Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

lord lucan wrote: »
    Feck that,i'll probably have a pre-flight scoop in the airport in the morning to set the tone for the day!:D

That goes without saying! 8.15 Ryanair to Luton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

feylya wrote: »
    That goes without saying! 8.15 Ryanair to Luton?

Yep. Bit of brekkie in the airport and a couple of swift ones before the flight. Gotta pace myself for the day. I'll be in the Cú bar on Pier D(where all the Ryanair flights go from) and most likely be wearing my Metclub 2010 t-shirt.:)

I'll probably be wearing my 2011 one :D I'll be gagging for a pint, dunno if I'll get time for one though

feylya wrote: »
    I'll probably be wearing my 2011 one :D I'll be gagging for a pint, dunno if I'll get time for one though

I'll keep an eye out. What's the bet a load of lads come through in Metclub 2011 t-shirts!:pac:

I'll be the one with the muddy backpack, shouting "I NEED A ****ING PINT!".

Limits it to about half the plane I reckon :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I've been going to metal concerts for over twenty years and that what just fantastic.

I don't know what the set list was, I can't speak and I think I've lost about a stone.

Anthrax had a poor response and looked old. Megadeth were technically excellent and put on a good hour, Slayer played what you'd expect how you'd expect and having the three bands open for Metallica ( cos that's what happened let's be fair) really shows the level that people were holding back in anticipation. Personally I'd have loved to see megadeth and anthrax on Friday with Slayer and Metallica on saturday.

Metallica's back catalogue really really shines.

I'm a big fan of early ST and of infectious grooves so seeing Robert doing his thing and slapping out that baseline in his own unique style made my night.

I just lobbed this point on to the end of a post on PPM and wanted to share it here.

I was a little annoyed at Hetfield during Creep. He interrupted the DIE...DIE...DIE... chants to ask the crowd did they have fun?! It ruined what is one of the amazing moments in any live Metallica show. It's not the biggest deal in the world or life changing but it niggled at me after the show for some reason. Most of the crowd,whether having seen them a couple of times or a couple of dozen times know how it goes and don't need a prompt or feelgood sentiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'd like to add to Lord Lucan's comment, during Memory Remains (and I don't know why that song was in the set list to begin with) why did James feel the need to keep the crowd going with the Marianne Faithful chant for so ****ING long....it felt like an eternity, and I'm pretty sure people around me where booing him to get him to shut up and move onto the next song...anyone see some problem on stage they were trying to stall with or something???

And yeah, the whole Die thing, that was ****ing nonsense...I mean, on the Mexico live CD, when James is like "we got ourselves a long and noisy night ahead of us, you might as well start singing now - you're singing DIE DIE DIE" it is just an amazing moment I would like everyone to get the chance to recreate

I hope it's not my last Metallica performance because I would like many many many more, very very very soon - ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS MY RELOAD ALBUM, MY RELOAD ALBUM, ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'd like to add to Lord Lucan's comment, during Memory Remains (and I don't know why that song was in the set list to begin with) why did James feel the need to keep the crowd going with the Marianne Faithful chant for so ****ING long....it felt like an eternity, and I'm pretty sure people around me where booing him to get him to shut up and move onto the next song...anyone see some problem on stage they were trying to stall with or something???

And yeah, the whole Die thing, that was ****ing nonsense...I mean, on the Mexico live CD, when James is like "we got ourselves a long and noisy night ahead of us, you might as well start singing now - you're singing DIE DIE DIE" it is just an amazing moment I would like everyone to get the chance to recreate

I hope it's not my last Metallica performance because I would like many many many more, very very very soon - ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS MY RELOAD ALBUM, MY RELOAD ALBUM, ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS.....

Why would it be your last?

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Why would it be your last?

God willing or touch wood I mean, I don't think it will be though;)

I just hope the band don't suddenly decide to jack it in or Lars and James don't have a huge fight and go their separate ways....Metallica is a massive institution, a fast moving train, and it came to a stop once before because of James drinking and Jason's departure - hopefully Lars doesn't get hit by a bus or something lol

• Advertisement

A guy in the MetClub wants to win VIP tickets to Halifax to see Metallica, he lives there, and needs some help. He's entered a competition to win some on Facebook and needs votes to help keep him in the lead.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=question&id=229332173768336

Link on the link, sign into your account, and please vote for Benjamin by Nick M (2nd one down from top)

Come on folks, he is a fellow Metallica fan, and you can call it your good deed for the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

Bargain alert. 'Big 4' boxset (5cd and 2dvd version) for sale on play.com now for €32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

yknaa wrote: »
    Bargain alert. 'Big 4' boxset (5cd and 2dvd version) for sale on play.com now for €32
    Can't see it on there for that price???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

Degag wrote: »
    Can't see it on there for that price???

Yup - there and gone! Bought it but then received a mail later saying 'out of stock' and it is now back up to €72. FFS :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

God willing or touch wood I mean, I don't think it will be though;)

I just hope the band don't suddenly decide to jack it in or Lars and James don't have a huge fight and go their separate ways....Metallica is a massive institution, a fast moving train, and it came to a stop once before because of James drinking and Jason's departure - hopefully Lars doesn't get hit by a bus or something lol

I hope they do... and they get in a drummer who gives a ****.

Actually just throw a bucket of money at dave lombardo... Can you imagine Dyers Eve with him on the drums...?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Actually just throw a bucket of money at dave lombardo... Can you imagine Dyers Eve with him on the drums...?

Well Dave was fairly decent on the songs he did with them at Download a few years ago alright

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I hope they do... and they get in a drummer who gives a ****.

Lars goes and that's Metallica finished. Despite his low standard of drumming he's still the linchpin of Metallica along with Hetfield.

You won't find many Met fans who wouldn't want to see a Metallica with Lombardo but a this stage it's just a nice dream. Perversely having the big 4 on one stage highlights just how far down the Metal drumming chain he's fallen. Benante,Drover and Lombardo are streets ahead(Lombardo is in a different league tbh) of him. After watching Lombardo annihilate Knebworth with his drumming(i spent half of Slayers set watching the close-ups of him on the big screen with my gob on the floor.) and then to see Lars follow and throw his usual shapes and make it look like he's playing the hardest anyones ever played served to show the gulf.

I've a lot of time for Lars,he's a nice guy and really loves his band but his prowess behind his kit is waning badly now. He admits he doesn't practice anymore which sorta tells you all you need to know.

Lars goes and that's Metallica finished. Despite his low standard of drumming he's still the linchpin of Metallica along with Hetfield.

You won't find many Met fans who wouldn't want to see a Metallica with Lombardo but a this stage it's just a nice dream. Perversely having the big 4 on one stage highlights just how far down the Metal drumming chain he's fallen. Benante,Drover and Lombardo are streets ahead(Lombardo is in a different league tbh) of him. After watching Lombardo annihilate Knebworth with his drumming(i spent half of Slayers set watching the close-ups of him on the big screen with my gob on the floor.) and then to see Lars follow and throw his usual shapes and make it look like he's playing the hardest anyones ever played served to show the gulf.

I've a lot of time for Lars,he's a nice guy and really loves his band but his prowess behind his kit is waning badly now. He admits he doesn't practice anymore which sorta tells you all you need to know.

Tbf though he's just lazy. Look at the Mexico dvd... still some good flourishes.

Your dead right about lombardo being in a different league.

Amazing how a drummer in one of the most arguably recognizable musical acts on the planet just can't keep up with the basics of drumming and doesn't even practice.

Reminds me of this bloke....

ringo-starr19.jpg

although this is a more entertaining photo

RingoStarrwithThomas1984.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

lord lucan wrote:
    I've a lot of time for Lars,he's a nice guy
    Funnily enough almost anything I've ever seen of, or read about him suggests the exact opposite :).

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    Funnily enough almost anything I've ever seen of, or read about him suggests the exact opposite :).

I base my opinion on what fans who've met him have said and my own experience meeting him. I found him very amiable and attentive. He came across like he was actually listening to you and not just humouring you. He was enthusiastic about talk of previous gigs(still calls it the Point Depot,top marks:D) and forthright about why they didn't hit Dublin indoors last time out.

He's a mega wealthy man and practically lives on a different planet to me. He's a motormouth and used to annoy me a bit during TBA era when he was on MTV every 5 mins babbling about something or other. He seems to have calmed down a bit over the last few years. I reckon some of that was following the battering his name and image took in the wake of Napster when he was the public face of Metallica's war on downloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

and forthright about why they didn't hit Dublin indoors last time out.
    What was the reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Degag wrote: »
    What was the reason?

Venue couldn't accommodate an 'In the Round' set up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Lads ye do realise that metallica totally sold out after and justice for all today they are the milly vanilli of thrash :p
    i still listen to the old albums but im afraid that musically they are washed up has beens who care more abt money than their fans
    i saw metallica in their prime 20 years ago they were good.

Another thing that oaf on bass rob is some idiot

Lads ye do realise that metallica totally sold out after and justice for all today they are the milly vanilli of thrash :p
    i still listen to the old albums but im afraid that musically they are washed up has beens who care more abt money than their fans
    i saw metallica in their prime 20 years ago they were good.

There is a lot wrong with that post.

1) Milli Vanilli? Metallica play all their own instruments and write original songs. regardless of their talent level (lars) they are usually good for a few tunes at least.

2) Sold out? You mean made one of the most definitive rock albums ever and made a **** load of money from touring that album for years at a time which almost destroyed them?

3) Rob is a legend.

scudzilla wrote: »
    Venue couldn't accommodate an 'In the Round' set up

Yep. He said they looked into various permutations to make it work but wasn't happening. That's how they booked 2 nights for Belfast as they figured demand would be high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

If Metallica did end it'd be interesting to see what Hetfield and Kirk do. Lar would probably retire and talk about art or something, Rob would move on but I wonder would James and Kirk do solo stuff or retire or what?

I don't want them to end, though. :P I'm actually looking forward to the Lou Reed collab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Jako8 wrote: »
    If Metallica did end it'd be interesting to see what Hetfield and Kirk do. Lar would probably retire and talk about art or something, Rob would move on but I wonder would James and Kirk do solo stuff or retire or what?

I don't want them to end, though. :P I'm actually looking forward to the Lou Reed collab.

If it did end i couldn't see any of the guys (except maybe Rob) going into a different project, sure ya may see them pop up now and again as a guest artist but doubt they'd start/join any other bands full time, i mean it's only downhill after Metallica.

Kirk would probably retire to Hawaii and surf all day, I think James would just disappear totally, like you'll never hear from him again, pretty private person is old James. Lars would just go around annoying every fcucker till the end of his days, probably go into producing part time

scudzilla wrote: »
    Lars would just go around annoying every fcucker till the end of his days, probably go into producing part time

He'd probably reform Oasis with the Gallagher brothers and him on drums!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Why do you think that?

Advertisement