Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Same as that, went to the launch shows in Berlin and London and it was awesome. Threw in some great surprises. Blitzkrieg in Berlin was a highlight

They threw in Until it Sleeps in London which still sounded great live. Some of the Load tunes sound much better live than recorded,would love to see some return to their set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Am I the only one sick of hearing Sandman live?

I guess so, I'd love to hear an outgoing from Bleeding Me more often

Perhaps I could be tempted to say that is my favourite Metallica song of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Wouldn't mind hearing Breadfan nowadays.

Does anyone remember the first Metallica song they ever heard?

I remember yeeears ago I heard Battery in my mates car. It was awesome. I fell in love. I went out an bought St Anger in excitement. Thought it was great, then someone told me that their older stuff was better. My 13 year old response was "How can ye get better than this? THIS IS AWESOME!!!!" Oh how I was wrong. I got my mate to burn me a few CDs of MOP AJFA RTL and TBA. ................ 'mezzin! 13 year old Fago's head almost 'sploded haha.

So?

Fago! wrote: »

"To live is to Die" was my first Met song. We had a Media Studies class at school sometime in '89 and we had to do our own take on Julius Caesar. One of the girls in my class brought a tape in to use as an intro to the piece. Turned out it was AJFA the album and TLITD was the track to be used. I was blown away by the slow classical intro segueing into something as heavy as ****!

Having only heard AFD by GN'R a couple of months previously as my first foray into Rock,this took it up a notch and was the beginning of a new chapter in my life in music. Never looked back since.:)

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    "To live is to Die" was my first Met song. We had a Media Studies class at school sometime in '89 and we had to do our own take on Julius Caesar. One of the girls in my class brought a tape in to use as an intro to the piece. Turned out it was AJFA the album and TLITD was the track to be used. I was blown away by the slow classical intro segueing into something as heavy as ****!

Having only heard AFD by GN'R a couple of months previously as my first foray into Rock,this took it up a notch and was the beginning of a new chapter in my life in music. Never looked back since.:)

Speaking of the TLITD intro, what is that played on - Guitar? 12 string guitar? Mandolin?

Speaking of the TLITD intro, what is that played on - Guitar? 12 string guitar? Mandolin?

I always thought it was an acoustic guitar.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I always thought it was an acoustic guitar.

Yeah I always thought that too just had me suspicions. Oh well.

Great live excerpt of TLITD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Ride The Lightning was the first song I heard. I thought the start of the solo sounded remarkably like the power rangers theme song. Still do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I guess so, I'd love to hear an outgoing from Bleeding Me more often

Perhaps I could be tempted to say that is my favourite Metallica song of all time

Fcuking love that song.

• Advertisement

Does anyone remember the first Metallica song they ever heard??

Whiskey In The Jar by Metallica, video preview late night on Kerrang (my parents had gone out that night), I came to the Metallica family young (but later then a lot of you good people here) and that video just made me watch - probably because of the lesbians - but the music made me listen again and again. I was actually waiting to see GNR's November Rain cause I'd put in a request for it, and they played both both in a row

Ah, good times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Definitely sandman but I can't remember if I heard tba before or after the Freddie mercury gig. 1992 I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't know about anyone else but I'll certainly never forget it. A mate of mine lent me a tape with Ride the Lightning on it back in 1991 when I was a lowly first year in secondary school. The light acoustic guitar intro to Fight Fire With Fire gave no indication of the mayhem that was to come after about 40 seconds. I'd never heard guitars played like that before. My jaw hit the floor and that was that, I was a metal fan and, twenty years later, I still am :cool:

I feel old now that I've just had to add up the time difference :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Fight fire with fire.
    I first heard them in 1985, my cousin from New York was over visiting and had a copy of RTL, I had heard alot about them and taped the album from him. Liked it fine but preferred Sabbath, Maiden, Priest at the time until Master was released.
    Still think RTL is a patchy album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

First metallica song i heard was enter sandman

buck65 wrote: »
    Still think RTL is a patchy album.
    Really? What didn't you like about it?

Listening to it these days I think the quality dips a bit with Trapped Under Ice and Escape but the rest of the album is still awesome and more than makes up for those two songs. They would merely rate a 7/10 for me rather than the 9/10 that the rest of the album gets :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

First Metallica song I heard/saw was the un-edited One video with clips from Johnny Got His Gun back in 1988/1989. Hooked me in straight away. First song I learned to play on the guitar.

As for RTL? Escape and Trapped under Ice are pants, but the rest of the album is fantastic and in terms of songwriting craft and production it is a quantum leap from KEA.

Plus the RTL solo is, IMHO, Metallica's finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Malice wrote: »
    Really? What didn't you like about it?

Listening to it these days I think the quality dips a bit with Trapped Under Ice and Escape but the rest of the album is still awesome and more than makes up for those two songs. They would merely rate a 7/10 for me rather than the 9/10 that the rest of the album gets :).

Honestly, I think the title track is middling at best, Fight fire with fire is fine but hardly aged well.
    So for me there are 2 poor tracks - Escape, Trapped,
    2 decent songs - RTL , FFWF
    3 great songs - Bells, Fade, Creeping death and a very good instrumental. so mixed bag. Grabs jacket....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Honestly, I think the title track is middling at best, Fight fire with fire is fine but hardly aged well.
    3 great songs - Bells, Fade, Creeping death and a very good instrumental. so mixed bag. Grabs jacket....
    If it werent for MOP and the other 1986 thrash albums, this album would get much more praise.

Possibly metallica's best album imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Fight fire is the prototype for a lot of modern metal, and practically defines death metal!

• Advertisement

Trapped Under Ice sounded pretty good in Glasgow a few years ago, mind, but that's just a personal opinion

Each to their own and all that but I think you're being harsh on Escape and Trapped Under Ice and very harsh on the title track and Fight Fire With Fire.
    Max Power1 wrote:
    No possibly about it in my opinion :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Malice wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else but I'll certainly never forget it. A mate of mine lent me a tape with Ride the Lightning on it back in 1991 when I was a lowly first year in secondary school. The light acoustic guitar intro to Fight Fire With Fire gave no indication of the mayhem that was to come after about 40 seconds. I'd never heard guitars played like that before. My jaw hit the floor and that was that, I was a metal fan and, twenty years later, I still am :cool:
    I feel old now that I've just had to add up the time difference :pac:

Same for me when I heard Battery for the first time. I was just getting into Metal - been listening to a lot of crap that I won't mention here - and my mate gave me a tape with MOP on one side and Reign In Blood by Slayer on the other. I put the tape in the machine, and turned it up cos the intro to "Battery" was too quiet - then, after 30 seconds or so, I was like :eek:. Hooked ever since, with "The Thing That Should Not Be" being probably my favourite 'Tallica song. EVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

First Metallica song i heard was a live one, Creeping Death.

Was the opener for there Donington '85 set, i'd gone along not knowing much about them, nothing in fact, but was totally blown away and have been ever since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Although I prefer MOP to RTL, I think the best songs over the 2 albums are For Whom the Bell Tolls and Creeping Death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

So?

Mine was actually St Anger. When it was released there was this late night music show on TV3 which i watched most nights, and most nights it came on, maybe even 2 or 3 times. It took a while before it grew on me but it did, i was just memorised by the intensity and "power" of the music - i must add that i was in a musical limbo before this - and St Anger opened the door to Metallica for me. I bought the album, closely followed by the Black Album and so forth. I remember stating on this forum before that although i've moved on, i still have a soft spot for St Anger!

Dunno what my favourite solo is. Hmmmmm. Dyers Eve is a great one. The 2nd solo on Trapped Under Ice is ace.

But the title goes to Battery. Fuucking excellent solo. Ahh Kirk ya legend.

Dunno what my favourite solo is. Hmmmmm. Dyers Eve is a great one. The 2nd solo on Trapped Under Ice is ace.

The Unforgiven, hands down - it has always, for me, been THE solo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Max Power1 wrote: »
    If it werent for MOP and the other 1986 thrash albums, this album would get much more praise.

100% agree.

I have a soft spot for the album because it was the first Metallica album I got on it's release date, but musically it still stands up and there are days when I prefer it to Puppets.

For me it is a bit like Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time. Not in terms of how it sounds but in terms of it being an album that can get overlooked at times, and when played has people going "fcuk me, that is one excellent album"

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not in terms of how it sounds but in terms of it being an album that can get overlooked at times

Iron Maiden = maybe
    Metallica = I would doubt it, highly doubt it

I would doubt Master of Puppets is overlooked by anyone. In fact, from personal opinion, I would find it hard to know or speak with a metal fan who isn't fully aware of that album (let alone owns a copy of it themselves)

Advertisement