Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That pause makes it look like James is holding a massive Bass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Any idea's what Jason's up to now? Searched the web but can't find anything concrete apart from a supergroup due to be formed in 2010

From Wiki (In October 2010 it was announced that Newsted would be joining a supergroup with singer Ian Gillan from Deep Purple, guitarist Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath, second guitarist Mikko Lindström from HIM, keyboardist Jon Lord from Deep Purple and drummer Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden. The band was called WhoCares and plans to record a new charity single entitled "Out of My Mind".)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

He's painting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

feylya wrote: »
    He's painting

That and the supergroup stuff, but he keeps himself quiet these days

Reckon there'll be any surprises with the setlist at the Big 4 in U.S tonight?

I can see them playing Puppets in it's entirity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I don't know tbh. I can't see them going over old ground and repeating something they've done before(not in the US obv.). I'll be surprised though if there aren't a couple of rarities thrown into the set though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

20 years since Black album....maybe that in full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Mushy wrote: »
    20 years since Black album....maybe that in full.

About 30 years since they were formed as well.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I don't know tbh. I can't see them going over old ground and repeating something they've done before(not in the US obv.). I'll be surprised though if there aren't a couple of rarities thrown into the set though.

I know they don't cover old ground but if i remember right they did say they'd do Puppets in it's Entirety in the U.S at some point

scudzilla wrote: »
    I know they don't cover old ground but if i remember right they did say they'd do Puppets in it's Entirety in the U.S at some point

I'd expect them maybe to throw in something they've never played in the US like Orion(they only played half of it supporting the Stones).

I've a feeling they may do something later on in the year to mark their 30th anniversary.

• Advertisement

Any of you guys ever been to a Metallica gig and been disappointed? I mean, the band just didn't seem into it and were below par?

I've seen them 25 times or so now and it's happened to me twice.

First time was at Pukkelpop in Belgium 1997, they just didn't do it, crowd was lame, band seemed to be going through the motions, seen them 2 days later headlining Reading and they fcukin blew the place apart. 2 totally different gigs and only 2 days apart. Even Kerrang gave them a 2/5 review for it

Second time was when they headlined Dynamo Festival in Holland in '99, so many people were looking forward to them playing Dynamo for the first time and they just blew it. Sound was awful for first 2/3 songs, they honestly seemed to be only there for the rumoured $250,000 pay check.

Same as the first bad gig, seen them about 6/8 weeks later at Milton Keynes and they fcukin rocked.

Wonder why this is?

I'd expect them maybe to throw in something they've never played in the US like Orion(they only played half of it supporting the Stones).

I've a feeling they may do something later on in the year to mark their 30th anniversary

Yeah, a 7 night residency at The Olympia ;)

The only show that sticks in my mind as sub-par was the Dublin show in '99. Sound was ****e and the band didn't seem quite with it. It wasn't a terrible show but probably at the bottom of my list in shows i've seen.

I seen 9 shows on the WM tour recently and every performance was top notch,even when it was their 2nd night in a row. Hetfield in particular looks like a man reborn and thoroughly loving playing live shows again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Yeah, a 7 night residency at The Olympia ;)

LOL.................i doubt it? Weren't they supposed to do two nights when they came here for the "Load" tour?? I don't think enough tickets were sold for the second night, so they ended up doing just the one? What a gig that was, though!?

LOL.................i doubt it? Weren't they supposed to do two nights when they came here for the "Load" tour?? I don't think enough tickets were sold for the second night, so they ended up doing just the one? What a gig that was, though!?

At The Olympia???

Whilst that show was far from their best in performance terms it still holds a special place in my heart. Not sure why but i always smile when i think back to that show. In the round,COC as support(feckin' excellent too!),being only yards from the band and being such a small venue,i think the point was only 8,000 capacity then,it was pretty much all Metallica fans.

Only downer from the whole show was no TEOG but i wasn't particularly upset about it at the time. I'd be gutted if they tried it now as it's an integral part of the show.

Whilst that show was far from their best in performance terms it still holds a special place in my heart. Not sure why but i always smile when i think back to that show. In the round,COC as support(feckin' excellent too!),being only yards from the band and being such a small venue,i think the point was only 8,000 capacity then,it was pretty much all Metallica fans.

Only downer from the whole show was no TEOG but i wasn't particularly upset about it at the time. I'd be gutted if they tried it now as it's an integral part of the show.

But it was an integral part back then too, i wonder who's bright idea it was to ditch it and run on with house lights switched on, i'm guessing a mouthy little Danish guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

That was a f***in great gig. IMO it ranks as their 3rd best show here - after the 92 gig in the Point and the 2006 gig in the RDS - two insane gigs.

But it was an integral part back then too, i wonder who's bright idea it was to ditch it and run on with house lights switched on, i'm guessing a mouthy little Danish guy

With all the 'change' that the Load era brought it sorta seemed a natural progression. They'd used TEOG throughout the Puppets/Justice and TBA tours and probably thought it'd be fun to do something different. In the round,stunt men and falling lighting rigs,drum kits on 2 stages. I can only assume that was their reasoning behind it.

Any idea's what Jason's up to now? Searched the web but can't find anything concrete apart from a supergroup due to be formed in 2010

From Wiki (In October 2010 it was announced that Newsted would be joining a supergroup with singer Ian Gillan from Deep Purple, guitarist Tony Iommi from Black Sabbath, second guitarist Mikko Lindström from HIM, keyboardist Jon Lord from Deep Purple and drummer Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden. The band was called WhoCares and plans to record a new charity single entitled "Out of My Mind".)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

That was a f***in great gig. IMO it ranks as their 3rd best show here - after the 92 gig in the Point and the 2006 gig in the RDS - two insane gigs.

Interestingly, I would rank the 2006 show as the most ordinary Metallica show I have witnessed.

Notwithstanding the novelty factor of the decision to play MOP in its entirety, I found the show to be very predictable. This was in direct contract to the 2007 Wembley show when the entire set was unpredictable, and the group seemed really up for it.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Interestingly, I would rank the 2006 show as the most ordinary Metallica show I have witnessed.

Notwithstanding the novelty factor of the decision to play MOP in its entirety, I found the show to be very predictable. This was in direct contract to the 2007 Wembley show when the entire set was unpredictable, and the group seemed really up for it.

Yeah, Wembley was something else, we got great seats by side of stage, production released them 6 weeks before, only draw back was sitting right behind the biggest pair of nobs i've ever seen in me life.

Did ya get yer fish sorted?

This was in direct contract to the 2007 Wembley show when the entire set was unpredictable, and the group seemed really up for it.

That show ranks near the top for me. Was only listening to the LiveMet recording of it today while out walking,Disposable Heroes and AJFA in particular are immense! Not to mention the amazing crowd participation on Memory Remains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I found the show to be very predictable. .

Unfortunately, even though they are great live, most Metallica concerts have been predictable for the last 10 years or so. I know they don't play the same set exactly every night but in all honestly they only change one or two songs and One, Enter Sandman, NEM etc. are always in the same place and S&D is always last, James says the same stories every night etc.

Unfortunately, even though they are great live, most Metallica concerts have been predictable for the last 10 years or so. I know they don't play the same set exactly every night but in all honestly they only change one or two songs and One, Enter Sandman, NEM etc. are always in the same place and S&D is always last, James says the same stories every night etc.

They change more than 1 or 2, and it could be worse, as much as i love AC/DC they didn't change there set list ONCE during the whole Black Ice tour!!

If anybody's on Facebook KROQ are publishing up to date pics from The Big 4 gig

http://www.facebook.com/#!/worldfamouskroq

Set list from The Big 4 - U.S

Creeping Death
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Fuel
    Ride the Lightning
    Fade to Black
    Cyanide
    All Nightmare Long
    Sad But True
    Sanitarium
    Orion
    One
    Master of Puppets
    Blackened
    Nothing Else Matters
    Enter Sandman
    Am I Evil? (Big 4 Jam)
    Hit The Lights
    Seek & Destroy

So there ya have it, not an amazing setlist but very safe.

Only minor shocks (and these are minor) are Blackened & Hit The Lights

I'd have expected them to have pulled something outta the bag for this one, unless Lars made an announcement at the end.

Nothing amazing there. TBH they rarely shake up the setlist radically unless it's a fan club only show. The DM launch gig at the o2 in London was great,no NEM,SBT or Sandman,ONE with no pyro. Great as a regular at their shows to see something different.

When it comes to festivals or large outdoor shows they always play it conservatively and try to cover the hardcore fans and first timers alike. Great to see them throw Orion in there for the US fans who've never gotten to see it live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Any of you guys ever been to a Metallica gig and been disappointed? I mean, the band just didn't seem into it and were below par?
    Not so much that the band was below par but I was quite disappointed with them when they didn't play Whiskey In The Jar during the 2003 show in Dublin. The excuse at the time as far as I remember was that Rob didn't know it. I thought that was a very poor excuse. A professional musician can't take an hour or so to nail down one not particularly difficult song?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Malice wrote: »
    Not so much that the band was below par but I was quite disappointed with them when they didn't play Whiskey In The Jar during the 2003 show in Dublin. The excuse at the time as far as I remember was that Rob didn't know it. I thought that was a very poor excuse. A professional musician can't take an hour or so to nail down one not particularly difficult song?

I'd hold the complete opposite view to you on that. I hate that bloody song and if they are going to play a cover, I'd prefer it if they played one of their better ones, e.g. Blitzkrieg, Breadfan, etc.

I hate the reasoning that because they're in Ireland they feel obliged to play Whiskey and dicks shout for it after every song from about the 2nd song in. At least they moved it to the front of the set to counteract this at Marley Park the last time I saw them (not the last visit, the one before).

I wonder when they play in Australia do people shout for Loverman or the Mercyful Fate medley when the play in Denmark?

Advertisement