Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

For those who don't know, another draw takes place today, this time for Individual tickets to Metallica shows at the Fillmore in December. You've about a 0.05% chance of actually winning a ticket if 80% of the MetClub members have entered this draw...so hopefully I can be very lucky and win myself a ticket to at least one night.

Results will be announced between 5pm and 9pm tonight, GMT, when winners will be randomly selected and then emailed privately to inform them of their good fortune. Anyone who doesn't purchase their ticket by next Tuesday will have the offer revoked and a second draw will take place, at which there is another chance of winning a ticket.

If going, I'll be staying in the Cable Car Court Hotel, and would like to recommend it for anyone thinking of travelling to the US
    http://cablecarcourthotel.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

20 years today since TBA was released,i feel old!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

lord lucan wrote: »
    20 years today since TBA was released,i feel old!:eek::eek:

That's cos ya are old you ancient twat!!! :P:P

My favourite TBA track. Would love to hear this live one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

scudzilla wrote: »
    That's cos ya are old you ancient twat!!! :P:P
    A lowly user abusing a moderator? Tut tut! :p

August 13th 1991. I was just about to enter secondary school. Great, now I feel old too :).

As for the black album, it's got some great tracks on it (Wherever I May Roam, Misery) and it's definitely my favourite Metallica album after Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, Kill 'Em All and Justice For All.

Out of curiosity am I the only person who can't stand Enter Sandman?

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »

After years of hearing it live i've found i can't listen to the recorded version as it sounds slow and turgid. I think that and the fact that MTV played the bejaysus out of it in 1991 turned me off of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Nope. I can't stand it live anymore. While it does get the crowd going I'd much rather hear something like Motorbreath or Dyers Eve! The Death Magnetic launch shows when it was dropped from the set were awesome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anynews on new album?

I lost every chance and draw I entered. I'm really disappointed as I would have made the effort to travel to San Francisco in a heartbeat for one of my musical idols. I see a lot of disappointed faces in the MetClub this morning, I don't even want to think about the second drawing on Tuesday, because I doubt that will have any sway for me either. I'm really crushed by this news....I'd like to say at least I'll have a chance at a Shift Knob to cheer myself up, but after last time, I'm not even confident in getting one of those.

And to make this day even worse Jani Lane has just died

But on the plus side the Premier League is back on :).

• Advertisement

I appreciate your optimistic outlook, but I can't stand football:p

*awaits abuse*

I appreciate your optimistic outlook, but I can't stand football:p

*awaits abuse*
    Ah not at all (at least not from me). There's plenty of space here for footy-related discussion. I'm just looking forward to an afternoon pleasantly wasted in the pub.

On a Metallica-related note I was in the gym earlier and got a happy surprise when, instead of the usual dance/chart rubbish we were treated to someone's rock & metal mix. The highlight of this for me was Eye of The Beholder. Now maybe it was just the sound system that they had but for once the squelchy sound of the drums didn't annoy me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

The gym + And Justice For All is amazing. If you are still able to work out by the time Dyer's Eve comes on, you're not doing it hard enough :D

Thankfully it was just the one song, not the whole album :).

feylya wrote: »
    The gym + And Justice For All is amazing. If you are still able to work out by the time Dyer's Eve comes on, you're not doing it hard enough :D

Fantastic, maybe that's Lars personal workout every morning

Actually, just thinking about that, I wonder how Metallica feel about their own songs. I mean, their material (that they wrote and composed) is criticised and talked about online, broken up and remixed and played by fans around the world...I wonder how Lars feels when he hears AJFA

(and I don't mean when he plays it, cause you gotta believe he does that **** blindfolded and just checks out in his mind, I mean when he actually sits down and listens to his own work...or do you think they even bother at this stage?)

You can imagine Lars driving the kids to school, and "One" comes on the radio, Lars just turns to the kids and mutters "not this **** again" and changes the station lol

YAY!!:)

Oh wait,i'm a Gooner!:(

You can imagine Lars driving the kids to school, and "One" comes on the radio, Lars just turns to the kids and mutters "not this **** again" and changes the station lol

Slightly related,i read an interview a while back were Lars was saying one of his kids was rocking out to Rust In Peace in the car on the school run. He loved it and apparently gave Lars the chance to listen to it and get into it again. Now he won't shut up about it,even writing the liner notes for the anniversary edition i believe.

From reading between the lines i get the impression they don't listen to their back catalogue at all. They seem happy to make music,tour the bejaysus out of it and then move on. In one interview at the beginning of the MOP run through Europe in 2006 they mentioned it being the first time they'd sat down and actually listened to the album in years despite playing various tracks from it over the years.

Slightly related,i read an interview a while back were Lars was saying one of his kids was rocking out to Rust In Peace in the car on the school run.

I remember that, yes, and he has contributed the liner notes to Peace Sells 25th Anniversary edition...although I haven't read what he said....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I remember that, yes, and he has contributed the liner notes to Peace Sells 25th Anniversary edition...although I haven't read what he said....

Probably something along the lines of....."This is the album we would have wrote if we hadn't teamed up wit that Bob Rock prick'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

YAY!!:)

Oh wait,i'm a Gooner!:(

Ahahahaha, I know how you feel.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Release date announced

http://www.loureedmetallica.com/

(sh1t name for the album as well if that's it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Release date announced

http://www.loureedmetallica.com/

(sh1t name for the album as well if that's it)

Meh

I suppose it's good that we won't have to wait long

Who thinks Metallica are going to play some "secret" dates under the name Lulu around the albums release....:rolleyes:

By that, I mean should you see a listing for a band named Lulu in Whelans this side of Christmas it would be in your best interest to attend...

I suppose it's good that we won't have to wait long

Who thinks Metallica are going to play some "secret" dates under the name Lulu around the albums release....:rolleyes:

By that, I mean should you see a listing for a band named Lulu in Whelans this side of Christmas it would be in your best interest to attend...

'Tallica in Whelan's???? LOL - we wish!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I for one am intrigued to hear this album, and delighted to hear any new material from Metallica at all, even though its mainly a Lou Reed album

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

I for one am intrigued to hear this album, and delighted to hear any new material from Metallica at all, even though its mainly a Lou Reed album

Knowing what the 2 plays this album is based on are about, it should be fairly interesting

Knowing what the 2 plays this album is based on are about, it should be fairly interesting

Do enlighten us.................?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

From the website
    "Lulu" was inspired by German expressionist writer Frank Wededkind's plays "Earth Spirit" and "Pandora's Box," which tell a story of a young abused dancer's life and relationships and are now collectively known as the "Lulu Plays." Since their publication in the early 1900's, the plays have been the inspiration for a silent film ("Pandora's Box," 1929), an opera, and countless other creative endeavors. Originally the lyrics and musical landscape were sketched out by Lou for a theatrical production in Berlin, but after coming together with the 'Tallica boys for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concerts in New York in 2009 all guilty parties knew they wanted to make more music together. Lou was inspired enough by that performance to recently ask the band to join him in taking his theatrical "Lulu" piece to the next level and so starting in early May of this year we were all camped out recording at HQ studios in Northern California, bringing us to today and ten complete songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Do enlighten us.................?

Let's see, the Lulu plays Earth Spirit and Pandoras Box are about a young abused dancers life, up to and including her death at the hands of Jack the Ripper. Mostly about murder suicide,abuse,adultery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

We have an album cover...

lulu_cover.jpg

Advertisement