Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I like it when they play Whiskey cos it's the only place in the world they play it :D:D

As for Rob not knowing it, i seriously doubt it, i think they just forgot, as when they played it next time James said they'd forgot to play it last time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'd hold the complete opposite view to you on that. I hate that bloody song and if they are going to play a cover, I'd prefer it if they played one of their better ones, e.g. Blitzkrieg, Breadfan, etc.
    That's a fair point but I think that 2003 was the first time they'd played Ireland since recording the song so surely that gig was an excellent opportunity to play it?
    scudzilla wrote: »
    As for Rob not knowing it, i seriously doubt it, i think they just forgot, as when they played it next time James said they'd forgot to play it last time
    That's even worse then. Your band is playing a gig in the country where a song you've recently won a Grammy for originated and you forget to play it?

As I recall people were chanting for the song quite early in the set and at some point near the end James said something like "Rob doesn't know it". Now I can't remember exactly what he said but there's no way they could have failed to hear the crowd so it really was disappointing for the song to be left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Malice wrote: »
    That's a fair point but I think that 2003 was the first time they'd played Ireland since recording the song so surely that gig was an excellent opportunity to play it?

They played it in '99 at the Point with Eric Bell joining them on stage for it.;)

Could be another first for Metallica,their first show in India in October according to Rob.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=157221

lord lucan wrote: »
    They played it in '99 at the Point with Eric Bell joining them on stage for it.;)
    Fair enough :). Out of curiousity, when was that gig? I wasn't at it and don't remember it coming to my attention at all.

• Advertisement

Fair enough :). Out of curiousity, when was that gig? I wasn't at it and don't remember it coming to my attention at all.

July 1999. Think it was around the 5th iirc. It was known as the 'Garage remains the same tour',basically touring Garage Inc.

July 1999. Think it was around the 5th iirc. It was known as the 'Garage remains the same tour',basically touring Garage Inc.
    Hmm, I thought it might have coincided with one of my summers working outside of Ireland but 1999 wasn't one of them now that I think about it. I was in college at the time so a lack of funds was probably a major factor in not going to the gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Could be another first for Metallica,their first show in India in October according to Rob.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=157221

Thats class. So Iron Maiden, Porcupine Tree, and now Metallica, the fans must be excited. It would be an interesting experience to be at one of those shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Just bought some shirts from Tallica's website, some good stuff in the clearance section, even if they have abolished the whole "free shipping" thing they were doing a few months back before the refit

Anyone hear anything more about this new project, is the album still "due" next month?

All I heard was that they will work with Rick Rubin again as producer, whether this is the forthcoming album or the new studio album due sometime in 2012/13 I don't really know....

http://www.glasswerk.co.uk/news/national/13117/Metallica+To+Work+With+Rick+Rubin+On+Forthcoming+Album+

Presumably if the new album isn't a covers album it might be released under a different name? I mean, it's certainly secret given the lack of information. Have the fan club been told anything?

Have the fan club been told anything?

Only the band know what the deal is,everyone else is in the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

At The Olympia???

No, in the Point.

Just bought some shirts from Tallica's website, some good stuff in the clearance section, even if they have abolished the whole "free shipping" thing they were doing a few months back before the refit

Anyone hear anything more about this new project, is the album still "due" next month?

All I heard was that they will work with Rick Rubin again as producer, whether this is the forthcoming album or the new studio album due sometime in 2012/13 I don't really know....

http://www.glasswerk.co.uk/news/national/13117/Metallica+To+Work+With+Rick+Rubin+On+Forthcoming+Album+

Presumably if the new album isn't a covers album it might be released under a different name? I mean, it's certainly secret given the lack of information. Have the fan club been told anything?

Other than Metallica?? I seriously doubt that one of the biggest rock bands on the planet are going to release material under a different name than Metallica?? Come on..........?:rolleyes:

I like it when they play Whiskey cos it's the only place in the world they play it :D:D

No it ain't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hmm, I thought it might have coincided with one of my summers working outside of Ireland but 1999 wasn't one of them now that I think about it. I was in college at the time so a lack of funds was probably a major factor in not going to the gig.

Yeah it was the 5th.

I only remember since it was my first gig ever. Amazing! There was big enough press for it, I remember posters around town and stuff for it?

Phil Lynott's mom was sitting in the crowd too, James said it before they played whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not so much that the band was below par but I was quite disappointed with them when they didn't play Whiskey In The Jar during the 2003 show in Dublin. The excuse at the time as far as I remember was that Rob didn't know it. I thought that was a very poor excuse. A professional musician can't take an hour or so to nail down one not particularly difficult song?

That's bull****...i doubt James would agree to play a song off the cuff at a show of that size....

you could say lars plays like that every night...but hetfield is oraganised...

No it ain't

Where else then? Sure they may have played it when garage inc was released but now it's only played in Ireland

Where else then? Sure they may have played it when garage inc was released but now it's only played in Ireland

Check on www.livemetallica.com. They have played it in the US a few times.

That's bull****...i doubt James would agree to play a song off the cuff at a show of that size....
    Are you disputing my version of events or am I misreading your post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Are you disputing my version of events or am I misreading your post?
    The impression I got from that gig was they were actually surprised at the crowd reaction, it would be rare that fans shout for one (cover) song between each song and James said it wasn't rehearsed...so no song...

it was a real pain in the hole listening to "whiskey whiskey" that day....

• Advertisement

Other than Metallica?? I seriously doubt that one of the biggest rock bands on the planet are going to release material under a different name than Metallica?? Come on..........?:rolleyes:

Why not, then it's really released in secret, and nobody sees it coming (even on the future release schedules lol)

Although you were probably being sarcastic since Metallica have, of course, previously performed under a different name:D

Why not, then it's really released in secret, and nobody sees it coming (even on the future release schedules lol)

Although you were probably being sarcastic since Metallica have, of course, previously performed under a different name:D

I wasn't actually. I just can't see Metallica doing that?

I wasn't actually. I just can't see Metallica doing that?

The night before Donnington 87 or 88 they played the Marquee in London under the name Damage Inc

They also played under a different name when Bob Rock played his first gig with them in a support slot in some grotty club in San Fran

I think Jack White's band did a similar thing, released an album under a different name, and then it just turned up as their album when it hit shelves...or that was the intention before it was leaked online

I could see myself walking into a HMV next month and just finding a new Metallica album there

The night before Donnington 87 or 88 they played the Marquee in London under the name Damage Inc

They also played under a different name when Bob Rock played his first gig with them in a support slot in some grotty club in San Fran

I think Jack White's band did a similar thing, released an album under a different name, and then it just turned up as their album when it hit shelves...or that was the intention before it was leaked online

I could see myself walking into a HMV next month and just finding a new Metallica album there

Was 2 nights before Donington '87, i was there and it was fcukin awesome.

I can't see them doing a release under a different name, it's one thing playing a secret/warm up gig under a pretence name, a totally different one to release material.

Check on www.livemetallica.com. They have played it in the US a few times.

Like i said, apart from the Garage Inc tour they only regularly play it in Ireland, 6 times in the last 11 years, and 4 of them on Irish Soil

* Marlay Park, Dublin, Ireland on August 1, 2009
    * Marlay Park, Dublin, Ireland on August 20, 2008
    * RDS Arena, Dublin, Ireland on June 11, 2006
    * Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, ON, Canada on October 27, 2004
    * HSBC Arena, Buffalo, NY, USA on October 10, 2004
    * RDS Arena, Dublin, Ireland on June 25, 2004
    * Target Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA on January 10, 2000
    * Target Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA on January 9, 2000
    * Target Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA on January 7, 2000
    * Allstate Arena, Rosemont, IL, USA on January 5, 2000
    * Allstate Arena, Rosemont, IL, USA on January 4, 2000
    * Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI, USA on January 3, 2000
    * Gund Arena, Cleveland, OH, USA on January 1, 2000
    * Pontiac Silverdome, Pontiac, MI, USA on December 31, 1999
    * Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, FL, USA on December 29, 1999
    * Orange Bowl, Miami, FL, USA on December 28, 1999
    * Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy, Paris, France on July 7, 1999
    * Point Theatre, Dublin, Ireland on July 5, 1999
    * Rock Werchter Festival, Werchter, Belgium on July 3, 1999
    * Ruisrock Festival, Turku, Finland on July 2, 1999
    * Roskilde Festival, Roskilde, Denmark on July 1, 1999
    * Song Festival Ground, Tallinn, Estonia on June 29, 1999
    * Roseland Ballroom, New York, NY, USA on November 24, 1998
    * Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA, USA on November 23, 1998
    * State Theatre, Detroit, MI, USA on November 20, 1998
    * Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, IL, USA on November 19, 1998
    * The Warehouse, Toronto, ON, Canada on November 17, 1998

Metallica have just announced a Big 4 show for Yankee Stadium, NY on Sept 14th.

How long before somebody sues them in the U.S??? They clearly said in advertising for last week's show 'Only U.S Appearance', now if somebody in New York paid a fortune for flights/hotels etc thinking it was the only chance to see them, then a week later they announce a NY show, surely he's got a case, being the sue happy culture that they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Metallica have just announced a Big 4 show for Yankee Stadium, NY on Sept 14th.

How long before somebody sues them in the U.S??? They clearly said in advertising for last week's show 'Only U.S Appearance', now if somebody in New York paid a fortune for flights/hotels etc thinking it was the only chance to see them, then a week later they announce a NY show, surely he's got a case, being the sue happy culture that they are

Beat me to it! Seriously tempted to travel over for this.

Beat me to it! Seriously tempted to travel over for this.

Aer Lingus is 600lids return, bit pricey

I totally agree with you. I actually know somebody in New York who flew to California on expense for the show and they're not going to be happy

I would believe the advertisements which read "the ONLY Big 4 Show in the US EVER" are grounds enough to sue the promoters, perhaps not Metallica or any of the acts involved, but the promotion and booking agents for the Californian show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

The impression I got from that gig was they were actually surprised at the crowd reaction, it would be rare that fans shout for one (cover) song between each song and James said it wasn't rehearsed...so no song...

it was a real pain in the hole listening to "whiskey whiskey" that day....

Exactly. I think at that series of gigs Metallica were basically playing the same setlist night aftert night, and they looked pretty surprised that people were (very annoyingly) chanting for it all the time. Jesus, it's an average cover of a song by a band who eventually grew to be pretty embarrassed by it. Am I Evil? or So What would be so much more fun to hear!

Advertisement