Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

lord lucan wrote: »
    I was 0/13 when i entered for Madrid last year and had given up hope of ever winning. Didn't even bother checking the contest page,only realised when the email appeared late at night.

It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Crue could win. There's been many who've won on their first go whilst others have been trying for 15 years with no success.

What are the rules now in a Greet the Meat thingy?

I was backstage at Dynamo, 99 i think, and this woman from the record company saw my Met Tattoo, i asked her if she could get me an autograph or 2 from the band, she came back 10 mins later and said i could do it myself and handed me a M&G pass :D:D
    Twas in the early days of the meets, Security guy came out and said that we could have 2 auto's per band member who came out, but no pictures.
    Jason came out and signed/chatted, was so fcukin cool (that's why he remains my fav member past/present of Metallica, so easy going and humble)
    5 mins later James came out, heard Apocalyptica on stage playing Fade, mutters something and climbs up onto the stage, Security guy then says only 1 auto from James and please refain from chit chat.
    Lars and Kirk didn't bother there bollox

Was let down really, i know it ws a freebie and all but if i'd won it in the fan club i would have been extremely pissed off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I heard the chances of getting Meet and Greet were much higher if you are a new member, thats one reason I am raging I am not going Sonisphere, having only joined in January . . .

Tbh from reading the Metclub boards over the years there appears to be no pattern,ie. it's a pure lottery. There's no preference towards new members or old members. The gang that were at my one were very mixed. 3 had won on their first go,11 others had varying numbers of entries,some many years like myself. There's been many ideas muted from older members who haven't won about a ranking system or points system. Personally the way it is now is better,everyone has a chance at winning now matter how long they're in it.

If too many new members win it then many will not bother to renew after a year. As it is the fan club membership spikes hugely at the beginning of every tour. Many want to take advantage of pre-sale tickets and in the US arena dates case,early entry. Most will not renew once the tour finishes.

scudzilla wrote: »
    What are the rules now in a Greet the Meat thingy?

I was backstage at Dynamo, 99 i think, and this woman from the record company saw my Met Tattoo, i asked her if she could get me an autograph or 2 from the band, she came back 10 mins later and said i could do it myself and handed me a M&G pass :D:D
    Twas in the early days of the meets, Security guy came out and said that we could have 2 auto's per band member who came out, but no pictures.
    Jason came out and signed/chatted, was so fcukin cool (that's why he remains my fav member past/present of Metallica, so easy going and humble)
    5 mins later James came out, heard Apocalyptica on stage playing Fade, mutters something and climbs up onto the stage, Security guy then says only 1 auto from James and please refain from chit chat.
    Lars and Kirk didn't bother there bollox

Was let down really, i know it ws a freebie and all but if i'd won it in the fan club i would have been extremely pissed off

Since about 2003(first dates post-Jason/rehab/skom) it's pretty much always all 4 unless one is sick. It's 2 items autographed per band member and pics taken with your camera by their staff.

I've read many stories similar to your own pre-skom where it was a lottery who would turn up. Sometimes 2,the odd occasion only Jason. Very different now but then again they're a very different band now(and not on the lash all the time!:pac:).

It's very well run now,they've a considerable Metclub/backstage crew who have everything set up and much like the Metallica touring machine it's a well oiled beast.

Since about 2003(first dates post-Jason/rehab/skom) it's pretty much always all 4 unless one is sick. It's 2 items autographed per band member and pics taken with your camera by their staff.

I've read many stories similar to your own pre-skom where it was a lottery who would turn up. Sometimes 2,the odd occasion only Jason. Very different now but then again they're a very different band now(and not on the lash all the time!:pac:).

It's very well run now,they've a considerable Metclub/backstage crew who have everything set up and much like the Metallica touring machine it's a well oiled beast.

That's why i ****in loved Jason, he'd always be there for the fans, and i'm sure it pissed the others off no end.

Was at Manchester in 88 for the Justice tour, band came out of the front of venue, about 200 fans were waiting, James ran straight into the minivan, Kirk signed about 5, Lars about 10 but Jason stayed for 30 mins signing everything while the others waited in the little minibus thing. Wouldn't have harmed them to come out

The fans always identified with Jason. In many respects he was a fan like everyone else but he was living the dream by being onstage with them. He was the one you could approach in the street/buy a beer for in a bar. Pity he got such a raw deal during his time there.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

The fans always identified with Jason. In many respects he was a fan like everyone else but he was living the dream by being onstage with them. He was the one you could approach in the street/buy a beer for in a bar. Pity he got such a raw deal during his time there.:(

How badly do you think the band would take it if I told Rob he should quit lol:D

How badly do you think the band would take it if I told Rob he should quit lol:D

Why would ya do that??

Rob's pretty damn awesome, i know i'd prefer Jason but unfortunately he's gone and Rob's got the gig now

scudzilla wrote: »
    Why would ya do that??

Perhaps as an incentive to loose some weight

I would imagine, having told Rob this, that I'd be running pretty fast in the direction of an exit from a big guy who wouldn't be too happy with me at that particular moment lol

In other Metallica news, looks like Halifax concert next month may be cancelled, due to Council and City officials looking for unpaid bills from the promoter
    http://thechronicleh...nt/1250751.html

Halifax is playing hardball with organizers of next month’s Metallica concert.

In a letter dated June 15, Jerry Blackwood, the revenue manager for Halifax Regional Municipality, spells it out for promoter Michelle MacKay. MacKay heads MacKay Entertainment Inc. and is married to Harold MacKay, the controversial former promoter who is also involved in organizing the concert.

"HRM’s position regarding providing services to your concert is firm," Blackwood wrote to MacKay. "We will not release any services without an acceptable repayment strategy for the funds owing from the 2010 concerts.

"Based on the history and resulting public funds owed from the 2010 concerts, our position is that it would have been prudent and practical on your part to consult HRM at the senior management level as to your plans for the Metallica concert. Had HRM been advised upfront in the early days of planning for this concert, you would have known our position and could have made an appropriate business decision at that point in time. Today, the fate of the concert remains in your hands."

That letter was copied to Richard Butts, the city’s chief administrative officer, Mary Ellen Donovan, the director of legal services, and Bruce Fisher, the acting finance director.

It shows the municipality has been trying to recoup the $359,550 remaining from the $400,000 advanced to Harold MacKay last summer because of poor advance ticket sales for the Black Eyed Peas and Alan Jackson shows.

"We have nothing to say," city spokeswoman Shaune MacKinlay responded Monday when asked about the city denying services for the Metallica show.

But correspondence between Harold MacKay and Blackwood earlier this month lays out the problem.

"From the public’s perspective, public moneys were improperly used to finance the two concerts on the Halifax Commons that were held last summer," Blackwood wrote in a June 8 letter to MacKay. "This situation needs to be addressed."

Wayne Anstey, the city’s former chief administrative officer, stepped down in March after he acknowledged that unauthorized outlays of cash had been provided to MacKay.

"Therefore," Blackwood’s letter said, "any so-called grant from the municipality, if any, was not a valid grant and any moneys paid out pursuant to the invalid agreement are now due and owing.

"The MacKay family has asked the municipality to provide services in support of the Metallica concert. The municipality is not obliged to provide the services you have requested. If you and any member of your family wish to continue to do concert business with the municipality, the municipality expects that a payment plan to reimburse the public for concert debts will have to be negotiated."

It may already be too late to save Metallica’s Halifax show. In that same June 8 letter, Blackwood said: "Any commitment of municipal services needs to be made by June 14, 2011, in order for the municipality to be in a position to deliver on those services for the July 14 concert date."

Harold MacKay had emailed Blackwood the previous day, June 7, saying his Power Promotional Events is no longer operating.

"The fact is, PPE did not owe the city any money when it ceased operations and you should know that," MacKay wrote. "The much-talked-about concert funds of $400,000 represented two loans of $200,000 each, and they were repayable grants completely tied to ticket sales. In the first case, repayment terms were set to start at 9,000 tickets sold, however that number was not attained, so the $200,000 amount was forgiven. In the second case, repayment terms were set to start at 10,000 tickets sold, and therefore repayment was made on the nine tickets over, at $50 per ticket."

In that email, MacKay told Blackwood that his wife’s company, MacKay Entertainment Inc., is organizing the Metallica concert.

"My involvement is limited to assisting her and doing some PR work as the press does their usual stuff of trying to drive me out of town."

Halifax lawyer, David Coles, confirmed Tuesday that he has been hired by Harold MacKay and by his wife's company MacKay Entertainment Inc. Beyond that, he would not comment.

In an email sent to city councillors Monday, Michelle MacKay complains about the situation.

"There is absolutely no justification for the City of Halifax to deny these services at this time for the Rock the Hill 2011 Festival on the Parks Canada Garrison Grounds," she wrote. "The actions started with Jerry Blackwood, and in spite of our efforts to explain and resolve the issues, we have had no success and they refuse to assist us in any way.

"Geir Simensen of Scanway Catering applied for water and fire services and no one would deal with him due to direction from upper management; Kent MacDonald of Shadow Security was told the same thing regarding police services; David MacKay of (MacKay Entertainment Inc.) called the chief of police for a meeting, only to be told he couldn’t deal with him at direction from the CAO office; David MacKay of MEI was told the same thing regarding the use of the CBC parking lot; and Allen McCandless of Commercial Tent was told the same thing regarding fire permits for his tents."

Michelle MacKay pleaded with the councillors for help.

"We are available at anyone’s convenience to resolve this," she wrote. "On behalf of all the ticket buyers, which are over 20,000 to date, vendors, suppliers, artists, volunteers, hotels, travel agencies, tourism, bars, restaurants . . . and (MacKay Entertainment Inc.), we are asking you to step in and help to obtain the required services from the HRM services."

Neither Michelle nor Harold MacKay could be reached Monday for comment. Mayor Peter Kelly and Butts, the CAO, did not return calls, and Blackwood could not be contacted late Monday.

Simensen said he’s still waiting for permits that would allow him to sell thousands of burgers and beers at the show. He said he still needs fire and water officials to sign off on his plans.

"If I don’t have it by the end of this week, then I would certainly start to be nervous," he said.

"I couldn’t imagine that I live in a city that would hinder the little man from being able to provide a service."

When asked if city officials are slowing down permits for the Metallica show in order to recoup money from Harold MacKay, Simensen played coy.

"That would be unethical and also illegal, wouldn’t it?" he said. "Far be it from me to ever think that our city would behave in such a manner."

Coun. Sue Uteck (Northwest Arm-South End) said elected officials did not sanction the city’s actions against the Metallica show organizers.

"Council did not authorize any such actions, nor was (it) made aware of any such actions," she said.

Terry McRae, a Halifax-area broker who is insuring the Metallica concert, emailed councillors Monday blasting the city for causing problems.

"I am wondering if this city has lost its mind," McRae wrote. "You have one of the biggest acts in the world coming to Halifax and (you’re) refusing services."

In an interview, McRae stressed that his opinions are his own and not those of his employer, which he asked not be named.

He said he is concerned that the city’s actions could mean fewer big concerts for Halifax in the future.

"We’re destroying our reputation as a host venue for big events by doing these things," McRae said.

"It’s like we as a city want to find the worst in everything, as opposed to the best. And we’re starting to look more and more like that. It’s like we’re whiners. All we want to do is whine about things. And if we don’t stop doing that, no one’s going to want to come here."

Rob would probably just laugh. He seems very laid back. He's a good fit for the band,laid back and happy to let James & Lars run the show whilst him and Kirk go surfing.:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I've been entering the M&G competitions for about 4 years now. Haven't won any of them. Not sure if I'd want to win one for Sonisphere - you'd have a tough time getting into the pit afterwards, never mind up to the barrier

• Advertisement

feylya wrote: »
    I've been entering the M&G competitions for about 4 years now. Haven't won any of them. Not sure if I'd want to win one for Sonisphere - you'd have a tough time getting into the pit afterwards, never mind up to the barrier

I was there last year and there isn't really a pit for Sonisphere as such, the Apollo Stage is huge and there is lots of room to see everything. Plus backstage at Sonisphere will probably be more fun compared to who you might see.

Maybe I stand no chance whatsoever but if you're not in, you can't win, and I'd love to get this AND the Megadeth M&G at the same venue lol - I'd imagine that would go down well lol

I was there last year and there isn't really a pit for Sonisphere as such, the Apollo Stage is huge and there is lots of room to see everything. Plus backstage at Sonisphere will probably be more fun compared to who you might see.

Maybe I stand no chance whatsoever but if you're not in, you can't win, and I'd love to get this AND the Megadeth M&G at the same venue lol - I'd imagine that would go down well lol

I've been there the last 2 years and there's certainly a pit style area that's seperate from the whole ground. Actually, there's 2 - there's the security run in the middle of it

I've been there the last 2 years and there's certainly a pit style area that's seperate from the whole ground. Actually, there's 2 - there's the security run in the middle of it

Umm...this I didn't see, maybe since I have Press and VIP passes anyway I'll get into the pit. It's a shame because last year I didn't bother with Apollo much except for Anthrax, Slayer and Alice In Chains and even then I stood well back so this year I'll be eager to get as front row as possible

This is my picture from Thursday last year, I assume that this is the pit area then in front of the stage? How the **** did I miss that!

38976_10150256414710145_810160144_13998323_1767880_n.jpg

Umm...this I didn't see, maybe since I have Press and VIP passes anyway I'll get into the pit.

Same. It means zero at the main stage in the crowd. You just stroll in, there's no security stopping you like over here.
    It's a shame because last year I didn't bother with Apollo much except for Anthrax, Slayer and Alice In Chains and even then I stood well back so this year I'll be eager to get as front row as possible

This is my picture from Thursday last year, I assume that this is the pit area then in front of the stage? How the **** did I miss that!

Was at the back of the pit for Maiden last year

40550_470742739672_625764672_6152709_4359633_n.jpg

but I want to be at the barrier like the first year

5696_146705814672_625764672_3138576_5196625_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

How does entry to the Pit work at Sonisphere?

Is it a first come, first served deal, or will wristbands be handed out allowing for continuious access to the pit over the weekend for a small number of attendees ?

Stroll in, stroll out, no real limits on numbers - if it's full, it's full. People will be there for Slayer and then leave for Metallica

People will be there for Slayer and then leave for Metallica

I dunno, there's some moshing to be done to Metallica I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Tbh from reading the Metclub boards over the years there appears to be no pattern,ie. it's a pure lottery. There's no preference towards new members or old members. The gang that were at my one were very mixed. 3 had won on their first go,11 others had varying numbers of entries,some many years like myself. There's been many ideas muted from older members who haven't won about a ranking system or points system. Personally the way it is now is better,everyone has a chance at winning now matter how long they're in it.

If too many new members win it then many will not bother to renew after a year. As it is the fan club membership spikes hugely at the beginning of every tour. Many want to take advantage of pre-sale tickets and in the US arena dates case,early entry. Most will not renew once the tour finishes.

Typical me anyway to join the club after the dates I went to and after the tour finishes haha.

Typical me anyway to join the club after the dates I went to and after the tour finishes haha.

Well, I didn't win, but not to worry - these things happen. Maybe I'll get a glimpse of the boys backstage since I have a Press pass anyway!

Well, I didn't win, but not to worry - these things happen. Maybe I'll get a glimpse of the boys backstage since I have a Press pass anyway!

They're usually locked away. Hang around the media bar though, there's always bands in there. Linkin Park were having drinks in there 2 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Always next time!!

MTV Classic ran Rock Am Ring from 2008 last night, watching it now on Sky +

Can't believe it's only a week until Metallica! This day next week:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

If I were in Sweden I could watch them on Sunday!

The MTV Classics setlist was really short too, and they took too many breaks...good songs though....

Master of Puppets
    Enter Sandman
    From Whom The Bell Tolls
    One
    Nothing Else Matters
    Seek and Destroy

BTW, anyone have that 2003 Metallica show that was recorded on 2FM...anyone know where I could get it, or was it the 2004 show? Anyway there was only one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

MTV Classic ran Rock Am Ring from 2008 last night, watching it now on Sky +

Can't believe it's only a week until Metallica! This day next week:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

If I were in Sweden I could watch them on Sunday!

The MTV Classics setlist was really short too, and they took too many breaks...good songs though....

Master of Puppets
    Enter Sandman
    From Whom The Bell Tolls
    One
    Nothing Else Matters
    Seek and Destroy

BTW, anyone have that 2003 Metallica show that was recorded on 2FM...anyone know where I could get it, or was it the 2004 show? Anyway there was only one....

will have a lookfor you Crue,
    I'm not sure but I thought I had one of them, I know I have the shows from 2006 onwards and the 86' or 87' on Tape (not worth transferring as it was a pretty poor sounding boot......

have the Rock Am Ring on a DVD - was a 2hr + show so maybe they were only showing highlights on MTV ?

NIBBS wrote: »
    will have a lookfor you Crue,
    I'm not sure but I thought I had one of them, I know I have the shows from 2006 onwards and the 86' or 87' on Tape (not worth transferring as it was a pretty poor sounding boot......

have the Rock Am Ring on a DVD - was a 2hr + show so maybe they were only showing highlights on MTV ?

Cheers man, thanks

Yeah it has to have just been the highlights, weird that it was such a recent show and yet none of the songs from the new album - maybe that's why it was on MTV Classics I guess, but the synopsis was saying it was going to be a 1998 show so I was expecting a Roseland Ballroom show

Anyway, just 6.5 days now!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Was livemetallica going back then?

Yup, I think I have the 2fm broadcast and the proper soundboard of the gig

Yup, I think I have the 2fm broadcast and the proper soundboard of the gig

yeah it's the 2fm I was looking for!

yeah it's the 2fm I was looking for!

25th June 2004. That the right one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I think the 2FM one is from 2003, livemetallica, I think, didn't start until after 2003 cause the '04 gig in Dublin is the first on I bought along with Download '04.

Also that Rock Am Ring gig in '08 was great. Was lucky enough to be there, was a great setlist!

• Advertisement

The boys are really shaking it up in Germany tonight! Here's the set so far!!:eek:

Hit The Lights
    Master Of Puppets
    Shortest Straw
    Seek & Destroy
    Sanitarium
    Memory Remains
    All Nightmare Long
    Sad But True
    Wherever I May Roam
    Call Of Ktulu
    One
    For Whom The Bell Tolls