Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Was looking on the Met Club boards. Theres realistic speculation as in Lou Reed, Jason Newstead, Dave Mustaine and other members of the Big 4. And wild speculation as in Green Day, U2 etc.

This will happen: DMX and Swiss Beats for the only ever live performance of "We Did It". Mark my words . . . . . .

Was looking on the Met Club boards. Theres realistic speculation as in Lou Reed, Jason Newstead, Dave Mustaine and other members of the Big 4. And wild speculation as in Green Day, U2 etc.

This will happen: DMX and Swiss Beats for the only ever live performance of "We Did It". Mark my words . . . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I felt physically sick seeing U2,Green Day and Swizz Beatz in the same post as Metallica!:eek::eek:

lord lucan wrote: »
    I felt physically sick seeing U2,Green Day and Swizz Beatz in the same post as Metallica!:eek::eek:
    The U2, Green Day link comes from that rumoured G3 summit or whatever, apparently they are planning a festival where each band headlines a night. This coming from comments U2 made on stage in California

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The U2, Green Day link comes from that rumoured G3 summit or whatever, apparently they are planning a festival where each band headlines a night. This coming from comments U2 made on stage in California

I'd be surprised to see Metallica at an event like that, following on from James' comments after the Live Earth gig in Wembley in 2007. He hated the whole atmosphere and the "fakeness" of the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'd be surprised to see Metallica at an event like that, following on from James' comments after the Live Earth gig in Wembley in 2007. He hated the whole atmosphere and the "fakeness" of the whole thing.

Did he really say that in an interview? I'm impressed, I have to admit, if he said that as it is a reflection of true honesty - that entire event was coming from a good heart but it just didn't end up being more than a mockery of Live Aid. It reminded me of a little known, or much forgotten, event called Net Aid that was held in the late 90s and was broadcast on the Internet....it attracted a lot of big name acts but there is hardly any note of the event now (most saw it as a cheap rip off of Live Aid) and no footage - that I know of - was released....

Back on topic, the draw is today, and who know's what will happen!:D

Did he really say that in an interview? I'm impressed, I have to admit, if he said that as it is a reflection of true honesty - that entire event was coming from a good heart but it just didn't end up being more than a mockery of Live Aid. It reminded me of a little known, or much forgotten, event called Net Aid that was held in the late 90s and was broadcast on the Internet....it attracted a lot of big name acts but there is hardly any note of the event now (most saw it as a cheap rip off of Live Aid) and no footage - that I know of - was released....

Back on topic, the draw is today, and who know's what will happen!:D

Yup. Can't remember where I read it but he did say it. He wasn't into the idea of playing that gig - it was Lars' idea(surprise!), so he(James)just turned up, played the gig and f***ed off until they played their own gig the following day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yup. Can't remember where I read it but he did say it. He wasn't into the idea of playing that gig - it was Lars' idea(surprise!), so he(James)just turned up, played the gig and f***ed off until they played their own gig the following day.
    yeah i heard they didn't come out of their dressing rooms until showtime such was the "fakeness" of backstage....that's probably james said "think for yourselves" as his main speech that day ...he was rebelling in a subtle way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Good luck to everyone else in the draw - praying for a bit of luck this time (though it'll be really painful financially - but that's only money, this is a chance in a lifetime)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If there was ever a band who shouldn't have played at the farce that was Live Earth it was Metallica.

How a band who openly travely exclusively by airplane to gigs could play a gig promoting the environment is a joke. When they play Europe, doesn't Lars base himself in London or one location and fly out to every gig or something? And Kirk something similar?

I know when this argument came up before (can't remember if it was on this forum) the argument was put forward that they travel by plane beause of the distress of the Cliff's death in a bus crash. Complete rubbish! They were back in a bus a month after Cliff's death and did so quite happily for the next 6-7 years until about half way through the Black Album tour in mid-late '92.

Anyway, I'm not into the save the earth thingy and the whole day was a joke as musicians with all their travel are probably the worst offenders when it comes to carbon footprints but why Metallica agreed to play there I'll never know.

• Advertisement

If there was ever a band who shouldn't have played at the farce that was Live Earth it was Metallica.

How a band who openly travely exclusively by airplane to gigs could play a gig promoting the environment is a joke. When they play Europe, doesn't Lars base himself in London or one location and fly out to every gig or something? And Kirk something similar?
    I know when this argument came up before (can't remember if it was on this forum) the argument was put forward that they travel by plane beause of the distress of the Cliff's death in a bus crash. Complete rubbish! They were back in a bus a month after Cliff's death and did so quite happily for the next 6-7 years until about half way through the Black Album tour in mid-late '92.

Anyway, I'm not into the save the earth thingy and the whole day was a joke as musicians with all their travel are probably the worst offenders when it comes to carbon footprints but why Metallica agreed to play there I'll never know.

Yup. Kirk n Lars base themselves in one location and James n Rob somewhere else.

Yup. Kirk n Lars base themselves in one location and James n Rob somewhere else.

I had no idea. I know they travel separately, completely separate, but I would imagine that they just went from Hotel to Hotel considering they might have a gig in Norway one night and then another in Finland the next - seems pointless to fly back to Denmark for a few hours rest.

Having said that, didn't Axl Rose take a helicopter from the service of someone pretty famous, to fly from London to each regional location of his gigs the week GNR played in the UK back in 2006? I'm nearly positive I read that the mad bastard would leave a gig and then take a helicopter ride back to London regardless of the hour before going out clubbing until about 6am. I think he sleeps during the day - NUDE, in an oxygen tank he believes gives him SEXUAL powers lol

It's great what lies the press can make up isn't it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Best of luck to all of ye that applied. Threw my name in the hat as well, it's going to be a barren Christmas this year if I get tickets!

Best of luck guys, didn't throw my name in this time. But there's always the 40th anniversary :P

Best of luck guys, didn't throw my name in this time. But there's always the 40th anniversary :P

Well, it's 22.36 and I haven't been emailed - they were supposed to be sending out emails at 10GMT and they're pretty sharp on this...so I fear the worst...I've logged into my account and I'm checking the contest page....OK, still waiting to hear at some stage over night, so I'm going to let a sleeping dog lie and check on this in the morning!

Good luck everyone, if I do win a four pack I only plan on buying one, so if there's another MetClub member out there who misses out and wants some tickets I've no problem helping you attend! There's only going to be one chance for the four packs so we'll see what happens....:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It's 1 am. They're on west coast which is 8 hours behind

I didn't win, just going to have to wait until Friday and the drawings for the Individual shows. I shouldn't be so disappointed, but I am, I won't be cancelling the hotel just yet as I want to see about the Individual shows.

I don't think anyone did, but I'd wonder what happened to those who just entered for the four pack and then never entered for the Individual shows...as all lotteries are now closed. And I wonder what kind of percentage - 20%, 50% - managed to get tickets for all four nights up front?

I think someone worked it out that each member had a 0.02% chance of winning a Four Pack - apparently there are better odds of winning the Lottery in a country like Luxembourg if the entire population entered the draw twice or something....

I didn't win, just going to have to wait until Friday and the drawings for the Individual shows. I shouldn't be so disappointed, but I am, I won't be cancelling the hotel just yet as I want to see about the Individual shows.

I don't think anyone did, but I'd wonder what happened to those who just entered for the four pack and then never entered for the Individual shows...as all lotteries are now closed. And I wonder what kind of percentage - 20%, 50% - managed to get tickets for all four nights up front?

I think someone worked it out that each member had a 0.02% chance of winning a Four Pack - apparently there are better odds of winning the Lottery in a country like Luxembourg if the entire population entered the draw twice or something....
    But isn't there other events happening that week as well as the show? They are probably doing HQ tours, signings maybe? Its not all about the shows, but I guess the shows would make the trip worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

But isn't there other events happening that week as well as the show? They are probably doing HQ tours, signings maybe? Its not all about the shows, but I guess the shows would make the trip worth it

True, but imagine how you'd feel if ya flew 10,000 miles and were stuck outside The Fillmore.....ticketless

scudzilla wrote: »
    True, but imagine how you'd feel if ya flew 10,000 miles and were stuck outside The Fillmore.....ticketless
    Hence my last statement that the trip would only be worth it if you were going to one of the shows

• Advertisement

Ugh no...........Can you imagine a near 60 year old Hetfield singing stuff like "Master Of Puppets"? I don't even want to think about that tbh. :eek:

Ugh no...........Can you imagine a near 60 year old Hetfield singing stuff like "Master Of Puppets"? I don't even want to think about that tbh. :eek:

Hetfield was born in 1963, he's 48 - so in 10 years, at 58, he'd been the same age as Bowie was when the latter performed this at Fashion Rocks

Now, a 58 year old man can perform, without question, the songs of yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I always figured they just played because they were in town for their own show the next day and thought it'd be a bit of craic. Never heard the band being environmentally aware before(or since) so i guess it was just a warm up show so to speak. That whole gig was one of the most absurd gigs you could wish to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

lord lucan wrote: »
    I always figured they just played because they were in town for their own show the next day and thought it'd be a bit of craic. Never heard the band being environmentally aware before(or since) so i guess it was just a warm up show so to speak. That whole gig was one of the most absurd gigs you could wish to see.
    yeah i think they just played becuase they could....and what about Fight fire with fire!! An old eco song!

No luck here either I'm afraid. I didn't apply for the individual shows either. Ah well.

No luck here either I'm afraid. I didn't apply for the individual shows either. Ah well.

If I win any Individual tickets I don't have a plus one, would you be interested in going to one of them?

If I win any Individual tickets I don't have a plus one, would you be interested in going to one of them?

Appreciate the offer but to be honest it's a long way to go for one or two shows. I know it'll be a special occasion but I'll save the money for the next U.S. tour.

A mate of mine in the UK won the 4 Pack!

Good for him, I'll wait until Friday and hope I'm lucky enough to join him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Appreciate the offer but to be honest it's a long way to go for one or two shows. I know it'll be a special occasion but I'll save the money for the next U.S. tour.

Wasn't a guy called Matt was it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭yknaa

Originally Posted by yknaa
    Bargain alert. 'Big 4' boxset (5cd and 2dvd version) for sale on play.com now for €32

Degag wrote: »
    Can't see it on there for that price???

Got it delivered today for €29 on play.com. Arrived sealed in a amazon box. :D Keep an eye on play.com if interested as the price seems to vary a good bit.

Advertisement