Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

lord lucan wrote: »
    He'd probably reform Oasis with the Gallagher brothers and him on drums!:pac:

And what would they name the band?? 'Bunch of Twats' would be appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

is there talk of the band finishing or something:eek:

shamrock55 wrote: »
    is there talk of the band finishing or something:eek:

Nah, some years left in the old dogs yet, just discussing what they'll do when it's over

Malice wrote: »
    Why do you think that?

You should know better

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

scudzilla wrote: »
    And what would they name the band?? 'Bunch of Twats' would be appropriate

Don't look back in St. Anger!:pac:

With extra tin pot snare

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    Don't look back in St. Anger!:pac:

With extra tin pot snare

If yer referring to St Anger don't ya mean Biscuit Tins instead of Snares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

scudzilla wrote: »
    If yer referring to St Anger don't ya mean Biscuit Tins instead of Snares?

Biscuit tins is being kind tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I personally think, barring a major fight or a fatal accident, Metallica will continue to perform in some capacity until at least either James or Lars dies

Maybe once they reach their mid 60s they will decide to curb touring to a few shows every now and again, mostly either acoustic or invite only gigs, but I reckon we have another 20 years of Metallica touring on a regular basis - just look at bands like Deep Purple, Rolling Stones, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest...the list goes on, lots of bands who tour well into their 60s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 StonedEnigma

I think you're right. Reckon it's safe to say they'll be going for a long time to come yet, barring the God that failed forbid, anything untoward happening... It's life for these guys, not that easy to give up when it's all you've being doing since teenage years... I can't imagine Lars going to work in behind a deli counter just yet...a la Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler":)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Agreed with the two above. There in their late 40's, so I reckon they've got years left. Not sure if I like the idea of them playing into their 60's though. I mean, I just think there's a certain time when a band should hang it up. Even though I love Metallica, I wouldn't want them to be like the Rolling Stones, and keep playing, and end up overstaying their welcome and just tarnishing their reputations. With all due respect to Stones, they just need to hang it up now.

For Metallica I reckon another 10 years will do ;)

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Even though I love Metallica, I wouldn't want them to be like the Rolling Stones, and keep playing, and end up overstaying their welcome and just tarnishing their reputations. With all due respect to Stones, they just need to hang it up now.

Jason always used to say that, he always used to say he figured that Metallica would finish when the time came and they couldn't physically do it....personally I don't think James ever agreed with him

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jemser

They like playing and they like money,there going to keep going for a few years yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i think most touring bands continue because when they are not on tour they don't know what to do with themselves!

after a year and a half on the road they take a few months off, work on an album and off again on tour.

if they stop then what?

they get bored.

their lives have benn and continue to be abnormal in that sense, they are practically institutionalised , metallica being the institution.

my real hope is that lars gets bored of it and they get a decent drummer in for a tour, probably never happen as he is one egocentric mutha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Jason always used to say that, he always used to say he figured that Metallica would finish when the time came and they couldn't physically do it....personally I don't think James ever agreed with him

Yeah cos James is still physically able to play the stuff... Lars on the other hand...

Lars is able alright...I just don't think he's that willing or interested in drums that much anymore, the financial and business side of Metallica is where his head is really at. Some would say it's located up his arse...but I digress....:)
    If Ian Paice from Deep Purple and others, who are much older, can still play dynamically night after night..then Lars can do it too...the question is if he wants to do it...

If Ian Paice from Deep Purple and others, who are much older, can still play dynamically night after night..then Lars can do it too...the question is if he wants to do it...

He's sort of forced too isn't he, I mean he has to play in order to earn more money and continue the business, and I think it would absurd to see Lars hire a replacement for himself so he's sort of stuck in this catch 22 - if he wants to continue with the business he has to continue performing

Then again, Lars may decide to adopt a new approach to drumming altogether on the next album, and immerse himself in that.

I felt his work on Death Magnetic was excellent, I didn't see anything particular worrying about it, I think people find it so easy to criticise Metallica and Lars in particular but he does do a good job when the time comes and he can create a unique sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

saw this today, joey filling in on creeping death.

now he is a class drummer BUT jeysus man the double bass fills are just rediculously fast and over the top!

dare i say it, i would have prefered lars.....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Apparently Lars wanted to hurt us

http://www.nme.com/news/metallica/58116

Apparently Lars wanted to hurt us

http://www.nme.com/news/metallica/58116

This is an interesting interview. It was published, from what I can tell, in full in Classic Rock about 2 months ago. It's a well written and well discussed interview in which Lars talks about stuff like his first wife and the Justice Tour with humour and honesty.

Then for some reason it shows up on NME - last night Blabbermouth picked it up, but in the two latter situations they ignored all the positives about the interview and focused on the negative quotes used to talk about St Anger and nothing else.

This isn't new, neither is it news, because we all know St Anger was a terrible record (albeit with a little good) and we don't need Lars attempting to avoid answering the question - Lars can't badmouth his own terrible creation, even if he wants too, just as much as he can't honestly admit the bass doesn't exist on AJFA...

Do yourself a favour and seek out the original interview from Classic Rock, it's well written and a credit to the Journalist for thinking outside the box, just a shame this idiot culture we have on Blabbermouth.net and NME means that we get nothing but rehashes of St Anger.

....AND IN OTHER ST ANGER NEWS....

When the album was originally released, it was planned to have the cover in four different colours (maybe some of you have seen the lithographs), anyway this didn't happen...but last night a fan in the US posted on the MetClub that he had just been to Walmart and found, and purchased, an alternative colour cover for St Anger - so rare even the admin of the MetClub had to enquire how he managed to find it....

fw6mhd.jpg

Interesting article Jack.
    " Ulrich also said that though he understood why some people rated 'St Anger' as the band's worst album, he didn't personally couldn't rank Metallica's releases. He added: "I think it’s fair to say some people think it’s our worst album. But I can’t. The way I view the world, I can’t rank them from best to worst. That kind of simplicity doesn’t exist for me."

I'm glad that kind of simplicity doesn't exist for Lars (as he's still selling records;), but it does for a lot of people/fans. St. Anger is easily their poorest release for me. Unfortunately, motley I would disagree in some ways, as much I like Lars and Metallica,- he hasn't immersed himself in drumming for a long time or adopted any new approaches to drumming. Death Magnetic was a good album, and a definite step back in the right direction, however. I'll still be very interested to see where they go from here. I think people in the drumming community , especially, are a little disappointed that he has removed himself from being focused on the drums, to being more business-oriented within the Metallica organisation. (And let's face it,- Metallica is an organisation and has been for a long time. And why not?) It is easy for people to take pot shots and make grandiose remarks about their idols or heroes, but as a fan, I'd like to think we can look objectively at our heroes and not think every single thing they do is wonderful!
    His once stellar drumming from the 80's and early 90's has waned, and I don't think that's a lofty or supernatural statement. He's still good, but a lot of fans feel his drum skills haven't progressed since the 90's. As he once said himself "Drumming is one of the least things I do in Metallica".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

This is an interesting interview. It was published, from what I can tell, in full in Classic Rock about 2 months ago. It's a well written and well discussed interview in which Lars talks about stuff like his first wife and the Justice Tour with humour and honesty.

Then for some reason it shows up on NME - last night Blabbermouth picked it up, but in the two latter situations they ignored all the positives about the interview and focused on the negative quotes used to talk about St Anger and nothing else.

This isn't new, neither is it news, because we all know St Anger was a terrible record (albeit with a little good) and we don't need Lars attempting to avoid answering the question - Lars can't badmouth his own terrible creation, even if he wants too, just as much as he can't honestly admit the bass doesn't exist on AJFA...

Do yourself a favour and seek out the original interview from Classic Rock, it's well written and a credit to the Journalist for thinking outside the box, just a shame this idiot culture we have on Blabbermouth.net and NME means that we get nothing but rehashes of St Anger.

....AND IN OTHER ST ANGER NEWS....

When the album was originally released, it was planned to have the cover in four different colours (maybe some of you have seen the lithographs), anyway this didn't happen...but last night a fan in the US posted on the MetClub that he had just been to Walmart and found, and purchased, an alternative colour cover for St Anger - so rare even the admin of the MetClub had to enquire how he managed to find it....

fw6mhd.jpg

thats just been in the shop so long that its faded:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Just found this online... it's prtty funny in places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Interesting article Jack.
    " Ulrich also said that though he understood why some people rated 'St Anger' as the band's worst album, he didn't personally couldn't rank Metallica's releases. He added: "I think it’s fair to say some people think it’s our worst album. But I can’t. The way I view the world, I can’t rank them from best to worst. That kind of simplicity doesn’t exist for me."

I'm glad that kind of simplicity doesn't exist for Lars (as he's still selling records;), but it does for a lot of people/fans. St. Anger is easily their poorest release for me. Unfortunately, motley I would disagree in some ways, as much I like Lars and Metallica,- he hasn't immersed himself in drumming for a long time or adopted any new approaches to drumming. Death Magnetic was a good album, and a definite step back in the right direction, however. I'll still be very interested to see where they go from here. I think people in the drumming community , especially, are a little disappointed that he has removed himself from being focused on the drums, to being more business-oriented within the Metallica organisation. (And let's face it,- Metallica is an organisation and has been for a long time. And why not?) It is easy for people to take pot shots and make grandiose remarks about their idols or heroes, but as a fan, I'd like to think we can look objectively at our heroes and not think every single thing they do is wonderful!
    His once stellar drumming from the 80's and early 90's has waned, and I don't think that's a lofty or supernatural statement. He's still good, but a lot of fans feel his drum skills haven't progressed since the 90's. As he once said himself "Drumming is one of the least things I do in Metallica".

And so the old "Is Lars Ulrich good/bad at drumming" chestnut rears it's head, yet again!!!! This f***ing thread has a feel of Groundhog Day about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

There hasn't been any more word on the Lou Reed album since the initial announcement, has there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

There hasn't been any more word on the Lou Reed album since the initial announcement, has there?

only news I've seen lately is that the photo shoots have been done and artwork is in progress. I think they're looking at a November release for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

only news I've seen lately is that the photo shoots have been done and artwork is in progress. I think they're looking at a November release for it.
    Thats more than I could find on the MetClub! thanks!!!

Originally posted by Mental Mickey
    "And so the old "Is Lars Ulrich good/bad at drumming" chestnut rears it's head, yet again!!!! This f***ing thread has a feel of Groundhog Day about it."

I just joined boards man...give us a chance, jesus!..

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Lars was excellent at sonisphere :pac:

Which I really shouldn't have to say but oh well ha

Am I Evil? wrote: »
    Lars was excellent at sonisphere :pac:

Which I really shouldn't have to say but oh well ha

I think the discussion was about his drumming, not what the pair of ya got up to in his dressing room :P;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

you can stop sending me questions in private messages scud.. i wont tell you what we got up to :pac:

lars :cool: haha

Advertisement