Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

--LOS-- wrote: »
    cool! I'd say Lars will be first in line to collect some of those :P

Check out this interview with Newsted conducted this year, and also check out what he says about the Black album, and the fact that the very day after it was released they could have retired. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

<joining the Newsted fan line> :D

online portfolio here..........interesting stuff.

online portfolio here..........interesting stuff.

I have to say I like his material but I don't agree with the price, I think the least expensive is $7,500 lol

In any case, I've just checked out this video from the offices of Classic Rock, and I gotta say....I'm seriously considering giving the Coffin Box a purchase in retrospect (although he was a bit off on his "Limited Edition" foresight)

He wasn't going to charge any less was he :p

Some of the stuff in that box is pointless, like what is that laminated pass thing :confused:
    Why is the tshirt so boring too and the flag, although I like backprints :D
    The demo and the making of dvd looks cool though. And I'd expect a way fancier box too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I think that's what happened actually, there's the hardcore fan like ourselves who hears a Metallica gig announced and would rather pay for the ticket then pay the rent lol...and yet there's the casual, "O'll go if my mates goin" fan who has filled the outdoor arenas on a Summers day for the past 4 gigs in Dublin

Most hardcore fans, like our friend on the Meet and Greet footage, go to Europe sooner then Dublin to hear Metallica live because they want indoor material and I think the hardcore fans got tickets...the one's who could afford it anyway...and the casual fans just taught about it too long or couldn't go if Daddy wouldn't drive them

Spot on. I went to both nights and most of the lads i met from outside of the North were 'regulars' who travel around to see the band. They were shows 16 and 17 for me,never tire of seeing them indoors. I'm done with outdoor shows after last year(mainly after getting pissed on at AC/DC @ punchestown),indoor shows are just way better. The current set-up is excellent,not a bad seat in the house.

• Advertisement

He wasn't going to charge any less was he :p

Some of the stuff in that box is pointless, like what is that laminated pass thing :confused:
    Why is the tshirt so boring too and the flag, although I like backprints :D
    The demo and the making of dvd looks cool though. And I'd expect a way fancier box too!

The box was worth it for the Demo cd alone imo. My flag/t-shirt etc. have never seen the light of day.:)

The first laminated pass, the credit card, is for use at Live Metallica as far as I know - you can download a show from one of the two promo concerts they did in 2008...where they played the 02 in London and they played in Germany for just £5 a ticket

I think the idea behind that is that you have the demo's of the songs (you get 2 CD's and a DVD with the box set), the actual studio album and the live versions

As far as the other material goes, the backstage laminated pass has little relevance, but I guess its a nice thing to wear around your neck at a future gig...if you're into that kind of thing

lord lucan wrote: »
    The box was worth it for the Demo cd alone imo. My flag/t-shirt etc. have never seen the light of day.:)

I'll keep that in mind, I'm seriously considering it, it was a choice between that or the French box set....Universal music has dropped the price of that by £60 making it very attractive considering the extra's

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/Metallica-Francais-Pour-Une-Nuit/invt/0602527208329

You can also get every Metallica album for the special price of £56, including free shipping

I'll keep that in mind, I'm seriously considering it, it was a choice between that or the French box set....Universal music has dropped the price of that by £60 making it very attractive considering the extra's

http://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/Metallica-Francais-Pour-Une-Nuit/invt/0602527208329

You can also get every Metallica album for the special price of £56, including free shipping

I just got the regular Nimes dvd but that's not a bad price for what's in it. You could always get someone to burn a copy of 'Demo Magnetic' so you don't have to buy the box.;)

As far as the other material goes, the backstage laminated pass has little relevance, but I guess its a nice thing to wear around your neck at a future gig...if you're into that kind of thing

Ye that's the thing I was talking about, lot of the stuff is just filler, demo cd and dvd is appealing though.

• Advertisement

I just got the regular Nimes dvd but that's not a bad price for what's in it. You could always get someone to burn a copy of 'Demo Magnetic' so you don't have to buy the box.;)

or acquire it, ahem, through some ill gotten means....not that Lars would approve

lars_photo.jpg

Taught I would put these up here too encase anyone missed em in the gig thread.

Did you see any of the gig?:pac::pac:

Love the Four Horsemen video above! Whooooo

Just another 24 hours to see if I've won a bid I'm watching on the Coffin box set on EBay, looking to get it at a discounted price too:pac:

Love the Four Horsemen video above! Whooooo

Just another 24 hours to see if I've won a bid I'm watching on the Coffin box set on EBay, looking to get it at a discounted price too:pac:

Good man,we're in a recession!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Did you see any of the gig?:pac::pac:

I didnt really think much of my cam work as I wasnt watching the screen (cause I didnt want security seeing me looking at the screen) so I just pointed in the general direction I taught it should be in. I'd say I only looked at the screen for 20% of the gig, so ya I did!!;)

I didnt really think much of my cam work as I wasnt watching the screen (cause I didnt want security seeing me looking at the screen) so I just pointed in the general direction I taught it should be in. I'd say I only looked at the screen for 20% of the gig, so ya I did!!;)

Security aren't bothered anymore about cameras,not unless it's a big SLR. Only place i've seen security take a hard line on cameras was at a Met show in New Jersey last year. They were making people take out memory cards and everything!!

Great vids,thanks for posting.:cool:

Security aren't bothered anymore about cameras,not unless it's a big SLR. Only place i've seen security take a hard line on cameras was at a Met show in New Jersey last year. They were making people take out memory cards and everything!!

Great vids,thanks for posting.:cool:

You must be joking lad, the security guy in front of me told me stop filming when High on fire were on!! A guy behind be told me that he was there the night before and he saw security confiscate 2 video cameras!! My cam takes both video and can take pics at the same time so I called him over and showed him that I was just taking pics, he he not so as you can see though! My friends dont call me Snake for nothing!! :P:P

You must be joking lad, the security guy in front of me told me stop filming when High on fire were on!! A guy behind be told me that he was there the night before and he saw security confiscate 2 video cameras!! My cam takes both video and can take pics at the same time so I called him over and showed him that I was just taking pics, he he not so as you can see though! My friends dont call me Snake for nothing!! :P:P

My mate had a regular compact digital camera with him and the guys patting him down outside asked what it was. He showed them the camera and they said no problem and let him in with it. When i went through(no camera) the security were more concerned about my zippo("You can't smoke in the venue"!).:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Just saw an interview with Lars where he says theyl be back in the studio next year :pac: about the 8:30 mark

• Advertisement

My mate had a regular compact digital camera with him and the guys patting him down outside asked what it was. He showed them the camera and they said no problem and let him in with it. When i went through(no camera) the security were more concerned about my zippo("You can't smoke in the venue"!).:rolleyes:

Oh they checked my stuff too on the way in and saw the cam and said nothing, it was the security around the stage that was the porblem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Slayer do their own UK tour soon. n like metallica they couldn't be arsed w/ here this time out - at least metallica did belfast. still sterling into dollars tho.. keen on seein what tom does when he can't mosh. just goofily leer at the crowd?

Leeds, Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester, Nottingham, London.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Slayer do their own UK tour soon. n like metallica they couldn't be arsed w/ here this time out - at least metallica did belfast. still sterling into dollars tho.. keen on seein what tom does when he can't mosh. just goofily leer at the crowd?

Leeds, Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester, Nottingham, London.

I was meant to be goin to leeds but they kept cancellin! :mad:

Good man,we're in a recession!:D

Indeed! I'll let you know if it worked....

One thing for certain, the £142 Sterling price tag on Amazon.co.uk is a joke

Jimmy Page just bought one of Newsted's pieces and Lars Ulrich was at the opening party, which Jason said he was humbled by, in a recent interview

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15129701?nclick_check=1

Jimmy Page just bought one of Newsted's pieces and Lars Ulrich was at the opening party, which Jason said he was humbled by, in a recent interview

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15129701?nclick_check=1

Also, does anyone know, what does this version of Death Magnetic come with - do you just get a card in a box or do you actually get a physical copy of the CD as well as a code card....because I think it's the latter but I don't speak German

51iFfgjpDCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also, does anyone know, what does this version of Death Magnetic come with - do you just get a card in a box or do you actually get a physical copy of the CD as well as a code card....because I think it's the latter but I don't speak German

51iFfgjpDCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I think that was a version that included a physical cd as well as a code to download one of the DM launch gigs from London and Berlin.

I think that was a version that included a physical cd as well as a code to download one of the DM launch gigs from London and Berlin.

Excellent, thank's for the info....I'll have to investigate more, but if that's the case, I found a nice little cheap copy online I might go for lol

OK, now bear with me, this isn't the usual Megadeth vs. Metallica thread question....

So, Mustaine arrives in New York in April 83 with Metallica and they immediately want him out of the group for various reasons. Mustaine goes back on the bus to LA and rents an apartment. Let's say, he got his **** together very fast, and in June 83 when he first heard Metallica's material he sued the ass off them for using his stuff without his prior consent.

Now, Metallica debate this is the case, and said Mustaine never said anything of the sort. Still, a year passes, and Metallica have obviously kept demos from around 82 and early 83 and still have Mustaine's work and use it again on Ride The Lightning. At this point, why doesn't Mustaine sue? This is the second album they've released and it's heavy with Mustaine influence.

There's no denying Kill Em All is rawer and more Thrash friendly then any other Metallica record...and it sounds more like a Megadeth record...so I assume that in the years that followed a Metallica lawyer, in secret, has negotiated with Mustaine that he will not take Metallica to court for using his material without permission and Mustaine is happy with the royalties?

Then there's Master of Puppets, Mustaine debates there's material on there which is his, although nothing is credited to him...so is this Mustaine attempting to make more money from his former bandmates or does he have a credible argument, did they get sick of paying for Mustaine to start a new band - which he did in 1984 after RTL came out - and so figured they'd wouldn't fund him anymore

Or, did Metallica and Mustaine have a secret agreement that although they were kicking him out of the band, they'd give him full credits and use his material and he could use the money to get his life back on track?

• Advertisement

Or, did Metallica and Mustaine have a secret agreement that although they were kicking him out of the band, they'd give him full credits and use his material and he could use the money to get his life back on track?

The way i see it,they kicked him out,gave him writing credits on the songs that they say he co-wrote with them on KEA and that was that. I've no doubt there's some Mustaine influence on RTL but i don't see it on MOP tbh.

In my eyes they were a bunch of kids who were finding their way in the world with their band. I can't see any of them at the time thinking about pay-offs and future conflict. As savvy as Lars is i think they were just having a good time drinking beer and making music. I don't believe they ever thought seriously in 1983 that they'd end up so huge and that people would be talking about who wrote what 27 years later.

Mustaine has never helped his own cause over the years. I'm a big fan of Megadeth but some of the whining he's come out with over the years has been terrible. Sounds like a child throwing the toys out of the pram. He may well have written more than he was given credit for but i doubt we'll ever find out if that was the case.

I hope after this tour in the summer that both camps can get along and who knows,even collaborate on something in the future.

Advertisement