Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I need to win the Lotto.:)

http://www.metallica.com/news/jul-27-2011-thirty-years.asp
    Thirty years of Metallica... can you believe it? We think it's cause for a major celebration! You've been asking for a while now "just what the hell are you going to do to mark 30 years as a band?" closely followed by "why don't we have more exclusive shows for Fan Club members?" We've heard you loud and clear and are beyond psyched to announce that the week of December 5, 2011 will be a full on Metallica week in the Bay Area, more specifically we will be playing four shows for Met Club members only at the historic Fillmore in San Francisco on December 5, 7, 9, and 10 to celebrate our 30th anniversary. These unique shows will include special guests and events, rare songs, varied set lists, odds and ends, and all the nutty stuff you expect from Metallica... fun for the entire family! Come to the Bay Area and spend the week with us to not only close out 2011 out with a bang, but to celebrate over three decades worth of craziness.

Participate in the entire week of festivities with special four pack tickets (one ticket for each of the four shows) and automatic entry into the contests for various other special events, available for the clever price of $19.81 (get it??). If you can't join us for the full week, we'll have individual show tickets too and as you can see we're going back to early '80's ticket pricing (but not the hair!)... single show tickets will be just $6.00 each. Both four packs and individual show tickets will be available for Fan Club members only through a reservation system and we do have to add facility fees, blah, blah. Clubbers can log in for all the details... we're taking reservations through August 8.

Hope to see you for a week of madness in December!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

lord lucan wrote: »

tell me about it Lucan - this would be a week of a lifetime, but I haven't got any kidneys left to sell...........Lotto it is.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Anyone got any tips for robbing a bank?

don't get caught :D:D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Make sure it's not a blood bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm still going to buy a ticket because it'll probably be a souvenir type thing...just need the airfare, I'll sleep in the bus station, I don't care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Wonder will they treat us Europeans to something special to mark this??

:confused:

I'm still going to buy a ticket because it'll probably be a souvenir type thing...just need the airfare, I'll sleep in the bus station, I don't care

I was thinking the same but you need to pick up your tickets each night from the looks of things

Edit: Actually, I'm looking at the cost of the flights at the moment. Should get flights and accommodation for the week for about a grand...

Well, I know there were plans by a lot of people to go to Dreamforce in San Francisco in Sep, I figure anyone whose spent money on going there and can't afford heading back in December will be kicking themselves

I'll wait until August 8th to make any judgements

It's a pity isn't it that they don't organise a flight over from the UK and other large population countries like Germany etc for the fans direct to San Francisco. A flight two days before the first gig and maybe two days after the last. Have a stipulation that only people who have the tickets for all four nights (or 3 out of 4) are able to purchase plane tickets for the flight.

I mean, what, a plane full of Metallica fans all departing on the same time with the airfare at a considerably cheaper price - I think that would be a massive help to everyone, and people wouldn't mind trekking to London or whatnot if it meant they were saving a little money and everyone was taking the same route.

Metallica want to make this a huge celebration for all their fans, then help those who might not be able to afford going to San Francisco!

Well, I know there were plans by a lot of people to go to Dreamforce in San Francisco in Sep, I figure anyone whose spent money on going there and can't afford heading back in December will be kicking themselves

I'll wait until August 8th to make any judgements

It's a pity isn't it that they don't organise a flight over from the UK and other large population countries like Germany etc for the fans direct to San Francisco. A flight two days before the first gig and maybe two days after the last. Have a stipulation that only people who have the tickets for all four nights (or 3 out of 4) are able to purchase plane tickets for the flight.

I mean, what, a plane full of Metallica fans all departing on the same time with the airfare at a considerably cheaper price - I think that would be a massive help to everyone, and people wouldn't mind trekking to London or whatnot if it meant they were saving a little money and everyone was taking the same route.

Metallica want to make this a huge celebration for all their fans, then help those who might not be able to afford going to San Francisco![/QUOTE]

They should then announce a 30th Anniversary World Tour.

• Advertisement

Don't they have private jets? This is entirely feasible, if they let the Queen land in Baldonnell surely Air-Metallica will get a spot :P

Don't they have private jets? This is entirely feasible, if they let the Queen land in Baldonnell surely Air-Metallica will get a spot :P

I would think that they would have a private jet for the 4 of em and their families.....?

Iron Maiden organised this, right?

So why not Metallica. I don't want Lars flying the bloody plane but this would be something that could help those in the UK and Ireland reach San Francisco - from a Central location like London Heathrow. It makes sense, and, it allows Metallica to invite more fans then just the super rich or those with a few thousand in their back pocket.

On the same token why don't Metallica organise hotels in San Fran for their guests, they don't even have to pay for them, just maybe a 10 or 20% discount and in return the hotel gets an assurance of loads of rooms and business...this is something that they could do, and I don't see why not?

It actually pisses me off that as a Fan Club member, after shelling out for the Fan Can, the membership and the shift knobs that Metallica are still going to charge us a token amount for our tickets if we win them. There are so many fans in the MetClub it makes more sense to organise concerts around major locations, kind of like they did with Death Magnetic's launch parties....

And yes, there are probably tens of thousands of people who are Metallica Club Members, and I'm only new to the whole thing, but maybe there really isn't a point to these kind of competitions if they exclude those of us who just can't afford to get to America or even travel halfway across it!

So why not Metallica. I don't want Lars flying the bloody plane but this would be something that could help those in the UK and Ireland reach San Francisco - from a Central location like London Heathrow. It makes sense, and, it allows Metallica to invite more fans then just the super rich or those with a few thousand in their back pocket.

On the same token why don't Metallica organise hotels in San Fran for their guests, they don't even have to pay for them, just maybe a 10 or 20% discount and in return the hotel gets an assurance of loads of rooms and business...this is something that they could do, and I don't see why not?

It actually pisses me off that as a Fan Club member, after shelling out for the Fan Can, the membership and the shift knobs that Metallica are still going to charge us a token amount for our tickets if we win them. There are so many fans in the MetClub it makes more sense to organise concerts around major locations, kind of like they did with Death Magnetic's launch parties....

And yes, there are probably tens of thousands of people who are Metallica Club Members, and I'm only new to the whole thing, but maybe there really isn't a point to these kind of competitions if they exclude those of us who just can't afford to get to America or even travel halfway across it!

As long as they make $ they don't give a s**t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

now that you mention it, i actually do want lars to fly the plane!

My quotes for details are as follows. If I plan to leave on Monday December 5th and come back a week later on Monday December 12th. Flying from Newcastle in the UK via London Heathrow and all prices in British pounds.

Exchange rate on XE.com

Flights - £ 581.51

Accommodation for 7 Nights - Ranges from £88 (if you don't care where you sleep) to £192 for a single room in a hotel less than a block from the Warfield Theatre and 1.3miles from the Fillmore District

This just might happen

http://www.greentortoise.com/san-francisco-hostel/index.php

i stayed there in 2003 for Primus ...sanfran is small enough you can walk to the warfield or get a bus from the hostel.

I've just booked a place called the Cable Court Hotel, free cancellation so if anything happens or I don't get a ticket I'll just cancel the booking but better to book the room now at as low a price as possible then struggle to find one this time next week when MetClub announce the winners!

I'm going to wait to see if I get tickets before I do anything. Looks like I can get over there and stay in a nice hotel for a grand. Besides, I need a fecking holiday! :P

Sorry Crue,but i'm gonna disagree with you on the fan club.

It's not the Band or Fan Clubs problem if people can't travel. The events are being organised in Metallica's home town and it's not up to the band to ferry people to and from it. They set it up and make it available,the onus is on the fans to make their own way if they want to attend.

Metclub is brilliant from a fans point of view. It's raised the bar in terms of the perks it offers like pre-sale tickets,early entry to gigs,M&G opportunities without paying $$$. Whilst the band have always been fan-friendly i don't see why they should pay the way of fans to go see them. They held 2 shows in September 2008 in London & Berlin to launch Death Magnetic. Tickets were only €5 and open to fan club and Misssion Metallica members but the onus was on fans to make their own way there. Many US fans felt aggrieved that an American band were spending so much time in Europe and not on their 'home turf' and were being denied these special shows. Many did travel from around the world for them,most not being super rich but regular people who saved hard and sacrificed stuff to be there. This is no different imo.

I'd be shocked if the money raised from this doesn't go to a local charity. All the proceeds from the DM launch gigs went to local charities in London & Berlin. I believe 10% of the gate receipts from every show they play goes to a local charity. Money's not a motivation imo,the Fillmore only holds around 1000 iirc so their running costs would be considerably more than any money taken in.

I'd love to go but finances and time probably won't permit it so i'll enjoy the forum updates from the gigs and the videos posted afterwards. Knowing Metallica i reckon there'll be all sorts of ****ed up **** going on at them shows. There's a number of songs they've never played live which i reckon will get played and i'd be surprised if you don't see the likes of Jason Newsted,Lemmy and maybe even Mustaine hop up on stage with them.

• Advertisement

Sorry Crue,but i'm gonna disagree with you on the fan club.

No please, I encourage you to disagree with me, I'm just a little pissed off because I didn't get a shift knob last night and spent an hour of my life watching Internal Errors on the screen lol - but my all means, my position is not infallible

The fan club has its moments, don't get me wrong, and their Top Secret section on the website has made my membership worth it being honest...I have entered a few M&G's, secret shows and shift knobs and I'm still all for nothing...but I live in hope that one day I too can own a scary devil thing that's meant to go around the clutch of a car but nobody ever uses it for that
    and i'd be surprised if you don't see the likes of Jason Newsted,Lemmy and maybe even Mustaine hop up on stage with them.

You know, I may not get there, because I often have big ideas with little money but truly, if I did get there, then this in itself would make the trip worth it.

That and I'd love to see San Francisco again

I'd love to go but finances and time probably won't permit it so i'll enjoy the forum updates from the gigs and the videos posted afterwards. Knowing Metallica i reckon there'll be all sorts of ****ed up **** going on at them shows. There's a number of songs they've never played live which i reckon will get played and i'd be surprised if you don't see the likes of Jason Newsted,Lemmy and maybe even Mustaine hop up on stage with them.

lads I don't have the money either, but I didn't have the money for Sonisphere either and managed to pull it off, so we'll see (if only I had another kidney to sell)...........

I'm with Lucan on the Fan Club stuff Crue, we are spoilt by Metallica as it is with regards to shows, living in Europe definitely has it's benefits - I know it's much easier for them to go around Europe in 6-8 weeks and Lars gets to see family etc..... but I'd talked to a fair few US fans that just never get to see them without travelling significant distances, these anniversary shows are all about celebrating a Bay Area group, so it would be odd if they didn't do it in the Bay Area..........the size of the venue well that's a completely different matter, I know the Fillmore is historic, but with the amount of people that are applying for tickets maybe it should be in a larger venue in San Fran......

it was the first thing a mate and I said yesterday Lucan - we'd expect Jason to make an appearance and I'd be surprised with the new found love if Dave wasn't included too - after all they are part of the bands 30 year history....

NIBBS wrote: »
    lads I don't have the money either, but I didn't have the money for Sonisphere either and managed to pull it off, so we'll see (if only I had another kidney to sell)...........

I'm with Lucan on the Fan Club stuff Crue, we are spoilt by Metallica as it is with regards to shows, living in Europe definitely has it's benefits - I know it's much easier for them to go around Europe in 6-8 weeks and Lars gets to see family etc..... but I'd talked to a fair few US fans that just never get to see them without travelling significant distances, these anniversary shows are all about celebrating a Bay Area group, so it would be odd if they didn't do it in the Bay Area..........the size of the venue well that's a completely different matter, I know the Fillmore is historic, but with the amount of people that are applying for tickets maybe it should be in a larger venue in San Fran......

it was the first thing a mate and I said yesterday Lucan - we'd expect Jason to make an appearance and I'd be surprised with the new found love if Dave wasn't included too - after all they are part of the bands 30 year history....

.......................maybe Cliff's family will be included too....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

An oldie but a goodie, very funny too, especially the request from the young kid at the Greet the Meat yoke

Can anybody remember what show during the World Magnetic Tour where during The Day That Never Comes, there was sound troubles and the speakers needed to be fixed? I remember there was a MetOnTour Video about it

Can anybody remember what show during the World Magnetic Tour where during The Day That Never Comes, there was sound troubles and the speakers needed to be fixed? I remember there was a MetOnTour Video about it
    guatamala deffo had trouble ...think it was two years ago. Hetfield playing flat out and the fans couldn't hear a thing!!

Think it was in Atlanta. I'm on the mobile in work and can't check but i think it was there. The techs had to get up to the pa and fix it and they started the song from scratch again.

Edit: it was Cleveland now that I think about it. I'll have a check when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

scudzilla wrote: »
    An oldie but a goodie, very funny too, especially the request from the young kid at the Greet the Meat yoke

Love the fact that he says the Mars Volta are one of his favourites!! :D:D:D

And I can't believe they played that kid's demo! That is amazing!!!

Think it was in Atlanta. I'm on the mobile in work and can't check but i think it was there. The techs had to get up to the pa and fix it and they started the song from scratch again.

Edit: it was Cleveland now that I think about it. I'll have a check when I get home.

Just found it on MetOnTour there, it was Cleveland, cheers!!

• Advertisement

Only four more days until "the draw"
    These unique shows will include special guests and events, rare songs, varied set lists, odds and ends, and all the nutty stuff you expect from Metallica... fun for the entire family! Come to the Bay Area and spend the week with us to not only close out 2011 out with a bang, but to celebrate over three decades worth of craziness

Get speculating, who's coming?

Advertisement