ride cymbal on.
    Ah, makes sense now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Heh just seen this on the website:

11nov2110_pic35.jpg

look at the guy to the right of Lars with the white thingy. Haha made me laugh.

Advertisement