Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Paula_K wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi15nyO3v6s&feature=player_embedded

So, apparently this clip isn't a joke. This is an actual preview here folks! :P Excuse me while I go bury my head for a while! :D

Thats just so terrible. Lou Reed is just being Lou Reed vocally, he's not going beyond his musical style, there's no energy or edge in his vocals and he's singing over a metal track, so anything with a bit of attitude would be better than just doing a William Shatner minus the emoting. I suppose Metallica aren't really evolving either, they're just being stock Metallica, its like oil and water, its a musical car crash. It could be an album of hilarity though, formerly great bands can descend into that like Queen did and still be good by being so laughably bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

It could be an album of hilarity though, formerly great bands can descend into that like Queen did and still be good by being so laughably bad.

Sorry maybe I misunderstand you, I'm going to have to ask what album exactly by Queen do you think qualified as being so laughably bad that it was an album of hilarity?

Sorry maybe I misunderstand you, I'm going to have to ask what album exactly by Queen do you think qualified as being so laughably bad that it was an album of hilarity?

hehheh, A Kind of Magic and the Miracle, I'd even say Hot Space, though some of the songs like Dancer were pretty good, they could be funny in the wtf were they thinking kind of way as with songs such as Invisible Man. I'm looking forward this album though, it'll be brillantly bad and bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Towards the end Queen, IMO, were a 'circus' act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

scudzilla wrote: »

The fact that there is still a band called Queen and that we haven't actually reached the end adds more weight to your point

EDIT - actually, if this story doesn't make you think of clowns, I don't know what will.

http://www.nme.com/news/queen/59305

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Paula_K

Thats just so terrible. Lou Reed is just being Lou Reed vocally, he's not going beyond his musical style, there's no energy or edge in his vocals and he's singing over a metal track, so anything with a bit of attitude would be better than just doing a William Shatner minus the emoting. I suppose Metallica aren't really evolving either, they're just being stock Metallica, its like oil and water, its a musical car crash. It could be an album of hilarity though, formerly great bands can descend into that like Queen did and still be good by being so laughably bad.

Definitely man, it sounds like some tone deaf idiot put a few songs together on a Youtube fan video or something! :P

I actually like the last 2-3 seconds of the clip when James comes in. That bit sounds good. Pity about the Lou Reed bit though. The vocals sound like they belong with different music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Paula_K

I actually like the last 2-3 seconds of the clip when James comes in. That bit sounds good. Pity about the Lou Reed bit though. The vocals sound like they belong with different music.

We'll always be able to delete Lou Reed's vocal tracks when the full CD comes out so that's something to look forward to at least. :P

scudzilla wrote: »

The only thing circus was the cover of Innuendo and the circus theme

Personally I think Queen produced their best material with The Miracle and Innuendo, I love those albums, they've always been my 2nd and 3rd. I also think Hot Space is questionable, and a lot of A Kind of Magic could have been left by the wayside but I don't think the cons outweigh the pro...Made In Heaven is a bit of a pro tools cut and paste job, quite literally, but still an interesting compilation as opposed to a studio album

I suppose this is massively off topic

Umm...connection, connection...oh yes, did anyone ever read that comment (reprinted in the Binge and Purge booklet) from a reader in Kerrang who said Freddie Mercury would throw up if he ever heard Metallica's version of Stone Cold Crazy? I personally didn't think it was bad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Umm...connection, connection...oh yes, did anyone ever read that comment (reprinted in the Binge and Purge booklet) from a reader in Kerrang who said Freddie Mercury would throw up if he ever heard Metallica's version of Stone Cold Crazy? I personally didn't think it was bad....

I'd love to hear what Mercury made of it. Metallica's version was recorded in 1990 so most likely Mercury may have heard it before he died. It wasn't a radical departure from the original Queen tune.

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'd love to hear what Mercury made of it. Metallica's version was recorded in 1990 so most likely Mercury may have heard it before he died. It wasn't a radical departure from the original Queen tune.

I imagine he did.There was a rumour going around the Queen International fan club that Mercury was a secret guest of the band at their Marquee gig in May 1990, along with the other members of Queen, at the time they were recording Innuendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Obviously the album can't be written off by that sample, it's far too short to determine if the project is sounding good or not.

But surely if they had a whole album ready to go they would have chosen something interesting as the sample?

There wasn't anything strikingly bad about it, but that certainly wasn't anything good.

Obviously the album can't be written off by that sample, it's far too short to determine if the project is sounding good or not.

But surely if they had a whole album ready to go they would have chosen something interesting as the sample?

There wasn't anything strikingly bad about it, but that certainly wasn't anything good.

But strikingly bad to us might mean the best shiit he's ever done to Lars :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I know you can't judge a full album based ion 30 seconds but I really don't like that. I mean I love Lou Reed and Metallica but I can't see them mixing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

well if freddie had hated 'Tallicas version of stone cold crazy i doubt the other lads from Queen would have had him sing and perform with him at the Freddie Mercury Tribute gig!

so at the very least id say he didnt have a problem with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Heres an extended clip of "The View" with more annoying Lou Reed narration (couldnt call it singing)...

I like the bit where Hetfield comes in, but the Lou Reed bits are just terrible.

Was just listening to this. Never was i so glad to hear Hetfield vocals come in on a song. That monotone narrative that Read uses is horrible to listen to.

The music sounds like they went back and ripped some stuff from the Load/ReLoad sessions.

I'm looking forward to when some clever fcuker gets his hands on this and 'removes' Reed's blabbering

I'm going to buy this album but I reckon it's going to be an album I give a couple of listens to then it gets put on the shelf never to be heard again (kind of like St. Anger really)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Howshocowpownw

Metallica > All

• Advertisement

Lou Reed sounds like he just walked into the studio and started ad libbing over a song he hadn't listened to before. There is no feeling, no rhythm, no semblance of melody or dynamics, the words aren't even good. I can't believe they just went "yeah that'll do!"

Lou Reed sounds like he just walked into the studio and started ad libbing over a song he hadn't listened to before. There is no feeling, no rhythm, no semblance of melody or dynamics, the words aren't even good. I can't believe they just went "yeah that'll do!"

Maybe it was one of those Ozzy situations, you know, you'd rather they just worked with a legend past his prime then never have worked with him at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That extended clip is just awful on all levels. Lou Reed I just don't like vocally and he somehow managed to sound even worse on that clip. Terrible stuff from an "artist" that is so highly rated in some quarters.

Musically I thought it sounded tired and uninspired. No life to the music. Just sounds like a band going through the motions played dated music. Of course it could be a case of Reed calling the shots musically but it just sounds deadly dull to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Ah come on!

IF that was posted without naming the performers it would be lambasted for the dirge that it is.

Such a shame so much time went into producing such uninspired grating on the ears garbage. I will be amazed if it sells well.

If that is growing as an artist i would rather be stunted my whole life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I think it's very easy to criticise something based on just 90 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Degag wrote: »

I'm criticising what I heard in the clip. If I heard 90 seconds of music that sounded really good to my ears I would be saying that I am really looking forward to hearing what the rest sounds like.

If anyone hear thinks that the music sound fresh or original, then fair enough that's their opinion and they are just as entitled to their opinion as I am to mine.

Of course if someone comes long and tries to say that Lou Reed's voice sounded good in anyway in that clip, then I will just have to assume that they are tone deaf.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

Degag wrote: »
    It's easy to criticise not because its a 90 second preview but because Lou Reed's vocals over a frankly uninteresting and forgettable Loadesque backing track sounds a bit terrible to be honest, would you disagree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Elrollo wrote: »
    It's easy to criticise not because its a 90 second preview but because Lou Reed's vocals over a frankly uninteresting and forgettable Loadesque backing track sounds a bit terrible to be honest, would you disagree?
    Im not saying anything. I just think it's very OTT to write off an album based on 90 seconds listening which some people are doing. I'll wait to hear the whole thing before giving my views.

In fairness they've been playing for 30 odd years, you're bound to get stale after a while, the only option is to enjoy the familiarity of it or recoil at the stagnation. I think the riff sounded somewhat better than 90% of the uninspired noodling on Death Magnetic, at least the guitars sound better.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone is writing off the album as such but the signs don't augur well for it. Personally,music aside,Reads vocals are horrible to listen to. There's obviously people who enjoy his vocal style but i'd wager that the vast majority of rock & metal fans shudder when listening to it.

I'd imagine they see it as a situation were no-one loses. Both are established acts from different genres. Commercially it's of no significance to either if it fails and in Metallica's case they'll just point to it as a project that required minimum contribution and was something they wanted to do.

Advertisement